It wasn’t that bad...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
It wasn’t that bad...

Post by YUJAM »

Watched the game on BEIN last night.
I think the team didn’t play terribly. There were a few big mistakes that led to goals:
Iwobi, Chukwuze, Madueke and the CBs were culpable for the goals. But these guys are yet to gel and I think these issues will be fixed soon.

That said there are a few players who may not have the quality to represent the team at the highest level:
The jury is still out on the goalie. But he starts for Sparta so the potential must be there. Maybe this was a one-off bad game for him.

Aribo. Looked weak and ineffectual in midfield. How does he do against tougher opposition? He needs to prove himself

The RB Kevin didn’t look like a RB.

Sanusi even though he starts for Porto, he was underwhelming in my view. His crossing was really poor. Maybe a one-off?

There may be some changes in the lineup needed based on the performance of some players. The core of the team is strong and young when you think of guys like Vic, Ndidi, Etebo, Chukwueze, Awaziem, Omeruo and Iwobi They’ll be around for a while. The rest of the positions can be resolved with some tinkering.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: It wasn’t that bad...

Post by Mr Shows »

The issue is the trend... Yesterday's performance was in keeping with our last few games. Rohr has not got his head around the m/f ball possession, retention and distribution issue. Ebuehi should have started yesterday's game and we all saw what happened the last time Kevin was played out of position at right back..It was questionable starting Musa. The underlying issues are more worrying than the result.

There is no spark and no leader in the team. We always seem to be playing in a straight jacket.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It was bad. Enyimba can beat Sierra Leone. That was a loss, a disgrace.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

YUJAM wrote:Watched the game on BEIN last night.
I think the team didn’t play terribly. There were a few big mistakes that led to goals:
Iwobi, Chukwuze, Madueke and the CBs were culpable for the goals. But these guys are yet to gel and I think these issues will be fixed soon.

That said there are a few players who may not have the quality to represent the team at the highest level:
The jury is still out on the goalie. But he starts for Sparta so the potential must be there. Maybe this was a one-off bad game for him.

Aribo. Looked weak and ineffectual in midfield. How does he do against tougher opposition? He needs to prove himself

Sanusi even though he starts for Porto, he was underwhelming in my view. His crossing was really poor. Maybe a one-off?

There may be some changes in the lineup needed based on the performance of some players. The core of the team is strong and young when you think of guys like Vic, Ndidi, Etebo, Chukwueze, Awaziem, Omeruo and Iwobi They’ll be around for a while. The rest of the positions can be resolved with some tinkering.
It was bad bro. It was a total mental breakdown. The coach is 100% responsible for the breakdown. A well disciplined team will lose collapse to a less talented team like we did.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Yujam, they didnt collapse against Brazil or Argentina. They collapsed against Sierra Leone. It was way badder than bad❗️

Cheers.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

His crossing has been poor in all the games I have seen him play.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The irresponsibility from Rohr is simply because he has been the flavor of the NFF for far too long, he gets away with pretty much what no other manager or coach will get as a saving grace for crap management. The message is clear now and I'm glad Pinnick smart enough to know Nigerian fans are tired of nonsense... if Rohr fails to redeem himself by beating S-Leone in the return leg, then right there and then he should be relieved of his job and paid whatever contract benefits he's been owed. It's been 4 years and counting yet no encouraging football, that's borderline intolerable.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I have watched the match thrice now and I am inclined to agree with you, Yujam.

The fact is, for the 1st 72 mins of the match, Nigeria was in total control, almost to the point of dominance. That was the best 1st half display of ANY Nigeria game I can remember of, in recent history. Very scintillating, sweet football, for the most part. Used the full length and breadth of the pitch. Nice ball movement - I mean, everything you want from the SE.
So, what the heck happened in the final 18 mins? Rohr's explanation is on point: COMPLACENCY and FATIGUE

The one thing I also observed was the Sierra Leone team pretty much played with the same intensity from start to finish. It wasn't as if they upped their game or did anything different. So, the fact that they were able to score 3 goals in 18 mins means Nigeria took their foot off the gas and let them into the game.

Also, the fact that the temp in Benin City was in the 90s and very humid was a challenge, especially for those players coming in from Europe (where it is nice, fall weather) and considering the very limited training and adaptation time they had.

In a sense, I am glad this happened the way it did. It would drive home what international football (especially, African football) is all about to the newbies (Aribo, Akpoguma, Zanusi, Okoye, etc.) and the Nigerian squad as a whole. If and when you have a chance to kill off an opponent, do NOT show any mercy whatsoever! Nigeria had a chance to completely bury this SL team and failed to do so.

I really think we all should treat this as a lesson learnt and move on. The first half of the game showed we have a very good core team that can become great. No need to throw away the baby with the bath water. I wish them well in Freetown.

Last edited by Otitokoro on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Otitokoro wrote:I have watched the match thrice now and I am inclined to agree with you, Yujam.

The fact is, for the 1st 72 mins of the match, Nigeria was in total control, almost to the point of dominance. That was the best 1st half display of ANY Nigeria game I can remember of, in recent history. Very scintillating, sweet football, for the most part. Used the full length and breadth of the pitch. Nice ball movement - I mean, everything you want from the SE.
So, what the heck happened in the final 18 mins? Rohr's explanation is on point: COMPLACENCY and FATIGUE

The one thing I also observed was the Sierra Leone team pretty much played with the same intensity from start to finish. It wasn't as if they upped their game or did anything different. So, the fact that they were able to score 3 goals in 18 mins means Nigeria took their foot off the gas and let them into the game.

Also, the fact that the temp in Benin City was in the 90s and very humid was a challenge, especially for those players coming in from Europe (where it is nice, fall weather) and considering the very limited training and adaptation time they had.

In a sense, I am glad this happened the way it did. It would drive home what international football (especially, African football) is all about to the newbies (Aribo, Akpoguma, Zanusi, Okoye, etc.) and the Nigerian squad as a whole. If and when you have a chance to kill off an opponent, do NOT show any mercy whatsoever! Nigeria had a chance to completely bury this SL team and failed to do so.

I really think we all should treat this as a lesson learnt and move on. The first half of the game showed we have a very good core team that can become great. No need to throw away the baby with the bath water. I wish them well in Freetown.

Otitokoro has lived up to his name. Truth is bitter! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your analysis is exactly what happened in that game, no need for further comment. The result was an outlier, some of the best teams we've played can barely get 1 goal against us let alone SL scoring 4. I'm also happy with the result in that it comes with a timely lesson. The battle continues.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:I have watched the match thrice now and I am inclined to agree with you, Yujam.

Your analysis is exactly what happened in that game, no need for further comment. The result was an outlier, some of the best teams we've played can barely get 1 goal against us let alone SL scoring 4. I'm also happy with the result in that it comes with a timely lesson. The battle continues.

so long as we win in Freetown convincingly and Rohr stops making the same personnel and tactical mistakes, we can chalk this up as a very good lesson learned.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:

so long as we win in Freetown convincingly and Rohr stops making the same personnel and tactical mistakes, we can chalk this up as a very good lesson learned.

I'm not too sure we'll beat them by 4 goals but we'll get the 3 points. Building a strong team is not easy at all, losing, underperforming and team collapse are always a threat. I remember WC 06 qualification when allmwe had to do was beat Angola in Nigeria and we couldn't. Even the 2 Afcons we missed in a row under Keshi. Playing in Africa is tough tough tough! Literally every team has a weapon that can hurt you big time.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

We'll beat them in Freetown, but definitely not emphatically cause they will surely score against us.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote:It was bad. Enyimba can beat Sierra Leone. That was a loss, a disgrace.
To me, the 4-4 draw in our home with Sierra Leone, was a loss, especially if one consider we gave-up a 4-0 lead.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Look on the bright side, we scored 4 goals

Wha choo looking at?!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Maybe we should make matches to last for 70 mins. That way the match will end before Rohr's team will collapse.

Complacency? Fatigue? Colour of Jersey? We are never short of excuses. Next one will be that the 'computer' stopped working.

Under Rohr, we are always learning.

Anyway, he should just win the ANC! We should not go there to start 'learning' again!

If this was Amodu or Keshi I can imagine what some people will say or do!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

wanaj0 wrote:

Keshi did worse. He lost to fake Congo at home.

There were also home draws against Kenya, and losses to Sudan.

Oh and he failed to qualify for AFCON.

What would you say if that was Rohr ?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

wanaj0 wrote:Maybe we should make matches to last for 70 mins. That way the match will end before Rohr's team will collapse.

Complacency? Fatigue? Colour of Jersey? We are never short of excuses. Next one will be that the 'computer' stopped working.

Anyway, he should just win the ANC! We should not go there to start 'learning' again!

The best think we can do to help our players is to start games at night when it's cooler. The players are leaving countries where they're used to playing in much cooler and less humid temperatures they'll struggle for in the heat and humid temperatures in Benin. Better yet move all games to Jos and play at night.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

wanaj0 wrote:Maybe we should make matches to last for 70 mins. That way the match will end before Rohr's team will collapse.

The best think we can do to help our players is to start games at night when it's cooler. The players are leaving countries where they're used to playing in much cooler and less humid temperatures they'll struggle for in the heat and humid temperatures in Benin. Better yet move all games to Jos and play at night.
Most of the Sierra leone players also play in Europe... that excuse is dead on arrival already.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Play at night with no NEPA or working flood lights? Na only Uyo fit provide such, but Amaju just dey pimp SE to the highest bidder...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote:

Most of the Sierra leone players also play in Europe... that excuse is dead on arrival already.

not true.

half their squad is home based.

There is no excuse for the NFF to scheduele the match at that time, in fact this is the first time we have done this in quite a while.

NFF messed up with that one.