FUL (Aina, Lookman, Adarabioyo, Maja) v Wolves

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FUL (Aina, Lookman, Adarabioyo) v LIV

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:Ola Aina is finally fulfilling the potentials that was first noticed in Chelsea. I am surprised by how his game has improved.
I don't want to jinx anything but I believe these guys are all on an upward trajectory, being so young.

Players like Osimhen(22), Chukwueze (21), Ejuke(23), Aina(24), Iwobi(24), Awaziem(24), Sanusi(23), 'Nacho(24), Ndidi(24), Okoye(21), Uzoho(22) and then the Adarabioyos(23), Ezes(22) and Lookmans(23) are all still in, or barely out of the age-grade (U23) ranks.
They are still 'learning' and if they learn well and continue to get even better we have real prospects of hitting the world hard in 2022 and beyond.

The wave of talent is not even showing signs of slowing down because there are many, many more where these guys have come from, both at home and abroad.
This is what long term planning is about. We don't seem to appreciate it now, but fingers crossed, we will in the near future.

There will come a time when we will have to make a choice: break the bank to get a truly world class coach, or stick within our means and optimise our management and player resources.

Its not going to be an easy choice and nothing is guaranteed.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: still learning 2 years from now. that will be 8 years in charge and they are still learning
The reason why you are such an olodo in your old age is because you refused to learn when you still had active brain cells.

You don't believe in learning so its understandable that you have a problem with knowledge in general - and it shows. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:Ola Aina is finally fulfilling the potentials that was first noticed in Chelsea. I am surprised by how his game has improved.
I don't want to jinx anything but I believe these guys are all on an upward trajectory, being so young.

Players like Osimhen(22), Chukwueze (21), Ejuke(23), Aina(24), Iwobi(24), Awaziem(24), Sanusi(23), 'Nacho(24), Ndidi(24), Okoye(21), Uzoho(22) and then the Adarabioyos(23), Ezes(22) and Lookmans(23) are all still in, or barely out of the age-grade (U23) ranks.
They are still 'learning' and if they learn well and continue to get even better we have real prospects of hitting the world hard in 2022 and beyond.

The wave of talent is not even showing signs of slowing down because there are many, many more where these guys have come from, both at home and abroad.
This is what long term planning is about. We don't seem to appreciate it now, but fingers crossed, we will in the near future.

There will come a time when we will have to make a choice: break the bank to get a truly world class coach, or stick within our means and optimise our management and player resources.

I hope we won't be approaching the next ANC as solely another learning process because we have won with players around this age range. So its definitely do able and we can't be waiting till these guys are 28+ to be expecting them to start fulfilling their potential.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: still learning 2 years from now. that will be 8 years in charge and they are still learning
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

I hope we won't be approaching the next ANC as solely another learning process because we have won with players around this age range. So its definitely do able and we can't be waiting till these guys are 28+ to be expecting them to start fulfilling their potential.
Brah, we are talking about WC 2022. They will be 24/25/26 max. A good age to be as a footballer: a good mix of experience and youth.
Strangely, it seems as if the whole concept of the 'career peak' is completely alien to some people here for some unimaginable reason. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I suspect the ignorance is feigned, and 'political'.
But in case they truly don't know, 26-29 is believed to be the period when most top players hit that zenith.
Up to that point, things should only get better.
After it, things may plateau and eventually start to decline - on average.

Everyone knows this, but this is CE, innit.
Strange things happen here. :taunt:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Brah, we are talking about WC 2022. They will be 24/25/26 max. A good age to be as a footballer: a good mix of experience and youth.
Strangely, it seems as if the whole concept of the 'career peak' is completely alien to some people here
for some unimaginable reason. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I suspect the ignorance is feigned, and 'political'.
But in case they truly don't know, 26-29 is believed to be the period when most top players hit that zenith.
Up to that point, things should only get better.
After it, things may plateau and eventually start to decline - on average.

Everyone knows this, but this is CE, innit.
Strange things happen here. :taunt:
But we shouldn't lose focus of our immediate next tournament as part of building that experience going into the WC. I'd rather have a young team that comes into the WC as champions than a bunch of 28+ losers. Experience is not just about age, these bobo's going into the WC would have had 1 to 2 ANC's under their belt, so for me its one step at a time focus on building a winning team at ANC level before we even talk about WC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:But we shouldn't lose focus of our immediate next tournament as part of building that experience going into the WC. I'd rather have a young team that comes into the WC as champions than a bunch of 28+ losers. Experience is not just about age, these bobo's going into the WC would have had 1 to 2 ANC's under their belt, so for me its one step at a time focus on building a winning team at ANC level before we even talk about WC.
I agree with you 100%
What Ive always found baffling is how we downplay the value of experience.
At the last WC, i think only about 4 players in the squad had ever played in a tournament before. (Mikel, Omeruo, Musa and maybe a couple of others). The rest were greenhorns
It was not felt to be of any significance.
Glad you recognise the importance when fine margins make the difference between success and failure.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:But we shouldn't lose focus of our immediate next tournament as part of building that experience going into the WC. I'd rather have a young team that comes into the WC as champions than a bunch of 28+ losers. Experience is not just about age, these bobo's going into the WC would have had 1 to 2 ANC's under their belt, so for me its one step at a time focus on building a winning team at ANC level before we even talk about WC.
I agree with you 100%
At the last WC, i think only about 4 players in the squad had ever played in a tournament before. (Mikel, Omeruo, Musa and maybe a couple of others). The rest were greenhorns
Glad you recognise the importance when fine margins make the difference between success and failure.
Bros, there was a lot more experience than you are letting on when we consider age and tournament experience esp. with Victor Moses, Onazi, Echiejile, Daniel Akpeyi (age + Olympics, CHANs etc), Ezenwa (age + CHANs etc), John Ogu, Joel Obi, Ighalo (age) to counter all the young players. Esp. with Mikel, Musa, Omeruo being starters and being the spine of the team. There was more than enough 'experience' both tournament and age-wise.

Mind you, I haven't even mentioned the ones that went to the 2016 Olympics (Ekong, and both Etebo, Shehu - olympics + CHAN 2014)...before you say its a youth tournament... :dream:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I agree with you 100%
Bros, there was a lot more experience than you are letting on when we consider age and tournament experience esp. with Victor Moses, Onazi, Echiejile, Daniel Akpeyi (age + Olympics, CHANs etc), Ezenwa (age + CHANs etc), John Ogu, Joel Obi, Ighalo (age) to counter all the young players. Esp. with Mikel, Musa, Omeruo being starters and being the spine of the team. There was more than enough 'experience' both tournament and age-wise.

Mind you, I haven't even mentioned the ones that went to the 2016 Olympics (Ekong, and both Etebo, Shehu - olympics + CHAN 2014)...before you say its a youth tournament... :dream:
Okay then.
Might as well count the B grade tournaments and also add Moses Simon, Nacho and Ndidi from the U20 WC.
All join. :D
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I agree with you 100%

Okay then.
Might as well count the B grade tournaments and also add Moses Simon, Nacho and Ndidi from the U20 WC.
:rotf: International na International...Truth is Rohr took a good balance of experience and youth, so that shouldn't be used as an excuse why he didn't meet his target...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I agree with you 100%

Okay then.
:rotf: International na International...Truth is Rohr took a good balance of experience and youth, so that shouldn't be used as an excuse why he didn't meet his target...
Olympics and CHAN are not the same level as international ball.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kalani JR wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I agree with you 100%

Okay then.
Olympics and CHAN are not the same level as international ball.
I somewhat agree, that’s why I didn’t include guys in my main list that just had CHAN or Olympics or even the combination of the two esp if they are also young. But there were still quite a lot of experienced/seasoned players in that team. Might have been their first World Cup but it only comes once every 4 years most players will be lucky to experience it once maybe twice in their career. So you can’t call the likes of Ighalo, Echiejile, Ogu, Joel Obi, Akpereyi, Ezenwa, even Balogun green horns simply because it was their first WC. They have lots of experience and were in no way young players. But Doc is tryin to be clever, I know what he’s trying to do :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FUL (Aina, Lookman, Adarabioyo) v Brighton

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The boys are back v Brighton. Fulham games are like a mini SE game. Good luck to the boys. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Up VAR. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I agree with you 100%

Okay then.
I can't even believe Nigerians swallowed that crap! But seriously what's wrong with us?? We had Champions league winners, Uefa cup winners, Nations cup winners , players with previous world cup experience and stars who have played for top clubs like Chelsea, Leicester city, mancity, Liverpool and inter, all in one squad! We had a player like Ndidi that had the record of the most successful tackles in the EPL, yet people will still bring down the bar for a coach that decieved us, saying he went to the biggest football fiesta to learn about football! I tire!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

This is working under the assumption that because Ndidi had an EPL record, the team should have done better?
Is Ndidi the only player on the team? If your threshold for team strength and success is Ndidi, what about other squads that have better players, not only in the EPL, but other competitive leagues? Or players on those squads in the top 5 or 10 teams in the world? How did the coach 'deceive' you? He played with what he had.

What I find frustrating is the misguided belief some Nigerians have that, because we possess one or two players doing well in the EPL, there should be no reason whatsoever for us not to win the AFCON, or make it to the semis in the WC. Building a robust team takes years. Westehoff was very fortunate that most of the other African teams were not retooling and progressing at the rate we did in the 1992 - 1994 timeframe. That is most certainly NOT the case now - every African team is retooling and talent sourcing for players to make themselves better, especially in Europe. Teams like Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Cape Verde, Morocco, Algeria, etc. EVERYONE! You think this will not improve their performance threshold and not make it difficult playing against them? Y'all need to divorce yourselves of the 'Westerhoff' and even the 'Keshi' eras, as those eras are long gone and will NEVER come back. Football dynamics have since changed, making it a whole lot more difficult to win matches than ever before, especially in Africa.

Look, I can understand the impatience of Nigerians, as one of the downsides of Nigeria's 'talent sourcing' project is that the team might seem to be in a constant state of flux, as new talent is being brought in and tried out. However, we need to be patient - it is a learning and developmental process. The upside is that once the core of the team is stabilized, this team will be very competitive and will win trophies.
gochino wrote: I can't even believe Nigerians swallowed that crap! But seriously what's wrong with us?? We had Champions league winners, Uefa cup winners, Nations cup winners , players with previous world cup experience and stars who have played for top clubs like Chelsea, Leicester city, mancity, Liverpool and inter, all in one squad! We had a player like Ndidi that had the record of the most successful tackles in the EPL, yet people will still bring down the bar for a coach that decieved us, saying he went to the biggest football fiesta to learn about football! I tire!
Last edited by Otitokoro on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Nah! My point is we had experienced players in that team... Rohr has been in charge for five years and his team still plays like they just met each other! They can't play simple possession football to save their lives, how then can they survive at the world cup? Just wondering, do you see anything encouraging in the super eagle style of play? Or do you just believe that as long as Rohr has a long term plan things will automatically change?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Otitokoro wrote:This is working under the assumption that because Ndidi had an EPL record, the team should have done better?
Is Ndidi the only player on the team? If your threshold for team strength and success is Ndidi, what about other squads that have better players, not only in the EPL, but other competitive leagues? Or players on those squads in the top 5 or 10 teams in the world? How did the coach 'deceive' you? He played with what he had.

What I find frustrating is the misguided belief some Nigerians have that, because we possess one or two players doing well in the EPL, there should be no reason whatsoever for us not to win the AFCON, or make it to the semis in the WC. Building a robust team takes years. Westehoff was very fortunate that most of the other African teams were not retooling and progressing at the rate we did in the 1992 - 1994 timeframe. That is most certainly NOT the case now - every African team is retooling and talent sourcing for players to make themselves better, especially in Europe. Teams like Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Cape Verde, Morocco, Algeria, etc. EVERYONE! You think this will not improve their performance threshold and not make it difficult playing against them? Y'all need to divorce yourselves of the 'Westerhoff' and even the 'Keshi' eras, as those eras are long gone and will NEVER come back. Football dynamics have since changed, making it a whole lot more difficult to win matches than ever before, especially in Africa.

