Memories: Roberto Baggio "goes to town" against Nigeria!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Memories: Roberto Baggio "goes to town" against Nigeria!

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvY8G5axPpk[/video]

Baggio seemed to be everywhere that fateful day.
Then European and world footballer of the year lived up to his reputation.
I sometimes wonder what we as a continent could have done to help out.
Last edited by Field Marshall Ogolo on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Roberto Baggio vs Nigeria

Post by Tobi17 »

The whole nation of Kenya could only wish to have played against Roberto Baggio's cleats; much less the person himself.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

I tried very hard to find tournament footage of Kenya playing against one of the world's best teams, and one of the world's best players, and the closest I could find was this:

PS: How many shillings was the referee paid for that call?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwUg2KoMIWI[/video]
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Eagle wrote:I tried very hard to find tournament footage of Kenya playing against one of the world's best teams, and one of the world's best players, and the closest I could find was this:

What a scandalous video clip ... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
How old was the late Yekini when he finally retired? (RIP)
Those were dangerous moves for a man of his age back then.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Baggio was the best player in the world in 1993 and 1994.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Purity wrote:Baggio was the best player in the world in 1993 and 1994.
He proved it that day. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Ogolo The Great wrote:
It is not easy to play against the likes of Baggio, Stoichkov, Maradona, Modric, Batistuta, Ronaldo (real one), Pogba, Rivaldo, Lionel Messi, Bebeto ..... we struggle against them in the same way that Kenya struggled against Ike Uche.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:
It is not easy to play against the likes of Baggio, Stoichkov, Maradona, Modric, Batistuta, Ronaldo (real one), Pogba, Rivaldo, Lionel Messi, Bebeto ..... we struggle against them in the same way that Kenya struggled against Ike Uche.
Never heard of him. We only knew Okocha & Kanu..

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/it-was- ... r1ugid0rgi

The 1997 match has always been one of the memorable moments in Kenyan football, given the star-studded opponents
Kenya were facing an acid test as they were battling the 1996 Olympic winners but surprisingly they took the lead through Ken Simiyu. Nigeria equalized via Jonathan Akpoborie for the match to end 1-1
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Ogolo The Great wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:

The 1997 match has always been one of the memorable moments in Kenyan football, given the star-studded opponents
Kenya were facing an acid test as they were battling the 1996 Olympic winners but surprisingly they took the lead through Ken Simiyu. Nigeria equalized via Jonathan Akpoborie for the match to end 1-1
I suppose it is difficult for you to keep track of the names of Nigerians who've scored against Kenya. Since 1981, in fourteen matches (12 wins, 2 draws) we've scored thirty-three times .... against seven conceded to Kenya. But for the record, Ike Uche contributed to the total. For all I know, the forumer Oloye may have scored against you as well.

PS: Imagine if y'all played the Baggios and Messis ....
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The Eagle wrote:I tried very hard to find tournament footage of Kenya playing against one of the world's best teams, and one of the world's best players, and the closest I could find was this:

Which elementary school team we were playing against?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

WOW Thanks
I never knew Kenyans played football.
I thought they were only long distance runners after chasing cows for miles over hills.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Memories: Roberto Baggio "goes to town" against Nigeria!

Post by amafolas »

wow the atheliticism of that Nigerian team wow. Good pass by the Italians, but Nigerian defender was always faster than the intended Italian recipient and got there first. An Italian player would look open, and an already beaten Nigerian defender recovers quickly and catches up again with Italian player.

Those guys were big, fit and scary athletic in both defense and attack. Okocha was probably the slowest guy on the team.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

amafolas wrote:wow the atheliticism of that Nigerian team wow. Good pass by the Italians, but Nigerian defender was always faster than the intended Italian recipient and got there first. An Italian player would look open, and an already beaten Nigerian defender recovers quickly and catches up again with Italian player.

Those guys were big, fit and scary athletic in both defense and attack. Okocha was probably the slowest guy on the team.
Please don't reinforce the stereotype... that Nigerian team was also very technically gifted aside from their athleticism.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Tobi17 wrote:
amafolas wrote:wow the atheliticism of that Nigerian team wow. Good pass by the Italians, but Nigerian defender was always faster than the intended Italian recipient and got there first. An Italian player would look open, and an already beaten Nigerian defender recovers quickly and catches up again with Italian player.

Please don't reinforce the stereotype... that Nigerian team was also very technically gifted aside from their athleticism.
This is not about reinforcing stereotypes. Given we are entirely on defense in this entire clip, I am not sure what technical giftedness there is to focus on. Tackling technique? The athleticism on defense is unreal.

This was a ridiculously athletic and fit team. The fact that we are on defense in this entire clips makes it jump out. It's not usually what I focus on when I watch Nigerian soccer. Well that and I am an Arsenal fan, and we have Xhaka and Ceballos in our midfield who are slow as molasses. The other day, I saw Foden, who is not that fast, running with the ball, and still pulling away from Ceballos who was running without the ball!.

Watching players recover and close at lightning speed on defense just jumps out at me while watching these clips, in ways that was never obvious to me. Particularly in the first half, note how quickly a Nigerian defender closes out a pass recipient. One moment the Italian looks open, as soon as the ball gets to him, a Nigerian defender is there in a flash.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

This video showed just how good the SE was in that game especially Oliseh. He looked the best player in that video not Baggio.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Ogolo The Great wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvY8G5axPpk[/video]

Baggio seemed to be everywhere that fateful day.
Then European and world footballer of the year lived up to his reputation.
I sometimes wonder what we as a continent could have done to help out.
Nothing to do with Baggio, Austin Eguavoen totally lost his mind in the latter stages of the match.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Ugbowo wrote:This video showed just how good the SE was in that game especially Oliseh. He looked the best player in that video not Baggio.
Exactly! Was about to point that out, very bad adverisment for Baggio each time he got the ball and wanted to do something special, he was countered by the the Nigerian players.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Looks like he was well marked the entire game and 2 lapses in concentration resulted in goals.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:

I suppose it is difficult for you to keep track of the names of Nigerians who've scored against Kenya. Since 1981, in fourteen matches (12 wins, 2 draws) we've scored thirty-three times .... against seven conceded to Kenya. But for the record, Ike Uche contributed to the total. For all I know, the forumer Oloye may have scored against you as well.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Mmm, heeee, my bello-ooo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Ugbowo wrote:This video showed just how good the SE was in that game especially Oliseh. He looked the best player in that video not Baggio.

We really did miss an opportunity in that World Cup. It still hurts
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Odas wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Mmm, heeee, my bello-ooo!
Oloye is my friend too and he was never part of the scandalous team that lost against Denmark! The loss was yuuuuge! :taunt:
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Ogolo The Great wrote:Oloye is my friend too and he was never part of the scandalous team that lost against Denmark! The loss was yuuuuge! :taunt:
Funnily enough, the Eagles beat Kenya by an aggregate score of 4-1 during 1998 World Cup qualifying .... in hindsight, conceding that lone goal to Kenya should have been seen as evidence of defensive frailty. :)
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:Oloye is my friend too and he was never part of the scandalous team that lost against Denmark! The loss was yuuuuge! :taunt:
Funnily enough, the Eagles beat Kenya by an aggregate score of 4-1 during 1998 World Cup qualifying .... in hindsight, conceding that lone goal to Kenya should have been seen as evidence of defensive frailty. :)
So you have not forgotten the 4-1 beating by Denmark? :taunt:

Denmark was up after 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQCuplnQPPU[/video]

Now you find me a video of Nigeria beating Kenya by more than 3 goals and I will find you the video of Ghana's 7-0 defeat of Naija..
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga