Dont let Rohr kill SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Re: Dont let Rohr kill SE

Post by Adisboy »

maceo4 wrote:
Adisboy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Yeah I like Ajayi but he's a very average player, we couldn't have discovered Adarabioyo at a more convenient time.
IMO he’s also average at this point but has more upside because of his age...
I strongly disagree. I'm not sure you have been watching Adarabioyo's matches recently. The only SE defender that i consider close to his level is Balogun. He is definitely not average and better than any defender we have at the moment.
We've all been watching our boys o, he has a lot of Ajayi's traits IMO, lack of concentration at times, good playing the ball out of the back but not the best defender. But he's still learning unlike Ajayi who should be in his prime...he has time to shed those poor traits.
Adarabioyo is definitely not average. He does not have any of Ajayi's traits. I have seen Ajayi beaten in the air by shorter players directly for 4 (FOUR) goals. Twice for West Brom and Twice for Nigeria. Sierra Leone's 2nd goal is one of them in which he made no attempt to contest a header by a shorter player. It happened also against Arsenal but luckily it didn't result in a goal. Now i have watched Fulham last 6 consecutive matches and i have never seen Tosin beaten in the air by his opponent once. His positioning and awareness has been excellent. Check Fulham's defensive stats recently and compare with West Brom's. It not by accident.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Adisboy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Adisboy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Yeah I like Ajayi but he's a very average player, we couldn't have discovered Adarabioyo at a more convenient time.
I strongly disagree. I'm not sure you have been watching Adarabioyo's matches recently. The only SE defender that i consider close to his level is Balogun. He is definitely not average and better than any defender we have at the moment.
We've all been watching our boys o, he has a lot of Ajayi's traits IMO, lack of concentration at times, good playing the ball out of the back but not the best defender. But he's still learning unlike Ajayi who should be in his prime...he has time to shed those poor traits.
Adarabioyo is definitely not average. He does not have any of Ajayi's traits. I have seen Ajayi beaten in the air by shorter players directly for 4 (FOUR) goals. Twice for West Brom and Twice for Nigeria. Sierra Leone's 2nd goal is one of them in which he made no attempt to contest a header by a shorter player. It happened also against Arsenal but luckily it didn't result in a goal. Now i have watched Fulham last 6 consecutive matches and i have never seen Tosin beaten in the air by his opponent once. His positioning and awareness has been excellent. Check Fulham's defensive stats recently and compare with West Brom's. It not by accident.
Not against you in particular but I have always wondered why Nigerians are obessed with players who have not signaled any interest to play for Nigeria or outrighly rejected Nigeria's advances. Just Weird!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I see today is 'beat up on Semi Ajayi' day. Nigerians and scape-goating, sha. What else is new?
Perhaps you need to re-watch the match and see the events leading up to the second goal. That SL cross from the left was Maduka's to claim. He didn't. The SL lad snuck in between Ekong and Ajayi and got a good header in. Your blaming him for the goal is disingenuous, at the very least.
Adisboy wrote: Adarabioyo is definitely not average. He does not have any of Ajayi's traits. I have seen Ajayi beaten in the air by shorter players directly for 4 (FOUR) goals. Twice for West Brom and Twice for Nigeria. Sierra Leone's 2nd goal is one of them in which he made no attempt to contest a header by a shorter player. It happened also against Arsenal but luckily it didn't result in a goal. Now i have watched Fulham last 6 consecutive matches and i have never seen Tosin beaten in the air by his opponent once. His positioning and awareness has been excellent. Check Fulham's defensive stats recently and compare with West Brom's. It not by accident.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote:Not against you in particular but I have always wondered why Nigerians are obessed with players who have not signaled any interest to play for Nigeria or outrighly rejected Nigeria's advances. Just Weird!
Football is a game of obsession.
Many of our wives and/or girlfriends who see us on this site every day are baffled by our "obsession" with what many call 'the green site". :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Having said that, are you not equally baffled by the "obsession" of those who cannot let those of us tracking potential Nigeria SE players enjoy ourselves in peace?
I've often wondered why they get so anal about it. Some even appear upset and angry. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Any ideas why? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Una see the own goal wey Ekong and Awaziem actually scored? Ewo!!
My number one quality in a defender na stability too. Ekong - panicky and jittery all the time. Awaziem - mistakes everywhere.
deanotito wrote:Una see that own goal wey he almost score??? Ewo!!
Abeg, I no want. My number one quality in a defender is stability. That bobo no stable.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote:I see today is 'beat up on Semi Ajayi' day. Nigerians and scape-goating, sha. What else is new?
Perhaps you need to re-watch the match and see the events leading up to the second goal. That SL cross from the left was Maduka's to claim. He didn't. The SL lad snuck in between Ekong and Ajayi and got a good header in. Your blaming him for the goal is disingenuous, at the very least.
More like 'era', than day.

But that's what fans do.
Let's see...do you remember...
Beat up on Moses Simon era?
Beat up on Ahmed Musa era?
Beat up on Daniel Akpeyi era?
Beat up on Odion Ighalo era?
Beat up on Jamilu Collins era?
Beat up on Maduka Okoye era?
Beat up on Leon Balogun era?
Beat up on Kenneth Omeruo era?
Beat up on Troost-Ekong era?

And of course
Beat up on Amaju Pinnick era?
Beat up on Gernot Rohr era?

And that's just on the current squad.

We 'learn' to (Oops! Forbidden word)...we get used to it.
It comes with the territory of fandom. :idea:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Adisboy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Adisboy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
This is your opinion which is not backed up by any facts. Facts are he hasn’t been able to make it at City and is only at a very poor EPL team having had multiple seasons in the lower leagues trying to prove himself. Sounds to me like an average player. Unless the definition of average has suddenly changed. He’s playing at the exact same level as Ajayi might be slightly better and also has age on his side. But let’s not act like he’s suddenly a class defender or levels above Ajayi, he’s about the same kind of defender with similar traits as you can see mentioned in his who scored rating. He’s comfortable with the ball, good at interceptions, but not the best tackler. Very similar to Ajayis weaknesses:

Adara: avg 6.79 https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13646 ... Adarabioyo
Semi: avg 6.33 https://www.whoscored.com/Players/24781 ... Semi-Ajayi

Hopefully he can work his way up the EPL ladder as I think better teams would take a chance on him if Fulham are relegated as expected and City still won’t give him a chance. I don’t know if I can say the same about Ajayi as of yet but you never know.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Otitokoro wrote:I see today is 'beat up on Semi Ajayi' day. Nigerians and scape-goating, sha. What else is new?
Adisboy wrote: Adarabioyo is definitely not average. He does not have any of Ajayi's traits. I have seen Ajayi beaten in the air by shorter players directly for 4 (FOUR) goals. Twice for West Brom and Twice for Nigeria. Sierra Leone's 2nd goal is one of them in which he made no attempt to contest a header by a shorter player. It happened also against Arsenal but luckily it didn't result in a goal. Now i have watched Fulham last 6 consecutive matches and i have never seen Tosin beaten in the air by his opponent once. His positioning and awareness has been excellent. Check Fulham's defensive stats recently and compare with West Brom's. It not by accident.
I am not in anyway against him being invited to the SE as he can be a defensive midfield option, however I will not rate him among our top 4 CBs. For me he would be an emergency CB option, where we will have to keep our figures crossed.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Otitokoro wrote:Una see the own goal wey Ekong and Awaziem actually scored? Ewo!!
My number one quality in a defender na stability too. Ekong - panicky and jittery all the time. Awaziem - mistakes everywhere.
Abeg, I no want. My number one quality in a defender is stability. That bobo no stable.
Bros, I know you don’t follow my every word but just like you, this is MY NUMBER ONE criticism of Ekong. I am definitely not a fan.

In my own opinion, Awaziem is not panicky, but he’s an average defender. Never have seen anything from him that gives me that much confidence that he should hold down a spot. Ekong, in all his panicky glory, would at least give you a goal line clearance here and there. Awaziem on the other hand is very ‘meh’.

In my own opinion, our best defenders are Balogun and Ebuehi. Balogs is a bit too old now though but Ebuehi has all it takes to be great.

On Ajayi, he seemed not to know what his legs were doing. He just kinda swung them and until the ball hit the post, he looked like he was in a daze. Fa fa fa fowl. That’s how you get eliminated from the world cup
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Una see the own goal wey Ekong and Awaziem actually scored? Ewo!!
Bros, I know you don’t follow my every word but just like you, this is MY NUMBER ONE criticism of Ekong. I am definitely not a fan.

In my own opinion, Awaziem is not panicky, but he’s an average defender. Never have seen anything from him that gives me that much confidence that he should hold down a spot. Ekong, in all his panicky glory, would at least give you a goal line clearance here and there. Awaziem on the other hand is very ‘meh’.

In my own opinion, our best defenders are Balogun and Ebuehi. Balogs is a bit too old now though but Ebuehi has all it takes to be great.

On Ajayi, he seemed not to know what his legs were doing. He just kinda swung them and until the ball hit the post, he looked like he was in a daze. Fa fa fa fowl. That’s how you get eliminated from the world cup
You might be saying this casually, but its a genuine thing. It has happened a few times before, once at least against Brazil that I definitely remember.

