Match Report: Gernot Rohr on the Ropes........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Match Report: Gernot Rohr on the Ropes........

Post by Enugu II »

Freetown ... In spite of the vaunted Kelechi Iheanacho video "We dey vex come" claim of Nigeria's preparedness to vanquish Sierra Leone in Freetown today, it ended in a dud and thud. A 0-0 draw was far underneath what Nigerian fans and football administrators hoped for in an African Cup of Nations qualifier but it kept Nigeria well on its way to reaching another AFCON finals with two games left on the slate. But it is yet unknown whether the Manager Gernot Rohr will be at the helm for those remaining two qualifying games.
What was quite surprising in this second game between both teams, in a week, was the fact that Sierra Leone gave just as much as it received for long stretches of the game. Nigeria, for all its vaunted European-bred players, never took complete control of the game for any considerable stretch. Instead, the ball was fought by the host Leone Stars. A magnificent header by Kei Kamara had to be saved by Nigeria's Okoye to keep Eagles from conceding after half an hour. It was not the only chance that fell to the hosts but it underlined the fact that they seemed ready to pluck the wings of the media celebrated Eagles.
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Match Report: Gernot Rohr on the Ropes........

Post by deanotito »

As much as I believe Rohr's performance over both legs has been sub-par, I am not in favor of firing a coach when he has not technically failed. Qualification is more of a certainty than not...and so he's on track to meeting his goals. What basis would firing him be based on?

Given the coin-toss nature of coaching success, firing a coach that is still on track throws the team into a lottery-like situation where we are neither assured that the new coach would succeed or would elevate the play. And make no mistake, if Pinnick fires Rohr now, he will put Yobo in charge. Are you confident in Coach Yobo?

And all this talk about calling a coach to read him the "riot act" or whatever....I really don't see the point. The coach needs to have goals, and be on track to achieve them. That's all that needs to be reiterated. There are many things that Rohr has done that I don't like...but the fact remains, the man has met/is meeting his goals. If he fails, there is more than enough time to find a replacement
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

deanotito wrote:As much as I believe Rohr's performance over both legs has been sub-par, I am not in favor of firing a coach when he has not technically failed. Qualification is more of a certainty than not...and so he's on track to meeting his goals. What basis would firing him be based on?

Given the coin-toss nature of coaching success, firing a coach that is still on track throws the team into a lottery-like situation where we are neither assured that the new coach would succeed or would elevate the play. And make no mistake, if Pinnick fires Rohr now, he will put Yobo in charge. Are you confident in Coach Yobo?

And all this talk about calling a coach to read him the "riot act" or whatever....I really don't see the point. The coach needs to have goals, and be on track to achieve them. That's all that needs to be reiterated. There are many things that Rohr has done that I don't like...but the fact remains, the man has met/is meeting his goals. If he fails, there is more than enough time to find a replacement
He failed to qualify for the 2nd round of the WC. That was a target not met.

If target is to qualify for the ANC, we dont need a coach to do that. All we need to qualify is a functional NFF.

Rohr should not be sacked now.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:As much as I believe Rohr's performance over both legs has been sub-par, I am not in favor of firing a coach when he has not technically failed. Qualification is more of a certainty than not...and so he's on track to meeting his goals. What basis would firing him be based on?

If target is to qualify for the ANC, we dont need a coach to do that. All we need to qualify is a functional NFF.

His goal is to continue to learn. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

danfo driver wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

His goal is to continue to learn. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yes oo. We are a training school.

Hope we will be in the same group with Madagascar so that they can teach us something
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

deanotito wrote: And make no mistake, if Pinnick fires Rohr now, he will put Yobo in charge. Are you confident in Coach Yobo?
kpom kwem with extra jara! :biggrin: We have been through this enough times for me to know for sure that "fire him" is where 10% of everyone's energy should be going right now. His replacement deserves a hell of a lot more attention & passion. It's like fighting to remove a road block from the highway so that you can drive towards a cliff. Those wey no dey learn from history will repeat it.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

greg wrote:
deanotito wrote: And make no mistake, if Pinnick fires Rohr now, he will put Yobo in charge. Are you confident in Coach Yobo?
kpom kwem with extra jara! :biggrin: We have been through this enough times for me to know for sure that "fire him" is where 10% of everyone's energy should be going right now. His replacement deserves a hell of a lot more attention & passion. It's like fighting to remove a road block from the highway so that you can drive towards a cliff. Those wey no dey learn from history will repeat it.

we've seen this story before.

Rohr has really pissed me off, but firing him will be a disaster. People are thinking emotionally. Be careful what you wish for.

Things can definately get worse.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:
greg wrote:

Rohr has really pissed me off, but firing him will be a disaster. People are thinking emotionally. Be careful what you wish for.

While I do not truly believe Rohr will be fired but it really is fear mongering to claim that Yobo will be the next in line to handle the SE if Rohr is fired.

If somehow, Rohr is fired..... I have news for you...... it will not be Yobo taking over. The next guy up is actually Augustine Eguavoen who will be in acting capacity and he has an even higher winning percentage with the SE than Rohr has. Not that such a percentage means much, if you ask me. However, it will be Auugustine Eguavoen, the current Technical Director of the NFF, that will take over the team and not Yobo. Take that to the bank.

Rohr's status will be determined in the coming weeks as the NFF, Sports Ministry, and other power brokers intensify struggle to influence matters.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
greg wrote:

While I do not truly believe Rohr will be fired but it really is fear mongering to claim that Yobo will be the next in line to handle the SE if Rohr is fired.

If somehow, Rohr is fired..... I have news for you...... it will not be Yobo taking over. The next guy up is actually Augustine Eguavoen who will be in acting capacity and he has an even higher winning percentage with the SE than Rohr has. Not that such a percentage means much, if you ask me. However, it will be Auugustine Eguavoen, the current Technical Director of the NFF, that will take over the team and not Yobo. Take that to the bank.

Rohr's status will be determined in the coming weeks as the NFF, Sports Ministry, and other power brokers intensify struggle to influence matters.

Ok, even if I buy that, I see nothing in Egu’s history that tells me he will deliver better results than Rohr. Egu was a decent SE coach. In fact, I’ll go as far as saying he was underrated. But firing Rohr has to be for someone decisively better...and I don’t see any indication that Egu is that.

Rohr does not deserve to be fired.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Funny how most of the people that are clamouring for a local coach to manage the team suddenly dont want Yobo. Is he not Nigerian? See una life?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:Funny how most of the people that are clamouring for a local coach to manage the team suddenly dont want Yobo. Is he not Nigerian? See una life?
He's been a coach for what all of 6 weeks and you want him to take over a national team ranked top 30 in the world? He was hired to learn from Rohr and eventually take over, I'm sure even you would admit its way too soon...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
greg wrote:

Ok, even if I buy that, I see nothing in Egu’s history that tells me he will deliver better results than Rohr. Egu was a decent SE coach. In fact, I’ll go as far as saying he was underrated. But firing Rohr has to be for someone decisively better...and I don’t see any indication that Egu is that.

Prof said he has a better win percentage, why are you using 'feelings' to 'see nothing'? :biggrin: Lets not be so scared of change that we just accept what Rohr is serving us...if we did want to make a change this is probably as good a time as any, we don't want to wait till we miss out on a tournament or right before the tournament starts to be making a change.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
greg wrote:

Prof said he has a better win percentage, why are you using 'feelings' to 'see nothing'? :biggrin: Lets not be so scared of change that we just accept what Rohr is serving us...if we did want to make a change this is probably as good a time as any, we don't want to wait till we miss out on a tournament or right before the tournament starts to be making a change.
When Rohr was hired, I disagreed with it based on the same logic you’re ridiculing. I didn’t see anything in record that said he would be a success with the SE. So to me, he has overperformed and succeeded. But that does not translate into me changing my framework. Rohr has been a coach for longer and has achieved (and surpassed) same level of accolades as Egu achieved at his peak. “Winning record” no be accolade
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
greg wrote:

When Rohr was hired, I disagreed with it based on the same logic you’re ridiculing. I didn’t see anything in record that said he would be a success with the SE. So to me, he has overperformed and succeeded. But that does not translate into me changing my framework. Rohr has been a coach for longer and has achieved (and surpassed) same level of accolades as Egu achieved at his peak. “Winning record” no be accolade
Dean,

While I agree that at the time of Rohr's hiring there had been concerns. I did raise some pointing out that this guy was a defensive-minded fella going by his antecedents with several other African countries. That take has been borne out. In my view, he has not overachieved. He is what he is -- a middling manager. What he has done in Nigeria is simply because he had better talent at his disposal. If you look at it, several Nigerian managers (BTW, Rohr has one of the longest tenure as Nigeria's Manager) have achieved more!

As for Ego? I would not say that he achieved any less than Rohr given same period and time. In fact., one can argue that Ego did more. Egu had an opportunity to lead the team to AFCON. He did and earned a bronze. Rohr did not do better in an AFCON. As for a WC run, Rohr had an opportunity and Egu did not. Then in terms of winning percentage, Egu has a better winning percentage.

Now, this not to state that I want Egu taking over. Not at all. In my view, I would demur because of personality. I think that you really need a strong personality to be a Nigerian and fight off the sharks and lead Eagles to great heights. It is a characteristic that Keshi and Amodu had.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:Funny how most of the people that are clamouring for a local coach to manage the team suddenly dont want Yobo. Is he not Nigerian? See una life?
He's been a coach for what all of 6 weeks and you want him to take over a national team ranked top 30 in the world? He was hired to learn from Rohr and eventually take over, I'm sure even you would admit its way too soon...
Read my post again.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If plan A doesn't work, should have tried more route 1 football. Play the ball over the top to the wingers.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote: we've seen this story before.

Dean,

While I agree that at the time of Rohr's hiring there had been concerns. I did raise some pointing out that this guy was a defensive-minded fella going by his antecedents with several other African countries. That take has been borne out. In my view, he has not overachieved. He is what he is -- a middling manager. What he has done in Nigeria is simply because he had better talent at his disposal. If you look at it, several Nigerian managers (BTW, Rohr has one of the longest tenure as Nigeria's Manager) have achieved more!

As for Ego? I would not say that he achieved any less than Rohr given same period and time. In fact., one can argue that Ego did more. Egu had an opportunity to lead the team to AFCON. He did and earned a bronze. Rohr did not do better in an AFCON. As for a WC run, Rohr had an opportunity and Egu did not. Then in terms of winning percentage, Egu has a better winning percentage.

Now, this not to state that I want Egu taking over. Not at all. In my view, I would demur because of personality. I think that you really need a strong personality to be a Nigerian and fight off the sharks and lead Eagles to great heights. It is a characteristic that Keshi and Amodu had.
For how many games was Egu in charge of the SE?
That puts the "win ratio" in full context.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Appoint Amuneke and the coach that was coaching in Albania as his assistant on a short term basis to see how it goes. We can scout for a long term coach if it doesn't work out.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:Appoint Amuneke and the coach that was coaching in Albania as his assistant on a short term basis to see how it goes. We can scout for a long term coach if it doesn't work out.

What would be the reason for firing Rohr now? Because we are winning our group?

Rohr's record with a senior national team is better than that of Amunike, so there is no justification to fire him when we are at the top of the group table. I do think Rohr cannot coach us past Algeria or Senegal, but neither can Anunike or Finidi. I think Rohr will leave after the Nations cup, at which point someone else can be appointed.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

1naija wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Appoint Amuneke and the coach that was coaching in Albania as his assistant on a short term basis to see how it goes. We can scout for a long term coach if it doesn't work out.

Rohr's record with a senior national team is better than that of Amunike, so there is no justification to fire him when we are at the top of the group table. I do think Rohr cannot coach us past Algeria or Senegal, but neither can Anunike or Finidi. I think Rohr will leave after the Nations cup, at which point someone else can be appointed.

we should fire him and install the Fantastic Yobo
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote: we've seen this story before.

Dean,

For how many games was Egu in charge of the SE?
That puts the "win ratio" in full context.
Damunk,

Enough games when you compare him to a lot of SE coaches. He coached 17 games which is exactly the number of games managed by Johaness Bonfrereand more than the number managed by the likes of Daniel Anyiam, Beth-Helavi, Udemezue, Berti Vogts, Les Courtier, first stint of Paul Hamilton, Manfred Hoener, Lars Lagerbeck, Thijs Lobregts, Oliseh, Samson Siasia, etc.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

1naija wrote:

Exactly. There is no basis to fire Rohr now. Firing him would be a step short of insane if you really think about it.

There’s more than enough time to fire him after a major milestone like the Nations Cup.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote:
1naija wrote:

Exactly. There is no basis to fire Rohr now. Firing him would be a step short of insane if you really think about it.

There’s more than enough time to fire him after a major milestone like the Nations Cup.

actually firing after the nations cup would be even much worse.

You would have no competitive games until the World Cup, (if we qualify)

thats why I say, unless the ANC is a disaster we should stick with Rohr to the WC.

No coach will come in and magically change the team without any competitive matches, and only a few friendlies. We've been down that road before.

IF, and I am not saying he should be, but IF he were to be fired, this would be the opportune time to do it.

You would basically have an easy path to qualification for ANC, and have 2 ANCQ matches to prosecute without much pressure, and then begin WCQ in June, hopefully with a friendly in that period as well. You now have a 4 month layoff until the next FIFA window.

If it doesn't happen now, it should not happen until after Qatar 2022, or if we fail to qualify.

Again I dont advocate it, but Now would be better than after the 2022 aFCON.