A Different Look at the Fan Support of EPL....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
A Different Look at the Fan Support of EPL....

Post by Enugu II »

For whatever it is worth, a different look indeed.
Nigeria EPL Balance Of Trade
0 February 8, 2021 12:26 pm
https://www.completesports.com/nigeria- ... -of-trade/

The business of football is good players and big audience. Nigeria is blessed with 200 million people. We have the both the players and the audience. What’s really killing our football is unhealthy foreign competition and unfavourable balance of trade.

It’s really embarrassing that in 2021, the EPL is the most watched league in Nigeria. And very worrisome that 99% of Nigerian Footballers (I haven’t met the 1% yet) want to play in the EPL. And it’s sad that our industry is focused on exporting players rather than exporting football content.

Our football system needs to change as we are losing more money than gaining from the current way of doing things. Most especially, we are endangering the future. Here’s a balance of trade analysis on how the EPL is really crippling our football economy.

Only 6 Nigerians play in the EPL: Ola Aina, Josh Maja (yet to make an appearance), Alex Iwobi, Seyi Ajayi, Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho. (soccerway.com, 2021)
EPL has over 60% foreign players (433 agents, 2021)
Cost of EPL broadcast rights in sub-Saharan Africa: $222 million per year (sportsmediapro.com, 2020)
Average EPL salary $4m per year (statista.com, 2020)
Nigerian Earnings (pre-tax): $4m x 6players = $24m
Nigeria Earnings after tax (45%) = $13m
Deficit balance of trade: $13m – $222m = -$209m

What can $222m per year do for our league?

Let’s change it to Naira first: $1/N380 (CBN rate not black market c.480)

$222m x N380 = N84 billion Naira!!!

If we pay each NPFL player 10 million Naira per year, we haven’t still touched the money at all. 10m x 20 clubs x 30 players = N6 billion

Let’s pay each NPFL player 20 million per year, that’s about N12 billion

Give clubs N1 billion each for stadium renovation, training facilities, administration, etc that’s about N20 billion.

That’s about 32 billion and we still haven’t spent half of the money that we pay every year just to watch the EPL!

Let’s not lie to ourselves that Messi and Ronaldo are better than our boys in Kano and Abeokuta. All they need is better welfare package and good work conditions plus good coaches. This is not impossible.

What’s impossible is for the EPL and foreign leagues to accommodate the millions of local talents here in Nigeria. Only 6 Nigerians play in the EPL!! The current balance of trade is creating deep poverty in the country.

We are only enriching others by selling players for peanuts and importing football content at huge loss, considering both the actual and opportunity costs!

Very many beautiful football careers die early in this country. I believe it’s a worthy sacrifice to stop watching the EPL and face our future together. The prosperity of the country depends on us.

We can all change our ways now, or wait till later. It’s already enough.

Paschal Agonsi is the founder of Turf Season Super League, a grassroots football development project which is gaining world-wide attention for local footballers.

By: Paschal Agonsi
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: A Different Look at the Fan Support of EPL....

Post by kalani JR »

People will stop watching EPL when they are given a better product.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Football is no different from the rest of our economy. We're just not productive enough, we like it easy.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:People will stop watching EPL when they are given a better product.
Agreed.

I see the non-interest in local football as predictable. It will remain like that until better product on television is shown. The product is there on the field but television and the stories create stars and bring in people. The current NPFL-TV if it continues will achieve that. What I hope NPFL-TV can also do is develop stories around the game as well.

We can take example from the revival of locally-grown music and Nollywood. Nothing is impossible.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:People will stop watching EPL when they are given a better product.
Agreed.

I see the non-interest in local football as predictable. It will remain like that until better product on television is shown. The product is there on the field but television and the stories create stars and bring in people. The current NPFL-TV if it continues will achieve that. What I hope NPFL-TV can also do is develop stories around the game as well.

We can take example from the revival of locally-grown music and Nollywood. Nothing is impossible.
In my lifetime there has never really been that great support for local football, I think the solution is to bring something that families and middle class Nigerians will enjoy going to see on the weekend.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
Agreed.

EII,

The subtle differences are:
1. Nigeria's best are in the local music industry and Nollywood while our local footballers are seen as ‘left overs’,
2. Music and Movies are local to particular cultures and environments, football is universal.

This is not to say that local Football cannot improve its following but the obstacles are more than for music and movies.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Agreed.

EII,

1. Nigeria's best are in the local music industry and Nollywood while our local footballers are seen as ‘left overs’,
2. Music and Movies are local to particular cultures and environments, football is universal.

This is not to say that local Football cannot improve its following but the obstacles are more than for music and movies.
ukwala,

On this, I disagree. First, Nigeria's best had always been local in both music and movies. Yet, Nigerians did not care about those locals in the 1980s and 1990s when they gravitated to American, Indian, and Spanish movies and in music it was American pop or Jamaican reggae. What changed was the remake of local music moving away from purely traditional/unabashedly local to a mixture of dancehall style and the foreign pop with the local tunes. It was more modern and appealed to the youth. Then it also came with captivating videos. The movie industry also blossomed. Instead of watching movies that focused on Africa of two centuries ago there was move to movies focused on the present.

I believe football, already widely played can be made more enticing by storying around it (Nothing started here just yet) and presenting it in appealing form (This has just started).
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kalani Jr,

You are correct. The love for local football was before your time. Yet, it existed. Then the National Stadium was filled to its brim when the top local teams confronted each other.

The love for foreign football came around the 1980s not just because of the Bosman-rule that opened up the transfer market, but the likes of Christian Nwokocha and Sylvanus Okala making it in foreign leagues then joined by Keshi and the like. Then the opening up of privately-owned television stations in Nigeria brought in foreign football. These private broadcasters (began when satellite broadcasting and World Bank loan dictates that forced the military to allow private broadcasters). Private broadcasters, in turn, chose a quicker route to profits by screening foreign football in lieu of producing their own shows.

I strongly believe local football can rise like the local movies and music have done but there has to be serious work. It isn't just about the quality on the field but also about its media promotion (a critical aspect). Think about the fact that in Kenya today, Gor Mahia still fills the local stadium. It isn't that Gor Mahia has more quality than our Enyimba! It is about the marketing of Got Mahia and its historical claim to represent the Luo ethnic community in Kenya or AFC Leopards' representation of a rival ethnic community. Same with AS Vita and TP Mazembe games in the Congo DR. Same occurs at few other African locales. The fact is that the game has to be sold to the public.
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Agreed.

In my lifetime there has never really been that great support for local football, I think the solution is to bring something that families and middle class Nigerians will enjoy going to see on the weekend.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:Kalani Jr,

You are correct. The love for local football was before your time. Yet, it existed. Then the National Stadium was filled to its brim when the top local teams confronted each other.

The love for foreign football came around the 1980s not just because of the Bosman-rule that opened up the transfer market, but the likes of Christian Nwokocha and Sylvanus Okala making it in foreign leagues then joined by Keshi and the like. Then the opening up of privately-owned television stations in Nigeria brought in foreign football. These private broadcasters (began when satellite broadcasting and World Bank loan dictates that forced the military to allow private broadcasters). Private broadcasters, in turn, chose a quicker route to profits by screening foreign football in lieu of producing their own shows.

I strongly believe local football can rise like the local movies and music have done but there has to be serious work. It isn't just about the quality on the field but also about its media promotion (a critical aspect). Think about the fact that in Kenya today, Gor Mahia still fills the local stadium. It isn't that Gor Mahia has more quality than our Enyimba! It is about the marketing of Got Mahia and its historical claim to represent the Luo ethnic community in Kenya or AFC Leopards' representation of a rival ethnic community. Same with AS Vita and TP Mazembe games in the Congo DR. Same occurs at few other African locales. The fact is that the game has to be sold to the public.
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Agreed.

Kenya is a good example since the love for the game isn't as prevalent as it is in Nigeria. I was watching some local football in Ghana, and the teams seemed to have actual supporters, complete with jerseys and everything. Part of fixing this will be new stadiums that people feel comfortable taking their families to. When I lived in Nigeria I was never taken to see a local game because the stadium did not look family friendly, this was despite me watching ball every weekend.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Agreed.

EII,

ukwala,

On this, I disagree. First, Nigeria's best had always been local in both music and movies. Yet, Nigerians did not care about those locals in the 1980s and 1990s when they gravitated to American, Indian, and Spanish movies and in music it was American pop or Jamaican reggae. What changed was the remake of local music moving away from purely traditional/unabashedly local to a mixture of dancehall style and the foreign pop with the local tunes. It was more modern and appealed to the youth. Then it also came with captivating videos. The movie industry also blossomed. Instead of watching movies that focused on Africa of two centuries ago there was move to movies focused on the present.

I believe football, already widely played can be made more enticing by storying around it (Nothing started here just yet) and presenting it in appealing form (This has just started).
EII,

You may be right but I have said it before and will say it again, local football cannot compete with European football. For local football to be popular, European football has to be removed from our TV screens. They cannot exist side by side.
Music has different genres (pop, rock, reggae, highlife, afrobeat, juju, etc.) and all can coexist in equilibrium, ditto movie. On the other hand football is one genre and the best will kill the rest.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Why would people stop watching the EPL? They can do both.
The Far East is one of the biggest market for the EPL, but the Japanese, Korean and even Chinese leagues draw big crowds.

