New FIFA Rankings, Nigeria falls down badly

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: New FIFA Rankings, Nigeria falls down badly

Post by kalani JR »

maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:The SE continues to drop, now 5th in Africa and 35th in the world ... una still want ****
https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... e/men/#CAF
Don't worry, once our **** wins the next ANC we will be number 1 :biggrin:
Rankings are irrelevant.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:The SE continues to drop, now 5th in Africa and 35th in the world ... una still want ****
Unlikely.
Algeria still hasn't made #1 despite their recent AFCON credentials.
Unfortunately, winning AFCON doesn't appear to be the beginning and end of the football universe. :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Its the end of the world as we know it.
We have now dropped to 36th. :shock: :shock: :shock:
https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... k/id13197/

The only thing worse is that Fatporkey has hit 89 thousand and 60-something posts.
And he'll appear in here like a beached whale to add plenty more. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:Its the end of the world as we know it.

The only thing worse is that Fatporkey has hit 89 thousand and 60-something posts.
And he'll appear in here like a beached whale to add plenty more. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Bros,

FIFA ranking is rubbish if you ask me. Yes, it is used for grouping at major tournaments but it really does little to help predict the strength of teams. There are rankings that are better predictors.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Unlikely.
Algeria still hasn't made #1 despite their recent AFCON credentials.
Unfortunately, winning AFCON doesn't appear to be the beginning and end of the football universe. :taunt:

Algeria was ranked in the Fifties or even sixties before their AFCON win so it is understandable why they are still not #1

We are much closer currently to Senegal than Algeria was before the last AFCON.

If we win the next AFCON we will likely be #1, unless of course Senegal finishes #2 then they will likely hold on to the top spot. We are currently very close in points to both Morocco and Algeria. Senegal is the only team far ahead of us.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:

Bros,

FIFA ranking is rubbish if you ask me. Yes, it is used for grouping at major tournaments but it really does little to help predict the strength of teams. There are rankings that are better predictors.
This, it's not something that teams and federations care about, they won't fire the manager of France or Germany for not being in the top 3.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:

Bros,

Prof,
I was actually being sarcastic.. :rotf: ..
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lol. Seriously though, where and how does one find the time to post 89,000+ times on one forum. I’m barely over 8,000 and that seems like a heck of a lot to me❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kalani Jr,

I realize they (FIFA, I suppose) care about it However, the ranking has severe holes that even FIFA has continued to recognize and attempt to adjust. I can write an 100-page article on this issue. Apart from a major overhaul years ago, FIFA recently underwent yet another adjustment based on the cross-continent coefficient which gives wins over Luxembourg much higher value than a win over Nigeria (just an example of the absurdity). Although an equation was later developed to help solve this problem, it has failed to do so convincingly.

FIFA admitted a few years ago that while many expect rankings to give a current estimate of a team's strength, its own ranking did a poor job at that very measure. Why? It gives credence to a four-year performance of a team because FIFA sought to balance a need for WC-seeding information with a need to measure the current strength of teams. Unfortunately, both may well be unrelated.

More recently, FIFA has ditched some of the above (not completely) by de-emphasizing distant results in favor of more current ones. Yet, the ranking has not yet solved the problem and it still does not mesh with perception of a team's on-field strength nor does it predict (reasonably) actual results.

Bottomline, the FIFA ranking system remains a huge problem. Other ranking systems (see ELO) have actually developed better ranking systems that are much better predictors of actual team strength.
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Bros,

This, it's not something that teams and federations care about, they won't fire the manager of France or Germany for not being in the top 3.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:Kalani Jr,

I realize they (FIFA, I suppose) care about it However, the ranking has severe holes that even FIFA has continued to recognize and attempt to adjust. I can write an 100-page article on this issue. Apart from a major overhaul years ago, FIFA recently underwent yet another adjustment based on the cross-continent coefficient which gives wins over Luxembourg much higher value than a win over Nigeria (just an example of the absurdity). Although an equation was later developed to help solve this problem, it has failed to do so convincingly.

FIFA admitted a few years ago that while many expect rankings to give a current estimate of a team's strength, its own ranking did a poor job at that very measure. Why? It gives credence to a four-year performance of a team because FIFA sought to balance a need for WC-seeding information with a need to measure the current strength of teams. Unfortunately, both may well be unrelated.

More recently, FIFA has ditched some of the above (not completely) by de-emphasizing distant results in favor of more current ones. Yet, the ranking has not yet solved the problem and it still does not mesh with perception of a team's on-field strength nor does it predict (reasonably) actual results.

Bottomline, the FIFA ranking system remains a huge problem. Other ranking systems (see ELO) have actually developed better ranking systems that are much better predictors of actual team strength.
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Bros,

ELO is MUCH better but still imperfect, I just get the feeling that people mostly ignore them now