My analysis of the Nigeria vs Tunisia game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: My analysis of the Nigeria vs Tunisia game

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Lolly wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Lolly wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:10 of Rohr’s actions which lead me to fear he has come to the end of the road:

(1) Having four goalkeepers in camp for two friendlies and only playing one

(2) Picking Kenneth Omeruo as rightback ahead of Ola Aina and Tyronne Ebuehi

(3) Playing Semi Ajayi as anchorman

(4) Starting Paul Onuachi ahead of Cyril Dessers

(5) Playing 4-1-5 against Tunisia

(6) Picking Ahmed Musa ahead of Dessers against Tunisia

(7) Starting Moses Simon ahead of Chidera Ejuke

(8) Having a young talent like Samson Tijani in camp for two friendlies and not testing him

(9) Not inviting players like Yusuf Alhassan, Kelechi Nwakali and Ramon Azeez to camp after the injuries to Ndidi, Aribo and Etebo

(10) If you look back to our friendly against England in 2018, Rohr made half time changes when he saw things were going badly. He appears incapable of doing that today. No half time changes were made against Algeria and Tunisia
I agree Rohr didn't take full advantage of both matches. There was no reason for Musa, Omeuro, Ekong, Moses Simon, etc to get extended playing time. We know what they offer. This was the opportunity to give plenty minutes to the likes of Ejuke, Dessers, Akpoguma, and the other new invitees.

I can't figure out why a replacement player in Onuachu who he's already tried out before gets the starting nod over an original call up in Dresses who he's yet to try out.

He then played Onuachu in a formation that didn't capitalise on his skillset.

Ah well.
Could it be because he knows that casual fans would have been calling for his head if we got hammered as we most likely would have been starting with so many rookies?

But he should have taken the risk and played all the rookies even though one or two of them don’t have any business being anywhere near the NT at this point in their careers.
Do the casual fans employ him? Isn't it the NFF? Shouldn't he be doing what is in the best interest of his team rather than worrying about casual fans? Is that the type of coach you want? One that bends to the will of casual fans? Or one that is focused on a goal and will use these friendlies as a way to advance his path to meeting that goal? :???:
Football management is about wining the trust of your employers and the FANS. Both are equally important.

And it's the casual fans that have been calling him a poor coach. The NFF don't think so, hence why they renewed his contract. Does than answer some of your questions? :idea:

And I am sure Rohr has achieved his objective of seeing players closeup and testing some on the pitch but we the casual fans don't know it.
No it doesn't answer my question. He is hired by the NFF how can he please the casual fans when you look at all of us on this site, none can agree on players to invite or formation to use. Majority of us abused Keshi until he won then he was a hero. So at the end of the day the coach just has to focus on doing what he needs to do to achieve the goals his employers have set. He doesn't have to please any fans in doing so as he won't be able to please everybody, winning will be what pleases the fans, so you don't cut your nose to spite your face. If the decisions he made during these friendlies don't help him win then the same casual fans will call for his head as well AND more importantly those that hired him will lose confidence in him...
So really your argument is with Lolly who suggested Rohr might be trying to satisfy the fans.
The way you are going on it’s like Rohr told you this or you read an article quoting him.

For all you know, he has done exactly what you suggested: doing his own thing.
So don’t waste your saliva arguing over nothing.
COVID dey town.
Yea I'm responding directly to Lolly's take now, that if that is what he believes is happening, then I'm wondering why he's so comfortable with that? :???:

If you want my opinion, I don't believe that is what is happening, it has nothing to do with fans, he did what he did to save his bacon with the NFF and make sure he keeps his job. Its not about a long term thing if trying those players might hurt him in the short term, as a conservative coach he will do what it takes to keep his 401k going.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

vancity eagle wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Kelechi Nwakali
Alhassan Yusuf
Samson Tijani
Mikel Agu
Frank Onyeka
Ramon Azeez

Anyone of them could have played that anchorman role better than Semi Ajayi. As a rule of thumb, Nigeria should never take to the field without at least two of such players on the pitch.

Rohr should have used these two friendlies to find replacements for Ndidi, Aribo and Etebo. He just wasted both matches.

Ajayi had a good game in both matches.

You have no clue what you are talking about. He is BY FAR our best DM after Ndidi, and dont be surprised when he starts in that position next month.

Our problems today were all on Rohr and his IDIOTIC DECISIONS.

Ajayi is actually one of the few things Rohr got right.
Not true, lost the ball plenty of times, but I can’t fault him. His skill set isn’t made for the role Rorh forced on him. The second half against Tunisia I can count at least 5 times he lost the ball, that is way too much.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Rohr confirms Benin for next afcon qualifiers. Unclear if fans will be allowed to watch match. Rohrs says Kevin Akpoguma can play right or middle back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFvOJA_BP8
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Lolly wrote:
theYemster wrote: I agree Rohr didn't take full advantage of both matches. There was no reason for Musa, Omeuro, Ekong, Moses Simon, etc to get extended playing time. We know what they offer. This was the opportunity to give plenty minutes to the likes of Ejuke, Dessers, Akpoguma, and the other new invitees.

I can't figure out why a replacement player in Onuachu who he's already tried out before gets the starting nod over an original call up in Dresses who he's yet to try out.

He then played Onuachu in a formation that didn't capitalise on his skillset.

Ah well.
Could it be because he knows that casual fans would have been calling for his head if we got hammered as we most likely would have been starting with so many rookies?

But he should have taken the risk and played all the rookies even though one or two of them don’t have any business being anywhere near the NT at this point in their careers.
As maceo4 said, he cant and shouldn't be worried about what the fans will say.

I'm not speaking as a coach cos I'm sure he knows better than I do. However his selections didn't make sense logic wise. Now wth two international friendlies concluded I doubt he knows more about those newbies than he did before the matches.

And I disagree, I believe most people would've been understanding if he had come out and said beforehand that due to the limited opportunities for games this year because of covid, he's just going to play all the newbies so he has as much time as possible to assess them (against African opposition) before the next competitive games. Especially as Osimhen, Ndidi, Aribo and Etebo were all also missing.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Its incredibly amazing at what some folks chose to pay attention to during Nigeria's matches.
Newsflash #1: Ndidi makes a TON of unforced errors, from losing the ball to turnovers (wrong passes). Go watch ANY of the Nigeria matches in the last 2 years and focus on Ndidi - perhaps this will enlighten your perception of him.
Ajayi did EXTREMELY well in a role he played that was pretty much alien to him at the National level, against TWO of the top 5 African teams (Tunisia at #2 and Algeria @ #4). Very good and commendable performance, if you ask me. He brought a different perspective to playing the DM role, which was good. To those looking for an Ndidi clone - good luck in your search. Hopefully, you'll find one in the next 3-5 yrs!
Newsflash #2: Baring injury and a miraculous Ndidi return, Ajayi WILL be a shoo-in for that role against Sierra Leone. You can take that to the bank and cash it!
okidoki wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

You have no clue what you are talking about. He is BY FAR our best DM after Ndidi, and dont be surprised when he starts in that position next month.

Not true, lost the ball plenty of times, but I can’t fault him. His skill set isn’t made for the role Rorh forced on him. The second half against Tunisia I can count at least 5 times he lost the ball, that is way too much.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Otitokoro wrote:Its incredibly amazing at what some folks chose to pay attention to during Nigeria's matches.
Newsflash #1: Ndidi makes a TON of unforced errors, from losing the ball to turnovers (wrong passes). Go watch ANY of the Nigeria matches in the last 2 years and focus on Ndidi - perhaps this will enlighten your perception of him.
Ajayi did EXTREMELY well in a role he played that was pretty much alien to him at the National level, against TWO of the top 5 African teams (Tunisia at #2 and Algeria @ #4). Very good and commendable performance, if you ask me. He brought a different perspective to playing the DM role, which was good. To those looking for an Ndidi clone - good luck in your search. Hopefully, you'll find one in the next 3-5 yrs!
Newsflash #2: Baring injury and a miraculous Ndidi return, Ajayi WILL be a shoo-in for that role against Sierra Leone. You can take that to the bank and cash it!
okidoki wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

kpom kpom kpom

Somebody knows what they are talking about.

Not the usual emotive rubbish spewed on this forum.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

It is clear that not only from the 2 matches, but the training sessions, that Rohr was not happy with either Onyeka or Agu at the DM position and that he saw much more in Ajayi.

Instead of giving him credit for thinking outside the box (on this particular occasion) people act as if playing Ajayi at DM was what was responsible for our poor outings, when that was actually one of the few positions that worked.

Ajayi will be playing DM vs Sierra Leone, and his position in SE is now more secure than ever. He will be Rohrs new "Shehu abdullahi" who can play both CD and DM. Very valuable player to have.

And those who don't like it can hug transformer. Until we find someone else Ajayi is the best deputy to Ndidi when it comes to the DM position.

And people act like Ndidis distribution is all that and that he doesn't give the ball away . Was it not his mistake that lead to Algerias last minute free kick in which they beat us in the semi finals ?
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Not only that, his poor, needless tackle at the edge of the box led to the freekick, which he also deflected in (because he turned his back to the ball, being part of the wall) for Madagascar's second goal during AFCON. Ndidi is NOT without some shortcomings.
vancity eagle wrote:...
And people act like Ndidi's distribution is all that and that he doesn't give the ball away . Was it not his mistake that lead to Algeria's last minute free kick in which they beat us in the semi finals?