CARLING CUP: ARSENAL 2, NEWCASTLE 0 (FT)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Waffiman wrote:Bendtner header breaks deadlock

Rob Smyth at the Emirates Stadium
Wednesday September 26, 2007
The Guardian

There are a new set of bullies in English football's playground. They are significantly younger than the victims, they deal in alternative, subtler methods, and they are devastatingly good at inflicting physical and psychological damage.
They were at it again at the Emirates Stadium last night. For those who envisaged a closing of the gap between the top four and the rest in the Premiership this season, it was a chastening experience. An Arsenal side containing only three of the side that trounced Derby County at the weekend, and with no players over 24, completely outclassed a strong Newcastle United team

Sam Allardyce's side were subjected to death by silk, passed to bits in a performance of increasing majesty. Though Arsenal did not strike until the final 10 minutes, when Nicklas Bendtner and Denilson scored their first goals for the club, they handled the match with an ease that bordered on contempt. The phrase "men against boys" is in serious danger of becoming archaic.
"For me, all of them could play in the first team on a regular basis," said Arsène Wenger. "We have a small group but of very good quality - and very young."

If there was a superiority complex in the air before, during and after the game, it was entirely understandable given Arsenal's start to the season. Even the way the PA announces the home team - first names only - showed that they do things a bit differently in these parts. The players are certainly on first-name terms with the ball, and slowly they made that familiarity count.

"In the first half Newcastle defended well," said Wenger. "But slowly we took over and in the second half it was all us. We should have scored many times and didn't, but we didn't rush forward and get caught on the counter-attack. We were good and intelligent, and I like that."

They were also, as ever, especially easy on the eye, and both of their goals were belters. In the 83rd minute Bendtner, who swaggered through the latter part of the game and showed some wonderfully deft touches, rose majestically to thump the outstanding Armand Traoré's cross past Shay Given. "Bendtner was top quality," said Wenger. "His presence in the game was great."

As was the match-clinching goal in the final minute, slashed thrillingly into the far corner from the edge of the box by the Brazilian Denilson. "You accused us of overplaying and short-passing - now we score headers and long-distance goals," smiled Wenger. The new ruthlessness has clearly been passed down to Arsenal's youngsters.

They can handle themselves, too: the impressive Lassana Diarra, on his full debut, marked his central-midfield turf with some strong early challenges and ruled the roost thereafter, ensuring that Newcastle never had a spell of sustained possession.

In isolated bursts of attacking the visitors did manage to create three great chances for Obafemi Martins, but all were squandered. The best came in between Arsenal's goals when he went round Lukasz Fabianski but scuffed his shot sufficiently for Philippe Senderos to clear.

"Oba could be sat here with the match ball," said Allardyce. "That leaves us a bit disappointed, but we're more disappointed with being forced to play the game tonight after playing on Sunday. What we got was a fatigued set of players. As good as Arsenal were, we ran out of legs and they finally capitalised on that."

Even if Newcastle had been able to run, they would have learned sooner rather than later that, against this side, there is no place to hide.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Thunder on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

Waffiman wrote: Though Arsenal did not strike until the final 10 minutes, when Nicklas Bendtner and Denilson scored their first goals for the club, they handled the match with an ease that bordered on contempt. The phrase "men against boys" is in serious danger of becoming archaic.

Rob Smyth at the Emirates Stadium
Wednesday September 26, 2007
The Guardian

This is why, I know that it must be ....

.... Arsenal for life ! :D
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

CMS wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:Arsenal: Fabianski, Justin Hoyte, Eboue (Diaby 64), Senderos, Traore, Diarra, Denilson, Song Billong, Walcott, Bendtner, Eduardo (Perez 90).
Subs Not Used: Mannone, Lansbury, Gavin Hoyte.

Goals: Bendtner 83, Denilson 89.
Lastly, looking at the above list , They are mostly the first team players contrary to reports that it was the reserve youth team or something like that.
My God, you are ignorant. If everybody on the Arsenal roster is fit, NONE of these guys get a starting jersey. Not a single one. The depths to which you stoop are just amazing...... :roll: :roll:
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

maceo4 wrote:Martins seems like he don't give a eff no more. Just one simple miss after another lolol
You dey blame him? Fuuck Big Sam , Fuuck Newcastle!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

ZT,

Na waa for you oh what CMS is saying is this guys are starters regardless of whether they come off the bench or not. This is the first time in years that Arsenal has so much depth that Wenger barring any injury can call up any player at anytime to come and play. The problem Arsenal has had in the past was player depth. Henry is still getting a lot of abuse from Arsenal fans today because of his move to Barca and everyone saying you don't need him anymore but there was a time when he had to play games like this because either Wenger was too stingy to use his rotation properly or stingy to know there are a lot of games to play in during the course of the season.

This players who played against Newcastle have the ability to start any match for Arsenal regardless of what type of cup competition they are playing. Calling them reserves just because they don't get to play often is the reason why you guys struggle when your top player gets injured. Depth is the key to any team that wants to win something this season. This guys are worthy starters also when the time comes.

Ziontrain wrote:
CMS wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:Arsenal: Fabianski, Justin Hoyte, Eboue (Diaby 64), Senderos, Traore, Diarra, Denilson, Song Billong, Walcott, Bendtner, Eduardo (Perez 90).

Lastly, looking at the above list , They are mostly the first team players contrary to reports that it was the reserve youth team or something like that.
My God, you are ignorant. If everybody on the Arsenal roster is fit, NONE of these guys get a starting jersey. Not a single one. The depths to which you stoop are just amazing...... :roll: :roll:
Soldier of Fortune...
CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by CMS »

Ziontrain wrote:
CMS wrote:

Hell no! :shock: :evil: Who dey chop let the dog in so tey dog, too dey wag tail? A freaking moronic angel* ignoramus like yourself who's not even better than an autobahn roadkill Agama insularis too come put mouth. If I hear pim from you again you go find out. :evil:
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
:lol:
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Waffiman wrote:
MoM Diarra, Chelski will forever be hunted by Arsenal for losing this player, for me, he will be replacing Flamini in the middle of the park and not even Gilberto will get the shirt off him. He was soo good, his performance was a damning indictment of Mourinho football. Diarra revelled in the opportunity given to be a baller and he was stupendously good.

Song was far better than Senderos, who made up for a shaky performance with the goal line clearance. It did not take away the fact that Song was outstanding. With Diarra and Song performing so well, I really fear for Gilberto. He will wish he never spoke to Valencia and Juve to get Wenger peeved with him.

Traore, Bentner, Denilson and Eduardo were also brilliant too but Eduardo made it all happen up front because he was the link between midfield and attack. Without him Arsenal were never going to win this game.
Waffi,

The best value I've had from £10 this millenium. Absolutely fantastic.

That ya summary, if na exam, dem for withold ya result say you don see paper beforehand (Jamb stylee :lol: :lol: )

That Diarra has really gone up in my estimation. Never knew he could ball like that...how daft are the newcastle midfield tho? Same "drop shoulder and turn inside in one movement" trick chop a premiership midfield about 8 times in one night?

Diarra, wo-o-o-oh
Diarra, wo-o-o-oh
He left the chelski scum
Cos Ashley wants his bum

As for Song, I will start defending him now whenever I see gooners having a go at him. Simply majestic. Anyone just arriving from mars yesterday for think say na him be established CB and Sendy be makeshift.

Fabianski just dey pluck crosses like guava. All the crosses wey Aluminium and Jens don make us believe say na hot akara? I bow o!

Traore, Denilson, Eduardo and Eboue were awesome too. Bendtner was a bit too casual early on imo.

PS - We dey Coko's for over an hour b4 kickoff, and were there for hours after derby game on sat (until gulder & star run out). Coko's and tombo gooner analysis is back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't miss the next episode!

Q
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

MI5 wrote:The players who played against Newcastle have the ability to start any match for Arsenal
Yeah, that's if the whole of the first team squad is wiped out by Avian Flu.

All the players highligted by Ojafranpa are fringe players - when last did Traorre smell the bench, let alone get on the field of play??? What about Hoyte, when last was he in an Arsenal 16 man squad??? Song, nko????

You guys should just stop hating, and give credit where it is due. Haba!
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
akidi
Egg
Egg

Post by akidi »

Gunners for Life!!!!!!!!!!!
GUNNAS 4 LIFE BBBAAABBBYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We thought Obasi was the best player to play and that was the reason. I thought he did a very good first half but he got tired in the second half but he lived up to the expectation I had on him," Lagerback explaining why he started Obasi over Osaze...

Ol boy, Lagerbagger is suffering from acute malaria oooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

So you mean Song played at CB and out performed Senderos?

When I saw the lineup I was wondering who partnered Senderos...I figured between Hoyte and Eboue with the other playing RB and Walcott playing RM.

I already saw a glimpse of what Diarra could do against Derby.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

theYemster wrote:So you mean Song played at CB and out performed Senderos?
When I saw the lineup I was wondering who partnered Senderos...I figured between Hoyte and Eboue with the other playing RB and Walcott playing RM.

My man,
The thing shock me. Unbelievable perf by Song, yes he was out of position a few times but because he's so quick, he recovered. And he gobbled up everything in the air...the times Martins entered us, it was due to Sendy not him (although Sendy's goal line clearance was a match saving one)

When Prof used to say "I have Song who can play CB as well" I used to laugh but will start taking the man seriously even if he says he wants to play Walcott in goal.

....good news is, if we have a CB crisis, we have enough people that can "do a job" for a few games.

Is being quick the main requirement for a CB in the modern game? How guys like Micah Richards and Song have slotted in have amazed me.

PS - That Martins is not as good as all the yanga wey him dey make for SE. Grags too much without adequate poise when required.

Q
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

quickie wrote: PS - That Martins is not as good as all the yanga wey him dey make for SE. Grags too much without adequate poise when required.

Q
I could've told you that last year....wait a sec, I did.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Just to prove we're not making up stories about Alex Song (and I'm still in shock)......

Alex 'Proved me wrong' Song / Bert Off
26 Sep 2007 - By Mean Lean

Good morning all,

What a lovely and tasty win last night. Our fringe and young players are looking very much like our first team. Everyone played well and should be proud of themselves. I was very impressed with Diarra. I can't believe that he wasn't played more often at Chelsea. Mark my words, he will be a fantastic player for us, 2 Million? Oh Chelsea you really are mugs aren't you?!

Hats off to Alex Song who had a storming match at center half. He really did not put a foot wrong for the whole game. I think that has to be his position. He is not talented or quick enough to play in the middle of midfield.

Does anyone else think that Armand 'Knuckle Duster' Traore could be converted into the natural attacking winger that we have been missing? He seems alot more consistent as an attacker than Walcott is in my book of books. His cross for Bendtner's header was right out of the top draw next to the socks.

I was so impressed with Diarra's performance that i will have to write an article about him and his debut later on at some point.

Gilberto is saying that he may not extent his contract with us which probably means that he won't.

"I'm not sure whether I will re-sign when my contract runs out in 18 months time.

"I know there has been interest from Valencia and Juventus. We will see but I still have an ambition to win the Champions League with Arsenal."

I wouldn't be suprised if Arsene wants to let him go. Just as he did with Campbell, Pires and Lauren. Gilberto is slowing down, getting older. He has a very good tactical brain and has great experience. But the likes of Diarra and Diaby will have to play.

I am in need of some late breakfast so I am off as an egg sandwich is screaming my name,

Until tomorrow.

http://www.arsenalvision.co.uk/myvision ... icleid=251

Q
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

'Arsene knows' :lol: :lol: :lol: some of us wondered why Djourou was loaned to Birmingham. Now we got our answers.
quickie wrote:
theYemster wrote:So you mean Song played at CB and out performed Senderos?

My man,
The thing shock me. Unbelievable perf by Song, yes he was out of position a few times but because he's so quick, he recovered. And he gobbled up everything in the air...the times Martins entered us, it was due to Sendy not him (although Sendy's goal line clearance was a match saving one)

When Prof used to say "I have Song who can play CB as well" I used to laugh but will start taking the man seriously even if he says he wants to play Walcott in goal.

....good news is, if we have a CB crisis, we have enough people that can "do a job" for a few games.

Is being quick the main requirement for a CB in the modern game? How guys like Micah Richards and Song have slotted in have amazed me.

PS - That Martins is not as good as all the yanga wey him dey make for SE. Grags too much without adequate poise when required.

Q
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

MI5 wrote:Na waa for you oh what CMS is saying is this guys are starters regardless of whether they come off the bench or not. This ....Calling them reserves just because they don't get to play often is the reason why you guys struggle when your top player gets injured. .....guys are worthy starters also when the time comes.
No, na wa for you both.

This is the same CMS who:
- flat out insulted me in the Diarra transfer thread, tellling me the guy is a scrub who couldnt make it at Chelsea and he wont be able to start at Arsenal either!!

- The same CMS who always insults Walcott, saying that the guy is a waste of £12MM.
- When we say Song will come good, he says we are delusional.
- Senderos he says will never make it.
- Eduardo is supposedly the new Francis Jeffers, he said and Wenger is a miser
- Bendtner he said why are we kidding ourselves to expect anytting from this kid to save us

Now when it suits your purpose CMS (and you in the Comical Ali role) now suddenly claim Diarra and co "are starters regardless of whether they come off the bench or not"? Talk about twisting yourself in a mile-long string of hypocrisy. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah, these boys are balling - and you all are scrambling to recover face after insulting Wenger for years and calling him a "miser". Eat the humble pie and have a helping of sour cream.
quickie wrote: I wouldn't be suprised if Arsene wants to let him go. Just as he did with Campbell, Pires and Lauren. Gilberto is slowing down, getting older. He has a very good tactical brain and has great experience. But the likes of Diarra and Diaby will have to play.
Gilbert is not the same as those guys. His game has never depended on speed at all - and in any case I dont see any evidence of him slowing down. Plus when it comes to defensive set plays, Diarra and Flamini are midgets, while Diaby is not yet strong enough. You dont just discard a 6'3" guy, who is your best set play defender, like toilet paper.

We still need Gilberto. He has seen it all, won the world cup as a starter and everything, which even Henry hasnt - he was a sub who didnt even play when France had it on the line in '98. Its good to have a fast start with kids leading , BUT we aint gonna get to the promised land without an experienced guide to lead the way. Gallas and Toure cannot do this alone.

Gilberto will be the true test of whether Wenger and the board really want to invest in this team as they are saying in the press. I am not talking about BUYING new players, I am talking about swallowing Gilberto's salary, giving him a raise/extention AND forgoing the £8-10MM in cash he can bring in if transferred. That is an investment that takes some balls and we need to do it. Instead get rid of Senderos. There is nothing Senderos offers that Djourou and Song do not. I'd sacrifice Senderos instead in order to keep Gilberto's experience, skill and leadership. It is what Fergie did with Scholes and Giggs - and you can see he reaped many fold from that. Sometimes you gotta to invest with intuition as your guide, not a calculator or an oxygen consumption rate test.
Last edited by Ziontrain on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Its amazing what Prof can do with players,i never ever in my estimation imagine that Song playing in the heart of defence.Prof Wenger respect for life.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Between where is Coach.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

ojafranpa wrote:Between where is Coach.
Did you mean "BTW"? Anyway Coach is still in awe of the soccer artistry that was displayed at the Emirates by the boys yesterday. I can't wait for him to coach here and give his opinion of the match and of course for Player to KPOM it. :P :twisted:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

quickie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
MoM Diarra, Chelski will forever be hunted by Arsenal for losing this player, for me, he will be replacing Flamini in the middle of the park and not even Gilberto will get the shirt off him. He was soo good, his performance was a damning indictment of Mourinho football. Diarra revelled in the opportunity given to be a baller and he was stupendously good.

Song was far better than Senderos, who made up for a shaky performance with the goal line clearance. It did not take away the fact that Song was outstanding. With Diarra and Song performing so well, I really fear for Gilberto. He will wish he never spoke to Valencia and Juve to get Wenger peeved with him.

Traore, Bentner, Denilson and Eduardo were also brilliant too but Eduardo made it all happen up front because he was the link between midfield and attack. Without him Arsenal were never going to win this game.
Waffi,

The best value I've had from £10 this millenium. Absolutely fantastic.

That ya summary, if na exam, dem for withold ya result say you don see paper beforehand (Jamb stylee :lol: :lol: )

That Diarra has really gone up in my estimation. Never knew he could ball like that...how daft are the newcastle midfield tho? Same "drop shoulder and turn inside in one movement" trick chop a premiership midfield about 8 times in one night?

Diarra, wo-o-o-oh
Diarra, wo-o-o-oh
He left the chelski scum
Cos Ashley wants his bum

As for Song, I will start defending him now whenever I see gooners having a go at him. Simply majestic. Anyone just arriving from mars yesterday for think say na him be established CB and Sendy be makeshift.

Fabianski just dey pluck crosses like guava. All the crosses wey Aluminium and Jens don make us believe say na hot akara? I bow o!

Traore, Denilson, Eduardo and Eboue were awesome too. Bendtner was a bit too casual early on imo.

PS - We dey Coko's for over an hour b4 kickoff, and were there for hours after derby game on sat (until gulder & star run out). Coko's and tombo gooner analysis is back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't miss the next episode!

Q
I been go Cocos after game yesterday. I dey there till 11:30. I nor been sabi say una go dey there Saturday after game, man dey for Arsenal Tavern dey shak.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Ziontrain wrote:
quickie wrote: I wouldn't be suprised if Arsene wants to let him go. Just as he did with Campbell, Pires and Lauren. Gilberto is slowing down, getting older. He has a very good tactical brain and has great experience. But the likes of Diarra and Diaby will have to play.
Gilbert is not the same as those guys.
Zion,
Please correct that post. Quickie DID NOT say that. Quickie only posted what he saw written by Mean Lean in
http://www.arsenalvision.co.uk/myvision ... icleid=251

I am of the opinion (more of hope now) that Gilberto still has a lot to offer us in the next 18months. We have seen last season that he's a man to have in the team when all is going to pot. Invaluable!

Q
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Robbynice wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:Between where is Coach.
Did you mean "BTW"? Anyway Coach is still in awe of the soccer artistry that was displayed at the Emirates by the boys yesterday. I can't wait for him to coach here and give his opinion of the match and of course for Player to KPOM it. :P :twisted:
It's not easy to be wrong after subjecting us to all that grammar. :lol:

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