Mikel Obi: “Sunday Oliseh had no clue as Manager”

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Mikel Obi: “Sunday Oliseh had no clue as Manager”

Post by waka-man »

This podcast is making me even a bigger fan of Mikel’s. He’s speaking his mind. And unlike many, he doesn’t rubbish Nigeria.

Oliseh needed this takedown from someone on the inside. Job well done.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Clearly, Oliseh, upon further introspection, could have handled the situation more wisely. Similarly, Mikel and Enyeama might have approached it differently. This is not a takedown, as you suggest. Rather, it's Mikel expressing his views, which we must respect. Mikel should avoid using swear words. Given his newly acquired accent, one would expect him to have a broad vocabulary to express himself. His disbelief in Juju doesn't negate its existence. Oliseh's competence as a leader and his tactical acumen are undeniable, as evidenced by his success in Holland as a coach and as the Captain of SE. However, it's also apparent that he had shortcomings in delivering information while preserving the recipient's self-respect.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

highbury wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:44 pm Clearly, Oliseh, upon further introspection, could have handled the situation more wisely. Similarly, Mikel and Enyeama might have approached it differently. This is not a takedown, as you suggest. Rather, it's Mikel expressing his views, which we must respect. Mikel should avoid using swear words. Given his newly acquired accent, one would expect him to have a broad vocabulary to express himself. His disbelief in Juju doesn't negate its existence. Oliseh's competence as a leader and his tactical acumen are undeniable, as evidenced by his success in Holland as a coach and as the Captain of SE. However, it's also apparent that he had shortcomings in delivering information while preserving the recipient's self-respect.
That a very benevolent framing of things…
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

1naija wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:11 pm What accent is he using, English, Irish, or a combination of both mixed with Igbo traders accent? Why can't he just speak like a typical Nigerian.
His accent is ridiculous but it was an insightful interview.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Oliseh was a vastly superior player. Obi also had problems with Siasia. Obi might be telling the truth. But yet again he might be wanting to get attention for a podcast who knows. I haven’t heard other players say the same thing or any other form of collaboration. I do know Oliseh has a temper.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Whilst Im not the biggest Oliseh (the manager) fan, there are always two sides to every story.

Having read his autobiography its given me a bit of an insight into his reasoning and there will be some blowback re Mike's interview. Siddon look mode activated :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

The manager who benched you is the worst manager you've ever played for. Of course! What else would you say? I watched the team under Oliseh. They played well.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:49 pm This is not good. :boo: :boo: :boo:

Mikel shouldn't be rubbishing Oliseh like this. He is obviously still bitter about what went down in camp.
Lolly.

Exactly, correct. It is clear that he is bitter and that bitterness is laced in his condemnation of Oliseh. There is no doubt about that. It oozes from this podcast.....wait for Oliseh's response which is most certainly on the way! LOL!!!!

However, Mikel is correct that Oliseh is very poor at managing people. There is little doubt on that account, given Oliseh's history that we are all familiar with. Remarkably, Mikel's story affirms the rumors that were published in the media in those days. It is incredibly confirming. I did not believe that those rumors were accurate but Mikel bares all, right here.

One thing Mikel confirms is what we already knew about Keshi and why he had been incredibly successful on multiple jobs with the biggest being what he had done taking Togo to the World Cup! Keshi is the example of a leader and that trait goes back to his playing days when he was known as the Boss and then what he did by starting the great migration first to the Ivory Coast and then to Europe for multiple African players. He was truly a leader of men.

This brings me to a point I made several days ago about Ahmed Musa. Forget he is skill as a player at the moment. It appears to me that Musa may well be the closest thing to a Keshi re-make given the clout that he appears to have over others which has been confirmed by FA officials and by players such as Victor Osimhen. Could it be that Ahmed Musa would be the next great managerial success if he was to pursue that profession? This is something to think about.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:00 pm This brings me to a point I made several days ago about Ahmed Musa. Forget he is skill as a player at the moment. It appears to me that Musa may well be the closest thing to a Keshi re-make given the clout that he appears to have over others which has been confirmed by FA officials and by players such as Victor Osimhen. Could it be that Ahmed Musa would be the next great managerial success if he was to pursue that profession? This is something to think about.
No.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