'Sorting your feet out' is crucial and its about adjusting your balance quickly and effectively.
Its not a crime in itself, as every player can be caught on the wrong foot from time to time, but when it becomes noticeable because its happening a little more often than usual, then maybe it is a real issue.

Your observation about him ''not knowing what his legs are doing'' is definitely something that has come to mind before.
Nor be say you yab am.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:

BTW, on Ebuehi, I've been watching most of his games on ESPN+, his defending has been very solid, very very solid, bobo has been putting in a shift defensively. But what is glaringly obvious is his unwillingness to try and attack, even when it's clear he has a pace advantage over his opponent. I don't know if he's trying to avoid injury or what, but he does need to improve that side of his game to be a top modern day full back. I get so frustrated just seeing him go sideways and backwards all the time, even when he has space to advance even a little. The few times I have seen him attack resulted in poor crosses, whiffed shots etc, underlining the more reason why he needs to continue to try and work on that aspect of his game. Bobo has the talent to be a baller on both sides of the ball like Sanusi has been with Porto, hopefully he can improve on it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

BTW, on Ebuehi, I've been watching most of his games on ESPN+, his defending has been very solid, very very solid, bobo has been putting in a shift defensively. But what is glaringly obvious is his unwillingness to try and attack, even when it's clear he has a pace advantage over his opponent. I don't know if he's trying to avoid injury or what, but he does need to improve that side of his game to be a top modern day full back. I get so frustrated just seeing him go sideways and backwards all the time, even when he has space to advance even a little. The few times I have seen him attack resulted in poor crosses, whiffed shots etc, underlining the more reason why he needs to continue to try and work on that aspect of his game. Bobo has the talent to be a baller on both sides of the ball like Sanusi has been with Porto, hopefully he can improve on it.
All depends on the coaches instruction and tactical game plan. If the team have enough playmakers in the middle and they are not playing with wing backs, then Ebuehi will be expected to sit. In the GWG he doesn't play with such restraints. He is a bona fide baller.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:

You might be saying this casually, but its a genuine thing. It has happened a few times before, once at least against Brazil that I definitely remember.

'Sorting your feet out' is crucial and its about adjusting your balance quickly and effectively.
Its not a crime in itself, as every player can be caught on the wrong foot from time to time, but when it becomes noticeable because its happening a little more often than usual, then maybe it is a real issue.

Your observation about him ''not knowing what his legs are doing'' is definitely something that has come to mind before.
Nor be say you yab am.
Good thing I wasn’t the only one. I was holding out on judging him cause I hadn’t seen much beyond some grainy friendly match footage and an odd EPL game...But there are times you see one thing and you’ve seen enough. There’s still time for him to improve but right now, if I were coach, he won’t be starting at all.

I like confidence and control in a defender. Know what you’re doing. Do it with resolve and control of your body. Panic is more deadly to a defense than most people realize, and for the love of grace, don’t just swing your legs and arms aimlessly
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Good obs. I haven’t watched any Dutch league games but for Nigeria, the defensive quality was evident from the first game I saw him play. Smart. Keeps his eye on the ball. Makes good decisions. Doesn’t panic.

That knee injury did him in tbh. He was clearly on an upward trajectory in football.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

:bump: :bump: :bump:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

It was a good decision to dismiss Gernot Rohr. We move. There are other managers capable of restoring Nigeria to the pinnacle of African soccer glory. Rohr was given the opportunity for 5 yeasrs. He tried and was renewed and then declined and was dismissed. We move to the next chapter.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof:
How anyone can equate Rohr's removal, which led to immediate disastrous results on ALL levels, to being a 'good decision' is not only befuddling, but really sad.
It will be a shock if any coach worth his salt will want to be associated with the mess of a country called Nigeria along with its misguided and delusional fans.
Good luck.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 pm It was a good decision to dismiss Gernot Rohr. We move. There are other managers capable of restoring Nigeria to the pinnacle of African soccer glory. Rohr was given the opportunity for 5 yeasrs. He tried and was renewed and then declined and was dismissed. We move to the next chapter.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm Prof:
How anyone can equate Rohr's removal, which led to immediate disastrous results on ALL levels, to being a 'good decision' is not only befuddling, but really sad.
It will be a shock if any coach worth his salt will want to be associated with the mess of a country called Nigeria along with its misguided and delusional fans.
Good luck.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 pm It was a good decision to dismiss Gernot Rohr. We move. There are other managers capable of restoring Nigeria to the pinnacle of African soccer glory. Rohr was given the opportunity for 5 yeasrs. He tried and was renewed and then declined and was dismissed. We move to the next chapter.
Otitokoro,

Rohr's sack, if you recall, is not based on the current result except if you are claiming that we are some major Seers or have some Spiritual Powers as NFF top officials. Let me remind you that Rohr's sack was strictly based on the string of poor results that the tesam achieved under Gernot Rohr. In my view, those results earned him a deserved sack. I spill no tears nor do I feel an ounce of apologies or sumpathy for that. It was a decision duly taken.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

String of poor results? Really? What string?
Rohr met ALL his deliverables - qualification for both the AFCON and was at the final stages of the WCQ when he was unceremoniously dumped. Rohr was fired because he absolutely refused to have Eguavoen forced on him as part of his staff (and rightly so, considering how much of a dummy Eguavoen turned out to be). I'm sure you're pleased with the 'success' that the 3 stooges: Dare, Pinnick and Eguavoen have brought you since Rohr left? What a bunch of losers!

Let's stop muddying the waters and deal with the facts. There was NO justification for getting rid of the man except the Minister didn't like him because he was a foreigner and was an impediment to their corrupt practices. One of his lackeys (that flunkie, Amokachi) spilled the beans today. The truth will come out (always does).
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:49 am Otitokoro,

Rohr's sack, if you recall, is not based on the current result except if you are claiming that we are some major Seers or have some Spiritual Powers as NFF top officials. Let me remind you that Rohr's sack was strictly based on the string of poor results that the tesam achieved under Gernot Rohr. In my view, those results earned him a deserved sack. I spill no tears nor do I feel an ounce of apologies or sumpathy for that. It was a decision duly taken.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:37 am String of poor results? Really? What string?
Rohr met ALL his deliverables - qualification for both the AFCON and was at the final stages of the WCQ when he was unceremoniously dumped. Rohr was fired because he absolutely refused to have Eguavoen forced on him as part of his staff (and rightly so, considering how much of a dummy Eguavoen turned out to be). I'm sure you're pleased with the 'success' that the 3 stooges: Dare, Pinnick and Eguavoen have brought you since Rohr left? What a bunch of losers!

Let's stop muddying the waters and deal with the facts. There was NO justification for getting rid of the man except the Minister didn't like him because he was a foreigner and was an impediment to their corrupt practices. One of his lackeys (that flunkie, Amokachi) spilled the beans today. The truth will come out (always does).
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:49 am Otitokoro,

Otitokoro

This is not even a year old, how can you forget?

You mean to state that you have forgotten the mood of the country after the home loss to CAR? Or is that just fiction? Then did you forget what happened after the home draw with CPV?

Bros, Rohr was sacked for those results. Granted he MET the goals alloted to him. There is no denying that fact. But what is clear was that the spate of poor home results forced the NFF to act regardless of the FACT that Rohr met his goals. To deny the results did lead to his sack is truly fictional. It is not even a year ago. You can scroll through media reports of the time. It won't take long nor would those be difficult to access.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:49 am
Good luck.
Otitokoro,

...but none of those strings of poor result resulted in SE not qualifying for the 2 major tournaments.
I think he was fired because his side did not record strings of basketball-like goals against opponents.
To a typical Nigerian fan a 1-0 win is no win, what they want see/hear is buckets of goals.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mcal wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:36 am
Good luck.
Otitokoro,

...but none of those strings of poor result resulted in SE not qualifying for the 2 major tournaments.
I think he was fired because his side did not record strings of basketball-like goals against opponents.
To a typical Nigerian fan a 1-0 win is no win, what they want see/hear is buckets of goals.
Sure but the portend a trend that eventually led to elimination. You do not wait till elimination when a trend is established. Do you? You act on it. Unfortunately, Nigeria's action did not bear fruit but both Ghana acted on a trend and it bore results. Do not forget they had a trend at the AFCON and acted to forestall a looming danger at the WCQ and see what happened. You simply need to act. Sitting in your hands and doing nothing will not rescue you.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:48 pm
mcal wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:36 am
Good luck.
Otitokoro,

Sure but the portend a trend that eventually led to elimination. You do not wait till elimination when a trend is established. Do you? You act on it. Unfortunately, Nigeria's action did not bear fruit but both Ghana acted on a trend and it bore results. Do not forget they had a trend at the AFCON and acted to forestall a looming danger at the WCQ and see what happened. You simply need to act. Sitting in your hands and doing nothing will not rescue you.

As is often the case with you, you shift the parameters and then argue with yourself!

The trend led to qualification, not elimination.

Secondly, comparing to Ghana is misplaced. Ghana ALSO had a string of poor performances/results leading up to AFCON, but never fired the manager until after the tournament as Nigeria did.

Third, Nigeria was in a much better place than Ghana leading up to AFCON, with a settled squad, good team spirit, etc. Ghana did not have that...

Every single outcome from our decision led to a disastrous outcome.

The Ghana analogy is misplaced and part of your usual MO in deflecting...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp