SEX TRADE EXPLODES IN NIGERIA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet
SEX TRADE EXPLODES IN NIGERIA

Post by ROSSIKE »

ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

THE FULL TEXT:

Daily Independent Online. * Friday, November 21, 2003.
Sex trade booms Nationwide

By Rotimi Durojaiye

Law Correspondent, Lagos

In Lagos, nearly every side street corner has a whorehouse. From Ojuelegba to Ikeja, Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Ikeja, Mushin, Apapa, Ajegunle and Ijeshatedo, sex has gone commercial. For N300, prostitutes are willing to strip and engage in a round of sex.

In Ikeja, Obafemi Awolowo Road, Allen Avenue, Aromire Avenue and Opebi Road, have assumed notoriety as places where prostitutes of all shapes stand to solicit for men. Those who can't go through the ordeal of standing on roadsides for endless hours loiter around Airport Hotel, Jabita Intercontinental Hotel, Xinos Knight Club Night Club and Jolly Friends Hotel on Ajao Street, Ikeja.

In Apapa, Wazobia Nite Club serves as a haven for prostitutes, while in Ajegunle, a popular spot is Liberia Inn on Olowojeunjeje Street, where little girls converge. For as little as N300, a hard-pressed man can have quick sex (waggishly called touch your toes') with prostitutes. This scene is not peculiar to Lagos.

In Akure, Ondo State, prostitutes swarm like bees. NEPA Junction, along Hospital Road, is a place where prostitutes always gather. There is the Elan Club on Owo Road where sex is the main commodity. At Alpha International Hotel on Akure-Ondo Road, prostitutes hang out at the car park. At the Royal Birds Hotel, Ijapo Estate, for as little as N1,000, prostitutes are willing to let go inside parked cars.

In Ibadan, Oyo State, Mokola area is it. The area is usually a beehive of activities as people mass each night as if there is a night market going on. For N1, 000, many of these prostitutes would hop on the bed to satisfy any randy man. In Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, prostitutes also line most of the streets. They are evident around Owena Motel and Olujoda International Hotel in the Ajilosun area of the city. In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Ibara and Oke-Ilewo areas are the most notorious.

In Calabar, Cross River State, the huge number of prostitutes made them form an association for better bargaining power. They have uniform rates and some even carry certificates of fitness issued by the association, usually counter-signed by a medical doctor.

In Port Harcourt, Rivers State, prostitutes also line most of the streets. They are found around Hotel Presidential and Chi Chi Discotheque on Aba Road. In Ilorin, Kwara State, prostitutes have taken over the state- owned Kwara Hotel and the Amusement park. As from 7 pm daily, the hotel and the park are turned into market for teenagers who sleep with men.

Abuja, the Federal Capital, is not left out. Prostitutes are available in Mile 2, a stone throw from the Area One Secretariat, in Garki, where a portion of the country's bureaucracy is housed. At Eddy-Vic-Motel, on Ahmadu Bello Way, behind Central Bank of Nigeria, as many as 45 girls between the ages of 18 and 30 are clustered ready to melt into the waiting arms of their stranger-lovers. Most notorious is Constantine Street, off Ibrahim Babangida Road, where street lovers strip to change to their see-through dresses in the hunt for Abuja men.

One thing common to the prostitutes in all the big cities, especially Lagos, is their easy categorisation. They fall into various broad groups. There are those who stand by the roadside to solicit for men once night falls. They charge between N1,000 and N2,000 for "short time", which often lasts one hour. Because of the booming trade, most hotels in big cities often make contingency arrangements to meet up with such demands.

For a token fee of N500, they let go their hotel rooms for short-time customers. They also provide drive-ins to help conceal the cars of their customers. The same girls charge between N2, 000 and N4, 000 for the night, in addition to the sticks of cigarette and bottles of beer or stout they often demand from their patrons.

There are also others who throng nightclubs to solicit for men. At Xinos Night Club on Aromire Street, Ikeja, there is usually an overwhelming number of prostitutes, who oftentimes outnumber men. Their routine is simple: They arrive at about 10.30 pm everyday, sit around the bar, buy themselves drinks, and smoke. Immediately the club comes alive around 11 p.m, they begin to move around, dancing suggestively to arouse the men into action. Interested men then strike a deal with them and both move over to any of the nearby hotels to satisfy each other's sexual desire. Perhaps, the most common class of the prostitutes are those who reside in low-class brothels and shanties to ply their trade. A lot of these brothels can be found in the densely populated areas of the cities. A typical example is what goes on at Jolly Friends Hotel, Ajao Street, Ikeja, run by a middle-aged man. There are about 100 rooms in the hotel, each occupied by a prostitute who in turn pays the man a rent of N500. That translates to N50, 000 per day and N150, 000 per month. The resident prostitutes are billed separately for electricity, water and cleaning of the surrounding.

For these girls, business is smooth sail. "What they only need to do is have their bath, make-up and sit down just by their doors to make passes at customers who come in ", explained a barman simply called Tobby. "The going rate is N1,000 per round", he added.

But the worrisome thing about prostitution is the increasing involvement of adolescents, especially university undergraduates. At the University of Lagos, Akoka, it is open knowledge that some of the university's female students operate as prostitutes in big hotels. Scenes each night in front of the female hostels in the university speak volumes. Everyday, between 10pm and 11pm, the parking lot in front of the Madam Tinubu Hall (MTH), one of the female hostels, is always abuzz with the unmistakable bustle of pimping and hustling, the type found among prostitutes around big time brothels. Cars of all makes, especially posh ones, jostle for space in front of the halls. The girls themselves play along. They move in and out of the hostel to join their boyfriends for a night of pleasure. By 1.00 am on most weekends, most beds are bare of female students.

Each time there is a big party in Ile-Ife, Ilesha, Akure, Ondo, Owo or its environs, female students from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and University of Ibadan, are usually invited to keep guests company.

Why the upsurge? "The economic condition in the country today is terrible. It stands to reason that girls would prostitute to survive. That is what the economic adversity of the country has reduced the females to", said Tolu Fadahunsi, a media consultant. A 22-year prostitute who gave her name as Jennifer operates at Kuramo Beach, Victoria Island. She confessed to this reporter that she solicits for men to make money. "It is not that I enjoy what I am doing, but I have to get money to do what other girls do - buy dresses and shoes".

Shade, another 25-year-old prostitute, said her reason for going into prostitution is "to make money. I live in a room at Ketu. I sleep during day and I resume here at night".

It is not only the lowly that patronise these call girls. Daily Independent investigations revealed that highly placed Nigerians do it. They are complimented by a handful of diplomats and foreign nationals. This explains the existence of ready markets along Adetokunbo Ademola, Sanusi Fafunwa, Idowu Taylor and Akin Adesola Road, all in Victoria Island. They hang out there because they are rest assured of getting patronage.

Whores and those patronising them may not be aware that prostitution is a crime. Sections 223, 224 and 225 of the Criminal Code prohibits the existence of brothels and the practice of prostitution. Penalties for setting up brothels ranging from six months to two years jail terms are clearly stated. But these laws are not enforced. A Deputy Commissioner of Police, who pleaded anonymity, said the police do raid and arrest prostitutes, everyday. He explained, thus:

"What people often overlook is that the Criminal Code itself does not help matters. It does not clearly define who a prostitute is. Really, there is no law against prostitution. What the law opposes is soliciting for men, not prostitution. Even the issue of brothels, how do you define what constitutes a brothel? These are difficult terms to prove. But we raid them notwithstanding, not because of prostitutes but because of other related vices like crime".
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

This reporter must have engaged in some "serious" research to come up with the going rate in the places mentioned. On a more serious note, I hope the patrons of these prostitutes are using condoms because AIDS is spreading fast in Nigeria.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I hear the sounds of printers of all makes and models creaking to life all across cyberspace ...

Seriously, this is sad. Faced with little opportunity, young and not so young women are trying to improve their economic situation any way they can. Same story in Eastern Europe and parts of Asia, especially Thailand.

Wha choo looking at?!
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

Morale decline and poverty. Nigeria needs a change of leaders.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Its happens everywhere around the world so whats the big deal?
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Ohsee will soon come and tell us this is a "subculture".
http://www.naijiant.com/
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

You know, I was going to post something on this topic but thought better of it. I wanted to wait to see what CIC Old Boy would say first. Predictably, he has dragged me into the discussion.

So CIC, you are now claiming that most Naija women engage in prostitution eh? I hope you realize that this article refutes your claims that Naija women are screwing around indiscriminately. Large scale prostitution is the surest evidence that the typical Naija woman is not giving it up that easily. If Naija men could get it easily for free, there would be very little market for prostitution don't you think?

This is what is the prime difference between the black women of the West and the women of Nigeria. The women of the West give it up for free (once the man convinces them that he "loves" them, or even just for fun); a small number of Naija women--the poverty of the country dictates that it be a small number--give it up to those who have money to pay. It is not the same.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

New Year, same old Oga Ohsee :roll: . Where did I claim that MOST Naija women engage in prostitution? The facts are that significant numbers are involved in different forms of prostitution. MANY does not translate into MOST. The significant numbers involved suggest this has gone beyond just a “subculture”.

Ohsee, your New Year Resolution should be less books, more reality. Your theory that “large scale prostitution is the surest evidence that the typical Naija woman is not giving it up that easily” ignores two crucial factors:

1. A lot of men that patronise prostitutes do not do so because they can’t get action elsewhere – prostitutes provide a different kind of thrill. The fact you can get a decent meal at home, or can afford to eat at an upmarket restaurant, doesn’t mean you don’t fancy McDonalds once in a while :mrgreen: .

2. The article does not only talk about “career” prostitutes, it provides examples of university students and adolescents engaged in this activity. These people look like “typical Naija women” to me.

I’m not sure I get your point that the “poverty of the country dictates that it be a small number” engaged in this activity. All indications seem to be that poverty is driving larger numbers to the game.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

guys its the nature of things in the country, andthe situations that warrant such activity....people who encounter desperate times, will do desperate things.....Also, if there is no couseling to our young women, they will do it anyway. what of international prosties?????they make bank oohh(sleeping with bush,sadam,gates, sonny okosun,president of Capitol records)and all these hot shotsd). again, counseling comes in,and if one does not train their sisters,friends,etc, and they get involved in such things expect the worse. like TALKIT said it happens everywhere. whether you walk the paved streets of geneva or london,or the dusty strees of chad or run down streets of new york/detroit, dem day........
It can be economically based, but also it can be a way of prestige. if a girl makes 10 bucks/hour bagging goods in a dept. store and her friends are making 300 credos a night banging Sugardaddy Slim, rust me the grass will appear greener and they will have a mutiny, abandon ship, and jump abpad the other vessel and sail the high Seas of Sex and Sluttery for a few dollars more......................................Not only oin poverty stricken naija, but in wealthy, well to do places as well. Poverty and desperation play a part, for some, but i am willing to bet you, if naija (africa) improved immensely, that would still be an issue. The money iis too alluring.............. :oops:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

guys its the nature of things in the country, and the situations that warrant such activity....people who encounter desperate times, will do desperate things.....Also, if there is no couseling to our young women, they will do it anyway. what of international prosties?????they make bank oohh(sleeping with bush,sadam,gates, sonny okosun,president of Capitol records and all these hot shots). again, counseling comes in,and if one does not train their sisters,friends,etc, and they get involved in such things expect the worse. like TALKIT said it happens everywhere. whether you walk the paved streets of geneva or london,or the dusty streets of chad or run down streets of new york/detroit, dem day........
It can be economically based, but also it can be a way of prestige. if a girl makes 10 bucks/hour bagging goods in a dept. store and her friends are making 300 credos a night banging Sugardaddy Slim, rust me the grass will appear greener and they will have a mutiny, abandon ship, and jump aboard the other vessel and sail the high Seas of Sex and Sluttery for a few dollars more......................................Not only oin poverty stricken naija, but in wealthy, well to do places as well. Poverty and desperation play a part, for some, but i am willing to bet you, if naija (africa) improved immensely, that would still be an issue. The money iis too alluring.............. :oops:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:New Year, same old Oga Ohsee :roll: . Where did I claim that MOST Naija women engage in prostitution? The facts are that significant numbers are involved in different forms of prostitution. MANY does not translate into MOST. The significant numbers involved suggest this has gone beyond just a “subculture”.

Ohsee, your New Year Resolution should be less books, more reality. Your theory that “large scale prostitution is the surest evidence that the typical Naija woman is not giving it up that easily” ignores two crucial factors:

1. A lot of men that patronise prostitutes do not do so because they can’t get action elsewhere – prostitutes provide a different kind of thrill. The fact you can get a decent meal at home, or can afford to eat at an upmarket restaurant, doesn’t mean you don’t fancy McDonalds once in a while :mrgreen: .

2. The article does not only talk about “career” prostitutes, it provides examples of university students and adolescents engaged in this activity. These people look like “typical Naija women” to me.

I’m not sure I get your point that the “poverty of the country dictates that it be a small number” engaged in this activity. All indications seem to be that poverty is driving larger numbers to the game.
CIC, merry new year and so on. Your resolution should be, more books (i.e., the educated experience of many others), less talking off the top of ya head based on your narrow and inconsequential experience.

As has been demographically demonstrated, the number of prostitutes in any particular area declines with the number of women "freely" giving it up. Does this not make "common" sense, the common sense that you go on about so much? That a tiny minority of men see prostitutes as a fetish does not refute that essential point.

University women and "office girls" who sell sex have always been around the cities of Nigeria.

I did not think you would get my point about poverty. Let me spell it out for you: as poverty increases, the number of men who can afford to pay for sex diminishes. Given that the demand for sex is relatively inelastic (those guys with money can only nak so much before their John Thomas's say "I surrenda."), it follows that the market will saturate very quickly, leading young women to seek their fortune elsewhere like 419ing, and perhaps even, may we say it, marriage.

Your post ignores one big point. This is just a newspaper article. Naija newpaper articles are not worth the paper they are printed on. On the other site, I gave you a scientifically rigorous study which demonstrated that Naija women are not nakking like that. You prefer newpaper crap to a carefully designed study that makes every effort to minimize error. All I can say is, na wa for you.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Oga Ohsee, this one na serious example of the after-effects of reading too many irrelevant books about sex.

Why have the number of prostitutes exploded at a time in which (by your own sexual revolution theories) sex is becoming even more freely available? Haven’t any of your books informed you about the attraction of prostitutes to many men? For a majority this has nothing to do with “fetishes”, but the attraction of sex with no strings and no hassle.

Yes, university women and “office girls” have always sold sex since the beginning of time. We are just saying that the numbers doing so in Naija have increased beyond most people’s imaginations.

Your poverty theory does not stand up to serious scrutiny or the reality of Naija. In the past, a loaded Naija married man would probably have one or two bits on the side. Now he most likely has 10-15. The girls who can’t hook up with the man, lower their standards and get with his brother, or the clerk at his office, or anyone with access to some of the man’s wealth. My friend who spent the last 3 months in Naija setting up a business, was passing women on to his Naija-based assistant because he wasn’t interested. He visits this forum occasionally and also thinks that you have no idea what is going in Nigeria when it comes to women.

Your “scientifically rigorous study” about Naija women was discredited when you presented it. It was clear that it covered illiterate village women, and of no relevance to the kind of people we are talking about. The thing is, a newspaper article backs up what I have said here - based on experience (I visit Nigeria on a regular basis). It backs up what my friends in Nigeria are telling me. And you are arguing that nothing has changed since you left Naija in 1945! This kain self denial pass me o!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:Oga Ohsee, this one na serious example of the after-effects of reading too many irrelevant books about sex.

Why have the number of prostitutes exploded at a time in which (by your own sexual revolution theories) sex is becoming even more freely available? Haven’t any of your books informed you about the attraction of prostitutes to many men? For a majority this has nothing to do with “fetishes”, but the attraction of sex with no strings and no hassle.

Yes, university women and “office girls” have always sold sex since the beginning of time. We are just saying that the numbers doing so in Naija have increased beyond most people’s imaginations.

Your poverty theory does not stand up to serious scrutiny or the reality of Naija. In the past, a loaded Naija married man would probably have one or two bits on the side. Now he most likely has 10-15. The girls who can’t hook up with the man, lower their standards and get with his brother, or the clerk at his office, or anyone with access to some of the man’s wealth. My friend who spent the last 3 months in Naija setting up a business, was passing women on to his Naija-based assistant because he wasn’t interested. He visits this forum occasionally and also thinks that you have no idea what is going in Nigeria when it comes to women.

Your “scientifically rigorous study” about Naija women was discredited when you presented it. It was clear that it covered illiterate village women, and of no relevance to the kind of people we are talking about. The thing is, a newspaper article backs up what I have said here - based on experience (I visit Nigeria on a regular basis). It backs up what my friends in Nigeria are telling me. And you are arguing that nothing has changed since you left Naija in 1945! This kain self denial pass me o!
Una don see what reading only the Guardian and depending on what the guys tell you about sex does to you? Your arguments begin to sound like Joe Average Yahoo's, even if you are a sharp guy like cic.

cic old boy,
The fact that guys are attracted to prostitutes because nookie with them involves little hassle is neither here nor there. Such a profound observation does not tell us what proportion of a particular populace patronizes prostitutes. It does not tell us the size of the increase in patronage if there is indeed an increase in size. It tells us nothing at all but the home truth that a subsection of the male populace prefers prostitutes.

That there has been an "explosion" of prostitution in Nigeria is again neither here nor there. What are the figures? What were the figures before the "explosion"? As I have said, before I left Nigeria in 1945 as you allege, people were making exactly the same claims you are making now. So how am I sure that this is not the same claim making a comeback, the same Naija guys engaging in typical guy talk and exaggerating?

Anyway, my point is not that prostitution has not grown in Nigeria--I am sure it has--my point is that the growth of prostitution reveals that the average Nigerian woman is not nakking like that. In a country that is allegedly poor, why pay if you can get it for free? This is only logical, and it is furthermore confirmed by direct experience--in the West, where figures are kept, it has been noted that the absolute number of prostitutes has declined steeply as moral restrictions about women enjoying sex freely have eroded. This point is further confirmed by the Tulane study which suggests strongly that the average Naija women is not nakking like that, and is in fact, nakking less than the women of the West.

And please don't make me laugh with your claims that you have "discredited" the study. I guess anyone nowadays can discredit a study just by claiming to have done so. That Tulane study was statistically representative of the areas it examined--it included urban as well as rural women, and women of all classes. If your only problem with the study is that it is unrepresentative, then the case is closed and you have lost. Anyone who read that study through will remember that it was based on rigorous stratified sampling--that is actually its strongest point.

However, I now know that you are the type of guy who relys on the irrefutable opinions of "my friend who spent the last 3 months in Naija setting up a business," and I can't argue with you since we are simply not operating on the same wavelength. I mean, would I argue with the someone who tells me, "I know that most niggras are criminals because my friend the policeman, who spent the last 3 months working downtown, arrests them all the time"?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Ohsee, you sabi debate in a circular manner, with no reference to points you originally made.

You claimed that men consorting with prostitutes is an indication of sex not being readily available. So I pointed out that the men who do so are also likely to be able to get sex elsewhere. You then tried to restrict this to the relatively small number driven by peculiar fetishes. So I was obliged to point out what appears to any streetwise person to be the obvious attraction of prostitutes.

Your lack of awareness of this is mildly surprising for someone so obviously interested in reading about sex. But I have seen several profiles of men that visit prostitutes and men arrested for kerb-crawling. All of which, backed up with anecdotal evidence, suggest that a majority of these men engage in this type of activity for the obvious reason that the sex doesn't come with the problems of dating.

If you want to find out for sure that promiscuity in Nigeria is not just guys talk, why not investigate for yourself and not rely on studies that sample village women? I have told you what I have seen with my own eyes, what people I know have experienced, newspapers have written about it, and still you refuse to accept that things have changed from your days in Nigeria!

You again expose the extent of your awareness of the issues with your statement: "in a country that is allegedly poor, why pay if you can get it for free". My point is that despite abject poverty in Nigeria, some people are doing relatively well. The majority who are desperately poor are resorting to desperate measures. It is affecting the attitudes of a lot of the women. They can no longer afford to do their hair unless some man pays for it. Women are aggressively targeting the men who can provide these basics - which in the past they (or their parents) could provide for themselves. You only have to spend some time in Naija to experience this yourself.

There is no need to rehash that study you posted a while ago. I pointed out at the time why it wasn't relevant to the points I was making.

To say I am just basing my arguments on my friend who spent 3 months in Nigeria, is a gross denial of all the evidence in front of your own eyes - from the newspaper article that started this thread to all the previous points I made.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Very sad sad and sad kaiii.... Not good....
Soldier of Fortune...