Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:05 pm
Posts: 4614
The player that annoyed me the most was chukwueze. The same trick, weak on the ball, easily dispossessed, and rarely defends. Honestly, I will prefer Moses Simon on the left and Victor Moses on the right if he can come out of retirement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 30454
Odas wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

The problem is to execute this soccer, you need good, technical players that have great ball control, and can either make split second decisions or know where to send the ball before they even get the ball. Nigeria does not seem to have those kinda players right now, so a lot of our plays die quick deaths....primarily due to a dearth of technical talent.

The easiest solution for Nigeria is to slow the play down with a gifted PLAYMAKER. Someone who has the technical skills to hold the ball and allow Nigerian players to make runs, which he can then service. This fast ball thing exposes our weaknesses IMO. Algeria wasn't that much better (a bit better technically), but they got in front early....

Our BEST team is now lacking technical talent??? So it is now that we LACK talent? Ok ooo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wanaj0, please told dem (according to Zebrudayia)

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

_________________
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 40088
Location: Somewhere
Gotti wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

The problem is to execute this soccer, you need good, technical players that have great ball control, and can either make split second decisions or know where to send the ball before they even get the ball. Nigeria does not seem to have those kinda players right now, so a lot of our plays die quick deaths....primarily due to a dearth of technical talent.

The easiest solution for Nigeria is to slow the play down with a gifted PLAYMAKER. Someone who has the technical skills to hold the ball and allow Nigerian players to make runs, which he can then service. This fast ball thing exposes our weaknesses IMO. Algeria wasn't that much better (a bit better technically), but they got in front early....

Huh?! :shock:

If that’s what he is actually trying to do, then it’s been an unmitigated failure...
This team is about as far from Man City, technically and philosophically, as humanly possible.

Put lipstick on a pig and it’s still bovine...
Rohr has his own (conservatively orthodox) philosophy and it has no visible nexus to Man City’s.


Porcine

_________________
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:40 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 39968
deanotito wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

The problem is to execute this soccer, you need good, technical players that have great ball control, and can either make split second decisions or know where to send the ball before they even get the ball. Nigeria does not seem to have those kinda players right now, so a lot of our plays die quick deaths....primarily due to a dearth of technical talent.

The easiest solution for Nigeria is to slow the play down with a gifted PLAYMAKER. Someone who has the technical skills to hold the ball and allow Nigerian players to make runs, which he can then service. This fast ball thing exposes our weaknesses IMO. Algeria wasn't that much better (a bit better technically), but they got in front early....


Our BEST team is now lacking technical talent??? So it is now that we LACK talent? Ok ooo



Yes, we do. We are, to use a league analogy, a mid-table side....like a Crystal Palace, Osasuna, Wolfsburg. To get where we fans want the team to be (apparently, the soccer Rohr wants the team to play), we need better "technical" talent. Ball control is key. What we have are average players in the ball control department....so when closed down, they just end up losing the ball. If they play teams that give them space, they will do well. But against higher-caliber teams - especially the prepared ones - they will struggle.

In my opinion, this is not a style that plays to our strengths. If we are to be successful, I say we go back to the 90s. Get a playmaker. A good one...allow the speedsters to make runs and find them with the ball. This soccer we are playing right now doesn't work for us.

Yes Osimhen and Ndidi would help. Those 2 are world class. But they will not solve this problem

Anytime I watch Nigeria play, the ball handling is always so bad, I almost want to switch off.


If that is the case, should we change the whole 'team' and import 'technical players' that the coach can use or sack the coach and get a replacement who can achieve great things with our 'carpenter' players.

Keshi did that with players like 'Mba' and won the ANC at FIRST attempt. No carryover :thumbs:

_________________
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13932
Location: USA
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I have simple advice for Rohr. I see what he's trying to do. He's trying to copy the best teams out there with this quick play kinda soccer...think Man City.

The problem is to execute this soccer, you need good, technical players that have great ball control, and can either make split second decisions or know where to send the ball before they even get the ball. Nigeria does not seem to have those kinda players right now, so a lot of our plays die quick deaths....primarily due to a dearth of technical talent.

The easiest solution for Nigeria is to slow the play down with a gifted PLAYMAKER. Someone who has the technical skills to hold the ball and allow Nigerian players to make runs, which he can then service. This fast ball thing exposes our weaknesses IMO. Algeria wasn't that much better (a bit better technically), but they got in front early....


Our BEST team is now lacking technical talent??? So it is now that we LACK talent? Ok ooo



Yes, we do. We are, to use a league analogy, a mid-table side....like a Crystal Palace, Osasuna, Wolfsburg. To get where we fans want the team to be (apparently, the soccer Rohr wants the team to play), we need better "technical" talent. Ball control is key. What we have are average players in the ball control department....so when closed down, they just end up losing the ball. If they play teams that give them space, they will do well. But against higher-caliber teams - especially the prepared ones - they will struggle.

In my opinion, this is not a style that plays to our strengths. If we are to be successful, I say we go back to the 90s. Get a playmaker. A good one...allow the speedsters to make runs and find them with the ball. This soccer we are playing right now doesn't work for us.

Yes Osimhen and Ndidi would help. Those 2 are world class. But they will not solve this problem

Anytime I watch Nigeria play, the ball handling is always so bad, I almost want to switch off.


If that is the case, should we change the whole 'team' and import 'technical players' that the coach can use or sack the coach and get a replacement who can achieve great things with our 'carpenter' players.

Keshi did that with players like 'Mba' and won the ANC at FIRST attempt. No carryover :thumbs:


Disagree. What I’m saying is that Rohr’s proposed style is not optimal for the kind of player he has in his team. The only player with that level of technical ability has since retired ...Mikel Obi.

The team can succeed (and by success, I mean at least a quarter final birth at the WC) but to do that, I think a change of style is necessary.

Playing his current style, Rohr can still maintain Nigeria’s standard as a top 3 African team, but I’m looking for something beyond that.

These players can perform but they need to be put in the right framework.

I hate talking about Keshi on here because I feel the arguments are always emotional. I feel Keshi, by and large, performed just as good as his predecessors/successors. I do not believe he broke any mold. Nigeria is a perennial bronze medalist at the Afcon. 30 years and counting. We were due to win a gold at some point. And we did. But everybody fails to remember that he failed to qualify for the next Afcon....which in my opinion, is way below Nigeria’s standard...just like Berti Vogts getting knocked out in the quarters.

When it comes to breaking the mold for Nigeria, it’s Westerhof and Bonfrere. Amodu had a shot but NFA bad bele no gree am. Keshi also had a shot but self-inflicted wounds at in Brazil did him in IMO. Rohr has a shot ...a real one. But this style to me, is a self-inflicted wound.

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:05 pm
Posts: 4614
The game against Algeria left a bitter taste in my mouth. Complete inspid display. Rohr is simply collecting his big pay before retirement. After 4yrs, our team still has no identity. Even Rohr is so simplistic in his thoughts. Not necessarily a bad thing. I just don't see any level of sophistication in the way he analyzes games. To be honest, I don't see this team winning the AFCON and I see another first round World Cup exit. That's even if we qualify. At 4yrs, I could see Westerhoff's imprint in our team. I don't blame Rohr. It's not his fault. It is Pinnick who thinks foreign is always better that caused this plague on us. Pinnick is all talk!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:33 am
Posts: 4809
Location: Embedded with the nomads in the Sahara
highbury wrote:
The player that annoyed me the most was chukwueze. The same trick, weak on the ball, easily dispossessed, and rarely defends. Honestly, I will prefer Moses Simon on the left and Victor Moses on the right if he can come out of retirement.

When was the last time you watched Victor Moses play a full competitive match?

_________________
Niente Ÿ impossibile!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 40220
Location: Land of the Terrapins
jdizzy wrote:
highbury wrote:
The player that annoyed me the most was chukwueze. The same trick, weak on the ball, easily dispossessed, and rarely defends. Honestly, I will prefer Moses Simon on the left and Victor Moses on the right if he can come out of retirement.

When was the last time you watched Victor Moses play a full competitive match?


He was just at Inter, and he looked good. Now on his way to Russia with love :mrgreen: But bros, the sad thing is that he's still better than every single winger we have...

