OLISEH Blasts NFF Over Oparanozie's Snub....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
OLISEH Blasts NFF Over Oparanozie's Snub....

Post by Enugu II »

Sunday Oliseh Blasts NFF Over Desire Oparanozie's Squad-list Snub
https://www.sportscentralngr.com/news/r ... -list-snub
by SportsCentral 1 day ago 0 Comment(s)

The African champions are among the teams that will be represented in the Turkish Women's Cup, but there was no room for the captain in the squad list released on Thursday.

Former Super Eagles manager Sunday Oliseh has hit out at the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) for treatment of Super Falcons captain Desire Oparanozie.

The Super Falcons squad for the Turkish Women's Cup were released on Thursday, but the Dijon FCO forward was not included in the 23-person list.

Oparanozie’s omission comes after she led the team to a sit-down protest over unpaid bonuses and allowances at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

NFF’s spokesman, Demola Olajire revealed her absence is not due to the role she played in the protest but the decision of the new coach, Randy Waldrum.

Olajire told BBC as cited by Sports Central: “Oparanozie is still part of the team’s plans, and her non-inclusion has nothing to do with that protest in France because she was not the only one involved. “Selection of players is predominantly the prerogative of the coaches and not the NFF. “She remains an important member of the women’s national side. I think she will just have to keep working on her game and, if she gets the opportunity, then push for a consistent selection.

However, Oliseh has come out to defend the 27-year-old, saying it is an act of injustice on her. The former Borussia Dortmund midfielder also hit out at Oparanozie’s teammate for not standing up for her.

Oliseh said on his Twitter account: When will this “non-compos mentis” end in our football! Once again, Injustice is dealt to a superb Captain fighting for the team by the Nigerian F.A & I cannot hear her teammates speaking out or fighting for her! A very good player at that! We keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

The Super Falcons team include Barcelona star Asisat Oshoala and Atletico Madrid’s new signing, Rasheedat Ajibade.

Francisca Ordega was also included while five players from the Nigeria Women Football League are also part of the squad.

The team are expected to depart for Turkey on February 15
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: OLISEH Blasts NFF Over Oparanozie's Snub....

Post by Damunk »

Oliseh is sowing seeds of further team discontent by 'calling out" her teammates.
I don't think he is helping matters.
He has the means to have a private (or even public) word with the NFF without dragging the other girls into it.
I can't see how this helps matters.
It is simply putting the other players on the spot unnecessarily.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:Oliseh is sowing seeds of further team discontent by 'calling out" her teammates.
He has the means to have a private (or even public) word with the NFF without dragging the other girls into it.
While I agree with you on calling out others by Oliseh but better believe that what Oliseh has done is the cry behind the scenes. It is quite surprising that several of the top stars on that team have kept quiet while Oparanozie's fight, at the time, was for the entire team. If the top five or six stars on that team had stood in solidarity with her, it would be difficult for the NFF to get away with this. Oparanozie's fight was for the players who were on the fringe of the team but she is now left on an Island.

These girls have often united in the past and have won several battles with the NFF but if this bunch go hiding, they (collectively) will bear the brunt because the NFF will leave them in stitches as they have done in the past. This is a battle that they have to fight together.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

guess the girls are glad to finally get together for a game in a long while - their immediate aim will be to get more games, wins and bonuses - after they can fight for others. everybody wants to be on the good books of the new manager.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:Oliseh is sowing seeds of further team discontent by 'calling out" her teammates.
While I agree with you on calling out others by Oliseh but better believe that what Oliseh has done is the cry behind the scenes. It is quite surprising that several of the top stars on that team have kept quiet while Oparanozie's fight, at the time, was for the entire team. If the top five or six stars on that team had stood in solidarity with her, it would be difficult for the NFF to get away with this. Oparanozie's fight was for the players who were on the fringe of the team but she is now left on an Island.

These girls have often united in the past and have won several battles with the NFF but if this bunch go hiding, they (collectively) will bear the brunt because the NFF will leave them in stitches as they have done in the past. This is a battle that they have to fight together.

It’s quite surprising indeed.....It’s something for you to ponder. Let me play devil’s advocate here. Are you 100% sure that she was really fighting for the players or herself? Are you sure that she is not a disruptive player in the team? Why are all the other players so quiet ?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

iworo wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

It’s quite surprising indeed.....It’s something for you to ponder. Let me play devil’s advocate here. Are you 100% sure that she was really fighting for the players or herself? Are you sure that she is not a disruptive player in the team? Why are all the other players so quiet ?
iworo,

I think the silence from others is possibly down to self preservation.

I doubt that she would have been named captain if they saw her as disruptive. There're players who could have bee named ahead of her. Now, if you read the story her fight was for players who were fringe on the team who did not get to the WWC and wanting their promised bonuses to be paid. I believe that it could never have been something she would have pursued without others.

Note also that this current action is not an outlier in terms of how the NFF has historically dealt with NIgerian women players who speak up. It goes way back to the era of Nkiru Okosieme when she bore the brunt of it. Then Frances ca Ordega in recent time. Coach Florence Omagbemi was frozen out after she won the Nations Cup simply because she was judged to have backed the players in fighting for a bonus that they had been promised but was not paid. The list is much longer.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
iworo wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

iworo,

I doubt that she would have been named captain if they saw her as disruptive. There're players who could have bee named ahead of her. Now, if you read the story her fight was for players who were fringe on the team who did not get to the WWC and wanting their promised bonuses to be paid. I believe that it could never have been something she would have pursued without others.

Note also that this current action is not an outlier in terms of how the NFF has historically dealt with NIgerian women players who speak up. It goes way back to the era of Nkiru Okosieme when she bore the brunt of it. Then Frances ca Ordega in recent time. Coach Florence Omagbemi was frozen out after she won the Nations Cup simply because she was judged to have backed the players in fighting for a bonus that they had been promised but was not paid. The list is much longer.

On this matter, the NFF is simply a disgrace.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

iworo wrote:[It’s quite surprising indeed.....It’s something for you to ponder. Let me play devil’s advocate here. Are you 100% sure that she was really fighting for the players or herself? Are you sure that she is not a disruptive player in the team? Why are all the other players so quiet ?
Because they know what will happen to them.
That's why/how Nigeria continues to degenerate - people either support evil or stay silent in the face of it.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

You mean by simply suggesting they sink or swim together?
Many Nigerians have no real moral compass, and that's why/how Nigeria continues to degenerate.

Btw, Oliseh speaks from PERSONAL experience as SE captain...
After leading the struggle for payments owed the team, he was frozen out of the 2002 WC (w/ his vice Finidi).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Gotti wrote:
iworo wrote:[It’s quite surprising indeed.....It’s something for you to ponder. Let me play devil’s advocate here. Are you 100% sure that she was really fighting for the players or herself? Are you sure that she is not a disruptive player in the team? Why are all the other players so quiet ?
Because they know what will happen to them.
That's why/how Nigeria continues to degenerate - people either support evil or stay silent in the face of it.
You guys may be right. I see that possibility too.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Enugu II wrote:
iworo wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

iworo,

Very compelling points from you. I think I believe you now....my eyes are now open.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:
Many Nigerians have no real moral compass, and that's why/how Nigeria continues to degenerate.

After leading the struggle for payments owed the team, he was frozen out of the 2002 WC (w/ his vice Finidi).
Its not the principle of sinking or swimming together that is in question.
Like you said, he did exactly the same thing himself as captain, paid the price and is therefore in a unique position to call out the NFF.
I'm all for that.

My point is the girls do not have the bargaining power anywhere near what the men have and so publicly calling them out puts additional pressure on an already tense and uncomfortable situation for them.

I do not for one second doubt that women in Nigeria are still regarded as much more disposable than men, including in this case, national team footballers.
If you recall the original debate here on CE when the issue came up, possibly half of the views expressed disagreed with Oparanozie's position in the first place.
That's what these girls are up against. Not just the NFF, but a society that values women less.

So Oliseh should tailor his argument to attack the NFF alone and not make the girls part of the problem.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Oga,
Nna,

You are dead right as usual if "frozen out" means that Oliseh not only boycotted the team but also tried to convince or intimidate other players to boycott the team. His yabbis of Kanu and Okocha was not secret. Even Taribo joined the team really late and Agali failed to show up.

Cmoke :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Gotti wrote: