Arrivedeci Paolo Rossi - RIP

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
akamoke
Arrivedeci Paolo Rossi - RIP

Post by akamoke »

What an incredible year- Rest in Peace great Champion

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... inner-dies

Paolo Rossi, the star of Italy’s 1982 World Cup-winning team, has died at the age of 64.

The news was announced in the early hours of Thursday morning by Italian TV channel RAI Sport, for whom Rossi had been working as a pundit.

“A very sad news: Paolo Rossi left us,” RAI Sport presenter Enrico Varriale tweeted. “Unforgettable Pablito, who made us all fall in love in that summer of ‘82 and who has been a precious and competent workmate at RAI in recent years. RIP dear Paolo.”

Shortly after the news broke, Rossi’s wife, Cappelletti Federica, posted a photo of herself and her husband to her Instagram account along with the words “per sempre” – “forever”.

She did not disclose the cause of his death.
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Re: Arrivedeci Paolo Rossi - RIP

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Rip. Top scorer and best player at that 1982 tournament.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

akamoke wrote:What an incredible year- Rest in Peace great Champion

Paolo Rossi, the star of Italy’s 1982 World Cup-winning team, has died at the age of 64.

The news was announced in the early hours of Thursday morning by Italian TV channel RAI Sport, for whom Rossi had been working as a pundit.

“A very sad news: Paolo Rossi left us,” RAI Sport presenter Enrico Varriale tweeted. “Unforgettable Pablito, who made us all fall in love in that summer of ‘82 and who has been a precious and competent workmate at RAI in recent years. RIP dear Paolo.”

Shortly after the news broke, Rossi’s wife, Cappelletti Federica, posted a photo of herself and her husband to her Instagram account along with the words “per sempre” – “forever”.

Maradona was suppose to be the star of 1982 but that title went to Paulo Rossi. The guy was just too much. He rose to the occasion when it matters.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Rip. Top scorer and best player at that 1982 tournament.

RIP. He was top scorer, but not best player.... 1982 was star studded.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I did not want to take anything away from what was meant to the be the eulogy of a man who just passed . But yes it is pushing it a bit too far calling him the best player of 82. In those days you need more than goals ó 1be reckoned with. He scored the goals but even in that Italian team, players like Tardelli, Bruno Conti had a big say. We don't even want to mention players from the best team that did not win the world Cup. Then you have France with Platini and Tigana, Germany with Rumenige, Breitner etc.

He was the star of the tournament no doubt but hardly the best player.

But a star and a legend he was, rest in peace Paulo.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I did not want to take anything away from what was meant to the be the eulogy of a man who just passed . But yes it is pushing it a bit too far calling him the best player of 82. In those days you need more than goals ó 1be reckoned with. He scored the goals but even in that Italian team, players like Tardelli, Bruno Conti had a big say. We don't even want to mention players from the best team that did not win the world Cup. Then you have France with Platini and Tigana, Germany with Rumenige, Breitner etc.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

RIP. A goal poacher's goal poacher. He played when Italian soccer was Italian soccer.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Wait o! Didn't he win the golden ball in WC 82? I think he did.

Wha choo looking at?!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

you are correct. He won both the boot and the ball. I think the ball winner had to come from the two finalists?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Yes he won the golden ball in 1982 World Cup.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Wow.
Yet another.
What a year.
May he rest in peace ...
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...he was an accidental hero at the 1982 world cup, scoring goals just like that.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

RIP,he was top scorer and player of the tournament in 1982.
I hope guys remember he was in jail and ask the Italian government to free him and he will give them world cup.
RIP LEGEND
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

you are correct. He won both the boot and the ball. I think the ball winner had to come from the two finalists?
Oga IMO anyone who could score 3 against that '82 Brazil team like he did deserved to win two Golden Balls sef.

Wha choo looking at?!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

He was the best player uncle,
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

kajifu wrote:
oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I completely agree with this statement
Rossi may not have been a flashy player but he was the BEST PLAYER in that tournament
His contribution led to them winning the cup which is the ultimate of a tournament
I was actually one of few that was happy that Italy knocked out Brazil (I love underdogs) and I was impressed that this no name guy comes out of no where to knock out a star studded Brazillian team of that period. That takes some doing
Everything else is sentiments
I know it was like world war three when Brazil was knocked out but they brought it on themselves and of course Paolo Rossi, RIP was there to do the damage
He was indeed the best player of the tournament in terms of influencing the final outcome
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

kajifu wrote:
oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

There is a reason why there is an MVP award and is different from the highest goal scorer. Think about. If you tell me he won both, I will agree.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

akamoke wrote:
kajifu wrote:
oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I completely agree with this statement
Rossi may not have been a flashy player but he was the BEST PLAYER in that tournament
His contribution led to them winning the cup which is the ultimate of a tournament
I was actually one of few that was happy that Italy knocked out Brazil (I love underdogs) and I was impressed that this no name guy comes out of no where to knock out a star studded Brazillian team of that period. That takes some doing
Everything else is sentiments
I know it was like world war three when Brazil was knocked out but they brought it on themselves and of course Paolo Rossi, RIP was there to do the damage
He was indeed the best player of the tournament in terms of influencing the final outcome
I felt the same way and completely share your 'underdog' sentiments.

As a result, I have at various points in time had a strong dislike for Brazil, Germany, Liverpool, Man Utd and Barcelona.
I hate monopoly.

Funnily, once their respective eras were over and other teams began to dominate, I found them much easier to support.

So I am very happy for Liverpool at the moment and am even beginning to feel sorry for Man U.
I can also enjoy watching Brazil again. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

May his soul RIP.

Rossi and Diego seem to have planned to come to earth put on a show, then exit in the same year.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

wanaj0 wrote:
akamoke wrote:What an incredible year- Rest in Peace great Champion

Maradona was suppose to be the star of 1982 but that title went to Paulo Rossi. The guy was just too much. He rose to the occasion when it matters.
The refs ruined that world cup for Diego. Opponents kept fouling him with no calls. When he had enough and retaliated, they gave him a red.

It all worked out OK because he came back 4 years later and the rest was history.

Pele went through the a similar cycle, too.

Rossi also had the advantage that opponents didn't really "know" (read scout) him because he had been banned from football two years before the World Cup.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

RIP Paolo.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Argentina of Maradona, Ardiles and Kempes. The Brazil of Zico, Falcao and Socrates. The Poland of Boniek, Lato and Szarmach. The Germany of Rummenigge, Littbarski and Breitner. All very, very powerful teams that could have won that WC.

All put to the sword by Rossi's goals and inspiration. He was the best player of that WC and his Golden Ball was richly deserved.

Wha choo looking at?!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

RIP Paulo Rossi.

Kai. I remember 1982 WC very well like it was yesterday. I was rooting heavily very heavily for Brazil (then later France). Brazil was loaded and on fire destroying teams left and right culminating with the 3-1 flogging of Argentina (Diego red card) in the second round. Meanwhile, Italy barely squeezed through to the second round with 3 draws. They were grouped with Brazil and Argentina. After Brazil destroyed Argentina, I expected Italy to come and collect their own.... but Dino Zoff (gk) no gree and Rossi (RIP) woke up and banged in a hattrick. Italy won 3-2 and eliminated Brazil. Rossi proceeded to score in all the subsequent games en route to lifting the world cup and golden boot. But for me, notwithstanding many top players, the MVP of the 1982 world cup was Dino Zoff. However, the 1982 will always be remembered for Paulo Rossi's goals. Those were the days sha. RIP Rossi.