Fire Rohr Now ! - Ex-Eagles Stars (Amokachi and Odegbami)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Fire Rohr Now ! - Ex-Eagles Stars (Amokachi and Odegbami)

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ex-Eagles stars want Rohr sacked
Published November 20, 2020
Kindly Share This Story
Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr

Johnny Edward

An increasing number of ex-Super Eagles players have turned against struggling coach, Gernot Rohr, urging the Nigerian Football Federation to sack the Franco-German.

The Eagles endured a nightmare finish to 2020, failing to win a game during the year with the team looking a shadow of the decent side that finished third at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nation in Egypt.

According to several sources , Rohr is fast losing the confidence of many of his players, with Ola Aina expressing his frustration at been left out of the team’s starting line-up in their 4-4 draw against Sierria Leone last Friday.

Segun Odegbami, a member of the 1980 AFCON-winning squad said Rohr has reached his eldorado with the team and cannot go any further hence should be allowed to go.

“I have expressed my opinion about Rohr severally,” Odegbami said.

“He may be a good coach but what are his credentials. My believe is that anyone who will coach the Eagles must make the team a World class team capable of winning the World Cup.

“Rohr cannot deliver that. He is not the world class coach we are loking for. We have seen him work for four years and what we saw in two critical moments in Russia and Egypt, he convinced me that he is not the one to lead Nigeria to Eldorado.”

Daniel Amokachi who also won the AFCON in 1994 and featured at two World Cups also also questioned the competency of Rohr in the wake of the Eagles draws against Sierria Leone over two legs.

“Football these days, there is no patience. It’s the result that matters.

“The person (Rohr) has been in charge of the team for five years but you cannot write anything about those years he has been in charge.

“Is he the right person to take Nigeria in the right direction? I don’t think so.

“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”

Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

https://punchng.com/ex-eagles-stars-want-rohr-sacked/

Last edited by Toxicarrow on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Re: Fire Rohr Now ! - Ex-Eagles Stars (Amokachi and Odegbam

Post by Toxicarrow »

Note that Amokachi is President Buhari's special assistant on sports: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/n ... ports.html
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Toxic,

I do not believe Rohr will be dismissed now despite the fact that he has done nothing to demonstrate that he is great for Nigeria. He is middling at best. Nevertheless, there are two factors that stand in the way of such possibility.

1. The financial cost of doing so. This is the most important factor. Who pays that money? Note that Rohr is currently paid by a private company. That company will balk, for good reasons, in continuing to pay if Rohr is disengaged. NFF has no extra funds to pay the disengagement fee and then set up to hire another Manager.

2. If the Minister forces NFF in firing Rohr, will the Minister come up to pay that compensation and come up with funds to hire another Manager? I doubt it. The Ministry is not now paying the Manager. What argument will Minister Dare present to Buhari in order to get the funds to pay a coach?

In my view, the pressure generated by the Ministry will not lead to the firing of Rohr. Importantly, this pressure by the Ministry has to be a major concern for all who hope to have an NFF independent of the Ministry.

What is more likely at this point is a move that puts intense heat on Rohr in a strategy to force him to reconsider his tenure in Nigeria. That may lead to him bolting as soon as he gets an offer elsewhere. This will be the best scenario for both the NFF and the Sports Ministry. However, this type of pressure is not the best for Nigeria. We saw it before and it ended up hurting the country's football. What really is the best is to allow the guy to finish his tenure and simply not renew his contract except in a situation where he goes on to win the upcoming AFCON.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I’ve never liked any eagle like I’ve liked Amokachi. He is my guy. BUT he is talking nonsense about the agent stuff and nonsense about the man’s record.

What top Nigerian player hasn’t been given a shot by Rohr or isn’t a consistent part of his teams? All these new children of the diaspora that Rohr has blooded, are they all with the same agents??? This is just bad bele speaking
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote:I’ve never liked any eagle like I’ve liked Amokachi. He is my guy. BUT he is talking nonsense about the agent stuff and nonsense about the man’s record.

