GARBA LAWAL'S AMAZING STORY

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
GARBA LAWAL'S AMAZING STORY

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

http://odili.net/news/source/2013/may/3/509.html

Whaooo!!!! I love the guy even more after reading his story. He never had a girl until he got to tunisia. :shock: :shock: :shock: NFF needs to have a award named after him. what a patriot, a hard worker and a humble man. I encourage you to read his story.
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: GARBA LAWAL'S AMAZING STORY

Garba Lawal: Armed robbers forced me into retirement
By ROMANUS UGWU, Abuja

Garba Lawal may not certainly be in the category of Austin Jay Jay Okocha or Nwankwo Kanu in the perking order and showmanship, but he is obviously a household name in Nigerian football.

With discipline, simplicity, sincerity and hard work as his unique selling points, 'Chindo', as his friends fondly call him, carved a niche for himself in the Nigerian League as well as in the junior and senior national teams.

His professional career, which spanned many years and took him to different parts of the world, is also worthy of note.

Talking to TS Weekend in Abuja recently, the Kaduna State-born former Super Eagles' utility player went behind the curtain of his life and revealed how he resigned from a banking job to sign for his dream childhood club, Julius Berger FC of Lagos.

He also revealed why he did not marry four wives as a Muslim and how his natural hatred for foreign girls shaped his marriage life. The Nigerian former international equally made a shocking revelation of how an armed robbery attack at his home in Kaduna did not only crippled him financially, but also ended his career with a Chinese club abruptly.

He did not disappoint in providing answers to how he met his wife, why he never lived an ostentatious lifestyle like some of his teammates, how life has been in retirement and his indecision on whether to settle down as a football administrator or as a coach.

Above all, Lawal stated his opinion on the ongoing rift between the football federation and Super Eagles' Head Coach, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi. It's your weekend delight! Enjoy Lawal at his best.

In the beginning

I started my football career with a youth team, the Shooting Stars of Ade. There, I was under the same coach that brought up players like Rashidi Yekini, Tijani Babangida, Haruna Babangida and Menase Ishaka among others.

When I left the club after three years, I joined the Nigeria Universal Bank (NUB) Football Club and played for the club from 1989 to 1991. That time, my monthly salary was N50. Up he goes My career took the upward turn from the point we played a Challenge Cup match against the Ranchers Bees of Kaduna.

I scored the only goal of that match with a header and the victory gave us a ticket to play in the national preliminary game of what is now called the Confederation Cup. During the tournament in Akure in 1991, my team (NUB) finished third among others like 3SC of Ibadan, Shagari United of Sokoto, Mobil Pengasan and Plateau United. We would have done better but for inexperience.

However, I was the highest scorer in that tournament with six goals and interestingly, renowned coaches like Fanny Amun, Tunde Disu and others were all on ground to monitor proceedings. So, from that point, I became a hot cake sort of. Clubs like 3SC, Julius Berger, ACB and Plateau United wanted my signature badly to play for them.

Their various scouts were after me right from Akure, the venue of the tournament. Although Jossy Lad was bent on having me at 3SC, I preferred playing for Julius Berger. So, I had to travel from Kaduna to Lagos at night with Mr Abdulrasheed Ekulekule, an official of Julius Berger, to sign for the club.

Taribo West scared me When I arrived at the Berger camp, I was intimidated by the calibre of players I met on ground. Taribo West was there. Omale Momosa, Peter Obalo, Godwin Bazuaye and others were all playing for Julius Berger, and looking at them, I was scared thinking that I could not compete with such established players. However, I signed a deal of N20,000:00 sign-on fee with Berger, which was then playing in the National Division 1 League.

So, N20,000:00 was my first professional sign-on fee.

Too young for CAF Champions League

After signing for Julius Berger, the club management said that I would not play in the CAF Champions League with the club that year because I was too young and lacked experience. I was very angry and protested their decision.

I reminded them of my exploits in the previous years and warned them that if they would not rescind their decision, they would regret it. I had to return to Kaduna to resign my employment with NUB.

By the time I resumed with Berger in January, the club had got a new chief coach in the person of Sebastian Broderick, and I was lucky to break into his team after he had monitored our training at the National Stadium in Lagos.

The coach instructed us to run round the pitch and after a while, all the other players stopped running, but I continued doing the race. Coach Broderick was angry with the other players, but loved me because of my level of discipline, skill and strength.

With my input during the pre-season friendly games, the coaches had no option than to make me a part of the team. They discovered that I could always change the direction of any game anytime I go in to substitute a player 20 minutes before the regulation time.

My effort was actually crowned with the goal I scored against Rangers FC during the opening match of the league season in 1992. From that day till I joined the Esperance of Tunisia in 1994, I was in the first 11 of Julius Berger FC and I was playing regularly. I was so good that many coaches wanted to take me away from Berger.

I recall that every season, Coach Shaibu Amodu would come with a briefcase, filled with cash, to lure me to join BCC Lions of Gboko. International career It happened that I travelled to Cote d'Ivoire for trails with Asec Mimosa.

I travelled in company of Mamodu Mutairu, Ibe Johnson, Teslim Fetusi and Olumide Harris, who was the season's league highest goal scorer with 3SC. A foreign coach was managing Asec then and after he had watched my game for a while, he moved me from Team B to A, which then, had the best legs on the continent.

With that development, he stopped me from continuing with the trial and insisted that I should stay and play for Asec, and I signed for them. But I later had a problem, because Berger refused to release me, as it had a league title and Challenge Cup final matches to play against BCC Lions within that period. So, my release to Asec was delayed. It was while we were prosecuting those matches that Esperance of Tunisia spotted me.

They insisted that I must sign for them, but I told them that I had already signed for Asec. They advised me to dump Asec since I had yet to give my ITC (International Transfer Certificate) to them. I later signed for Esperance when they sent the contract documents to me even without inviting me for trials.

They did not allow me to conclude the season with Berger because they had the African Champions Cup game to play against Zamalek of Egypt and so, needed my services urgently. While I was with Esperance, we won the two-legged encounter and the trophy that year. A lawyer came after me

Meanwhile, I did not know that Asec Mimosa was still after me. The president of Asec, who was one of the eggheads in CAF then, raised the alarm and sent a lawyer from CAF after me. I was confronted in Tunis with the document I signed for Asec.

I accepted signing the document, but told them that the money the club president gave to me was more like a gift. I told them that I could not have been their player without getting my international clearance. In essence, Esperance of Tunisia was the first club I officially played for outside Nigeria and they were paying me $5000 as my salary per month.

I spent two and half years at Esperance. I left them after the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, USA, and signed a six-and-half-year deal with Roda FC of Holland. Call to national team My journey to the national team started when I was still playing in the local league.

I played for the national Under-20 team in 1992, and was part of the 1993 Under-23 team that played in Mauritius under Coach James Peters. Kanu Nwankwo, Taribo West, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, who came in from Germany, Tijani Babangida from Holland, Peter Ogaba from Belgium, Ben Akwuegbu from France among others, were all in that team.

After the outing in Mauritius, I was called to the Super Eagles for the South Africa 1996 Nations Cup, which we did not eventually participate in following federal government's severed relationship with the apartheid regime in South Africa. But it was the only game I played at the Olympics that gave me the cutting edge.

Not easy joining Eagles

Joining the Super Eagles was highly competitive because of the quality of players on ground. With Emmanuel Amuneke and Victor Ikpeba playing fantastic football from the wings, Jay Jay Okocha controlling the midfield, Mutiu Adepoju and many others doing what they knew how to do best, it seemed difficult breaking into the team.

But I was lucky to meet coaches that liked hardworking players. However, it was somehow easy for me to find my feet in the Super Eagles having played alongside some quality players during my days in Berger.

I was not a wing player, but when I realised that I would not get a shirt playing in the midfield, I had to shift to the wing side. At a point, I told myself that I would be playing at any position we had problem in the team and I became the master of the art.

When, for instance, two yellow cards ruled out Celestine Babayaro in a match at the 1996 Olympics, I played in his position. I also stood in for Sunday Oliseh against Brazil in the semi-final game at the same event.

Parents' opposition

In those days, I had to sneak out of the house to play football because my parents never supported my love for the game at the initial stage.

