Econet contacts Obafemi for Eagles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Econet contacts Obafemi for Eagles

Post by txj »

By Onochie Anibeze
Monday, March 22, 2004

After the Nigeria Football Association failed to get Inter Milan’s kid sensation Obafemi Martins to play for Nigeria, officials of Econet Wireless Nigeria have swung into action to ensure the NEW BOY IN TOWN honours national invitation..

And even if Obafemi does not report to play against Tunisia in the crucial Olympic qualifier this weekend in Tunis, there are indications that he may soon play for Nigeria, thanks to the efforts of Econet, the mobile phone that is enjoying the endorsement of current Africa’s most valuable, Jay Jay Okocha and Arsenal’s striker Kanu Nwankwo. Obafemi signed a Buddie contract December 31, to also endorse Econet and now the mobile phone outfit wants to assist the NFA in getting the best hands to play for Nigeria.

Bolaji Balogun, the Chief Marketing Officer of Econet and Mr Opemipo Alebiosu, the Buddie Brand Manager and Tony Iweanya have been on the trail of Obafemi and Friday Nwankwo Kuja, the Nigerian manager of these players yesterday confirmed that Econet has made contacts with Obafemi and said that “the guy will likely change his mind.”

And that will mean playing for Nigeria. Obafemi has repeatedly said that he was not ripe enough to play for the Super Eagles but the Nigerian authorities have always felt differently especially after watching him torment defenders in Europe. He even faced negative press in Nigeria after he bluntly refused to play at the last Nations Cup. Now Econet may change all that.

“They (Econet officials) have been pushing and trying to get Obafemi to play for Nigeria. Bolaji Balogun has been tremendous about this. Opemipo and Tony Iweanya have been helpful too. I think it will later turn out to be a positive effort,” Kuja said yesterday.

Iweanya also confirmed that they were in touch with Obafemi and that they were hopeful of a positive response from the striker.Coach Christian Chukwu said had the game to play for the Super Eagles.
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

I dont think we have to go that far.
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

what a big shame! how can they be disgracing Naija this much. The kid should be left alone. Naija is bigger than anyone player. I hope the boy turns down the call. I will hate to see him in Eagles jersey after all this shakara, because he wont do jack!
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Which ine concern econet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I'd hate to be in Obafemi's shoe if and when he decides to play for Nigeria. Imagine the pressure that he will be under to deliver after all this hype.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

1naija wrote:I'd hate to be in Obafemi's shoe if and when he decides to play for Nigeria. Imagine the pressure that he will be under to deliver after all this hype.
1Naija, I have to agree with you my bro. He has received too much bad publicity. However, Martins has always said he will be avaliable to play in the Under 23 if called up. It all depends on how we (i.e the NFA) deal with the invitation.

I must add, I am not holding my breath, because the NFA are the epitomy of incompentence.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Nonsense!

This is strictly Business. Endorse our product and we help to convince him to play for Nigeria.

ECONET has no Business in Persuading ANY PLAYER to play for their Country.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

1naija, just imagine the peace and unity the SE can enjoy without the distraction Oba will bring with him?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Naija and drama self. All those "convincing" and hyping the foolish boy to play now will be the first do ask for his blood if he doesnt perform. Haba, if the boy doesnt want to play for us, HIS LOSS!

Nonsense. No be somebody be Osaze wey no even be starter, but ended up bangin in 3 goals @ the ANC?

If Obafemi does not willingly come and play the qualifiers, no fool should invite him for the tournament proper!

When all is said and done, he aint Pele or Maradona!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Jinn
Egg
Egg

Post by Jinn »

& then imagine he dons the shirt of the SE & him no score a single goal...hmmm...then he keeps coming & after 4 call ups him no score...:lol: :lol:...him go hear wehn.
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Can't you guys read this report for what it is?

This is purely a marketing scam for Econet.
Persuading him my foot.
The guy already said he would be there for naija in Athens if we get there (and if he's invited) and for the WC qualifiers.
Econet cannot do jack to bring him down. The NFA still has the final say on whether he plays or not.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

This Martins coverage for this site tire me o......you guys give him more coverage than Cameroonian heroes like Roger Milla, Nkono, Abega, tataw etc. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Q
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

quickie wrote:This Martins coverage for this site tire me o......you guys give him more coverage than Cameroonian heroes like Roger Milla, Nkono, Abega, tataw etc. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Q
Martins na our best striker for Europe this year. Shocking when you consider how many goals he has scored but that is out lot. We need him and you see for yourself for Highbury, the bobo na top player.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ECONET HAS ALREADY DESTROYED US,THEY ARE KEEPING KANU IN THE SQUAD! POLITRICS.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

shaq wrote:Can't you guys read this report for what it is?

