Onazi looks to get his career 'out of reverse gear'

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Onazi looks to get his career 'out of reverse gear'

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/54466008

I am more hungry and determined to do extra well. I've lost a lot of grounds, but it can only be better from here on."

Onazi, who won the 2013 Italian Cup, joined as a free agent and admitted he took a big pay cut to earn a way back to the top.

"We had other offers from different places but the main reason I chose Denmark is because I haven't played in a while," he admitted.

"I decided to go to a place where I can have proper fitness, get regular game time and test myself mentally.

"It was not the best option financially but it's the most challenging and it provides a tough physical challenge. The training is physical like the German league.

"It's a short-term plan but I am prepared to take it one week at a time and after this we can look at something bigger."

No deal at Crotone
The move to Denmark came as a surprise to some as he had been pictured undergoing a medical in Italy after reports surfaced over a potential move to Serie A newcomers Crotone.

"It's true I had a medical at Crotone. When I was in Turkey we had an agreement," he confirmed.

"My agent [Ayodele Makinwa] explained everything to me on the phone, but on getting to southern Italy they pulled out of the agreement.

"This happens in football but it's the way of life."

High to low
A down-to-earth type, Onazi feels he is at the right club to help regain lost times.

"For me it's not a step down if you stay in professional football and you are training really good," he added.

"I was injured and didn't have a good training. You need to be actively involved somewhere because training away alone will not get you to sharp fitness.

"Competitive football gives you that responsibility to be ready. It was not about money because if money was the sole motivation I would've gone to Saudi Arabia but it's not yet time for that.

"I need to get back to the right things, train well and build the right muscles. That way I can open myself up for more opportunities elsewhere."

"The most important thing is for people to see me and know that I am very fit. playing regularly for 90 minutes because people know my quality and what I'm all about.

"Being active somewhere is all they need to clear the doubts."
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onazi looks to get his career 'out of reverse gear'

Post by maceo4 »

Good luck, the move makes more sense now.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I hope he can get healthy again and find his form. The way our MF was overall against Algeria, at Afcon and even during WC shows that a %uy with his talents is still needed. The French had to send a hitman to injure before they could win that game. His work and recovery rate is unmatched.
Good luck to El Capitan!
OCCUPY NFF!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Was a big time Onazi fan. I thought the world of him. Then that friendly game against England 2 years ago. Never saw him the same again.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:Was a big time Onazi fan. I thought the world of him. Then that friendly game against England 2 years ago. Never saw him the same again.
He had been nursing an Achilles injury, taking injection to play etc, which eventually ruptured. It’s gonna be tough for him to get back to the player he was, but if he can that would be great for SE, we always knew what we would get from him and he was an engine in that midfield.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I really hope he can get his career back on track. He has represented the SE well on and off the field.

Obodo and Obasi never quite returned to their best after lengthy absences from injuries.
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

A loyal servant and a true titan in GWG in his heydey; I doubt at his age and with his injury history that he can ever be the same again but I hope he can enjoy a few more years at a decent level. Injury na bad ting......for several years he was one of the first names on the team list.

I know the 2013 ANC seems like a century ago but his introduction to the first 11 at RB and then in his favored position of DM changed Naija's fortunes coming out of the group games where we frankly looked ordinary. After the CIV game where he was almost superhuman, I knew we could win the whole thing.....
olu wrote:I really hope he can get his career back on track. He has represented the SE well on and off the field.

Obodo and Obasi never quite returned to their best after lengthy absences from injuries.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

He was solid in the World Cup game against France up until Matuidi broke his leg and got away with it.He was surely missed in that midfield he’s still only 27 so he can still enjoy his career.
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You people can hype average players sha. That's why we have been average for a long time.

I hope he can rebuild his career, but let's stop the hype. He was decent AT TIMES like the many other decent players we've had , but I dont recall these spectacular performances you all are talking about. In fact I think all of you smoke pot before watching a game.

Watch this place get filled with smoke induced posts when we play Tunisia this afternoon.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

1naija wrote:You people can hype average players sha. That's why we have been average for a long time.

I hope he can rebuild his career, but let's stop the hype. He was decent AT TIMES like the many other decent players we've had , but I dont recall these spectacular performances you all are talking about. In fact I think all of you smoke pot before watching a game.

Watch this place get filled with smoke induced posts when we play Tunisia this afternoon.
I hope he has a good career but if he finds self back in a Nigeria shirt then the whole selection and scouting system would be flawed,I would be expecting to see younger players of more quality since he’s played but most people are referring to his last World Cup game in 2014 and not his overall stint with the national team.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
1naija wrote:You people can hype average players sha. That's why we have been average for a long time.

I hope he has a good career but if he finds self back in a Nigeria shirt then the whole selection and scouting system would be flawed,I would be expecting to see younger players of more quality since he’s played but most people are referring to his last World Cup game in 2014 and not his overall stint with the national team.
He was a big part of our 2013 win, 2014 World Cup run, 2018 World Cup Qualification. He's served well, certainly ball retention qualities have dropped in our midfield since Onazi (and Mikel) vacated. Yes Ndidi is all over midfield covering and tracking, but our transition game is affected by his and others substandard handling and distribution of the ball. I can't see him getting back into the NT, but these things can happen, remember Paulinho's fall from grace and return to the big leagues with Barca and Brazil. This step is important for his career to get it back on track, so I wish him good luck.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

KPOM, Onazi was a great servant to the NT no doubt... but he wasn't any spectacular as a player... just another overglorified Etebo- has all the engine to run his socks off but very average technique. I wish him all the best cause I like him as a person, but abeg we have enough runners in the team right now... we need more technical players in that team.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Compared to your clients Yobo and Akpeyi, Onazi was top class for Nigeria.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote:

KPOM, Onazi was a great servant to the NT no doubt... but he wasn't any spectacular as a player... just another overglorified Etebo- has all the engine to run his socks off but very average technique. I wish him all the best cause I like him as a person, but abeg we need more technical players in that team right now.

It was Onazi that kept those French Fuuks at bay in 2014 until that frog eating ba$turd Matuidi injured him. After that, he was never the same player. Onazi is an AFCON winner, and was an integral member of Lazio in 2013-2014. I'd say he was a baller that was heading to Worldclass level. Its not hype my guy. His work on the green grass speaks for itself.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tobi17 wrote:

KPOM, Onazi was a great servant to the NT no doubt... but he wasn't any spectacular as a player... just another overglorified Etebo- has all the engine to run his socks off but very average technique. I wish him all the best cause I like him as a person, but abeg we have enough runners in the team right now... we need more technical players in that team.
Unfortunately spot on. The average Nigerian sadly still doesn't know what a quality player looks like.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Unfortunately spot on. The average Nigerian sadly still doesn't know what a quality player looks like.
Wetin consign us, I'm more worried about the likes of Rohr and co not knowing either, seeing how he's using Ajayi as a midfielder and picked Onyeka and co that txj was waxing lyrical about...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

KPOM, Onazi was a great servant to the NT no doubt... but he wasn't any spectacular as a player... just another overglorified Etebo- has all the engine to run his socks off but very average technique. I wish him all the best cause I like him as a person, but abeg we need more technical players in that team right now.

It was Onazi that kept those French Fuuks at bay in 2014 until that frog eating ba$turd Matuidi injured him. After that, he was never the same player. Onazi is an AFCON winner, and was an integral member of Lazio in 2013-2014. I'd say he was a baller that was heading to Worldclass level. Its not hype my guy. His work on the green grass speaks for itself.
Bros I'm not taking anything away from Onazi, he was a very decent player in his prime. All I'm saying is that he was never really spectacular when playing in the GWG... picture players like Garba Lawal- players who will burst a lung and cover every blade of grass... but after that nothing more. Even in the modern day of football, players like Onazi who are good at running and breaking up play still need some appreciable amount of technique enough to progress the ball forward and offer some goal threat (picture players like Thomas Partey, Casemiro, Busquets etc), who play the same type of role as Onazi, but still have good enough football IQ's to offer attacking threats. I'll stick to my thesis that Onazi was just another overglorifed Etebo who simply had the rare honor of playing next to a very cerebral player like Mikel, so all Onazi had to do was chase down the opponents, disrupt play and do the most simple and unimpressive things like pass sideways or shoot aimlessly at goal.

Onazi balled against France no doubt, but Etebo (a player very similar to Onazi) also balled against the eventual WC finalists Croatia in the last world cup and even completed the most dribbles in the team...no big deal there.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Bros I'm not taking anything away from Onazi, he was a very decent player in his prime. All I'm saying is that he was never really spectacular when playing in the GWG... picture players like Garba Lawal- players who will burst a lung and cover every blade of grass... but after that nothing more. Even in the modern day of football, players like Onazi who are good at running and breaking up play still need some appreciable amount of technique enough to progress the ball forward and offer some goal threat (picture players like Thomas Partey, Casemiro, Busquets etc), who play the same type of role as Onazi, but still have good enough football IQ's to offer attacking threats. I'll stick to my thesis that Onazi was just another overglorifed Etebo who simply had the rare honor of playing next to a very cerebral player like Mikel, so all Onazi had to do was chase down the opponents, disrupt play and do the most simple and unimpressive things like pass sideways or shoot aimlessly at goal.

Onazi balled against France no doubt, but Etebo also balled against Croatia in the last world cup...no big deal there.
But that is just not true, do you want me to drop video links from the Semi Final and Final from ANC 2013 where Mikel was the holding and Onazi was box to box, he was very good in ball retention and getting forward even trying to lob the keeper on one fast counter vs Mali, even in the the 2018 WCQ's where he was more holding and Mikel was the AM he still got forward when possible, I remember the assist cross for Kelechi's goal (number 4) vs Cameroon in Uyo. He wasn't spectacular (but who on our team is/was?), what he was @ the time was an upgrade on who was there before, as he was brought into the tourney as a rookie and a backup who ended up usurping the starter just like Mba did Nosa.

Lets not act like Nigeria is a country filled with world class midfielders which it clearly isn't apart from JJ, Oliseh, and Mikel we can't really boast of top class CM's over the years. Abi una don forget all the useless JJ midfield partners since Oliseh and Finidi were forced into retirement, from Ekong, Olofufujana, to Ayila etc, Onazi was clearly a step up from them...and won things playing very well, so I don't see what the point is in trying to say he wasn't spectacular. If the old Onazi was there today vs Tunisia he would be picking a starting shirt over the current 'spectacles' in camp...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Rohr boys like to put down our heroes. Onazi won ANC and WC 2nd round! A very average performance in comparison to ANC 3rd place and WC group stage!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

He used to be really good but he gained weight and slowed down. Not sure why tho
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Onazi balled against France no doubt, but Etebo also balled against Croatia in the last world cup...no big deal there.
But that is just not true, do you want me to drop video links from the Semi Final and Final from ANC 2013 where Mikel was the holding and Onazi was box to box, he was very good in ball retention and getting forward even trying to lob the keeper on one fast counter vs Mali, even in the the 2018 WCQ's where he was more holding and Mikel was the AM he still got forward when possible, I remember the assist cross for Kelechi's goal (number 4) vs Cameroon in Uyo. He wasn't spectacular (but who on our team is/was?), what he was @ the time was an upgrade on who was there before, as he was brought into the tourney as a rookie and a backup who ended up usurping the starter just like Mba did Nosa.

Lets not act like Nigeria is a country filled with world class midfielders which it clearly isn't apart from JJ, Oliseh, and Mikel we can't really boast of top class CM's over the years. Abi una don forget all the useless JJ midfield partners since Oliseh and Finidi were forced into retirement, from Ekong, Olofufujana, to Ayila etc, Onazi was clearly a step up from them...and won things playing very well, so I don't see what the point is in trying to say he wasn't spectacular. If the old Onazi was there today vs Tunisia he would be picking a starting shirt over the current 'spectacles' in camp...
Like I said, I used to think the world of him.

In a midfield filled with Obi, Pogba, Matuidi & Cabaye, Onazi was the best of the bunch. That was when I became a fan. Spent the rest of the summer arguing with friends how unfair it was that players like Pogba are celebrated (and back then, you couldn't turn right without reading an article saying Pogba was going to be the greatest player in the world), and nobody reckons with the likes of Onazi, even after he bossed all of them. I stuck with him through the move to Turkey, etc. I knew Rohr didn't fancy him that much, and I kept defending and pushing for him.

But boyyyyy, that England friendly....?? The guy fall my hand. Never quite seen him the same. I was literally screaming at my TV (and him).
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

In a midfield filled with Obi, Pogba, Matuidi & Cabaye, Onazi was the best of the bunch. That was when I became a fan. Spent the rest of the summer arguing with friends how unfair it was that players like Pogba are celebrated (and back then, you couldn't turn right without reading an article saying Pogba was going to be the greatest player in the world), and nobody reckons with the likes of Onazi, even after he bossed all of them. I stuck with him through the move to Turkey, etc. I knew Rohr didn't fancy him that much, and I kept defending and pushing for him.

But boyyyyy, that England friendly....?? The guy fall my hand. Never quite seen him the same. I was literally screaming at my TV (and him).
That England friendly was essentially the end of his SE career even though he went to Russia as a vacationer.

That game finished Joel Obi as well.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

vancity eagle wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

That England friendly was essentially the end of his SE career even though he went to Russia as a vacationer.

That game finished Joel Obi as well.
Yep! It was like both of them were thrust into a high profile game against a quality opponent...in an intense atmosphere...and they wilted. The Onazi I used to know would have risen to the occasion, but after that game, I wondered if I used to know him sef...whethere all na film trick.