What top Nigerian player hasn’t been given a shot by Rohr or isn’t a consistent part of his teams? All these new children of the diaspora that Rohr has blooded, are they all with the same agents??? This is just bad bele speaking
Dean,

Basically the reference is to Tunde Adelakun. I do not believe Adelakun is a player agent. However, remember that Adelakun rose as a sort of "free agent/scout" to an official scout for the team (note that in the past this job was done strictly by the appointed coaching crew) and quite surprisingly Rohr elevated him to a key assistant on the coaching bench at games. This issue became major in the media when it occurred. That is what that reference is about. Many of these players have come directly from Adelakun. Make no mistake about that. This really should be common knowledge if you have followed these things closely.

In my view, Adelakun is fully supported by Pinnick. After all, it is through Adelakun's work that Pinnick's vision of Super Eagles is being steadfastly implemented. Pinnick has not hidden the fact that his goal is to build a winning SE team made up of players bred in Europe with the dream that such a team with the requisite football education will deliver great results for Nigeria. Early in his tenure he had a training of these boys in London and had sought to have one in the USA as well. Make no mistake about it, he truly believes that his dream will come through via this strategy. Importantly, he had employed similar strategy to great success with Delta athletes in the Nigeria national sports festival. In that case, he stringently recruited overseas based track stars, some were speculated to be Americans, and they dominated the National Sports Festival. This is the basis of his current method and dream of the Super Eagles.

The battle you are seeing now may appear to be about the current Super Eagles. However, it is deeper than that. It is about the future of the Super Eagles beyond now.

This reminds me about what happened when Amodu was thrown out off the SE after finishing third at the AFCON. Onigbinde was appointed and he exorcised five players. Many people did not know it then. I clearly identified the five at the time and history proved my claims correct much later. At this moment, fans may think this is about Rohr's performance, it is only in the sense that the performance provides a window of an opportunity to win a much larger war in terms of the direction of the composition of the SE going forward. This battle will intensify as time goes on. That much is a certainty.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote:I’ve never liked any eagle like I’ve liked Amokachi. He is my guy. BUT he is talking nonsense about the agent stuff and nonsense about the man’s record.

The guy wants to talk of agents when he was part of Keshis corrupt tenure. LOL.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:

Dean,

Basically the reference is to Tunde Adelakun. I do not believe Adelakun is a player agent. However, remember that Adelakun rose as a sort of "free agent/scout" to an official scout for the team (note that in the past this job was done strictly by the appointed coaching crew) and quite surprisingly Rohr elevated him to a key assistant on the coaching bench at games. This issue became major in the media when it occurred. That is what that reference is about. Many of these players have come directly from Adelakun. Make no mistake about that. This really should be common knowledge if you have followed these things closely.

In my view, Adelakun is fully supported by Pinnick. After all, it is through Adelakun's work that Pinnick's vision of Super Eagles is being steadfastly implemented. Pinnick has not hidden the fact that his goal is to build a winning SE team made up of players bred in Europe with the dream that such a team with the requisite football education will deliver great results for Nigeria. Early in his tenure he had a training of these boys in London and had sought to have one in the USA as well. Make no mistake about it, he truly believes that his dream will come through via this strategy. Importantly, he had employed similar strategy to great success with Delta athletes in the Nigeria national sports festival. In that case, he stringently recruited overseas based track stars, some were speculated to be Americans, and they dominated the National Sports Festival. This is the basis of his current method and dream of the Super Eagles.

The battle you are seeing now may appear to be about the current Super Eagles. However, it is deeper than that. It is about the future of the Super Eagles beyond now.

This reminds me about what happened when Amodu was thrown out off the SE after finishing third at the AFCON. Onigbinde was appointed and he exorcised five players. Many people did not know it then. I clearly identified the five at the time and history proved my claims correct much later. At this moment, fans may think this is about Rohr's performance, it is only in the sense that the performance provides a window of an opportunity to win a much larger war in terms of the direction of the composition of the SE going forward. This battle will intensify as time goes on. That much is a certainty.
So you are saying it's a war between

SE consisting of foreign born vs SE made up of more home-based players ?