Persuading him my foot.
The guy already said he would be there for naija in Athens if we get there (and if he's invited) and for the WC qualifiers.
Econet cannot do jack to bring him down. The NFA still has the final say on whether he plays or not.
I don't understand what you mean by marketing scam??? If you know a thing or two about marketing you will understand why Econet are making overtures to him to play for Naija. Econet btw, is a Nigerian mobile phone network and Nigeria and Nigerian constitute their market.
If you had followed the news about Martins you would have notice the negative press reports on him, first with the flip flops about honoring Faro camp, then to the wahala of been called up by Cameroun which is not helped by his impolitic comment of coming from Bakassi...So they had to get him to do something positive. As to whether NFA wants him or not, you don't need to look further, if they don't need him they wont invite him. What is more just imagine all the troubles Ogunjobi had to go through contacting Inter and speaking with Femi personally...how many players did he do that for..... Lets try and put these things in perspectives please :arrow:
manplus
Egg
Egg

Post by manplus »

Why are we still begging this guy?
How much disrespect does he need to pour on our
collective heads befeore we stop cheapening ourselves?
Why are we so desperate to have him after all the dissing?

For goodness sake, we have people who are ready to die for us
and we insist on this begging this yeye guy. I don't care if he scores
10,000 goals for Inter. Unless he comes back begging US, he should
never be invited again.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Eaglezbeak wrote:ECONET HAS ALREADY DESTROYED US,THEY ARE KEEPING KANU IN THE SQUAD! POLITRICS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

as soon as obafemi broke onto the scene last year there were some who predicted that he would be the next Yekini for Nigeria. i still happen to believe this will be the case.

i didn't want him smelling the Eagles until after featuring in the olympics and it's playing out just as I'd envisioned. i almost feel like i'm telepathically running the show.
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

I have begun to dislike Oba...
he is feeling too big to play for his country,too bad!
tribalfootball.com
Egg
Egg

Post by tribalfootball.com »

ONOCHIE AGAIN!!!!!!. HE MOST HAVE STARTED THIS BRANDING REPORTING!!!

WHOSE BIZ IF OBA FAILS TO PLAY FOR NIGERIA.???

WE HAVE PLAYERS WHO HAVE DORNED THE GREEN WHITE GREEN WITH BIGGER RESPECT AND YET STILL BEG TO PLAY FOR NIGERIA.

PLS WE SHOULD TO GIVE HYPE WHEN IT IS DUE.
OBA IS JUST TOO RATED UNITL HE PROVES HIM SELF AT THE NATIONAL TEAM HE IS NOT YET THE PLAYER I EXPECT TO SAVE US FROM THE SHAKLES OF POOR MARKSMANSHIP.

I RESPECT HIM AS PLAYER BUT NOT AS A MESIAH THE WAY SOME OTHERS ARE TURNING HIM TO BE
Jesus loves u
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

furiously frank wrote:
shaq wrote:Can't you guys read this report for what it is?

Persuading him my foot.
I don't understand what you mean by marketing scam??? If you know a thing or two about marketing you will understand why Econet are making overtures to him to play for Naija. Econet btw, is a Nigerian mobile phone network and Nigeria and Nigerian constitute their market.
If you had followed the news about Martins you would have notice the negative press reports on him, first with the flip flops about honoring Faro camp, then to the wahala of been called up by Cameroun which is not helped by his impolitic comment of coming from Bakassi...So they had to get him to do something positive. As to whether NFA wants him or not, you don't need to look further, if they don't need him they wont invite him. What is more just imagine all the troubles Ogunjobi had to go through contacting Inter and speaking with Femi personally...how many players did he do that for..... Lets try and put these things in perspectives please :arrow:
Ok, scam is a strong word to use. The report merely strokes the ego of Econet.
Frankly (and furiously too :P ), I think the report does more harm to Oba than good because it gets more people thinking he's playing too hard to get.
If I can recall, he already said he would be in Athens and would also be available for the WCQ. I never read anywhere when he said he would don the GWG for the last ANC.
I feel if he now plays for the U-23, Econet will be claiming the glory, and people would think he came to play just for the money and not because he is hungry to play for 9ja. And I don't even want to imagine what would happen if he flops in his first game in GWG.
And may be it's just me thinking too much. :?:

As per Ogunjobi begging players, reports had it that he went to Agali's house in Festac just b4 the ANC. But that's besides the point.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Those begging him are just making him feel more IMPORTANT than the COUNTRY.

"Don't think of what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" - J.F. KENNEDY.

Martins should think better. :roll: :roll: :roll:

As much as I love to see him wear the Green White Green, I also want him to play cool and show a little respect for his motherland. It baffles me to see somebody like Martins who came from one of the most responsible part of Nigeria - a tribe that can be said to have A-1 in RESPECTING people can be doing this to his country. Too Bad If He Still Fails To Come This Time.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Waffiman wrote:
quickie wrote:This Martins coverage for this site tire me o......you guys give him more coverage than Cameroonian heroes like Roger Milla, Nkono, Abega, tataw etc. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Q
Martins na our best striker for Europe this year. Shocking when you consider how many goals he has scored but that is out lot. We need him and you see for yourself for Highbury, the bobo na top player.
Waffi,

Best striker for Africa, Europe or even solar system is Martins own problem. People like Yekini and Amokachi didn't have the most illustrious club careers in europe but played for our jersey like possessed men...... Club form counts for nothing when internationals land...we know that, or we,Cameroon and senegal won't have taken all the scalps we have in world football.All that one na big names...football is on the day.

Like I posted in another martins-related topic, people like Martins come and go, we have seen them over the years....real Eagles don't. Until Martins dons a green jersey and plays his heart out....me I'm not feeling him. I'm sorry.

If him like make him dey fly.

Q