WHO IS CAPE VERDE ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

JACKAL
Egg
Egg
WHO IS CAPE VERDE ?

Post by JACKAL »

wikipedia...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Verde ... tball_team

The Cape Verde national football team, nicknamed either the Tubarões Azuis (Blue Sharks) or Crioulos (Creoles), is the national team of Cape Verde and is controlled by the Federação Caboverdiana de Futebol.

History

Overview

The Cape Verde Islands became independent from Portugal in 1975. The national team's first international was a 0–3 defeat to Guinea-Bissau in the 1979 Amilcar Cabral Cup.[2] Cape Verde's football association was formed in 1982, and joined FIFA in 1986.[3]

Cape Verdeans abroad, who are more numerous than the population of the islands themselves, are a major source of players for the national team. Most of Cape Verde's current international footballers play outside of Cape Verde (mainly in Europe, but also in Asia), and some were born outside of the islands.[4]

Several players of Cape Verdean origin have chosen to play for other national teams. These include Eliseu, Nani, Manuel Fernandes, Rolando, Nélson Marcos, and Silvestre Varela, who all represent Portugal, as well as Mickaël Tavares, Jacques and Ricardo Faty (Senegal), Patrick Vieira (France), Gelson Fernandes (Switzerland), Henrik Larsson (Sweden), David Mendes da Silva (Netherlands) and Rui (Equatorial Guinea), among other examples.

World Cup and African Nations Cup qualifiers

Cape Verde has never qualified for the FIFA World Cup but have qualified for the 2013 African Cup of Nations. Its first World Cup qualifying campaign was the 2002 World Cup qualifiers, in which Cape Verde was eliminated in the first round after one draw and one defeat against Algeria.[5]

In the qualification campaign for the 2006 World Cup and the 2006 African Nations Cup, Cape Verde advanced to the Final Round after its first victory in a World Cup qualifier, beating Swaziland. In the Final Round, the team made an impression with its first ever away victory against Burkina Faso, but finished fifth in its group and failed to qualify for either finals.[5]

New coach João de Deus from Portugal brought in several new players from European leagues for the 2010 World Cup/2010 African Nations Cup qualifiers.[4] Cape Verde finished second in its group in the Second Round, ahead of Tanzania and Mauritius, but behind Cameroon, and did not advance to the Third Round. Cape Verde's top goalscorer of the qualifying campaign was Dady.

Then, finally, Cape Verde qualified for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, after stunningly defeating Cameroon 3-2 on aggregate.

2013 Africa Cup of Nations

On 14 October 2012, Cape Verde managed to secure their first ever berth in the Finals of the Africa Cup of Nations, when they defeated Cameroon 3-2 on aggregate score, following a 2-1 defeat to Cameroon at the Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo in Yaoundé, having won the home leg 2-0 in Praia just weeks prior to their qualification. They will travel to South Africa in January, to participate in the group stage, placing themselves amongst the final 16 participating nations of the tournament.[6][7][8]

On 24 October 2012, Cape Verde were drawn into Group A of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, alongside Angola, Morocco and the host nation South Africa. Furthermore, Cape Verde are playing the opening match of the tournament at Soccer City in Johannesburg, Gauteng against South Africa on 19 January 2013. Soccer City being the host venue for the 2010 World Cup Final. Pulled from the fourth pot during the group stage drawing of the tournament, Cape Verde actually had the highest FIFA ranking of any team in their group at the time of the drawing, ranking at 51st overall, followed by Morocco (71st), South Africa (72nd) and Angola (83rd). Cape Verde also had the 10th highest FIFA ranking in the CAF zone at the time of the drawing as well.

Other tournaments and notable matches

Cape Verde has two titles: It hosted and won the Amilcar Cabral Cup in 2000, and won the gold medal in the football tournament at the 2009 Lusophony Games. The team also won a bronze medal at the 2006 Lusophony Games.

For the first time in its history, on 2 November 2002, it faced a non-African team, Luxembourg, in a friendly, resulting in a scoreless draw. On September 4, 2009, it faced Malta in a friendly, resulting in an 2–0 victory. On 24 May 2010 Cape Verde played out a 0–0 draw in a friendly match against a full-strength Portugal.[9] At the time, Portugal was third in the FIFA rankings and Cape Verde were 117th.[10]
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: WHO IS CAPE VERDE ?

Post by joao »

I observed that Cape Verdean players are more composed on the ball than the SE, and also have better team focus.
To me they are better than 'Cinderella' Ethiopia.
The only way SE will beat these guys is via 'Jambodi'.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

They're obviously very well drilled. What they lack in outstanding talent they make up for in organization, that's the name of the game.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

They have talent Mr Puff.
To say otherwise is to admit the SE don't have talent. What the coach did with the talent at his disposition is having them play as a team. The SE are very jagged, and the team focus is not there yet. In short the SE lacks cohesion and a collective sense of purpose.
Even Morocco had to step up it's game to contain the Cape Verde team play. I hope you watched the game, and if you did how does the SE compare as a team?
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

I remember Ghana beating CV 4-1 to qualify for her first world cup
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

The more I see teams like Cape Verde, Zambia etc doing the business the more I wonder how on earth is our so called FB players are better than our HB players.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

kolinzo wrote:The more I see teams like Cape Verde, Zambia etc doing the business the more I wonder how on earth is our so called FB players are better than our HB players.
I would not use the word quality here.
HB players are not spoilt from money, they are motivated and hungry what the millionaires of Ivory Coast and Nigeria etc. are no longer.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

joao wrote:They have talent Mr Puff.
To say otherwise is to admit the SE don't have talent. What the coach did with the talent at his disposition is having them play as a team. The SE are very jagged, and the team focus is not there yet. In short the SE lacks cohesion and a collective sense of purpose.
Even Morocco had to step up it's game to contain the Cape Verde team play. I hope you watched the game, and if you did how does the SE compare as a team?
I said they lack outstanding talent not that they don't have any talent. Afterall they are professionals.
vosah

Post by vosah »

a country that produced the likes of Nani and Evra definitely have a good talent pool...and the fact that most if not all of their players have a strong exposure to the Portuguese leagues and academy makes it relatively easy for them to churn out a decent proportion of talented players...so lets not get carried away by their football pedigree or population.
vosah

Post by vosah »

Rawlings wrote:I remember Ghana beating CV 4-1 to qualify for her first world cup
and Saudi Arabia once raped almighty Ghana...times change buddy.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

All I know is Cape Verde is the small team Keshi couldn't beat.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

vosah wrote:a country that produced the likes of Nani and Evra definitely have a good talent pool...and the fact that most if not all of their players have a strong exposure to the Portuguese leagues and academy makes it relatively easy for them to churn out a decent proportion of talented players...so lets not get carried away by their football pedigree or population.
Evra is Senegalese, not Cape Verdian.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

1naija wrote:All I know is Cape Verde is the small team Keshi couldn't beat.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
vosah

Post by vosah »

if you watched that team today against a quality Moroccan side,you will know why you just said the dumbest thing ever...and check your history Nigeria has always struggled against supposedly weak oppositions,even with our golden generation.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

vosah wrote:
if you watched that team today against a quality Moroccan side,you will know why you just said the dumbest thing ever...and check your history Nigeria has always struggled against supposedly weak oppositions,even with our golden generation.
He was being sarcastic (I think).

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I don't understand all these comments or supposedly SUPERIOR quality of CAPE VERDE (CV) over other teams. Ok, Cape Verde is doing so well so far and; therefore? As must as I am concerned, CV was lucky to have no lost today to Morocco and indeed, I do not think they will make it out of their group - granted they have given a good account of themselves.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Riversboy wrote:

RB.
That old man no dey gree.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

vosah wrote:

Quality and Maroc in the same sentence? Are you high? Maroc is as useless as they come. I wont be surprised if they fail to get out of this group. As for CV, they are punching above their weight but like Ethiopia, water will soon find it's level. Its only a matter of time both teams get beaten like they stole electronics at Alaba market.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
vosah wrote:a country that produced the likes of Nani and Evra definitely have a good talent pool...and the fact that most if not all of their players have a strong exposure to the Portuguese leagues and academy makes it relatively easy for them to churn out a decent proportion of talented players...so lets not get carried away by their football pedigree or population.
he's probably thinking of Henrik Larsen, ex Barca, Celtic, brief United stint

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Cape Verde is strong because of its diaspora!

Players playing in Portugal etc.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Both Patrice Evra and Patrick Viera were eligible to play for Cape Verde! Although they are widely known as being of Senegalese descent, both of their mothers are from Cape Verde!
Last edited by Tbite on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...small team is 11 v 11. What u need is what's on top (mental fortitude, focus, and great awareness).

If 'I' a small team have them and 'you' a big team doesn't, i'll definitely beat yah :thumb:
KB
Egg
Egg

Post by KB »

mcal wrote:
...small team is 11 v 11. What u need is what's on top (mental fortitude, focus, and great awareness).

If 'I' a small team have them and 'you' a big team doesn't, i'll definitely beat yah :thumb:
KPOM!
The more widely Christianity was diffused, and the greater the number of people unprepared for it who were brought under its sway, the less it was understood, the more absolutely was its infallibility insisted on, and the less possible it became to understand the true meaning of the doctrine. Leo Tolstoy, 'The Kingdom of God is within you', Chap 3