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13932
Location: USA
Nigeria vs Tunisia:

Apparent that Rohr did exactly what I suggested (not that he saw my comments, but doesn’t matter). Institute a playmaker, slow down the game and let the speedsters make runs off that person. By and large, I believe the game plan worked better than the one against Algeria. At least, it’s the first time under Rohr I’ve seen what most people would call Nigerian soccer.

I’m not opposed to other styles but this is the style I think most suited to the technical skills (actuallly, lack thereof) of Nigeria’s players. Of the 3 teams I’ve watched over the last 5 days, Tunisia actually had the best technical players. Algeria and Nigeria are similar in that department.

I’m not sure Iwobi is the long-term solution for the playmaker role but he did okay.

On other notes, wasn’t impressed with either Akpoguma or Dessers. Semi Ajayi is decent defensively (in the DM position) but he’s a minus offensively. He has no offensive ability, and that’s not good for a DM. Let’s push him back to defense

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:42 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:27 pm
Posts: 9471
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.


I don't want to accept it :D :D :D. So let me just be diplomatic and say that I'm often underwhelmed with our football and performances. Sometimes we have decent performances but too many times there seems to be something missing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:04 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 39968
aruako1 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.


I don't want to accept it :D :D :D. So let me just be diplomatic and say that I'm often underwhelmed with our football and performances. Sometimes we have decent performances but too many times there seems to be something missing.


Maybe the color of the Jersey have something to do with it.

_________________
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13932
Location: USA
wanaj0 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.


I don't want to accept it :D :D :D. So let me just be diplomatic and say that I'm often underwhelmed with our football and performances. Sometimes we have decent performances but too many times there seems to be something missing.


Maybe the color of the Jersey have something to do with it.


There is no reasonable person that would accept that Rohr “is a very bad coach”. It’s a view tantamount to nonsense. He may not be the the greatest coach in the world but he is similarly successful to other Nigeria coaches.

I don’t agree with him all the time. I think he is too rigid and inflexible. But he is a good/successful coach. If he doesn’t deliver on his goals, by all means, he should be let go. But so far, he has.

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 40220
Location: Land of the Terrapins
deanotito wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.


I don't want to accept it :D :D :D. So let me just be diplomatic and say that I'm often underwhelmed with our football and performances. Sometimes we have decent performances but too many times there seems to be something missing.


Maybe the color of the Jersey have something to do with it.


There is no reasonable person that would accept that Rohr “is a very bad coach”. It’s a view tantamount to nonsense. He may not be the the greatest coach in the world but he is similarly successful to other Nigeria coaches.

I don’t agree with him all the time. I think he is too rigid and inflexible. But he is a good/successful coach. If he doesn’t deliver on his goals, by all means, he should be let go. But so far, he has.


Deano tok true, he’s met his tournament goals one out of two times. Please don’t make it seem like he’s met all his goals abeg

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13932
Location: USA
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.


I don't want to accept it :D :D :D. So let me just be diplomatic and say that I'm often underwhelmed with our football and performances. Sometimes we have decent performances but too many times there seems to be something missing.


Maybe the color of the Jersey have something to do with it.


There is no reasonable person that would accept that Rohr “is a very bad coach”. It’s a view tantamount to nonsense. He may not be the the greatest coach in the world but he is similarly successful to other Nigeria coaches.

I don’t agree with him all the time. I think he is too rigid and inflexible. But he is a good/successful coach. If he doesn’t deliver on his goals, by all means, he should be let go. But so far, he has.


Deano tok true, he’s met his tournament goals one out of two times. Please don’t make it seem like he’s met all his goals abeg


WC goals? To get to 2nd round? Ok, I am not sure that was a goal but I stand corrected if it was. But even if he failed at that one, is that so much worse than his predecessors? Would you fire a coach with his record cause he couldn’t overcome Argentina and Croatia?

