[WC2006] Cote d'Ivoire (1-2) Argentina ...FT (Droggles 82')

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

In the end it was a simple matter of class and technical ability overcoming raw talent.

The Argies just seemed so much more composed. Their passing and running off the ball was so crisp and fluid. Their short passing game was also a beauty to behold. And when they got their chances, they buried them with lethal effect.

The Ivorians on the other hand just seemed to have too much gra gra in them. Instead of a simple deft touch, their passes seemed to heavy and with too much steam on them.

Everything was frenetic and disorganized. Instead of settling down and taking a balanced shot on goal, they either forced an unwise cross or hurried themselves into an unbalanced shot. Either way, I was pretty disappointed with the Ivorians.

Some of their players also showed a very low soccer IQ. I mean, I could count several times where a player should have passed himself out of trouble but would rather allow himself to be boxed into a corner and then try and dribble his way between two or three players, a play that usually resulted in the ball being stolen anyway.

Their midfield was also a joke. Riquelme who cannot handle pressure at all was given all day to set up shop and distribute the ball with no hassle at all.

I really felt sorry for Drogba who had to come back into midfield just to become part of the play. IV is the African country which has the talent and hopefully the moxie to do well in this tourney so I hope they can turn it around very soon.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

The Ivorien's played well but the officiating was poor and in my opinion biased as expected against the African side.

The second goal in my opinion was offside. I was shocked that the panel never had a good look at it and replays were avided. If it was a goal against England, I bet it would be highlighted over and over again.

The Argentines were VERY rough and the ref let them get away with all their antics.

Ivory coast must win their next game and I pray they have a better ref for their next 2 games.
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Altobelli
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Altobelli »

Tizie was awful! I hope this was just a bad night for him!
elerineye wrote:
DAgrin wrote:Who agrees that Tizie is an aweful goalkeeper? :shock:
ONLY Ayo no gree o, everybodi else agree say di bobo pass useless sef.
Bonita Applebum, say you gotta put me on........
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

realplayer wrote:The Ivorien's played well but the officiating was poor and in my opinion biased as expected against the African side.

The second goal in my opinion was offside. I was shocked that the panel never had a good look at it and replays were avided. If it was a goal against England, I bet it would be highlighted over and over again.

The Argentines were VERY rough and the ref let them get away with all their antics.

Ivory coast must win their next game and I pray they have a better ref for their next 2 games.
I dont think the 2nd goal was offside. There was definitely an Argentine player who was offside but he did not interfer with play.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

This game was lost by the CIV coaching staff. he should have gone with DD as the lone striker, 3 kard working MF's and 2 wide MF's with blazinf speed/skiill combo. Yaya, Zokora + ?? should have played centrally in ball winning type roles. Dindane should have started wide left in MF while perhaps any one of the Kone bros should have started wide right. It would not have made for a pretty game but at the end of the day only the scoreline matters. If you don't crowd the argie's in MF, practice the drill on how to pick the ball out of your net. Argie was certain of this game once they went ahead 2-0.... and their subs pattern betrayed this considering that neither tevez nor messi was deployed in the game.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Altobelli wrote:Tizie was awful! I hope this was just a bad night for him!
elerineye wrote:
Ol'boy did you watch the ANC? Tizie was awful then and still awful now.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

What is embarassing is the arrogance of the Argentines before and during this game. CIV was completely outthought and outclassed. Their inexperience was woefully exposed.
green4life wrote:This game was lost by the CIV coaching staff. he should have gone with DD as the lone striker, 3 kard working MF's and 2 wide MF's with blazinf speed/skiill combo. Yaya, Zokora + ?? should have played centrally in ball winning type roles. Dindane should have started wide left in MF while perhaps any one of the Kone bros should have started wide right. It would not have made for a pretty game but at the end of the day only the scoreline matters. If you don't crowd the argie's in MF, practice the drill on how to pick the ball out of your net. Argie was certain of this game once they went ahead 2-0.... and their subs pattern betrayed this considering that neither tevez nor messi was deployed in the game.
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Robbynice wrote:
elerineye wrote:
Can someone please explain what JJT did to be awful

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

tfco wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
elerineye wrote:
To answer your question, based on today's games and goal keeper performances, who wud u have on your team? Tizie (CIV) or Hislop (TT)?
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Riche007 wrote:
tfco wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
elerineye wrote:
To answer your question, based on today's games and goal keeper performances, who wud u have on your team? Tizie (CIV) or Hislop (TT)?
you did not answer.

What did Tizie do wrong? Am not focusing on Hislop.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

bros,I no go lie... as I was watching this game, it hit me that this is the sort of game that Cameroon would have done well in. Your boys would have disrupted the pace & timing of the argie passing flow with timely phisical tackles in MF. Riquelme would have sweated his asss off. I was just fustrated cause I know that CIV has the personnel to beat argie.
mlkama wrote:What is embarassing is the arrogance of the Argentines before and during this game. CIV was completely outthought and outclassed. Their inexperience was woefully exposed.
green4life wrote:This game was lost by the CIV coaching staff. he should have gone with DD as the lone striker, 3 kard working MF's and 2 wide MF's with blazinf speed/skiill combo. Yaya, Zokora + ?? should have played centrally in ball winning type roles. Dindane should have started wide left in MF while perhaps any one of the Kone bros should have started wide right. It would not have made for a pretty game but at the end of the day only the scoreline matters. If you don't crowd the argie's in MF, practice the drill on how to pick the ball out of your net. Argie was certain of this game once they went ahead 2-0.... and their subs pattern betrayed this considering that neither tevez nor messi was deployed in the game.
Gboye777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye777 »

tfco wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
elerineye wrote:

He fumbled the ball several times. Two of those fumbles resulted in goals though the first was disallowed.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Argentina go hear wen!!! :lol:

...In all fairness, it was a good effort from CIV, but as expected, the know-how prevailed ahead of the inexperience!
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

elerineye wrote:
It's not a question of bad night, this is how he keeps every game. The only time you won't notice is if he's not tested.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

tfco wrote:
Riche007 wrote:
tfco wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
elerineye wrote:
you did not answer.

What did Tizie do wrong? Am not focusing on Hislop.
If you did not see what Tizie did today to be awfull, you should please hope that Adjei perform like he did, maybe then you'll see. BTW this is how Tizie perform every game.
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

The goalie was blameless for the 2 goals.

Riquelme was allowed too much freedom in the MF. I expected the Ivoriens to have closer and physical attention as the Argies did to Drogba.

The left winger held on to the ball too much and on many occasions dribbled himself into trouble. The quality of the crosses and corners were VERY poor from the Ivoriens.

If these lapses are resolved, then there is hope.
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

realplayer wrote:The goalie was blameless for the 2 goals.

Riquelme was allowed too much freedom in the MF. I expected the Ivoriens to have closer and physical attention as the Argies did to Drogba.

The left winger held on to the ball too much and on many occasions dribbled himself into trouble. The quality of the crosses and corners were VERY poor from the Ivoriens.

...and when I ask what Tizie did wrong today, I do not get a straight answer.

Am I talking to politicians here?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

Argentiina realized that Drogba was a threat and they did all to neutralize him. Similar attention should have been paid to Riquelme.

I have never been a fan of Henry Michel (he did not even celebrate when they score) and I hope they have enough talent to win inspite of lousy coaching and detached attitude of the coaches.

elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

tfco wrote:

Why don't you just go and watch the game again like you said...
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

skillful wrote:
green4life wrote:
DAgrin wrote:
skillful wrote:kalou since he left auxxure has been rubbish
Kalou is obviously the best man on the pitch for the Ivory Coast.
Are you watching a different match?
we are watching diff games.
The bobo is definately watching another game they have just taken him off :D

and I still wonder why, the german commentator couldn't understand it either :P
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
YoungLion
Egg
Egg

Post by YoungLion »

Henri Michel's coaching career will be over after Ivory Coast gets eliminated. What were Baky, Dindane and Arouna doing on the bench in the first half? Why didn't Cote D'ivoire make better use of their right/left flanks to free up the middle and create more space for their front men? What was Kalou doing on the field all evening?
Was it just me or did Arouna forgot how to make a simple pass?
Never once did HM get off his #$% to direct his players. He did what he does best...shyly sit in hix box praying for a miracle.
Their game was too tight, their midfield inexistant, and their flanks practically empty. All they did was improvise in the Argentines' eighteen in the hopes of scoring. The World Cup's also where the best tacticians meet and Henri's Michel's definately not one of them.
The indomitable Lions of Cameroon.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

elerineye wrote:
tfco wrote:

Why don't you just go and watch the game again like you said...
I did
- JJT fumbled the header which was an "almost" goal. That was a powerful header btw

Now what else did he fumble?? You guys are killing me. I have watched the game twice and I saw 1 fumble. Anyone?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

just the typical african defences, get to world cup, screw up!!! trinidad showed everyone how to defend as a team, sweden are not argentina but still, all ivory coast did was attack with nothing to show for it

that match could have easily ended up in 2 all draw, now ivory coast are the looking at early exit!!!!! unless they get a result in their 2 next games, i believe they have the players, they just need to be disciplined
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko