Kelechi Nwakali: The real issue - Goal.com

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Kelechi Nwakali: The real issue - Goal.com

Post by cchinukw »

Kelechi Nwakali: How Nigeria's ex-Arsenal World Cup winner got trapped in work-permit hell
Emma Smith
Last updated 4 hours ago
Kelechi Nwakali joins Arsenal
Arsenal.com
ARSENAL

PREMIER LEAGUE

SEGUNDA DIVISIÓN

HUESCA

ALCORCÓN

PRIMERA DIVISIÓN

FEATURES & OPINIONS

AFRICAN ALL STARS
The midfielder moved to north London after starring for his country at under-age level but administrative issues prevented him from playing
The reasons why a player may struggle to live up to 'wonderkid' status are many. Poor attitude, injuries, a poor relationship with a manager, the wrong move at the wrong time, the pressures of expectation – the list goes on.

Kelechi Nwakali perhaps ticks some of those boxes but the main reason the Nigerian midfielder has yet to live up to the hype is a word which strikes fear into any heart – paperwork.

Nwakali signed for Arsenal as a teenager in 2016, having played a starring role in Nigeria's triumph at the Under-17 World Cup in Chile the year before.

The team had two main stars: Victor Osimhen, who won the Golden Boot with a mammoth 10 goals; and Nwakali, the midfield dynamo who picked up the Golden Ball for best player.

The trophy has been won by several players who went on to be major stars, including Landon Donovan, Cesc Fabregas and Toni Kroos.

However, whereas Osimhen was one of the most in-demand strikers in world football last summer, making a big-money move to Napoli having impressed at Lille, Nwakali has rather fallen off the world football radar.

Indeed, the 22-year-old is now on loan at Spanish second division side Alcorcon from La Liga club Huesca.

Kelechi Nwakali Nigeria
He had joined Arsenal from the Diamond Football Academy in Nigeria but work permit issues prevented him from ever playing in the Premier League, and he instead had to spend time on loan in the Netherlands with MVV Maastricht and VVV-Venlo.

Having arrived in England from outside Europe without any experience at senior international level, Nwakali was left in limbo because of paperwork problems, yet he says he was targeted by some fans, who mistakenly saw his lack of playing time as him wasting his talent.

His own U17 manager, ex-Nigeria international Emmanuel Amuneke, seemed to echo these claims over Nwakali’s attitude, telling Goal in April 2020: “There is nothing to doubt about Nwakali’s talent.

"All he needs to do is counsel himself and realise that when you forget the root that took you to success, you start to lose the beauty of what made you who you are.

“A lot of Nigerians are expecting his progression, but it is unfortunate because of what he has passed through over the years. He also needs to check the kind of lifestyle he is living and know that without football, he is a nobody.”

Nwakali has rejected these personal attacks, arguing that there was nothing could do about his inability to break through at Arsenal as a youngster.

"It was difficult mentally not playing for a year, so going through all of that and coming on the internet to see someone say I am gallivanting, was hurtful," he told the BBC in September 2020. "A lot of Nigerian fans had the impression that I am just sitting doing nothing."

A loan to Porto in 2018-19 was supposed to be his chance to move into the European limelight, but he never played in the Portuguese side’s first team, making just 16 appearances for Porto B.

Things got even worse in March 2019, when he was marooned in Nigeria due to yet more visa problems.

Kelechi Nwakali Huesca
Manager Gernot Rohr had called up the player to face Seychelles in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier. Nwakali didn’t play, and soon found himself at the mercy of administration once again.

"I didn't have a Portuguese resident card, it wasn't ready before I left, but I had to come to that game because that was my first official call-up for the Super Eagles. I was stuck in Nigeria for three months," he told the BBC .

"It was difficult getting a visa back to Portugal, I couldn't get back to my club for three months and by the end of the season no one wanted to take me, they said I hadn't been playing.

"I learned a lesson that it is important you do well at your club side first, the national team is important, but some important decisions need to be made, that will help my career in the future and I didn't make the right one in the right moment."

Arsenal eventually seemed to decide Nwakali’s issues were more trouble than they were worth and, in September 2019, he was allowed to leave.

The player himself seemed to bear no ill will, writing on Instagram: "I have gained a lot from my time here and everybody involved with the club have been great to me.

"I just want to say a big thank you and goodbye, because it is time to move on, time for another chapter and another challenge."

He admitted in an interview with TribalFootball last year that it was a wrench to leave Arsenal, but that the need to establish himself and set down roots as a first-team player were more important.

"It was difficult for me to leave because they wanted me to stay," Nwakali said. "But at the same time, I needed to get a place where I can call my home, where I can continue to develop my game."

Nwakali is taking small steps to that goal now.

Settled in Spain with a three-year Huesca contract and the prospect of regular football for the rest of the campaign at Alcorcon, Nigerians will now hope that one of their most promising players of recent years can finally start to come good.

https://www.goal.com/en-my/news/kelechi ... d6txznexzg
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Kelechi Nwakali: The real issue - Goal.com

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

He started his first game with Alcoron last weekend a d did his part in a 1-0 victory. Huesca will likely be relegated so there's plenty of playing time for him in the near future. He now has to use Segundo div as his launching pad muck like Sadiq is doing. Forget SE, transfers and instagram. Focus on each game as they come, luckily the Spanish appreciate,his creativity. He can still make it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I don't understand why there seems to be a frantic drive to get into the SE.
We all have to do the 'bread and butter' work at the start of our careers before we begin to eye the banquet table.
Youth football and the adult game are planets apart and the transition should never be taken for granted.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He started his first game with Alcoron last weekend a d did his part in a 1-0 victory. Huesca will likely be relegated so there's plenty of playing time for him in the near future. He now has to use Segundo div as his launching pad muck like Sadiq is doing. Forget SE, transfers and instagram. Focus on each game as they come, luckily the Spanish appreciate,his creativity. He can still make it.
Amen.
But what is now the problem at Huesca?
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

From your mouth to God’s ears; I just wonder much he has left to offer

Form is temporary; class is permanent but when was the last time he showed what he’s capable of for club or country?

The A Madrid friendly 3 years ago?

Everyone has talent but the successful players work hard and are also lucky....
It baffles me that he couldn’t get 5 mins playing time in an atrocious Huesca side.....

I wish him all the best, but let’s remember Chile was 6 years ago....if Amuneke’s words are anything to go by he needs to knuckle down at Alcorcon, the clock is ticking
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He started his first game with Alcoron last weekend a d did his part in a 1-0 victory. Huesca will likely be relegated so there's plenty of playing time for him in the near future. He now has to use Segundo div as his launching pad muck like Sadiq is doing. Forget SE, transfers and instagram. Focus on each game as they come, luckily the Spanish appreciate,his creativity. He can still make it.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
Amen.
Yep, paper excuse would have made sense if his current setback didn’t happen. Now it’s looking more like a talent/ability/consistency issue same with his older brother. Hope it’s not water finding it’s level...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote:
Amen.
They're facing relegation, bottom of laliga. Coach likes him but he's under pressure to win, he prefers Nwakali's offensive game but can't experiment so they sent him on loan where he's playing a more attacking role. Good move for him I think.

The boy has game changing talent but he needs to settle on a position and just accept he's a segunda player for now. I think he can do it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

bobo spends more time on Instagram , instead of getting into the starting lineup
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bigpokey24 wrote:bobo spends more time on Instagram , instead of getting into the starting lineup
Bigpokey, why do you always have to talk trash? It is not as if you’ve ever played any serious football your entire life. Please, leave the small boy alone to try and get his career on track and stop hating❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:bobo spends more time on Instagram , instead of getting into the starting lineup
Bigpokey, why do you always have to talk trash? It is not as if you’ve ever played any serious football your entire life. Please, leave the small boy alone to try and get his career on track and stop hating❗️

Cheers.
not hating and yes i have played ball before , in many leagues...if you doubt me google nwakali's name and see his IG page... bobo is always on the social media platform , going back and forth , instead of training if you doubt me check this out

https://www.instagram.com/nwakali25/

dude has the potential to be a world-class player, but bobo isn't interested
SuperEagles

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

In addition to your 89k posts on CE you're also trolling on instagram? Geez! Somebody should be arrested for such idleness.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
In addition to your 89k posts on CE you're also trolling on instagram? Geez! Somebody should be arrested for such idleness.
so suck on a lemon,today is 21st day of 21st year of 21st century
SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
so suck on a lemon, today is 21st day of 21st year of 21st century
Go and recalculate. :idea:
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
so suck on a lemon, today is 21st day of 21st year of 21st century
Go and recalculate. :idea:
Wow. He thinks February is the first month of the year? :mrgreen:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
miky
Egg
Egg

Post by miky »

7 of the first 12 pictures on Instagram was in training, how do know he didn't train on the 4 pictures that wasn't a training picture?

Have you seen Ronaldo's instagram?

Bigpokey24 wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:

Cheers.
not hating and yes i have played ball before , in many leagues...if you doubt me google nwakali's name and see his IG page... bobo is always on the social media platform , going back and forth , instead of training if you doubt me check this out

https://www.instagram.com/nwakali25/

dude has the potential to be a world-class player, but bobo isn't interested
A lion never dies it sleeps (Rip..Foe)

An Eagle never dies it soars Rip (Big Boss)
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I have read this story now several times and there is a line there that makes me worry. Here it is:
"I didn't have a Portuguese resident card, it wasn't ready before I left, but I had to come to that game because that was my first official call-up for the Super Eagles. I was stuck in Nigeria for three months," he told the BBC .

"It was difficult getting a visa back to Portugal, I couldn't get back to my club for three months and by the end of the season no one wanted to take me, they said I hadn't been playing.

"I learned a lesson that it is important you do well at your club side first, the national team is important, but some important decisions need to be made, that will help my career in the future and I didn't make the right one in the right moment."
I wonder if he has a good counsel? Why would he make such a trip? It was unlikely that he would start. He could have contacted the NFF to advice them on his situation. Yet, he made the trip. Shakes my head. :blink:

Hopefully, he learned his lesson as he claims. I just hope he did. Nothing else to add, except that the passage speaks volumes.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

The few times I saw him play for Huesca, he looked good. I'm surprised he didn't get more playing time there and even start more games.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Hes playing today @3pm ET V Zaragoza. Hope starts and plays very well.
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

His team beat Zaragoza 1-0 today making it 2 straight win s since he joined them. They're now out of the bottom 3. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

BP is right! The guy cares more about his cars and traveling bags on IG than playing football. Just my observation!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Undertaker wrote:BP is right! The guy cares more about his cars and traveling bags on IG than playing football. Just my observation!
my brother, they called me a hater oooo
SuperEagles

lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Kekechi had practically dragged Alcorcon our of relegation zone. The team was 2nd to last when he came in January and today they just beat Mirandes 4-0 to pit them out of the relation zone. As usual, he played 90mins.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

lacidi wrote:Kekechi had practically dragged Alcorcon our of relegation zone. The team was 2nd to last when he came in January and today they just beat Mirandes 4-0 to pit them out of the relation zone. As usual, he played 90mins.
He has played in all their games since joining them,playing well too. Meanwhile Huesca looks like they'll be going back down. He just needs to focus on where he is and not worry about rejoining Huesca, he'll come good. Very happy for the boy. :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!