bushboy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:54 pm The manager who benched you is the worst manager you've ever played for. Of course! What else would you say? I watched the team under Oliseh. They played well.
No they didn’t. He was clueless. Making random subs at the 25 min mark.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:04 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:00 pm This brings me to a point I made several days ago about Ahmed Musa. Forget he is skill as a player at the moment. It appears to me that Musa may well be the closest thing to a Keshi re-make given the clout that he appears to have over others which has been confirmed by FA officials and by players such as Victor Osimhen. Could it be that Ahmed Musa would be the next great managerial success if he was to pursue that profession? This is something to think about.
No.
WHY?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

waka-man wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:53 pm
highbury wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:44 pm Clearly, Oliseh, upon further introspection, could have handled the situation more wisely. Similarly, Mikel and Enyeama might have approached it differently. This is not a takedown, as you suggest. Rather, it's Mikel expressing his views, which we must respect. Mikel should avoid using swear words. Given his newly acquired accent, one would expect him to have a broad vocabulary to express himself. His disbelief in Juju doesn't negate its existence. Oliseh's competence as a leader and his tactical acumen are undeniable, as evidenced by his success in Holland as a coach and as the Captain of SE. However, it's also apparent that he had shortcomings in delivering information while preserving the recipient's self-respect.
Benevolent leaning borderline delusional
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

deanotito wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:08 pm

That's your opinion which you're entitled to have
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Damn. Don't hold back Mikel lmao
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

highbury wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm
deanotito wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:08 pm

That's your opinion which you're entitled to have
Bro, you may disagree with Mikel, but saying “this is not a takedown” is a benevolent framing of what Mikel said, bordering on a delusional framing of what Mikel said.

If this ain’t a takedown, we should simply eliminate the term “takedown”
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:00 pm

Mikel shouldn't be rubbishing Oliseh like this. He is obviously still bitter about what went down in camp.
Lolly.

Exactly, correct. It is clear that he is bitter and that bitterness is laced in his condemnation of Oliseh. There is no doubt about that. It oozes from this podcast.....wait for Oliseh's response which is most certainly on the way! LOL!!!!

However, Mikel is correct that Oliseh is very poor at managing people. There is little doubt on that account, given Oliseh's history that we are all familiar with. Remarkably, Mikel's story affirms the rumors that were published in the media in those days. It is incredibly confirming. I did not believe that those rumors were accurate but Mikel bares all, right here.

One thing Mikel confirms is what we already knew about Keshi and why he had been incredibly successful on multiple jobs with the biggest being what he had done taking Togo to the World Cup! Keshi is the example of a leader and that trait goes back to his playing days when he was known as the Boss and then what he did by starting the great migration first to the Ivory Coast and then to Europe for multiple African players. He was truly a leader of men.

This brings me to a point I made several days ago about Ahmed Musa. Forget he is skill as a player at the moment. It appears to me that Musa may well be the closest thing to a Keshi re-make given the clout that he appears to have over others which has been confirmed by FA officials and by players such as Victor Osimhen. Could it be that Ahmed Musa would be the next great managerial success if he was to pursue that profession? This is something to think about.
You had me up until that last point :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: There's a huge difference between leadership and seniority but a lot of you guys think they're the same thing
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:08 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:04 pm
No.
WHY?
No please, sir. No thanks. None of it.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Though I didn't watch the video, but I am disappointed in many of the posts I have read.

Many people seem to forget there are - at least - two sides to a story. Mikel spilled his side which happened several years ago and many here appears to be clapping for him. I wonder what the same people will say when Oliseh responds and lay it ALL out.

But why should they have anything to say when such people already think Oliseh is wrong and his employees [players] are right with their disobedience, or insubordination

For Oliseh, I hope he doesn't respond or say anything at all and if possible, consult with his lawyers and proceed against Mikel as may be advised, or as nevessary.

Surprisingly, some people brought back the Vince Enyeama's [VE] issue which I thought was well dismissed by the elders, or intellectuals in this Forum.

Once again, who know of a Manager in any Corporation who will be openly disrepected by his/her employee and the same manager recommends a pay raise for the rude employee? Personally, I am yet to see any such manager in a REAL Corporation.

Worst still, VE resigned from his post as the goalkeeper of Nigeria because he felt he was bigger than the coach, the team and the nation of Nigeria in general. Folks, where is the respect VE gave to his teammates and his fatherland [Nigeria]?

In all, I see why Nigeria is really a ZOO, a country where thieves are accorded praises and national tltles and et al. Is such what is playing out here?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:53 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:00 pm

Lolly.

You had me up until that last point :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: There's a huge difference between leadership and seniority but a lot of you guys think they're the same thing
You may be thinking of some other person. I certainly do not think seniority equates to leadership and I do not think that the leadership exhibited by Ahmed Musa is about seniority. Far, far from it. Musa's leadership is not about seniority but about personality, my brother. I wonder where you get the idea that his leadership is equated to seniority?

Is it seniority the reason that Rohr, Egu, and Peseiro have all had him recalled to the team each given time? Is it seniority that had the NFF fight to have him on the team? I think not. On the NFF side: I think clearly that Musa has the ability to rally the boys together to not revolt against what many will consider NFF's high handedness as a key reason Amaju wanted Musa back. The Coaches: The coaches, perhaps, wanted him back because of his work in the back room to keep the team focused on team task rather than dwell on individual selfishness. Think of the amount of work the guy does in the community. I would think that you realize he has the name "Guv'nor" for a reason, just a Kehi was called "Big Boss" for a reason. None of those were/are based on age. They are based on leadership! and most of those beyond the field of play!

Sometimes, forget the guy's playing ability. That is not the issue here. The issue is about leadership quality.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

waka-man wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:42 pm This podcast is making me even a bigger fan of Mikel’s. He’s speaking his mind. And unlike many, he doesn’t rubbish Nigeria.

Oliseh needed this takedown from someone on the inside. Job well done.
This is one part i really like about his podcast. I also like how he has brough two top quality Nigerian footballers, and the way he talks well about the team, past players ( not Oliseh as a coach) is top notch
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

1naija wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:11 pm What accent is he using? English, Irish, or a combination of both mixed with Igbo traders accent? Why can't he just speak like a typical Nigerian.
The spelling of his name should be evidence enough for the answer. Was half expecting a Russian accent in ode to his Dovstoeska.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I know its harsh, but Mikel has a right to his truth - his opinion - of who he believes is the worst coach he has ever played under; and also, his personal experience with the person.

Those in football understand that this is normal, as not every player who plays for you likes your style, rates you or likes working with you. Pep, Mourinho, Fergie, Benitez, Conte etc etc have all had scathing comments from past players. it didnt "end" their careers, perhaps, since they are not Africans - since its only Africans who have their careers ended by social media comments.

As for Oliseh, he shouldn't respond. If he is ever asked, he can state that as Mikel confirmed, Mikel only worked with him during one international break, where Oliseh coached 2 games. And as such, he does not know Mikel, personally, so he isn't in a position to discuss Mikel's comments. However, the questionnaire would get a better sense of his relationship with his past players by speaking with players he coached for a longer period.
Last edited by danfo driver on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Odas wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:06 pm Though I didn't watch the video, but I am disappointed in many of the posts I have read.

Many people seem to forget there are - at least - two sides to a story. Mikel spilled his side which happened several years ago and many here appears to be clapping for him. I wonder what the same people will say when Oliseh responds and lay it ALL out.

But why should they have anything to say when such people already think Oliseh is wrong and his employees [players] are right with their disobedience, or insubordination

For Oliseh, I hope he doesn't respond or say anything at all and if possible, consult with his lawyers and proceed against Mikel as may be advised, or as nevessary.

Surprisingly, some people brought back the Vince Enyeama's [VE] issue which I thought was well dismissed by the elders, or intellectuals in this Forum.

Once again, who know of a Manager in any Corporation who will be openly disrepected by his/her employee and the same manager recommends a pay raise for the rude employee? Personally, I am yet to see any such manager in a REAL Corporation.

Worst still, VE resigned from his post as the goalkeeper of Nigeria because he felt he was bigger than the coach, the team and the nation of Nigeria in general. Folks, where is the respect VE gave to his teammates and his fatherland [Nigeria]?

In all, I see why Nigeria is really a ZOO, a country where thieves are accorded praises and national tltles and et al. Is such what is playing out here?
Maybe ‘watch the video” first. You might even discover it’s not a video…