Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)


Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)


I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
Posts: 19513
Should we ask Van Dyk to switch to Nigeria or cap Coulibaly and change his name to kola Bello? :roll:

_________________
OCCUPY NFF!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:27 am
Posts: 25241
Location: your girls place
deanotito wrote:
Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)


Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)


I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division



Tosin Adarabioyo- West Brom

Junior Pius - Antwerp

Jordan T- Hertha (May switch soon)

Felix Udokhai- Ausborg(May Switch soon)

_________________
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

Assanal fans on CE are the biggest hypocrites on the web.

A-J-A-X for life!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 9969
deanotito wrote:
Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)


Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)


I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division

Shehu is actually a Midfielder and his team are in the top division & are also in the Europa League group stages.

There’s also Ola Aina with Fulham, Saturday Keigo with Cadiz in La Liga, Junior Pius at Antwerp, Chima Akas at Beleneses in Portugal, Ozornwafor at Galatasaray, and even Godswill Ekpolo with BK Hacken in Sweden. In terms of what we need Defender has been the least of our problems compared to the lack of depth we have in midfield where we think it makes sense to start a defender.

_________________
Follow me on twitter:
https://twitter.com/Supereaglescomp


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 12879
when did you ever have top defenders playing in the top leagues.

in the last twenty years, Taribo West and Yobo, Babayaro thats it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Posts: 3541
To be fair we have more defenders now playing in top to decent leagues than we did in recent history, how many of the defenders in the '94 golden generation were even starters in the top leagues of the time? I can only think of Taribo and Babayaro from that generation, and most recent years Yobo at Everton.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 12513
Location: seattle
isnt Aina now laying wing back at fullam

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 14764
Location: South London
deanotito wrote:
Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)


Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)


I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division

Zaidu started today and got an assist and survived a sending off thanks to VAR and was against one of Portos biggest rivals Sporting,I think he’ll improve (hopefully on his defensive abilities).

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
Posts: 19513
Eaglezbeak wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)


Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)


I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division

Zaidu started today and got an assist and survived a sending off thanks to VAR and was against one of Portos biggest rivals Sporting,I think he’ll improve (hopefully on his defensive abilities).


Zaidu was rated 7.9/10. Highest rating on the field. He's good defensively, the guy Porto just sold to make room for him wasn't that good defensively either. He's already a top notch LB but Nigerians won't appreciate him until he plays in London.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14907 ... P-FC-Porto

_________________
OCCUPY NFF!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 14764
Location: South London
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Semi Ajayi
Tyrone Ebuehi
Kevin Akpoguma
Bryan Idowu
Chidozie Awaziem
Zaidu Sanusi * (not a starter)


Nigerian Defenders Playing in the 2nd Division:
Leon Balogun
William Troost-Ekong
Kenneth Omeruoh
Jamilu Collins
Shehu Abdullahi *(Cypriot first division)


I think there are exceptions in life/football, but on average the best players play in the best leagues and in the best teams in the best leagues. Looking at the above, we have average to a little worse than average defenders. Even many of those in the top leagues are either on the bench or starting for bottom of the table sides. Our results are bound to show this dearth in quality. Our stalwart/regular defenders are in the 2nd division

Zaidu started today and got an assist and survived a sending off thanks to VAR and was against one of Portos biggest rivals Sporting,I think he’ll improve (hopefully on his defensive abilities).


Zaidu was rated 7.9/10. Highest rating on the field. He's good defensively, the guy Porto just sold to make room for him wasn't that good defensively either. He's already a top notch LB but Nigerians won't appreciate him until he plays in London.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14907 ... P-FC-Porto

He’s good but I watched the whole game and yes he can defend but there’s a lot of room for improvement.

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
ANC wrote:
when did you ever have top defenders playing in the top leagues.

in the last twenty years, Taribo West and Yobo, Babayaro thats it.


First of all, I said in the top flight, not the top leagues. There is a slight difference. What I mean is players playing in the what is essentially the division 1/premier league of their countries.

And I would say that I don’t remember a single period in the past 25-30 years where 3 or 4 of our bonafide defensive starters were playing in the 2nd division. Nope. I don’t. Troost, Omeruoh, Awaziem and Balogun are more than likely to produce the CD pairing than any other set of players. 3 of them are in the 2nd division.

Also, if the contention is that this is no different than any time during the last 20 years (and I disagree with this), then I hope we’re all ready for Semi-final Afcon elimination/Golden Bronzes/Labored WC qualification/1st round exit... cause that defines the last 20’years.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
Tobi17 wrote:
To be fair we have more defenders now playing in top to decent leagues than we did in recent history, how many of the defenders in the '94 golden generation were even starters in the top leagues of the time? I can only think of Taribo and Babayaro from that generation, and most recent years Yobo at Everton.


Again, I have to stress that I meant top flight and top leagues. I mean Division 1s/Premier Leagues. And I dare say, since 1994, we’ve never had it as bad as we do now.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 pm
Posts: 720
deanotito wrote:
ANC wrote:
when did you ever have top defenders playing in the top leagues.

in the last twenty years, Taribo West and Yobo, Babayaro thats it.


First of all, I said in the top flight, not the top leagues. There is a slight difference. What I mean is players playing in the what is essentially the division 1/premier league of their countries.

And I would say that I don’t remember a single period in the past 25-30 years where 3 or 4 of our bonafide defensive starters were playing in the 2nd division. Nope. I don’t. Troost, Omeruoh, Awaziem and Balogun are more than likely to produce the CD pairing than any other set of players. 3 of them are in the 2nd division.

Also, if the contention is that this is no different than any time during the last 20 years (and I disagree with this), then I hope we’re all ready for Semi-final Afcon elimination/Golden Bronzes/Labored WC qualification/1st round exit... cause that defines the last 20’years.

Balogun is not in the second division. Do your research.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 10:44 am
Posts: 3870
I could be wrong but think Brian Idowu is not a defender but a winger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 318
Tobi17 wrote:
To be fair we have more defenders now playing in top to decent leagues than we did in recent history, how many of the defenders in the '94 golden generation were even starters in the top leagues of the time? I can only think of Taribo and Babayaro from that generation, and most recent years Yobo at Everton.


And those 2 joined after the 1994 World Cup.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:24 pm
Posts: 645
Location: moscow,Russia
Zaidu Sanussi would be a starter at Porto now, Alex Telles the first choice for that position has left for Man Utd... If Zaidu didint play over the weekend, it could be injury related, from the Tunisian game..

_________________
afc##


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 14764
Location: South London
chuks69 wrote:
Zaidu Sanussi would be a starter at Porto now, Alex Telles the first choice for that position has left for Man Utd... If Zaidu didint play over the weekend, it could be injury related, from the Tunisian game..

He played the full game and even assisted a goal!

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 59 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group