They would threaten me anytime I go out to play football, but when I joined NUB and started to earn some money to support the family, they soft-pedalled. That was when they began to believe that I could make a living by playing football. Throwing in the towel When my body began to give me signals that the game was up, I prepared and quit the game.

I was happy doing that because I had seen it all having played in two World Championships, made four Nations Cup appearances and played twice in Olympics. When I realised that my body could no longer carry on with the rigorous training, though I had no injury, I decided to throw in the towel.

Last match

It was not in my plan to quit active soccer the day I played my last match with my Chinese club in 2007, but something bad happened thereafter. When I came back to Nigeria after the season, armed robbers stormed my house and took away all my belongings, including my travelling documents. That made it impossible for me to return to China. However, in 2008, I fulfilled my promise to my good friend, Dominic Iorfa, to play for Lobi Stars.

I played one game for Lobi and told Iorfa that I had fulfilled my promise to him. Next level I have left active football; I am now looking forward. I am not a coach now, but that does not mean that I cannot become one in future.

However, there is no rule that says that every good footballer must be a coach. The fact is that football is part of my life and who says that I cannot become a club chairman or an administrator some day.

Rift between NFF and Keshi

The misunderstanding between Keshi and the federation came to me as a big surprise.

Yes, there will always be crisis in football in different parts of the world, but it would have been better if Keshi and the NFF had settled their differences without letting the world to know about it. I think that Keshi should understand that he is under the employment of the federation. He should try and dialogue with the football authorities instead of going to the media to discuss their problems.

He should not allow criticisms to overwhelm his emotions because criticism is part of the game. I know the level of criticism I faced as a person during my days in the national team.

Many people believed that I was in the national team to enjoy the northern players' quota and not that I was a good player. It bothered me so much, but I remained focused. I lasted long in the national team because I don't give up in anything I take to heart.

Abstinence from alcohol and women

My religion contributed to my decision to avoid alcohol, cigarettes and women, also is my personal resolution. I know from the beginning that any player who wants to last in football must abstain from all those habits and I was lucky to meet a coach who gave me a good orientation. Ladies? I lied! My first encounter with ladies was in Tunis.

My club president liked me so much that he would always tell me to ensure that I married from Tunisia. But I lied to him that I had a wife in Nigeria. I told him that my father imposed a girl on me and I married her. I had to lie because my former coach in Nigeria had already warned me against marrying an Arab.

Meanwhile, I had no emotional feeling for foreign ladies, I am a homeboy to the core. I was not into ladies while in Nigeria because I never had time for them. I had always wanted to live a low profile life and so, never needed any form of distraction.

Meeting a wife

I wouldn't say if my wife was my fan or not before I met her. Ladies would always pick interest in players that are in the limelight. I met my wife by coincidence in Kaduna.

She was really surprised the day I proposed to marry her because she saw me as one of the toasts of many girls in town, being a footballer. But I think we're meant for each other. Not cut out for four wives I can't marry four wives simply because I'm a Muslim.

God says we can marry four if we want, but it would be difficult to please four women at the same time. I didn't marry four because I know that I cannot please them. I have one wife and a male child, who I hope will play football. Low profile I lost most of my personal effects to armed robbers, but I had always lived a very low profile life.

I can adjust to any form of life and condition. That lifestyle has helped me a lot. I can go to the market and buy anything I want. In fact, where my teammates cannot enter, I can easily disguise myself on jeans and T-shirt and enter there freely. My life is simple, I don't believe in ostentatious lifestyle and my background prepared me for that.

Memorable matches

The game against Brazil in Atlanta 1996 Olympics stands out among the lot. I was afraid when I saw the line up, because Brazil had never paraded such a squad in that tournament category, but the match ended in our favour. It was awesome. I will also live to remember the Super Eagles' match against Spain in France 1998 World Cup.

Dream club

I lovedJulius Berger with passion and I am happy I played for the club. I don't regret not playing in England. But of course, during my time in active soccer, it was the Italian Serie A that was the envy of most players.

Italian football was stronger than the English game. I never nursed any ambition of playing for Barcelona or any other big team and I thank God for the clubs I played for. Why in the system?

I'm not a politician to brood over what I got or did not get from the nation. All I know is that I'm part of the football federation because you have to be there to remain in the system and to learn the rudiments of football administration.

They cannot bring you in if you are not in the system. I cannot ask for a reward when government has the record of my contributions and that of other ex-players in the country.

Problem with young players

I really feel sorry for young Nigerians, who are leaving the country for professional career in football in other parts of the world.

Most football agents deceive them by promising them of contracts with big clubs like Real Madrid even when they know that it is not possible for such players to play in such clubs. But when you want to advise the young boys, they wouldn't listen.

They would think that you don't want them to attain the height you attained. Most Nigerian players lack patience. Every one of them wants to be like Jay Jay Okocha or Finidi George overnight. Most parents are not helping matters either.

Some of them will go to the extent of selling their lands and other property to send their children abroad to play football, simply because a football agent would have told them that all was rosy out there. I'm sorry to say that most agents are sending players into modern day slavery.

Challenges in Europe

In Europe, you are faced with language problem, diet and weather. The environment is hostile because it puts you in a world of your own, especially when you return home after training. Sometime, you will contemplate packing your bag and returning home. Most times, you are alone at home with only your television set as your companion.

It was even worst during our time because we only had access to analogue telephone in Nigeria and it would drain your pocket if you had to make few calls.

Meanwhile, it was not advisable to relate with European girls. Your career would be on the line if you bring them closer to you. It was a big challenge, but I saw it as part of life. However, I thank God for everything; I thank Him for playing football.
OCCUPY NFF!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

. He never had a girl until he got to tunisia.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kilode?IIII
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

What was the source of his hatred for foreign women???? I know he said it was natural, but i wonder what created it?
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Man Ataye wrote:What was the source of his hatred for foreign women???? I know he said it was natural, but i wonder what created it?
Na the yeye journalist write "hatred". He simply said he had no interest in foreign women. It's not uncommon.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Damunk wrote:
Man Ataye wrote:What was the source of his hatred for foreign women???? I know he said it was natural, but i wonder what created it?
Na the yeye journalist write "hatred". He simply said he had no interest in foreign women. It's not uncommon.
idiotic Nigerian journalists! :roll:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Baldwin Not Godwin Bazuaye.
I always wondered why he played on the wing becaase he never looked like a natural winger, he was a disciplined player though.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Clone 5 or 6 Garba Lawals and Nigeria will win the WC. That dude was a class player who also outworked everybody on the pitch.

Wha choo looking at?!
kalani
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani »

Hardworking player, him and Mutiu were probably the most unsung of the 90s early 2000s teams.
megapro wrote:
Yobo’s problem is easy to analyze. His name is Omeruo. You don’t have to be a genius, just a normal guy like me to understand that we’re talking about frustration. It’s not easy for a player to see how he’s outperformed by a 19 year-old kid, but the kid is fantastic. I had the courage to play him and the problem is very simple.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Not easy joining Eagles

Joining the Super Eagles was highly competitive because of the quality of players on ground. With Emmanuel Amuneke and Victor Ikpeba playing fantastic football from the wings, Jay Jay Okocha controlling the midfield, Mutiu Adepoju and many others doing what they knew how to do best, it seemed difficult breaking into the team.

But I was lucky to meet coaches that liked hardworking players. However, it was somehow easy for me to find my feet in the Super Eagles having played alongside some quality players during my days in Berger.

I was not a wing player, but when I realised that I would not get a shirt playing in the midfield, I had to shift to the wing side. At a point, I told myself that I would be playing at any position we had problem in the team and I became the master of the art.

When, for instance, two yellow cards ruled out Celestine Babayaro in a match at the 1996 Olympics, I played in his position. I also stood in for Sunday Oliseh against Brazil in the semi-final game at the same event.
I tend to feel we didn't get the most we could have from Garba Lawal in part because we played him on the left-wing .... not that I favour using 2 DMs, but when I think back to that no-defending, score 15 we do not score 16 phase that culminated in 1-4 defeat to Denmark, I wonder if he shouldn't have been playing side-by-side with Oliseh in the middle, protecting the CBs and goalie (same with the Olympics, where he was Oliseh's sub instead of Oliseh's partner).

The Lawal Family:

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

just love Garba's attitude. Who's our utility player for SE now?
OCCUPY NFF!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

When the best thing u can say about a player is that he works hard, then it is s clear sign that he is an untalented scrub :roll:

Please Federal Character Lawal was a garbage turkey of player ... Sorry I tell the truth and refuse to blinded by revisionist sentimental nonsense.

He was the Aaron Ramsey of Naija :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

anikulapo wrote:When the best thing u can say about a player is that he works hard, then it is s clear sign that he is an untalented scrub :roll:

Please Federal Character Lawal was a garbage turkey of player ... Sorry I tell the truth and refuse to blinded by revisionist sentimental nonsense.

There is a reason why everywhere he went coaches admired his hard work over the nimble footed ones who thrill everyone with their atilogwu and awilo dance routine. Every team has a Ramsey, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Lawal who go about their work quietly. The fans may not appreciate them, but the people who are paid to look after the team do. That is why you see these players don the colours of their teams week in week out.

When people say players have skill , please can you elaborate what that means my good friend?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

oloye wrote:
anikulapo wrote:When the best thing u can say about a player is that he works hard, then it is s clear sign that he is an untalented scrub :roll:

There is a reason why everywhere he went coaches admired his hard work over the nimble footed ones who thrill everyone with their atilogwu and awilo dance routine. Every team has a Ramsey, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Lawal who go about their work quietly. The fans may not appreciate them, but the people who are paid to look after the team do. That is why you see these players don the colours of their teams week in week out.

When people say players have skill , please can you elaborate what that means my good friend?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ignorance is bliss indeed!!!
OCCUPY NFF!!
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

oloye wrote:

oloye,

There was this player, I can't remember his name, but I believe he played for BCC Lions at some point .... he was also known for being brutally effective, while not doing any Okocha-like skilful moves.

If only I could remember his name .... :tic:
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The Eagle wrote:
oloye wrote:

oloye,

There was this player, I can't remember his name, but I believe he played for BCC Lions at some point .... he was also known for being brutally effective, while not doing any Okocha-like skilful moves.

If only I could remember his name .... :tic:
I think i know that player..unfortunately it has been so long i cannot remember his name :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

oloye wrote:

Bros did u just mention Lawal & Ramshyt and compare them to Ambrosini and Gattuso :ohmy: :rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Ignorance is bliss indeed!!!
People dey talk and this chimp dey make noise as well :roll: Please get lost

MLK.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
...our way of translating west oyinbo to naija oyinbo :lol:
bully
Egg
Egg

Post by bully »

The guy is an angel* . Always blame the victims the actions of perpetrators are inconsequential and never to be impugned . Look at the angel* blaming Keshi for the dispute in the glasshouse . Definitely trying to absolve his uncle of any fault. What a nitwit. . The bucks never stop on their table.Absolutely embedded in their DNA they can commit egregious crimes with impunity
Last edited by bully on Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chemistry
Egg
Egg

Post by Chemistry »

bully wrote:The guy is an angel* always a northerner . Always blame the victims the actions of perpetrators are inconsequential and never to be impugned . Look at the angel* blaming Keshi for the dispute in the glasshouse . Definitely trying to absolve his uncle of any fault. What a nitwit. Aboki always aboki . The bucks never stop on their table.Absolutely embedded in their DNA they can commit egregious crimes with impunity
wow...did you have to descend this low?
bully
Egg
Egg

Post by bully »

Chemistry wrote:
bully wrote:The guy is an angel* . Always blame the victims the actions of perpetrators are inconsequential and never to be impugned . Look at the angel* blaming Keshi for the dispute in the glasshouse . Definitely trying to absolve his uncle of any fault. What a nitwit . The bucks never stop on their table.Absolutely embedded in their DNA they can commit egregious crimes with impunity
wow...did you have to descend this low?
Not lower than you. You know what I said is an incontrovertible fact.Unless you are one of them who always justifies your nefarious action.My stereotyping the northerners has a complete validity .
Last edited by bully on Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.