How do you rate the NPL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
How do you rate the NPL

Post by ohenhen1 »

The problem with the NPL is that there are no finances to keep the talent in the league, the organization is terrible, but despite all this problems i am still excited to watch a 3SC vs Rangers or a 3SC vs Enyimba contest. I am a shooting stars fan, i grew up in lagos supporting Stores, but with their debacle, i have switched loyalty to the Ibadan side. I don't get it when fellow forumners come out saying that MLS is better than the NPl because of money and organization. I ask you have you seen a MLS game. They can't even pass the ball three times before loosing posesion. My secondary school team will beat DC united. I actually made a mistake going to a DC united vs Colorado rapids game. I was fooled by hype surrounding Freddy Adu. Normally i will not waste my time. So i decided to take my camera and go watch Freddy Adu. What i saw was a terrible game, the crowd were dismal, not passionate like we 3SC or saulo paulo fans. The highlight of the game, was seeing the little kids on the big screen monitor being featured while singing all around the stadium. MLS may have more money and organization. Despite it all, NPL is more exciting to go and watch, and the talent level is far superior than the MLS despite all this advantages. Notable NPl teams who will wallop MLS competion. Rangers, 3SC, Enyimba, National, Insurance, and Dolphins.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

African star where you dey
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How do you rate the NPL

Post by txj »

If u are not current with the situation in Nigerian domestic football, u will do well to seek help, not come here and peddle ignorance. There may be talent in the local league, of that there is little debate, but the quality of team game is poor, very poor. Yes, there is Enyimba, and then Dolphins, Rangers, etc, but I would not make cavaliar projections on their ability to walk all over MLS teams, who have much higher team organizations, even if less talented (raw that is) players.
Talent is not everything in football...

ohenhen1 wrote:The problem with the NPL is that there are no finances to keep the talent in the league, the organization is terrible, but despite all this problems i am still excited to watch a 3SC vs Rangers or a 3SC vs Enyimba contest. I am a shooting stars fan, i grew up in lagos supporting Stores, but with their debacle, i have switched loyalty to the Ibadan side. I don't get it when fellow forumners come out saying that MLS is better than the NPl because of money and organization. I ask you have you seen a MLS game. They can't even pass the ball three times before loosing posesion. My secondary school team will beat DC united. I actually made a mistake going to a DC united vs Colorado rapids game. I was fooled by hype surrounding Freddy Adu. Normally i will not waste my time. So i decided to take my camera and go watch Freddy Adu. What i saw was a terrible game, the crowd were dismal, not passionate like we 3SC or saulo paulo fans. The highlight of the game, was seeing the little kids on the big screen monitor being featured while singing all around the stadium. MLS may have more money and organization. Despite it all, NPL is more exciting to go and watch, and the talent level is far superior than the MLS despite all this advantages. Notable NPl teams who will wallop MLS competion. Rangers, 3SC, Enyimba, National, Insurance, and Dolphins.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: How do you rate the NPL

Post by ohenhen1 »

txj wrote:If u are not current with the situation in Nigerian domestic football, u will do well to seek help, not come here and peddle ignorance. There may be talent in the local league, of that there is little debate, but the quality of team game is poor, very poor. Yes, there is Enyimba, and then Dolphins, Rangers, etc, but I would not make cavaliar projections on their ability to walk all over MLS teams, who have much higher team organizations, even if less talented (raw that is) players.
Talent is not everything in football...

ohenhen1 wrote:The problem with the NPL is that there are no finances to keep the talent in the league, the organization is terrible, but despite all this problems i am still excited to watch a 3SC vs Rangers or a 3SC vs Enyimba contest. I am a shooting stars fan, i grew up in lagos supporting Stores, but with their debacle, i have switched loyalty to the Ibadan side. I don't get it when fellow forumners come out saying that MLS is better than the NPl because of money and organization. I ask you have you seen a MLS game. They can't even pass the ball three times before loosing posesion. My secondary school team will beat DC united. I actually made a mistake going to a DC united vs Colorado rapids game. I was fooled by hype surrounding Freddy Adu. Normally i will not waste my time. So i decided to take my camera and go watch Freddy Adu. What i saw was a terrible game, the crowd were dismal, not passionate like we 3SC or saulo paulo fans. The highlight of the game, was seeing the little kids on the big screen monitor being featured while singing all around the stadium. MLS may have more money and organization. Despite it all, NPL is more exciting to go and watch, and the talent level is far superior than the MLS despite all this advantages. Notable NPl teams who will wallop MLS competion. Rangers, 3SC, Enyimba, National, Insurance, and Dolphins.
What team organization. Maybe in the national team they have team organization. Have you watched a MLS game. i have, and what they put on the field was not team play. It was rubbish. in a 80 thousand seat stadium, only five thousand showed up. The play was absolutely rubbish, all they did was pass the ball in their own half, once the ball crosses the half way line they loose the ball, and we start the cycle again. it took them 59 minutes to register a shot on goal. I guess you also have serious problems, not African Star anymore

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

tHE npl cannot boast more than two quality games a week.
and those games would likely be between any of Rangers, Enyimba, Dolphins, Lobi stars, Iwuanyanwu nationale and to an extent Kano Pillars.
Yes nigeria has the talent but the organisation is poor and the coaching is poor too.
some times i believe i could be a better coach than most of the NPL Coaches

I used to respect coaches like Amodu, Musa Abdulahi, Kadiri Ikhana, Lawrence Akpokona before but after what i saw last two years in the nigerian league i must say (Ayo will love this) i no longer have any respect for any nigerian coach in the nigerian league.

About naija clubs beating any MLS side, i think right now only Enyimba has that credential becos apart from building a solid side over the years, they have instilled an uncanny confidence in their players, any one who wears the Enyimba jersey that they are almost invincible.
but aside Enyimba, any other naija club will crumble in the face of foriegn opposition.
Dolphins are the bogey team of Enyimba and will always give them a run for their money even if they emerge world club champions, but dolphins do not have the character that Enyimba has.
Rangers as far as i'm concerned like Pillars are still a grassroot team.
what they have as their budget for one year, Dolphins spend in two months and i mean it
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Ohenhen, Check this out, LA GALAXY, DC UNITED, NE REVOLUTIONS, FC DALLAS will take enyimba to the cleaners, my man.

Stop hating on the MLS.

Most of the MLS teams start their preseason training in europe playing against quality teams before returning home for the beginning of the season.
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

ikwerreman wrote:tHE npl cannot boast more than two quality games a week.
and those games would likely be between any of Rangers, Enyimba, Dolphins, Lobi stars, Iwuanyanwu nationale and to an extent Kano Pillars.
Yes nigeria has the talent but the organisation is poor and the coaching is poor too.

I used to respect coaches like Amodu, Musa Abdulahi, Kadiri Ikhana, Lawrence Akpokona before but after what i saw last two years in the nigerian league i must say (Ayo will love this) i no longer have any respect for any nigerian coach in the nigerian league.

About naija clubs beating any MLS side, i think right now only Enyimba has that credential becos apart from building a solid side over the years, they have instilled an uncanny confidence in their players, any one who wears the Enyimba jersey that they are almost invincible.
but aside Enyimba, any other naija club will crumble in the face of foriegn opposition.
Dolphins are the bogey team of Enyimba and will always give them a run for their money even if they emerge world club champions, but dolphins do not have the character that Enyimba has.
what they have as their budget for one year, Dolphins spend in two months and i mean it
Atleast you have two quality games per week. I live in the US, i have lived in Nigeria. I will rather go to an NPL game than a MLS game. Rangers, Enyimba, 3SC games how i miss those days.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I 2 live in the US and have watched MLS games. The only thing NPL players have over them is raw talent and power, which might be a disadvantage with good refereeing.
Because of my job and frequent trips, I get to watch NPL games, and they are poor beyond description..but then I go there to watch the players not the teams...
I have seen many good MLS games, none close to European standards, but many beyond the NPL.
Take an advice- educate yourself about Nigerian domestic football. You need it!

ohenhen1 wrote:

Atleast you have two quality games per week. I live in the US, i have lived in Nigeria. I will rather go to an NPL game than a MLS game. Rangers, Enyimba, 3SC games how i miss those days.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

txj wrote:I 2 live in the US and have watched MLS games. The only thing NPL players have over them is raw talent and power, which might be a disadvantage with good refereeing.
Because of my job and frequent trips, I get to watch NPL games, and they are poor beyond description..but then I go there to watch the players not the teams...
I have seen many good MLS games, none close to European standards, but many beyond the NPL.

ohenhen1 wrote:

Stop spreading american propaganda on this forumn. We have had enough of the WoMD rubbish. I too was in Nigeria just last year. The games were way better than the MLS games i have watched. Maybe the pitches were bad, but the overal game was way better. The average team is good in the NPL. And i think it is time we need to recongnize the NPL and support our league. Believe me i am educated about the NPL. MLS is a joke.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

GIN wrote:Ohenhen, Check this out, LA GALAXY, DC UNITED, NE REVOLUTIONS, FC DALLAS will take enyimba to the cleaners, my man.

Stop hating on the MLS.

Most of the MLS teams start their preseason training in europe playing against quality teams before returning home for the beginning of the season.
Did you say they will take Enyimba to cleaners. Now i see you have serious problems on this forumn. When people are creating post to see if enyimba could have won the nations cup. you are saying this rubbish. My man you have serious problems.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

quote="ezeoneofobz"]I don't think they would have won but the cohesiveness would have been there. With that, anything is possible. Is one thing to have talent but its another to work as a unit and play the beautiful game.[/quote]

Now this a fellow forumner, who thinks that enyimba has cohessiveness to chalenge for the nations cup. And is it enyimba the same team that won two of the last three champions league. The same that also lost to insurance, enugu rangers, 3SC, Nationale, lobi, and dolphins last year. Don't underate our league. Don't be a contributing factor, to the weapon that european league use, to come and raid our league for players at undervalue transfer fees.
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

ohenhen, do you need glasses? :lol: :lol: :lol:

MLS teams play other south american teams and central american teams on a regular basis. You will be surprised to see how they fare against strong competitions.

DC UNITED are also continental champions, Ohenhen, so what da dili yo?
http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load ... =tradition
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

GIN wrote:ohenhen, do you need glasses? :lol: :lol: :lol:

MLS teams play other south american teams and central american teams on a regular basis. You will be surprised to see how they fare against strong competitions.

DC UNITED are also continental champions, Ohenhen, so what da dili yo?
http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/load ... =tradition
You have serious problems. I will never watch an MLS game again. Since i have Goal TV, and ART. No more Fox sports world and uselless MLS or A league.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Don't believe the hype you hear on this forum about how NPL teams can challenge EPL teams. They are written by people that have not seen NPL football lately. While there are undoubtedly RAW UNREFINED talents in the NPL, the TEAMS lack discipline, tactical organisation and just can't defend. Add to that the abysmal standard of goalkeeping. NPL GKs are fast acquiring a reputation for their inability to catch a football.

There are notable exceptions like Dolphins, Enyimba, Rangers and Pillars who are about the only ones you can accuse of playing "professional" football.

NPL defenders routinely make mistakes that would get me dropped from my local park team.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wiseone wrote:Don't believe the hype you hear on this forum about how NPL teams can challenge EPL teams. They are written by people that have not seen NPL football lately. While there are undoubtedly RAW UNREFINED talents in the NPL, the TEAMS lack discipline, tactical organisation and just can't defend. Add to that the abysmal standard of goalkeeping. NPL GKs are fast acquiring a reputation for their inability to catch a football.

There are notable exceptions like Dolphins, Enyimba, Rangers and Pillars who are about the only ones you can accuse of playing "professional" football.

NPL defenders routinely make mistakes that would get me dropped from my local park team.
First of all i am not saying that the NPL is any way close to european football standards. I am saying that the NPL is better than the MLS. I disagree on you about goalkeeping. Isn't this the same league that produced Sunday Rotimi, Vanzekin, Enyeama, Ejide, Etafia, Oluwaniyi, Ayineuba and etc. Their only weakness is with crosses, and that can be corrected through emphasiis on training our local goalkeepers to be efficient with this crosses. And also don't forget to add to your list, teams like Nationale, Insurance, 3SC, Kwara United, Lobi, and Plateau United.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The US is an insult to the football rankings. They are ranked 7th in the world. They play teams like Quatamala, in a small stadium not fit for Fifa events and they become ranked so high. Disgraceful.
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

ohenhen, stop being deceptive. I guess beating Japan does not count in your book as quality opposition. US has played more quality games in the last 12 months than our SE team period. You also fail to realize that the US reached the final 8 at the last world cup.

The US team is improving each and everyday. Ohenhen, put down the hatorade. :lol: :lol:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Ohenhen, the keepers you mention are the only half decent GKs that have come out of the NPL in the last 7 years. That is just not good enough....and even then none of the GKs you mention is even as good as an average European GK like Chris Kirkland for example.

Please, PLEASE do not mention teams like 3SC as having quality players. 3SC's players are NOT footballers....they are glorified lumberjacks....all power, huge physiques but running around like headless chickens with no technical nous.

ohenhen1 wrote:
wiseone wrote:Don't believe the hype you hear on this forum about how NPL teams can challenge EPL teams. They are written by people that have not seen NPL football lately. While there are undoubtedly RAW UNREFINED talents in the NPL, the TEAMS lack discipline, tactical organisation and just can't defend. Add to that the abysmal standard of goalkeeping. NPL GKs are fast acquiring a reputation for their inability to catch a football.

First of all i am not saying that the NPL is any way close to european football standards. I am saying that the NPL is better than the MLS. I disagree on you about goalkeeping. Isn't this the same league that produced Sunday Rotimi, Vanzekin, Enyeama, Ejide, Etafia, Oluwaniyi, Ayineuba and etc. Their only weakness is with crosses, and that can be corrected through emphasiis on training our local goalkeepers to be efficient with this crosses. And also don't forget to add to your list, teams like Nationale, Insurance, 3SC, Kwara United, Lobi, and Plateau United.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wiseone wrote:Ohenhen, the keepers you mention are the only half decent GKs that have come out of the NPL in the last 7 years. That is just not good enough....and even then none of the GKs you mention is even as good as an average European GK like Chris Kirkland for example.

Please, PLEASE do not mention teams like 3SC as having quality players. 3SC's players are NOT footballers....they are glorified lumberjacks....all power, huge physiques but running around like headless chickens with no technical nous.

ohenhen1 wrote:

What about Ladi Gasper, Ebenezer Ojo, Oluwole Johnson, kola ige, Soga Sambo, and etc. And i guess the same no technique group of players beat mighty enyimba last year and finished sixth after a return from division two. In a couple of years we will return to rightly place and champions of NPL and contenders for the continent.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuting stars for life
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

GIN wrote:ohenhen, stop being deceptive. I guess beating Japan does not count in your book as quality opposition. US has played more quality games in the last 12 months than our SE team period. You also fail to realize that the US reached the final 8 at the last world cup.

The US team is improving each and everyday. Ohenhen, put down the hatorade. :lol: :lol:
I am not saying that the US national team is not organized. Actually i wish that the MLS can play up to the standards of teamwork displayed by the national team, then i will buy season tickets. The MLS is rubbsih. This post is not about the US national team which does have good teamwork. i still think ghana will beat the us at the worldcup. The US will go home with no points.

Italy 3 US 1
Czech 4 US 0
Ghana 3 US 2
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

txj wrote:I 2 live in the US and have watched MLS games. The only thing NPL players have over them is raw talent and power, which might be a disadvantage with good refereeing.

ohenhen1 wrote:

what NPL games did you watch? gate way vs NPA?
or julius berger vs Gombe united?
ayomeks
Egg
Egg

Post by ayomeks »

there are so many problems in the league inspite of the abundant talents.
some of the clubs don't actually know what theybare doing. all they know is to get money from the govt and then turn around to cheat the players.
some of the managers are guilty of keeping the money in their ank accounts and will not release the money until they have sufficient interest.
then majority of the clubs don't have offices. they are run from the home of their chairman or team manager.
while some don't have enough money to ginger their players, others that are rich don't even take the welfare of the players serious.
most of the them don't actually pay well and the bulk of the money go to bribing referees and other tactically works like spiritual, giving NPL workers money to reveal officials secret and then inducing players of opposing teams.
so the rich clubs know excatly what they use their money for. the poor clubs also spent some money to bribe referees.
the only way team mangers of most of the clubs prove that they are working is to BRIBE so that they can win matches and then they remain in power.
so there is corruption everywhere in the Nigeria Professional League.
how can a club budget 1 million to give to a referee in a club where the highest paid is just 35,000 naira a month?
The clubs are not run properly. there are no structures on the ground. no one can really say this is what the clubs are doing.
then coaches also are not left out.
majority of them don't know anything. they can go to any length to see that they achieve their aim. most of them would ask you whether you can do the "tacticals" before they sign for you.
the players in the league can do anything to play in benin republic as long as they are called Professionals.
then sportswriters are not helping matters. some of them are used to talk to referees.
the BOTTOMLINE IS THE NPL CAN BE BEETR THAN WHAT IT IS PRESENTLY.
BUT CORRUPTION HAS EATEN DEEP IN THE SYSTEM.IT IS ONLY WHEN WE DO THE RIGHT THINGS THAT FOOTBALL CAN REGAIN ITS PAST GLORY IN NIGERIA.
To contibute my quota
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enyimba vs Rangers, Dolphin, Pillars, Insurance, Sharks, 3SC
Nationale-NPA, 3SC
Rangers vs Berger, Enyimba, Nationale, Pillars, Tornadoes, Gombe, NPA, Gateway, 3SC.......
ikwerreman wrote:

ohenhen1 wrote:

what NPL games did you watch? gate way vs NPA?
or julius berger vs Gombe united?