Daily update from the Faro camp

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Football Manager wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:I have got to dash guys, so cannot file my update until later this evening. However, I will say this. One player hyas told me he plans to go ton Faro on Dec 27. He has got a flight to London Heathrow for that day.

Now are any of you travel agents? If you are, please see if you can book a flight for December 27, in the afternoon or evening from London to Faro.

I am not at work, so cannot get it done via our official travel agency. Speak to you all later.
Is this a joke or you mean it? You can only book a flight for a player with a given name and if that player does not have a name you should not bring such message on this forum.
If you have details of a flight from London to Faro on the 27th, PM me and I will give you his name.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

Do you think my sports agency does things like that. That means every player that wants to fly we will book flight for them. O boy you must be very funny. So if that player happens to be Francis Kumbur then you will come online to write afterwards that Football Manager booked the flight for Francis Kumbur. If you are not interested to publish the name of the said player you should not make it open. You should rather PM everybody the information. You don't come up here to ask an information and wants someone to PM you in secret. That is a bad omen my fren.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Ayo for real, what is the big deal about a player looking for a flight that his/her name must be shrouded in secrecy...It's not like he is making any controversial comments. All this your espionage-like covert operation sef. Is that what does it for you?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

This Yujam Obodo shrining is reaching an inebriating level; come off it man! :D
...but with God all things are possible...
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Sometimes I wonder why we're such bad mangers in Naija; why camp wanabees and has-beens with few and very limited precious dollars? None of these players, only one or two of them, will make the team. Is this another CCC plot to kumburize the camp?
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

mister dolly wrote:
Gotti wrote:
mister dolly wrote:...honestly, this 42 player camp thing is a monumental waste of funds IMHO..
It is guaranteed that half of those in camp will not make the final squad....
MD:
It is "guaranteed" that half of a 42-person camp will not make a 22-man ANC squad?! Are you sure that you are not a rocket scientist?! :D

HAWKEYE (& MD):
The Eagles camped locally at Otta for the Mali ANC 2002 and still had monetary problems culminating in the cancellation of the scheduled friendly against Egypt, so please let's stop obfuscating about non-issues. Those who want the Eagles to camp in Nigeria have probably never seen the lobby of an Eagles hotel whenever they are in Nigeria -- or heard of area boys!
Gotti, I didn't realise that CCC has a special allowance from CAF to take 43 players (if you add Ogbeche) to Tunisia.. :D

I always knew arithmetic wasn't one of your strongest points.. :P ..okay make that "almost half".. :P
Arithmetic must be difficult; no wonder u thot ya company's kitting deal was better than adidas' :D :D .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I have just spoken to another of our boys in Faro. Here is the latest:

(1) Taribo West arrived in camp today
(2) Ike Shorunmu has told the NFA that he does not intend to show up
(3) Tijani Babangida will arrive on Sunday
(4) The team will train in Faro until January 11 when it shall depart for Tunisia
(5) It is looking likely that the English-based players, just like Obafemi Martins will actually meet up with the team in Tunisia
(6) A lot of our other European-based players are still in Nigeria and it is hoped that they will join up after Christmas
(7) Ifeanyi Ekwueme will join the camp on Saturday
(8) Training apparently is going well and is very rigorous
(9) From what I have gathered, the only real doubts are Shorunmu and Martins. Everyone else is almost 100% certain to arrive in camp.
(10) I will keep you posted about further developments, including arrivals and proposed friendlies.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

AYO, Nice one.

But i do not see the reason why Tijani Babaginda should be in that camp? Waste of space and fund.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Enyeama in goal will make me crap my pants. I see a lot of balls being picked up from our goal :oops: :oops:
mystic

Post by mystic »

Ayo:

With Ike being a no show, are there any moves afoot to bring in another goalie?

Murphy Akanji readily comes to mind and would be a good fit.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Thanks for the info Ayo
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

How did Ejide fare with Etiole during the CWC final?...Oh yeah, those pretenders Rangers hardly tested him enuff for us to judge.
Last edited by theYemster on Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mystic wrote:Ayo:

With Ike being a no show, are there any moves afoot to bring in another goalie?

Murphy Akanji readily comes to mind and would be a good fit.
Mystic, at the end of the day, it is down to Chukwu. There is nothing anyone else can do.

Apart from Murphy Akanji, Ndubuisi Egbo is also doing very well for SK Tirana at the moment and his team is top of the Albanian league. However, Chukwu does not watch them, has no idea of their form and is at a loss as per their situation.

CCC currently has Etafia, Enyeama, Okoye and Rotimi in camp and Ejide is due to join them next week. He probably thinks that this is good enough but I for one do not.

I would call up Murphy immediately but if Chukwu does not, of the keepers in camp, I would pick them in this order:

Etafia
Ejide
Enyeama

Left to me, with Shorunmu retiring, the numbers one, two and three should be Akanji, Egbo and Etafia but I would have pressed Shorunmu to hang around for the ANC at least. In goalkeeping, experience is key and irreplacable.

No matter how talented they are, home-based goalkeepers would be a no- no in my team but alas, I do not pick the team.
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

Ayo, based on experience, looks like Enyeama is the man between the posts, unless the others can displace him with excellent performance in camp
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

Ayo good job with the reporting but dilute the anti CCC opinionating. How do you assume he has not checked on Akanji and Egbo.

Personally, I thought Akanji was all fizzaz and no substance in the ANC 3rd place games. In the absence of Ike, I'm content with the 5 we have in camp.
azuka

Post by azuka »

Ayo, BTW any hint of CW stopping by. Something tells me CW will hit Faro to help out. Remember CCC and Bewarang were all his crew. And add to that Eguavoen. Let's wait and see
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Ayo Akinfe, nice job. Thanks for the updates. 8)
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

This man, you don already pass 100 posts. You no dey sleep? :o

Robbynice wrote:Ayo Akinfe, nice job. Thanks for the updates. 8)
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

I have decided to report on the status of things in the Faro camp, since I am constantly in touch with CCC. Please bear with me as things come in ...

Eze, are you sure they are in Faro? I am sure I saw CCC at Mama Calabar yesterday, and on top of that I saw Garba Lawal, he waved at me but refused to come and shake my hand.

Heh heh heh, look you yeye Ayo, dem dey Portugal, and CCC is the coach. You must have been out drinking with Robson, because the man never get job.

Well at least I know that Kanu will start in the ANC. As a season ticket holder, I am privy to many things ... Arsenal will not miss the services of Kanu, we are going to win the premiership, Wenger will be Knighted, then we will resign Kanu, I'll put in a word for him at the supporters club meeting, and ...

Resign OR Re-sign? Which one?

Gotti, I said Re-sign!

Waffi, without prejudice, your diminutive medulla-oblongata, is filled with diminutive ideas that diminish, the credibility of your utterances. You are out of your depth. To assume you have insight on who will start, and who will resign and be re-signed is a bit reaching. I won't comment on the Knighting bit, besides the Queen just lost her Corgi, so I wouldn't let her bring a sword near my head.

Heh heh heh, Gotti, these English based boys dey craze. Dem tink say Arsenal or Leeds season ticket nah certificate. Dem tink say that season ticket nah PhD certificate in footballology. What is scary is that some of them dey call CCC.

CMS, who are you? No be you dey coach small pikin? I would like to tell you that a Premiership season ticket is a certificate.

I concur. And hey look guys both Robson and Peter Reid are unemployed!!!

Heh heh heh, Eze we go get real wahala if these people dey advise Chukwu.

Yeah I know, I go tell Chukwu now now to make sure he uses caller-id ...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ghost wrote:Ayo good job with the reporting but dilute the anti CCC opinionating. How do you assume he has not checked on Akanji and Egbo.

Personally, I thought Akanji was all fizzaz and no substance in the ANC 3rd place games. In the absence of Ike, I'm content with the 5 we have in camp.
When it comes to goalkeeping, experience is the key. Nopne of the current five goalies in camp have the experience and technical know-how to man goal in Tunisia. Of the five of them, Greg Etafia is probably the most exposed in terms of technical know-how but I would want the security of an old head like Akanji or Egbo.

This has nothing to do with CCC. Goalkeeping is not for the inexperienced!

Ypu maybe satisfied with the five already in camp but that I am afraid is not good enough. Can all these home-based keepers read disguised passes, anticipate clever runs and come off their lines in time to sweep?

Please, pleas, please. Stop this. Na real JJC talk.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Ayo,

Kudos and well done with your fantastic coverage and efforts on the daily reporting from Faro....

Greg Etafia, I do not know because he was erratic and useless in Sydney 2000 and should have been banned from the SE. I just hope he as improved since then and knows how to control his box, make timely decisions and many more....

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Ghost wrote:Ayo good job with the reporting but dilute the anti CCC opinionating. How do you assume he has not checked on Akanji and Egbo.

When it comes to goalkeeping, experience is the key. Nopne of the current five goalies in camp have the experience and technical know-how to man goal in Tunisia. Of the five of them, Greg Etafia is probably the most exposed in terms of technical know-how but I would want the security of an old head like Akanji or Egbo.

This has nothing to do with CCC. Goalkeeping is not for the inexperienced!

Ypu maybe satisfied with the five already in camp but that I am afraid is not good enough. Can all these home-based keepers read disguised passes, anticipate clever runs and come off their lines in time to sweep?

Please, pleas, please. Stop this. Na real JJC talk.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

A mini-Xmas party being put together by the Nigerian Embassy will hold in the camp later today. Most of the players are looking forward to it from what I gather.

But more importantly, having spoken to a few of the boys, the common thread i get is that they are unhappy that a squad has not been named so that serious work can begin.

In the words of one of them
"Other countries have named their teams and we are still secreening"

This does not look good. There is also a bit of unhappiness--nothing serious, really--about the late arrivals. The complain is that except for the England-based players, most of the others are in Nigeria and have no business being there when they should be in camp.

Now can I go and enjoy my Xmas in peace :D :D :D :D

Not to worry, sha. I will be back later in the day with some more gists :lol: :lol:
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Kanu can't enjoy it since he is still in England and Arsenal has no party for X'mas... :(