Look, I can understand the impatience of Nigerians, as one of the downsides of Nigeria's 'talent sourcing' project is that the team might seem to be in a constant state of flux, as new talent is being brought in and tried out. However, we need to be patient - it is a learning and developmental process. The upside is that once the core of the team is stabilized, this team will be very competitive and will win trophies.
gochino wrote: I can't even believe Nigerians swallowed that crap! But seriously what's wrong with us?? We had Champions league winners, Uefa cup winners, Nations cup winners , players with previous world cup experience and stars who have played for top clubs like Chelsea, Leicester city, mancity, Liverpool and inter, all in one squad! We had a player like Ndidi that had the record of the most successful tackles in the EPL, yet people will still bring down the bar for a coach that decieved us, saying he went to the biggest football fiesta to learn about football! I tire!
KPOM × 10000
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

There was limited experience on the team that went to the WC and even the AFCON. Most had never played in a competition like that before and so there was some element of stage fright.

I am encouraged that the team is taking shape. You can see that in snippets - like the 1st half against Sierra Leone or the Tunisia friendly game. Granted, there are a few of them that either play 'up and under' when under pressure (e.g. Ekong), or take far too many touches on the ball (e.g. Etebo). But overall, I believe the pace of play and ball movement will increase as competition nears. Also, with more competitive players coming aboard, I am quite optimistic that things will get better.
gochino wrote:Nah! My point is we had experienced players in that team... Rohr has been in charge for five years and his team still plays like they just met each other! They can't play simple possession football to save their lives, how then can they survive at the world cup? Just wondering, do you see anything encouraging in the super eagle style of play? Or do you just believe that as long as Rohr has a long term plan things will automatically change?
Last edited by Otitokoro on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

gochino wrote:Nah! My point is we had experienced players in that team... Rohr has been in charge for five years and his team still plays like they just met each other! They can't play simple possession football to save their lives, how then can they survive at the world cup? Just wondering, do you see anything encouraging in the super eagle style of play? Or do you just believe that as long as Rohr has a long term plan things will automatically change?
And Argentina and Croatia had MORE experienced players and MORE talented players.

So what exactly were you expecting ? The only coach to ever over exceed at a world cup was perhaps Westerhoff. The rest underachieved or did as expected.

The only coach who underachieved was Lagerback in 2010, in a group we had no business not progressing from.

As far as the often repeated LIE, that Rohr team plays like they just met each other. They have recently played great cohesive football against Lesotho, the first 70 men's against Sierra Leone, against Ukraine and Brazil. In fact the best football I have seen SE play for decades.

There will be hiccups along the way, especially playing on piss poor pitches like SL, and when integrating players who have never played on African soil.

Patience is key.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:
And Argentina and Croatia had MORE experienced players and MORE talented players.

So what exactly were you expecting ? The only coach to ever over exceed at a world cup was perhaps Westerhoff. The rest underachieved or did as expected.

The only coach who underachieved was Lagerback in 2010, in a group we had no business not progressing from.

As far as the often repeated LIE, that Rohr team plays like they just met each other. They have recently played great cohesive football against Lesotho, the first 70 men's against Sierra Leone, against Ukraine and Brazil. In fact the best football I have seen SE play for decades.

There will be hiccups along the way, especially playing on piss poor pitches like SL, and when integrating players who have never played on African soil.

Patience is key.
Know! I don't know if VE changed his diet in 2020 but his analysis have been very reasonable unlike years past.

Our team is indeed taking shape but there will be struggles as the team gets. Patience is key. We can't abandon ship over Sierra Leone.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

This shows your argument is an emotional one.
The number of times you critics have stubbornly repeated this myth is uncountable. The number of times you've been corrected is even more.
Its like you just recycle each other's alternative facts without blinking.
We've been reading about this "five years" (and even "six years") from early 2020 when he was 3.5 years on the job. :roll:

Fact check: He is now 4 years 4 months on the job.
Keep your argument credible abeg. Deliberate falsehoods spoil your case. :idea:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FUL (Aina, Lookman, Adarabioyo) v Newcastle

The boys are back on the grass thats green v Newcastle. We need this! :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FUL (Aina, Lookman, Adarabioyo) v Newcastle

Adarabioyo is one calm player, kinda reminds me of the gentle giant capt okechukwu. He just assisted Newscastle's own goal. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!