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:02 pm
Posts: 8145
This, for someone who delivered a perfect deep, long, cross field pass to Moses, who, between him and Iheanacho, fluffed the opportunity, and from someone whose had a brilliant header cleared off the line?
Please name the last time Ndidi had an effort on goal for Nigeria? Or should we discuss ball turnover ratios between Ndidi and Ajayi?
Not saying he is better than Ndidi, but I thought Ajayi turned in a very disciplined performance and brought some steel into the midfield, considering this was only his second time of playing as a DM for Nigeria and notwithstanding the fact that he played as the sole DM (a role Ndidi has yet to perform - he is always complimented by Etebo or Ndidi who pick up the slack).
deanotito wrote:
Nigeria vs Tunisia:

Apparent that Rohr did exactly what I suggested (not that he saw my comments, but doesn’t matter). Institute a playmaker, slow down the game and let the speedsters make runs off that person. By and large, I believe the game plan worked better than the one against Algeria. At least, it’s the first time under Rohr I’ve seen what most people would call Nigerian soccer.

I’m not opposed to other styles but this is the style I think most suited to the technical skills (actuallly, lack thereof) of Nigeria’s players. Of the 3 teams I’ve watched over the last 5 days, Tunisia actually had the best technical players. Algeria and Nigeria are similar in that department.

I’m not sure Iwobi is the long-term solution for the playmaker role but he did okay.

On other notes, wasn’t impressed with either Akpoguma or Dessers. Semi Ajayi is decent defensively (in the DM position) but he’s a minus offensively. He has no offensive ability, and that’s not good for a DM. Let’s push him back to defense


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13932
Location: USA
Otitokoro wrote:
This, for someone who delivered a perfect deep, long, cross field pass to Moses, who, between him and Iheanacho, fluffed the opportunity, and from someone whose had a brilliant header cleared off the line?
Please name the last time Ndidi had an effort on goal for Nigeria? Or should we discuss ball turnover ratios between Ndidi and Ajayi?
Not saying he is better than Ndidi, but I thought Ajayi turned in a very disciplined performance and brought some steel into the midfield, considering this was only his second time of playing as a DM for Nigeria and notwithstanding the fact that he played as the sole DM (a role Ndidi has yet to perform - he is always complimented by Etebo or Ndidi who pick up the slack).
deanotito wrote:
Nigeria vs Tunisia:

Apparent that Rohr did exactly what I suggested (not that he saw my comments, but doesn’t matter). Institute a playmaker, slow down the game and let the speedsters make runs off that person. By and large, I believe the game plan worked better than the one against Algeria. At least, it’s the first time under Rohr I’ve seen what most people would call Nigerian soccer.

I’m not opposed to other styles but this is the style I think most suited to the technical skills (actuallly, lack thereof) of Nigeria’s players. Of the 3 teams I’ve watched over the last 5 days, Tunisia actually had the best technical players. Algeria and Nigeria are similar in that department.

I’m not sure Iwobi is the long-term solution for the playmaker role but he did okay.

On other notes, wasn’t impressed with either Akpoguma or Dessers. Semi Ajayi is decent defensively (in the DM position) but he’s a minus offensively. He has no offensive ability, and that’s not good for a DM. Let’s push him back to defense


My bro, a cross is good. In the right situation, "anybody" can do that. A header cleared off the line is anyone's job. At his height, if he can't head, it would be a shame.

But time after time, ball at his legs, he was unsure of himself in playing the ball forward and initiating attacks...In the final third - a place DMs encroach to from time to time - Ajayi is next to useless. He has no offensive ability at the bottom of the diamond...especially in the final third. So in situations where the winger has to turn around and play the ball back to the center, the chance will most certainly die if he's there.

I like him. He's a good defender. As a makeshift DM, he's decent. But that's what it is...makeshift.

I must add that when I judge Nigeria, I think ahead. I'm not really looking at Afcons and qualifiers....I've seen Nigeria dominate those. Where we haven't dominated is at the top...in the World Cup. That's where these deficiencies get found out....We cannot afford players like Ajayi in a DM position at the world cup. That would be a big error. In fact, I think it is a liability at the Afcon level sef. Friendly game?? Sure, fine.

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 14609
Otitokoro wrote:
This, for someone who delivered a perfect deep, long, cross field pass to Moses, who, between him and Iheanacho, fluffed the opportunity, and from someone whose had a brilliant header cleared off the line?
Please name the last time Ndidi had an effort on goal for Nigeria? Or should we discuss ball turnover ratios between Ndidi and Ajayi?
Not saying he is better than Ndidi, but I thought Ajayi turned in a very disciplined performance and brought some steel into the midfield, considering this was only his second time of playing as a DM for Nigeria and notwithstanding the fact that he played as the sole DM (a role Ndidi has yet to perform - he is always complimented by Etebo or Ndidi who pick up the slack).
deanotito wrote:
Nigeria vs Tunisia:

Apparent that Rohr did exactly what I suggested (not that he saw my comments, but doesn’t matter). Institute a playmaker, slow down the game and let the speedsters make runs off that person. By and large, I believe the game plan worked better than the one against Algeria. At least, it’s the first time under Rohr I’ve seen what most people would call Nigerian soccer.

I’m not opposed to other styles but this is the style I think most suited to the technical skills (actuallly, lack thereof) of Nigeria’s players. Of the 3 teams I’ve watched over the last 5 days, Tunisia actually had the best technical players. Algeria and Nigeria are similar in that department.

I’m not sure Iwobi is the long-term solution for the playmaker role but he did okay.

On other notes, wasn’t impressed with either Akpoguma or Dessers. Semi Ajayi is decent defensively (in the DM position) but he’s a minus offensively. He has no offensive ability, and that’s not good for a DM. Let’s push him back to defense


Kpom.

For some reason Ajayi has become the "easy target" despite the fact he did his job almost perfectly, and his distribution is certainly nowhere near as bad as some are claiming.

The problem was the midfield was bare, not the personnel.

That is on Rohr.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 14609
One thing is sure.

Onyeka and Agu are essentially finished. It is clear Rohr has no confidence in them. He prefers Ajayi over them, and I understand why.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13932
Location: USA
vancity eagle wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:
This, for someone who delivered a perfect deep, long, cross field pass to Moses, who, between him and Iheanacho, fluffed the opportunity, and from someone whose had a brilliant header cleared off the line?
Please name the last time Ndidi had an effort on goal for Nigeria? Or should we discuss ball turnover ratios between Ndidi and Ajayi?
Not saying he is better than Ndidi, but I thought Ajayi turned in a very disciplined performance and brought some steel into the midfield, considering this was only his second time of playing as a DM for Nigeria and notwithstanding the fact that he played as the sole DM (a role Ndidi has yet to perform - he is always complimented by Etebo or Ndidi who pick up the slack).
deanotito wrote:
Nigeria vs Tunisia:

Apparent that Rohr did exactly what I suggested (not that he saw my comments, but doesn’t matter). Institute a playmaker, slow down the game and let the speedsters make runs off that person. By and large, I believe the game plan worked better than the one against Algeria. At least, it’s the first time under Rohr I’ve seen what most people would call Nigerian soccer.

I’m not opposed to other styles but this is the style I think most suited to the technical skills (actuallly, lack thereof) of Nigeria’s players. Of the 3 teams I’ve watched over the last 5 days, Tunisia actually had the best technical players. Algeria and Nigeria are similar in that department.

I’m not sure Iwobi is the long-term solution for the playmaker role but he did okay.

On other notes, wasn’t impressed with either Akpoguma or Dessers. Semi Ajayi is decent defensively (in the DM position) but he’s a minus offensively. He has no offensive ability, and that’s not good for a DM. Let’s push him back to defense


Kpom.

For some reason Ajayi has become the "easy target" despite the fact he did his job almost perfectly, and his distribution is certainly nowhere near as bad as some are claiming.

The problem was the midfield was bare, not the personnel.

That is on Rohr.


What do you mean by "bare"? Does Semi Ajayi need 4 other midfield players around him in order to have a decent midfield? He was essentially set as the bottom of the diamond in the midfield....wetin be bare??? Iwobi in front...He at the bottom....Even if it was 442, does that mean the midfield was bare??

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:09 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43422
Location: UK
deanotito wrote:
I must add that when I judge Nigeria, I think ahead. I'm not really looking at Afcons and qualifiers....I've seen Nigeria dominate those. Where we haven't dominated is at the top...in the World Cup. That's where these deficiencies get found out....We cannot afford players like Ajayi in a DM position at the world cup. That would be a big error. In fact, I think it is a liability at the Afcon level sef. Friendly game?? Sure, fine.
Same here.
I agree 100%

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 30454
Otitokoro wrote:
This, for someone who delivered a perfect deep, long, cross field pass to Moses, who, between him and Iheanacho, fluffed the opportunity, and from someone whose had a brilliant header cleared off the line?
Please name the last time Ndidi had an effort on goal for Nigeria? Or should we discuss ball turnover ratios between Ndidi and Ajayi?
Not saying he is better than Ndidi, but I thought Ajayi turned in a very disciplined performance and brought some steel into the midfield, considering this was only his second time of playing as a DM for Nigeria and notwithstanding the fact that he played as the sole DM (a role Ndidi has yet to perform - he is always complimented by Etebo or Ndidi who pick up the slack).

Fourth time, actually...
Played DM vs Uganda and Liberia (albeit not 90 mins).

Nonetheless, I agree with most of your post, Ndidi is BETTER (which is why he's first choice)...
However, his primary strength is defensive, just as Ajayi, and he has much of the same offensive play issues.

_________________
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 30454
wanaj0 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

some people do not want to accept the obvious-- we have a very bad coach.

I don't want to accept it :D :D :D. So let me just be diplomatic and say that I'm often underwhelmed with our football and performances. Sometimes we have decent performances but too many times there seems to be something missing.

Maybe the color of the Jersey have something to do with it.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

_________________
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 30454
deanotito wrote:
Disagree. What I’m saying is that Rohr’s proposed style is not optimal for the kind of player he has in his team. The only player with that level of technical ability has since retired ...Mikel Obi.

The team can succeed (and by success, I mean at least a quarter final birth at the WC) but to do that, I think a change of style is necessary.

Playing his current style, Rohr can still maintain Nigeria’s standard as a top 3 African team, but I’m looking for something beyond that.

These players can perform but they need to be put in the right framework.

I hate talking about Keshi on here because I feel the arguments are always emotional. I feel Keshi, by and large, performed just as good as his predecessors/successors. I do not believe he broke any mold. Nigeria is a perennial bronze medalist at the Afcon. 30 years and counting. We were due to win a gold at some point. And we did. But everybody fails to remember that he failed to qualify for the next Afcon....which in my opinion, is way below Nigeria’s standard...just like Berti Vogts getting knocked out in the quarters.

When it comes to breaking the mold for Nigeria, it’s Westerhof and Bonfrere. Amodu had a shot but NFA bad bele no gree am. Keshi also had a shot but self-inflicted wounds at in Brazil did him in IMO. Rohr has a shot ...a real one. But this style to me, is a self-inflicted wound.

Interesting how you offset Keshi's winning of the ANC (at first attempt nonetheless) with his subsequent non-qualification (ignoring the administrative turbulence of being fired and rehired in the midst of the qualifiers), but Bonfrere's supposed "breaking of the mold for Nigeria" (presumably by winning an AGE-GRADE competition, with the cusp Westerhoff's 1994 squad, including Kanu, Taribo and Babangida, all of whom got their debut senior caps in 1994 under Westerhoff) is conveniently NOT offset by his leading Nigeria to its WORST-EVER performance at the 1991 WWC and its WORST-EVER WC qualification campaign (losing to the likes of literally war-torn Sierra Leone and Liberia), until a miraculous rescue by Amodu.

Meanwhile, what exactly did Bonfrere achieve as SE (senior national team) coach? Because if we are extending this so-called "breaking the mold" to AGE-GRADE competitions, then please START with Sebastian Brodericks and add Fanny Amun, Paul Hamilton, Tunde Disu, and Samson Siasia (U20 WYC runners-up and 2 Olympic Games medals, in contrast to Bonfrere's abject failure in his second Olympic Games appearance). Furthermore, since you have chosen to contemptibly dismiss Keshi's ANC championship win as simply Nigeria being "due to win a gold at some point", one presumes that you are similarly expecting Rohr to win the next ANC bacon, since we must surely be "due" another merely by showing up enough times. SMH

PS: Btw, essentially lumping together Keshi with Berti Vogts is the height of insolence.

_________________
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA, Google [Bot], Odas and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group