Kanu: Super Eagles showed signs of improvement

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Kanu: Super Eagles showed signs of improvement

Post by iworo »

Super Eagles showed signs of improvement – Nigeria legend Kanu

The African football great insists the three-time African champions’ inability to defeat John Keister’s men is not a sign of decline

In the wake of their draw against Sierra Leone, African football legend Nwankwo Kanu has jumped in defence of the Nigeria senior national team, claiming there are no longer minnows in African football.

Gernot Rohr’s men kept their qualification for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations on ice after failing to defeat John Keister’s Leone Stars in both games.

The three-time African champions surrendered a four-goal lead to settle for a 4-4 draw in the first game at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, while the reverse fixture in Freetown ended 0-0 after 90 minutes.

To the former national team captain, Rohr’s team stepped up their game in the return leg but could not secure victory owing to the poor playing surface plus their mental state - a consequence of their performance in Benin City.

Going by the game [on Tuesday], the Super Eagles did not concede any goal and to me, that is a sign of improvement,” Kanu told Goal.

To me, that is not a bad result when compared with what happened in Nigeria. They should have won in Freetown but as we all saw, their pitch was bad and I’m sure our players were playing with caution to avoid a repeat of what happened in Benin City.

The fact remains that we have to qualify for the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon, and I believe that the boys will get the job done.”
Like many football fans, the Super Eagles were expected to stroll past the Sierra Leoneans who are ranked 120th in the world, but the former Arsenal and Portsmouth forward says there are no longer minnows in the beautiful game.

He went further counselling Rohr’s side to learn from the mistakes noticed in the just concluded games with the aim to bounce back stronger.

In the first leg, we scored four goals in the first 30 minutes, that is Nigeria playing but the scoreline changed in the second half,” he continued.

We must realise that football is a sport where one plus one will never give you two. The game against Sierra Leone is a wakeup call or maybe it is trying to point our attention to something we are not doing right.

But honestly speaking, football has really changed and those countries we call whipping teams have grown and are not where they used to be.

Not being able to beat Sierra Leone is not a sign of decline, we still have the quality players who can score five goals against any team in the world. All we just need to do is learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating them again.”

Nigeria still lead Group L with eight points from four matches. They travel to Porto-Novo’s Stade Charles de Gaulle for their next fixture against Benin Republic in March 2021.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/super-eagl ... vscvvsijo9
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Kanu: Super Eagles showed signs of improvement

Post by 1naija »

Kanu's hairstyle at his age makes it very difficult to take him seriously.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

1naija wrote:Kanu's hairstyle at his age makes it very difficult to take him seriously.
You're not serious :D :lol:. You're making fun of a true legend, not that your fake legend called Yobo.
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

1Naija na true you talk o!! :)
Everyone is trying to be politically correct.
That team that played SL did not show any sign of improvement.
They are very average at best
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Spoken like a true leader. Papillo always speaks the truth. :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

1naija wrote:Kanu's hairstyle at his age makes it very difficult to take him seriously.
He has hair and that is why he can have that style,judging people by their hairstyle shows immaturity.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

He is talking pure rubbish! Kanu should please STFU! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Undertaker wrote:He is talking pure rubbish! Kanu should please STFU! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Are we supposed to believe you over Kansas? Ordinary you? Consider bruh, get real. I know you watch a lot of championship football but trying to discredit Kanu is above your pay grade.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Spoken like a true leader. Papillo always speaks the truth. :clap: :clap:
Always.
It is how he stood by Amodu back in the day when Nigerians were generally losing their minds - as usual.

Stumbled across this from back in 2009:
Meanwhile, Super Eagles skipper, Kanu, has revealed his support for coach Amodu to lead the team to next year's World Cup. Kanu sees in Amodu, who the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) gave a vote of confidence on Wednesday, as the right man to guide Nigeria at the mundial, saying that agitation for his sack was unnecessary.

The Portsmouth of England star said the agitation for Amodu's removal was not unusual, but believes that the coach is competent to take Nigeria to the World Cup. Kanu said: "If you ask me, I don't give up on people. The country we are in is a country where people tend to forget things. The only thing we know is that it must go our own way.

"We only know one way. I'll give you an example: The coach of the U-17, everyone is praising him. Tomorrow he goes to U-20, he plays three games and loses, everyone will be shouting.

"We have gone through a lot of things. The ticket is here, the coach has delivered the ticket. So, let's just support him."
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "