NIGERIAN DEFENDERS PLAYING IN TOP FLIGHT LEAGUES

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
NIGERIAN DEFENDERS PLAYING IN TOP FLIGHT LEAGUES

Post by deanotito »

Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)

Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)

I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIAN DEFENDERS PLAYING IN TOP FLIGHT LEAGUES

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Should we ask Van Dyk to switch to Nigeria or cap Coulibaly and change his name to kola Bello? :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

deanotito wrote:Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem

Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins

I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division

Tosin Adarabioyo- West Brom

Junior Pius - Antwerp

Jordan T- Hertha (May switch soon)

Felix Udokhai- Ausborg(May Switch soon)
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem

Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins

Shehu is actually a Midfielder and his team are in the top division & are also in the Europa League group stages.

There’s also Ola Aina with Fulham, Saturday Keigo with Cadiz in La Liga, Junior Pius at Antwerp, Chima Akas at Beleneses in Portugal, Ozornwafor at Galatasaray, and even Godswill Ekpolo with BK Hacken in Sweden. In terms of what we need Defender has been the least of our problems compared to the lack of depth we have in midfield where we think it makes sense to start a defender.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

when did you ever have top defenders playing in the top leagues.

in the last twenty years, Taribo West and Yobo, Babayaro thats it.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

To be fair we have more defenders now playing in top to decent leagues than we did in recent history, how many of the defenders in the '94 golden generation were even starters in the top leagues of the time? I can only think of Taribo and Babayaro from that generation, and most recent years Yobo at Everton.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

isnt Aina now laying wing back at fullam
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem

Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins

Zaidu started today and got an assist and survived a sending off thanks to VAR and was against one of Portos biggest rivals Sporting,I think he’ll improve (hopefully on his defensive abilities).
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem

Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins

Zaidu started today and got an assist and survived a sending off thanks to VAR and was against one of Portos biggest rivals Sporting,I think he’ll improve (hopefully on his defensive abilities).
Zaidu was rated 7.9/10. Highest rating on the field. He's good defensively, the guy Porto just sold to make room for him wasn't that good defensively either. He's already a top notch LB but Nigerians won't appreciate him until he plays in London.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14907 ... P-FC-Porto
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem

Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins

Zaidu was rated 7.9/10. Highest rating on the field. He's good defensively, the guy Porto just sold to make room for him wasn't that good defensively either. He's already a top notch LB but Nigerians won't appreciate him until he plays in London.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14907 ... P-FC-Porto
He’s good but I watched the whole game and yes he can defend but there’s a lot of room for improvement.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

ANC wrote:when did you ever have top defenders playing in the top leagues.

First of all, I said in the top flight, not the top leagues. There is a slight difference. What I mean is players playing in the what is essentially the division 1/premier league of their countries.

And I would say that I don’t remember a single period in the past 25-30 years where 3 or 4 of our bonafide defensive starters were playing in the 2nd division. Nope. I don’t. Troost, Omeruoh, Awaziem and Balogun are more than likely to produce the CD pairing than any other set of players. 3 of them are in the 2nd division.

Also, if the contention is that this is no different than any time during the last 20 years (and I disagree with this), then I hope we’re all ready for Semi-final Afcon elimination/Golden Bronzes/Labored WC qualification/1st round exit... cause that defines the last 20’years.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Tobi17 wrote:To be fair we have more defenders now playing in top to decent leagues than we did in recent history, how many of the defenders in the '94 golden generation were even starters in the top leagues of the time? I can only think of Taribo and Babayaro from that generation, and most recent years Yobo at Everton.
Again, I have to stress that I meant top flight and top leagues. I mean Division 1s/Premier Leagues. And I dare say, since 1994, we’ve never had it as bad as we do now.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

deanotito wrote:
ANC wrote:when did you ever have top defenders playing in the top leagues.

First of all, I said in the top flight, not the top leagues. There is a slight difference. What I mean is players playing in the what is essentially the division 1/premier league of their countries.

And I would say that I don’t remember a single period in the past 25-30 years where 3 or 4 of our bonafide defensive starters were playing in the 2nd division. Nope. I don’t. Troost, Omeruoh, Awaziem and Balogun are more than likely to produce the CD pairing than any other set of players. 3 of them are in the 2nd division.

Also, if the contention is that this is no different than any time during the last 20 years (and I disagree with this), then I hope we’re all ready for Semi-final Afcon elimination/Golden Bronzes/Labored WC qualification/1st round exit... cause that defines the last 20’years.
Balogun is not in the second division. Do your research.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I could be wrong but think Brian Idowu is not a defender but a winger.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Tobi17 wrote:To be fair we have more defenders now playing in top to decent leagues than we did in recent history, how many of the defenders in the '94 golden generation were even starters in the top leagues of the time? I can only think of Taribo and Babayaro from that generation, and most recent years Yobo at Everton.
And those 2 joined after the 1994 World Cup.
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Zaidu Sanussi would be a starter at Porto now, Alex Telles the first choice for that position has left for Man Utd... If Zaidu didint play over the weekend, it could be injury related, from the Tunisian game..
afc##
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

chuks69 wrote:Zaidu Sanussi would be a starter at Porto now, Alex Telles the first choice for that position has left for Man Utd... If Zaidu didint play over the weekend, it could be injury related, from the Tunisian game..
He played the full game and even assisted a goal!