I have come to the conclusion..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

highbury
Egg
Egg
I have come to the conclusion..

Post by highbury »

I have come to the conclusion that Rohr is an average coach at best. After watching the game against Algeria again, this man set up Onuachu to fail. Onuachu was never played to his strengths. He hardly got any crosses, let alone decent crosses in the box. Kalu and Chukwueze's performance were completely abysmal which reflected poorly on Onuachu. Whoever said he didn't play well without identifying the reason have no idea what football is all about. I feel bad for him. I am convinced, he will keep scoring at Genk because the Coaches there no how to play to his strengths.
If Rohr was that good, why no French side or German side are lining up for his services? Do I want him to be sacked now? No! But I question the judgement of those that hired him.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I have come to the conclusion..

Post by deanotito »

You people and all this panic. When was the last time you saw a Nigerian player who could play a decent cross?? And that is Rohr's fault??

I haven't seen a decent crosser since Finidi...a very distant second is Osaze...and I'm being kind to Osaze sef

My problem with Onuachu is that he is not a player suited to our strengths...and Rohr cannot fix that. The only thing he can do is stop playing him. How do you even know that Onuachu can put in a decent header?? Or you think na by height alone??
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:You people and all this panic. When was the last time you saw a Nigerian player who could play a decent cross?? And that is Rohr's fault??

I haven't seen a decent crosser since Finidi...a very distant second is Osaze...and I'm being kind to Osaze sef

My problem with Onuachu is that he is not a player suited to our strengths...and Rohr cannot fix that. The only thing he can do is stop playing him. How do you even know that Onuachu can put in a decent header?? Or you think na by height alone??
Why can't **** understand this? :???:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

highbury wrote:I have come to the conclusion that Rohr is an average coach at best. After watching the game against Algeria again, this man set up Onuachu to fail. Onuachu was never played to his strengths. He hardly got any crosses, let alone decent crosses in the box. Kalu and Chukwueze's performance were completely abysmal which reflected poorly on Onuachu. Whoever said he didn't play well without identifying the reason have no idea what football is all about. I feel bad for him. I am convinced, he will keep scoring at Genk because the Coaches there no how to play to his strengths.
If Rohr was that good, why no French side or German side are lining up for his services? Do I want him to be sacked now? No! But I question the judgement of those that hired him.

I liked Rohr initially, but I think he is limited. The friendlies show he does not have any clear tactics. It seems his plan is to assemble good players and tell them with German accent, "oya, make una go do una thing".
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

1naija wrote:
highbury wrote:I have come to the conclusion that Rohr is an average coach at best. After watching the game against Algeria again, this man set up Onuachu to fail. Onuachu was never played to his strengths. He hardly got any crosses, let alone decent crosses in the box. Kalu and Chukwueze's performance were completely abysmal which reflected poorly on Onuachu. Whoever said he didn't play well without identifying the reason have no idea what football is all about. I feel bad for him. I am convinced, he will keep scoring at Genk because the Coaches there no how to play to his strengths.

I liked Rohr initially, but I think he is limited. The friendlies show he does not have any clear tactics. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: It seems his plan is to assemble good players and tell them with German accent, "oya, make una go do una thing".
'Thunder don't forget your left'
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The only surprising thing here is that you are just realizing Rohr is a limited coach... infact the unpopular rule of thumb here is that he has probably overachieved with this team, considering how very average he is as a coach.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

At least someone is saying it, it was so bad that Sanusi created more chances for Onuachu than the two wingers and besides that it was just a long ball galore with next to no plan. His record speaks for itself as he’s getting close to 100 career goals in Europe so that already says a lot about his quality IMO. If we want the best out of him Moses Simon is a must on that wing as he’s the only one that seems to understand the primary role of the position which is to create chances.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

wanaj0 wrote:
1naija wrote:

I liked Rohr initially, but I think he is limited. The friendlies show he does not have any clear tactics. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: It seems his plan is to assemble good players and tell them with German accent, "oya, make una go do una thing".
'Thunder don't forget your left'
Una no well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Onuachu has scored again like I earlier predicted. Not rocket science. We have a poor coach folks who doesn't know how to set up a team to his players strengths. So easy to blame the player when the problem was poor tactics and poor knowledge of the game. Rohr is street smart. Please make all the money you need to get from gullible Nigerians. You will need it!! Kudos!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

SE do not have the players to put in decent crosses. We also need mobile forwards who are not one dimensional. ROHR was right when he said we will not change the way we play for Onuachu, but then he was wrong to play him in that system.

We have other players scoring in leagues of much better quality. The defending in Belgium is comical.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote:SE do not have the players to put in decent crosses. We also need mobile forwards who are not one dimensional. ROHR was right when he said we will not change the way we play for Onuachu, but then he was wrong to play him in that system.

We have other players scoring in leagues of much better quality. The defending in Belgium is comical.
Why did they invite him if we don't have players that give crosses? Moses Simon, a decent crosser of the ball didn't even play the game. Rohr is clearly not a great student of the game. His mindset is stuck in the 80's.
Besides, a good coach knows that he needs to have different dimensions in his team to face diffeent challenges. It is easy to see how Nigeria was conquered by the Europeans.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Considering he was the coach that gave him his first cap for Nigeria that is sad!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Considering he was the coach that gave him his first cap for Nigeria that is sad!
Yes! He set him up to fail does not necessarily means he wanted him to fail. Clearly, if you read and comprehend the whole text you will know that I was pointing out his tactical deficiency.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

highbury,

You are correct. However, note that it isn't because Rohr does not know what to do (I suppose). He was actually asked this very question by the Nigerian media BEFORE the two international friendlies.

Rohr plainly stated that Nigeria WILL NOT change its game for Onuachu. Those were his words. The retort then is: Why invite him (Onuachu)? If you watched that game closely (v Algeria), you will notice that even the several FKs did not appear to be targeted at Onuachu either. IMO, that was baffling.

We often see several national teams use players who can dominate uptop to great advantage with FKs but in our case that does not seem to be a consideration.

The last time Nigeria utilized a player like Onuachu was when Amodu used Agali to devastating effect in the WCQs years ago. Rohr does not see the need for any of that, it seems.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

But why would anybody build a team strtegy around Onuachu of all people?
He is a striker - a very tall one - and should have heading as an additional strength.
But you can't build around that alone.

I don't ever recall England or any club building their team around Peter Crouch and he actually had some decent ball skills.

Onuachu was invited to fit into the team. Do your thing on the ground and in the air. Nobody would be stupid enough to waste the skills of Iwobi, Kalu, Chukwueze, Moses and Ejuke on one gongoshu wey dey perch for tree top.
Abeg. That experiment has been aborted.
Next.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damunk wrote:But why would anybody build a team strtegy around Onuachu of all people?
He is a striker - a very tall one - and should have heading as an additional strength.

I don't ever recall England or any club building their team around Peter Crouch and he actually had some decent ball skills.

Onuachu was invited to fit into the team. Do your thing on the ground and in the air. Nobody would be stupid enough to waste the skills of Iwobi, Kalu, Chukwueze, Moses and Ejuke on one gongoshu wey dey perch for tree top.
Next.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

People forget that Onuachu actually started our first ANC game, and he was piss poor. He has had more chances to prove himself than plenty of other players. ABEG we ain't missing nothing. Next.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Enugu II wrote:
highbury,

You are correct. However, note that it isn't because Rohr does not know what to do (I suppose). He was actually asked this very question by the Nigerian media BEFORE the two international friendlies.

Rohr plainly stated that Nigeria WILL NOT change its game for Onuachu. Those were his words. The retort then is: Why invite him (Onuachu)? If you watched that game closely (v Algeria), you will notice that even the several FKs did not appear to be targeted at Onuachu either. IMO, that was baffling.

We often see several national teams use players who can dominate uptop to great advantage with FKs but in our case that does not seem to be a consideration.

The last time Nigeria utilized a player like Onuachu was when Amodu used Agali to devastating effect in the WCQs years ago. Rohr does not see the need for any of that, it seems.
Enugu II, I don't believe Rohr was completely honest when he stated that Nigeria will not change its game for Onuachu. Onuachu has a different skill set from the other players in that role which was suggestive to me that maybe Rohr had some thought to it. However, when he featured him with those 2 ineffective wingers without attempting to change anything till late in the game showed me that the man wasn't really up to the task.
This man is so 80's it's not even funny. His level of knowledge of the game is so basic. Till today, Nigeria still does not even have a clear style of play. It's been 4years going on 5.. At least Rohr is richer today than 4years ago.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Damunk wrote:But why would anybody build a team strtegy around Onuachu of all people?

Next.
No one is claiming that the team should be built around Onuachu. The point is that his invitation was suggestive that Rohr wanted to explore a different dimension in the setup of the team but never placed the right tools to fully explore the options.
Please, don't refer to England. I am sorry I clearly do not rate them as a first class team or a team with the good point of reference.
I am just saying that Rohr is not a great manager for the SE. I hope I am wrong.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote:

Next.
No one is claiming that the team should be built around Onuachu. The point is that his invitation was suggestive that Rohr wanted to explore a different dimension in the setup of the team but never placed the right tools to fully explore the options.
Please, don't refer to England. I am sorry I clearly do not rate them as a first class team or a team with the good point of reference.
I am just saying that Rohr is not a great manager for the SE. I hope I am wrong.
This is you crafting the narrative to fit your own sentiments.

Onuachu was scoring goals for his team. On paper he merited a call-up and there were even those here on CE that questioned Rohr's "intelligence' for inviting Dessers instead of Onuachu. After all, Onuachu was benching Dessers at the same club.

So he was invited on merit, not because of his height or aerial threat. That was supposed to be a bonus but it turned out that yet again, he didn't deliver on the ground talk less in the air.
If Kalu, Chukwueze, Moses etc failed to provide aerial balls for him to feed on, I am pretty sure it wasn't because Rohr instructed them not to. But I guess you beg to differ on that.

Or maybe they suddenly forgot how to make crosses. Or even maybe they never knew how to cross in the first place, in which case inviting them to the SE was a colossal mistake and Rohr obviously is too dumb to know better. But I am sure you can provide him with names of better Nigerian wingers to make pin-point Finidi-like crosses. :D

As for England, you can rate them as lowly as you want. It is your prerogative.
Results and ratings beg to differ.
Nuff said.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Next.
:rotf: Rohr gave the boy ample opportunities in fact Onuachu scored on his debut and that goal wasn’t from a header,if Onuachu can’t adapt he just isn’t suited to Nigerian National team.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Next.
Funny how France and Chelsea often switch tactics specifically for Olivier Giroud...
But, hey, France is only the reigning World Champions while England won the WC before most CEs were born.

Last edited by Gotti on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Eaglezbeak wrote: :rotf: Rohr gave the boy ample opportunities in fact Onuachu scored on his debut and that goal wasn’t from a header,if Onuachu can’t adapt he just isn’t suited to Nigerian National team.
So exactly how dumb does the coach have to be to keep inviting and playing him? :blink:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL