Zlatan Criticizes LBJ's Social Activism: LBJ Responds

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bell
Egg
Egg
Zlatan Criticizes LBJ's Social Activism: LBJ Responds

Post by Bell »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/309 ... ick-sports

Dave McMenamin
ESPN Staff Writer

LeBron James dismissed Zlatan Ibrahimovic's criticism of his social activism and pointed out the hypocrisy of the AC Milan star's comments on Friday.

Ibrahimovic, whose time playing for his former team, the LA Galaxy, coincided with James' first season with the Lakers, criticized James on Thursday in an interview with UEFA for Discovery+ in Sweden, saying it was a "mistake" and "doesn't look good" when James and other "famous" people get involved in politics.

"He was the same guy who said when he was back in Sweden ... because his last name wasn't a certain last name, that he felt there was some racism going on when he was out on the pitch," James said. "I speak from a very educated mind, so I'm kind of the wrong guy to actually go at because I do my homework."

Several years ago, Ibrahimovic said he was subject to "undercover racism" in his native Sweden because his Bosnian roots gave him a surname that doesn't sound traditionally Swedish.

"I am not Andersson or Svensson," Ibrahimovic told Canal+ in 2018, referring to what he considered racist treatment from the media. "If I would be that, trust me, they would defend me even if I would rob a bank. They would defend me, I tell you."

James was undeterred by Ibrahimovic's stance against him and explained why he approaches off-the-court issues in the manner that he does.

"I would never shut up about things that are wrong," James said following the Lakers' 102-93 win over the Trail Blazers on Friday night. "I preach about my people, and I preach about equality. Social injustice. Racism. Systematic voter suppression. Things that go on in our community.

"Because I was a part of my community at one point and saw the things that was going on, and I know what's going on still because I have a group of 300-plus kids at my school that are going through the same thing, and they need a voice. And I'm their voice. I'm their voice, and I use my platform to continue to shed light on everything that may be going on, not only in my community, but around this country and around the world.

"So, there's no way I would ever just stick to sports, because I understand how this platform and how powerful my voice is. "

James went on to credit former WNBA player Renee Montgomery, who became a part-owner of the Atlanta Dream on Friday after the league put pressure on former Sen. Kelly Loeffler, a Republican who opposed WNBA players' racial justice initiatives last summer, to sell her share of the team.

"You can just ask Renee Montgomery, if I would have shut up and just dribbled [what would have happened]," James said, later referring to the two-time WNBA champion as a "beautiful Black woman."

James also credited Jaylen Brown of the Boston Celtics, Patrick Mahomes of the Kansas City Chiefs and Alvin Kamara of the New Orleans Saints for their commitment to social justice issues.

"It makes me feel proud to be a part of a generation where our voices are heard and guys are speaking from an educated mindset," James said. "But more importantly, when you speak from your heart, it rings bells even louder.

"And we've got a lot of guys speaking from the heart that didn't believe they had a voice at one point in time, or now they're coming into it and they see that they can have a voice and that their voice really matters. That makes me proud."

James' I Promise School in Akron, Ohio, not only educates hundreds of at-risk children in his hometown, but also provides affordable housing, a meal program and job training for the students' families.

His More Than a Vote organization was also instrumental in mobilizing more than 40,000 volunteers to work at polling centers in November's general election in an effort to thwart voter suppression.

"As athletes, we've been hearing this for a long time," James said. "You should [feel] privileged. You should be thankful to be able to dribble a ball or run a football or be able to do the 100-yard dash or be able to swing a baseball bat and things of that nature, You shouldn't be able to speak about anything else, no matter if it's right or wrong, you should just do that. But that's not the case. That's not the case anymore. As long as I'm around, it won't be the case for a long time."
Bell
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Zlatan Criticizes LBJ's Social Activism: LBJ Responds

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Zlatan is an eediot. he should take his own advice and shut up.

Wha choo looking at?!
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Zlatan is an eediot. he should take his own advice and shut up.
Agreed totally.
He can’t even dismiss it as Euro Ignorance
cuz he has lived in America and should
have seen how important social justice is.
Anyway he has always come across as an
Ignorant prick so one shouldn’t be surprised by him.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if athletes shout stay away from politics, reality tv gurus, ala Donald Trump, should stay away from politics too. Some people open mouth and yarn just like that. Ibra should shut up.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Ibra is sounding daft.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

What do yall expect from s classless troll
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Low performing Zlatan comes across as not educated. He needs to pull a team out of trouble for me to consider him a good player.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

joplass wrote:Low performing Zlatan comes across as not educated. He needs to pull a team out of trouble for me to consider him a good player.
How did Milan do when he left?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Zlatan doesn't come from a culture where this kind of thing is normal.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Basketball superstar LeBron James has come out fighting after Swedish football legend Zlatan Ibrahimovic told him to stay out of politics.