Even in the Gulf states of the Middle East, where they all adopt EPL teams (and now own and/or sponsor some of them, most famously Manchester City), the local leagues still pull in decent crowds.

I am a bit more interested in the cheap talent export aspect of the write-up...
For example, Ndidi was sold by Nath Boys to Genk for GBP78,000, who then sold him to Leicester for GBP18m 2 years later.

Hopefully, these selling Nigerian clubs/academies have "sell-on" clauses in these transfers...
But these days, most of the best youth players are "warehoused" in academies for export abroad (reducing the talent flow into the NPFL).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Attraction
Style
Competitiveness
Money
Professionalism
Hype
Branding
Packaging
Partnerships
Marketing

You need these to create a Nollywood/Naija Music Industry out of local football

Hopefully we can see the signs of an evolution of one or more of these components in the coming years.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Gotti wrote:
Why would people stop watching the EPL? They can do both.
The Far East is one of the biggest market for the EPL, but the Japanese, Korean and even Chinese leagues draw big crowds.

Even in the Gulf states of the Middle East, where they all adopt EPL teams (and now own and/or sponsor some of them, most famously Manchester City), the local leagues still pull in decent crowds.

I am a bit more interested in the cheap talent export aspect of the write-up...
For example, Ndidi was sold by Nath Boys to Genk for GBP78,000, who then sold him to Leicester for GBP18m 2 years later.

Hopefully, these selling Nigerian clubs/academies have "sell-on" clauses in these transfers...
But these days, most of the best youth players are "warehoused" in academies for export abroad (reducing the talent flow into the NPFL).
Point remains the same, give people something they want to watch and the crowds will come. You aren't going to stop people from watching Manchester City, Arsenal or Chelsea no matter what but if there is a decent enough product it can succeed too.

Good point on the talent and I think some teams have caught on but also aren't some players owned by agents as opposed to actual clubs?
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Agreed.

EII,

ukwala,

Like everything about Nigeria (Workforce, Skilled workers etc)
Best Raw talents are local
Best developed talents are foreign

Need to find a way to unearth talents consistently at a young age and nurture them in a developed environment (in Nigeria) to keep them here.

This developed environment is the elephant in the room.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Football is no different from the rest of our economy. We're just not productive enough, we like it easy.
Other countries protect their economy where they don't have an advantage. There is a reason why a Nigerian plumber cannot move to the UK to provide services. In a truly free market this should be possible. We need to protect our football
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:For whatever it is worth, a different look indeed.
0 February 8, 2021 12:26 pm
https://www.completesports.com/nigeria- ... -of-trade/

The business of football is good players and big audience. Nigeria is blessed with 200 million people. We have the both the players and the audience. What’s really killing our football is unhealthy foreign competition and unfavourable balance of trade.

It’s really embarrassing that in 2021, the EPL is the most watched league in Nigeria. And very worrisome that 99% of Nigerian Footballers (I haven’t met the 1% yet) want to play in the EPL. And it’s sad that our industry is focused on exporting players rather than exporting football content.

Our football system needs to change as we are losing more money than gaining from the current way of doing things. Most especially, we are endangering the future. Here’s a balance of trade analysis on how the EPL is really crippling our football economy.

Only 6 Nigerians play in the EPL: Ola Aina, Josh Maja (yet to make an appearance), Alex Iwobi, Seyi Ajayi, Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho. (soccerway.com, 2021)
EPL has over 60% foreign players (433 agents, 2021)
Cost of EPL broadcast rights in sub-Saharan Africa: $222 million per year (sportsmediapro.com, 2020)
Average EPL salary $4m per year (statista.com, 2020)
Nigerian Earnings (pre-tax): $4m x 6players = $24m
Nigeria Earnings after tax (45%) = $13m
Deficit balance of trade: $13m – $222m = -$209m

What can $222m per year do for our league?

Let’s change it to Naira first: $1/N380 (CBN rate not black market c.480)

$222m x N380 = N84 billion Naira!!!

If we pay each NPFL player 10 million Naira per year, we haven’t still touched the money at all. 10m x 20 clubs x 30 players = N6 billion

Let’s pay each NPFL player 20 million per year, that’s about N12 billion

Give clubs N1 billion each for stadium renovation, training facilities, administration, etc that’s about N20 billion.

That’s about 32 billion and we still haven’t spent half of the money that we pay every year just to watch the EPL!

Let’s not lie to ourselves that Messi and Ronaldo are better than our boys in Kano and Abeokuta. All they need is better welfare package and good work conditions plus good coaches. This is not impossible.

What’s impossible is for the EPL and foreign leagues to accommodate the millions of local talents here in Nigeria. Only 6 Nigerians play in the EPL!! The current balance of trade is creating deep poverty in the country.

We are only enriching others by selling players for peanuts and importing football content at huge loss, considering both the actual and opportunity costs!

Very many beautiful football careers die early in this country. I believe it’s a worthy sacrifice to stop watching the EPL and face our future together. The prosperity of the country depends on us.

We can all change our ways now, or wait till later. It’s already enough.

Paschal Agonsi is the founder of Turf Season Super League, a grassroots football development project which is gaining world-wide attention for local footballers.

By: Paschal Agonsi
Flawed analysis.

Is Nigeria = Sub-Saharan Africa = $222 Million/yr ?

What % of Nigerian footballers want tp play in Italy, Spain, France, Germany? More than 1% ?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

aruako1 wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Football is no different from the rest of our economy. We're just not productive enough, we like it easy.
Other countries protect their economy where they don't have an advantage. There is a reason why a Nigerian plumber cannot move to the UK to provide services. In a truly free market this should be possible. We need to protect our football
Good luck stopping English football from being shown in Nigeria.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
I do not think it will be a good move to legislate against EPL in Nigeria.

What needs to be done is to grow a young fan base for the local game by showing the game regularly (done), but also creating a family atmosphere around it, creating human angle stories around the NPFL via the same NPFL TV. This a pull factors that will attract new followers including ladies.

One thing that the NPFL will have over EPL is the fact that the Nigerian can easily get to an EPL gam live. The EPL cannot compete with that. But the NPFL must first create a reason for the Nigerian fan to get to its games. That is where not just live games matter but also the human angle stories. A piece I wrote previously outlines a full picture of how this can be done including creating joint shows with not just the Nollywood industry but the Nigerian music industry.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Its about packaging. Like Gotti said, Nigerians can follow the EPL and the NPFL.

What drew us to the stadiums like lambs to the slaughter back in the day?
It was the larger-than-life status of our footballers.
For us then, they were the best in the world. The press did much to build that image. Commentators like Ernest Okonkwo (God bless him), Yinka Craig (him too) and Dele Adetiba knew how to 'sell' a game real good.

When Enugu Rangers or IICC were coming to town (Lagos) there was a buzz in the air. Nothing else mattered.
Packaging.

I even miss the days when we would crowd around a radio listening to poor transmission quality commentaries on our players "fighting" for Nigeria in faraway lands.
It was epic! :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

kalani JR wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
I never asked to stop showing it. Limit it to the big games and show maybe just one of the traditional 3 pm Saturday kickoffs. Why show Burnley v Sheffield United instead of Enyimba v Pillars? Nobody can stop the big games - even in Brazil they watch them.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote:Its about packaging. Like Gotti said, Nigerians can follow the EPL and the NPFL.

What drew us to the stadiums like lambs to the slaughter back in the day?
It was the larger-than-life status of our footballers.
For us then, they were the best in the world. The press did much to build that image. Commentators like Ernest Okonkwo (God bless him), Yinka Craig (him too) and Dele Adetiba knew how to 'sell' a game real good.

When Enugu Rangers or IICC were coming to town (Lagos) there was a buzz in the air. Nothing else mattered.
Packaging.

I even miss the days when we would crowd around a radio listening to poor transmission quality commentaries on our players "fighting" for Nigeria in faraway lands.
It was epic! :thumb:
It won't happen with the unlimited broadcast of the EPL here. Even in the UK they recognise it. Pre-pandemic in the UK 3 pm kickoffs could not be broadcast live. This was to allow fans to go to the stadiums. You don't want fans choosing between an EPL game on TV and an NPFL game at the stadium. The former always wins.1
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote: I do not think it will be a good move to legislate against EPL in Nigeria.

What needs to be done is to grow a young fan base for the local game by showing the game regularly (done), but also creating a family atmosphere around it, creating human angle stories around the NPFL via the same NPFL TV. This a pull factors that will attract new followers including ladies.

One thing that the NPFL will have over EPL is the fact that the Nigerian can easily get to an EPL gam live. The EPL cannot compete with that. But the NPFL must first create a reason for the Nigerian fan to get to its games. That is where not just live games matter but also the human angle stories. A piece I wrote previously outlines a full picture of how this can be done including creating joint shows with not just the Nollywood industry but the Nigerian music industry.
NPFL?
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Celebrities need to play the game for it to be attractive. People must feel like they are coming to watch Davido play lol.