I knew this type of conflict will be inevitable with all these euro born Nigerians brought into the team, especially the Oyibos.

That's why I tell people to be careful what they wish for. If the other party you allude to wins out , I believe there will be a backlash, and many of these new recruits will no longer be called, and you will see quotas of home-based players called up, similar to when Keshi first took over. The pride and arrogance.

Nigeria likes to do things like they are living in the stone age.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:Toxic,

I do not believe Rohr will be dismissed now despite the fact that he has done nothing to demonstrate that he is great for Nigeria. He is middling at best. Nevertheless, there are two factors that stand in the way of such possibility.

1. The financial cost of doing so. This is the most important factor. Who pays that money? Note that Rohr is currently paid by a private company. That company will balk, for good reasons, in continuing to pay if Rohr is disengaged. NFF has no extra funds to pay the disengagement fee and then set up to hire another Manager.

2. If the Minister forces NFF in firing Rohr, will the Minister come up to pay that compensation and come up with funds to hire another Manager? I doubt it. The Ministry is not now paying the Manager. What argument will Minister Dare present to Buhari in order to get the funds to pay a coach?

In my view, the pressure generated by the Ministry will not lead to the firing of Rohr. Importantly, this pressure by the Ministry has to be a major concern for all who hope to have an NFF independent of the Ministry.

What is more likely at this point is a move that puts intense heat on Rohr in a strategy to force him to reconsider his tenure in Nigeria. That may lead to him bolting as soon as he gets an offer elsewhere. This will be the best scenario for both the NFF and the Sports Ministry. However, this type of pressure is not the best for Nigeria. We saw it before and it ended up hurting the country's football. What really is the best is to allow the guy to finish his tenure and simply not renew his contract except in a situation where he goes on to win the upcoming AFCON.
Rohr will not be fired and Pinnick will defy the Sports Minister if he has to. However I do not like the wording of the tweet as it makes it seem we are stuck with Rohr and that hands over power to the German. The NFF needs to sit down with Rohr and get a proper qualified assistant for him, not an Adelakun or Yobo but someone who understands game management.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Rohr will not be fired and Pinnick will defy the Sports Minister if he has to. However I do not like the wording of the tweet as it makes it seem we are stuck with Rohr and that hands over power to the German. The NFF needs to sit down with Rohr and get a proper qualified assistant for him, not an Adelakun or Yobo but someone who understands game management.
Rohr should get his own assistant to cover his limitations. You can´t employ an expatriate (rohr) and then employ another expatriate to help Rohr.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote: Rohr will not be fired and Pinnick will defy the Sports Minister if he has to. However I do not like the wording of the tweet as it makes it seem we are stuck with Rohr and that hands over power to the German. The NFF needs to sit down with Rohr and get a proper qualified assistant for him, not an Adelakun or Yobo but someone who understands game management.
Rohr should get his own assistant to cover his limitations. You can´t employ an expatriate (rohr) and then employ another expatriate to help Rohr.
I agree with you, Westerhoff sourced for Bonfrere himself, so Rohr should seek assistance himself.
I am happy
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Why is it nonsense? If he has said it of a local coach will you say it is nonsense?

Don't you think the claim should be investigated? Is it true that only 3 agents supply the players to the SE?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu, Vancity,

There is a big difference between implying corrupt activity - as Amokachi has done - and filling the team with foreign-bred Nigerians. I also think Rohr has got the balance wrong between home bred and foreign bred but not egregiously so. But Amokachi is over there openly accusing the coach of being in the agency business...with no evidence - circumstantial or otherwise.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

wanaj0 wrote:

Why is it nonsense? If he has said it of a local coach will you say it is nonsense?

Don't you think the claim should be investigated? Is it true that only 3 agents supply the players to the SE?
Yeah, you sound like a Trump supporter. Investigating baseless claims for self-seeking reasons alone. I know a website where one can check player agents, but I won’t waste my time. On its face, it is nonsense. Digging deeper, it is nonsense. I disagree with some of Rohr’s choices but I have never even smelled a hint of corrupt motive. With Keshi, Amodu and Westerhof, there were hints. Inexplicable decisions all over the place. And Amokachi, Keshi’s assistant, came out and confirmed it.

With Rohr, please tell me where the hint is. Who sabi play wey no dey play???? There is a difference between disagreeing with a coach’s choices and then making a leap to say he was bribed.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

deanotito wrote:Enugu, Vancity,

There is a big difference between implying corrupt activity - as Amokachi has done - and filling the team with foreign-bred Nigerians. I also think Rohr has got the balance wrong between home bred and foreign bred but not egregiously so. But Amokachi is over there openly accusing the coach of being in the agency business...with no evidence - circumstantial or otherwise.
Don't you consider this as 'circumstantial' evidence?

“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

wanaj0 wrote:

Go check. No be my time una go waste.

I actually respect Odegbami’s take. I disagree with it but it’s respectable. Like Enugu said, what Amokachi is likely really talking about is a loose use of the word “agent”. Adelakun has been the point person for the diasporean infusion into the team. Why would that on its face be corrupt??
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

wanaj0 wrote:

So then tell us all the great players Rohr has ignored.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Enugu II wrote:

Dean,

Thanks EII for your insight. I am among the folks that called for Rohr ouster after that disastrous 2nd half, but your post above clearly explains a lot of behind moves. I rescind my decision for now. This power play may destroy Naija soccer
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Toxicarrow wrote:Ex-Eagles stars want Rohr sacked
Kindly Share This Story

Johnny Edward

“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”[/b]

Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Thus, all the players came from three AGENTS, including coach Rohr himself? Ok, something dubious is definitely going on.

Elm 1Naija, what do you say? Please ansa me quik-quik
Last edited by Odas on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Odas wrote:
Kindly Share This Story

Johnny Edward

“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”[/b]

Copyright PUNCH.

Thus, all the payers came from three AGENTS, including coach Rohr himself? Ok, something dubious is definitely going on.

Again

Please tell us all the great players who don't belong to these 3 agents who are being ignored.

Anyone ?

I will be waiting. The only dubious thing going on is the crooks and vultures circling around what they perceive to be a dying animal.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote:
Odas wrote:
Kindly Share This Story

Johnny Edward

Copyright PUNCH.

Thus, all the payers came from three AGENTS, including coach Rohr himself? Ok, something dubious is definitely going on.

Again

Please tell us all the great players who don't belong to these 3 agents who are being ignored.

Anyone ?

I will be waiting. The only dubious thing going on is the crooks and vultures circling around what they perceive to be a dying animal.
VE, is your question directed to me? If yes, I have no clue. I only repeated what was said in the article, but if no, then ignore my comment, please.
Last edited by Odas on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

deanotito wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

Yeah, you sound like a Trump supporter. Investigating baseless claims for self-seeking reasons alone. I know a website where one can check player agents, but I won’t waste my time. On its face, it is nonsense. Digging deeper, it is nonsense. I disagree with some of Rohr’s choices but I have never even smelled a hint of corrupt motive. With Keshi, Amodu and Westerhof, there were hints. Inexplicable decisions all over the place. And Amokachi, Keshi’s assistant, came out and confirmed it.

With Rohr, please tell me where the hint is. Who sabi play wey no dey play???? There is a difference between disagreeing with a coach’s choices and then making a leap to say he was bribed.
But the same 'witness' who you never doubted then is here telling you again that something is wrong but you dismissed the claim without any investigation.

He never said anyone was bribed. He only gave you a 'hint'. Same hint we saw with 'Berti' stash.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

vancity eagle wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

So then tell us all the great players Rohr has ignored.
We don't have any 'great' player.

Moreover I don't have any problem with decision of a coach. He is paid to make those decisions and i respect it.

However, if all players are coming from only 3 agents of which one of them is also the 'agent' to the coach don't you think there is conflict of interest and should be investigated?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What exactly has Odegbami accomplised as a footballer apart from the Nations Cup they managed to win at home? Abeg make I hear word jor..
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.