Ibrahimovic said in a TV interview sports figures like James should not get involved as "it doesn't look good".

James fired back: "I will never shut up about things that are wrong."

Pointing out Ibrahimovic's own past complaints about racism in Sweden, James said: "I'm kinda the wrong guy to actually go at... I do my homework."

The two are megastars in their respective sports.

Ibrahimovic, in an interview with UEFA and Discovery+ in Sweden, criticised the political activism of sports stars.

"Do what you're good at. Do the category that you do. I play football because I'm the best at playing football, I'm no politician. If I'd been a politician, I would be doing politics.

"This is the first mistake famous people do when they become famous and come into a certain status. For me it is better to avoid certain topics and do what you're best at doing, because otherwise it doesn't look good."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56222894
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

For those who want to know the real Ibra...read on his spats with Onuoah before he left MLS...hint similar to Lukaku
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Zlatan is not qualified to lecture Lebron on social activism, period!!
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

MY TAKE

Prominent public figures do not lose their right to speak on contemporary issues just because they’re well known. Not to say their position has greater validity than that of any other citizen but because they carry a bigger megaphone, they get a lot of attention.

Some of them have chosen to stay out of politics for fear of public reaction or of losing sponsorships. Many of us like them when they speak for us but hate them when they take a contrary position. It may be that Zlatan merely disagrees with the position LeBron takes on the issues; or he’s jealous of the attention LeBron is getting. After all, LeBron is only doing what European Leagues are doing vis-a-vis racism.

Personally, I’m in total agreement with what LeBron is doing. In Fact, he was a victim of racism after he relocated to LA with graffiti scrawled on his new home. And he backs his involvement with giving. As many know, recalling hos own disadvantaged upbringing, he’s built a school for the poor in his hometown of Akron, OH and carries a lot of the extra-curricular costs around the school – he’s putting his money where his mouth is.
Social activism is an American tradition with the likes of Arthur Ashe, the black-gloved Olympic runners, Mohammed Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, etc. On the other side, you had the likes of the Commodores who accepted an apartheid S. Africa invitation because millions of dollars were too much to pass up. (As I asked at the time, if the well to do cannot pass it up, is it the poor who should?).

Zlatan may have spent a brief stint in America but who knows how much he understood the social situation or tradition? If Zlatan has chosen not to speak, that's his right but more power to LeBron.
Bell
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:Low performing Zlatan comes across as not educated. He needs to pull a team out of trouble for me to consider him a good player.
What has he won? He's been in some of the biggest teams in Europe.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
League title after league title, scoring title after scoring title. Still is amongst the top scorers in Italy despite the fact he will be 40 this fall.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
League title after league title, scoring title after scoring title. Still is amongst the top scorers in Italy despite the fact he will be 40 this fall.
Many players win league titles and personal scoring titles after scoring against small teams, we are talking trophies at the Euro level. Zlatan is not at the level of Drogba, Eto'o, and Kanu...that's all I am saying. He has a big mouth tho.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Many players win league titles and personal scoring titles after scoring against small teams, we are talking trophies at the Euro level. Zlatan is not at the level of Drogba, Eto'o, and Kanu...that's all I am saying. He has a big mouth tho.
He is better than both Kanu and Drogba.
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

furiously frank wrote:For those who want to know the real Ibra...read on his spats with Onuoah before he left MLS...hint similar to Lukaku
Please provide link if you have any, thanks.
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Reason # 3467 why i cant stand Ibrahimovic. Overrated striker that has won jack $@#%. He isnt even the best striker in Sweden's history. Imbecile. :evil: :veryangry:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Of course he is better than Kanu in your eyes. EEdiot like you. Is he better than your fellow Cameroonaian Eto too? Moron.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

bret- hart wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
joplass wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Of course he is better than Kanu in your eyes. EEdiot like you. Is he better than your fellow Cameroonaian Eto too? Moron.
I don't get why people try ride Kanu's nuts so hard, is it for what he did at Arsenal? Yakubu was a better contributor to the Super Eagles than him even Owambefemi Martins was better for the Eagus.