48 hours to adapt to High altitude conditions

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 48 hours to adapt to High altitude conditions

Post by Babafad »

Green then spoke about the gaffer’s constraints on not having adequate time to train with his wards before the game on Wednesday.

“Keshi is a master of the mind games. He’s not an Afcon-winning coach for nothing.

“Do you think the coach would want the Kenyans to know all his plans before the game on Wednesday? This is a serious game and the coach will only rationally keep his cards close to his chest to keep the opposition guessing,” he concluded.
:lol:

If that was indeed the case, hasn't Green's blurting of that fact, defeated the tactic??? :roll: :oops:
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=195559
Enugu II wrote:Sublimeskills:

This issue has been discussed so many times on this site. The NFF plan is the a viable option. There are two other options. Doing anything else would have been a very poor option. Please see this culled from sportsfitnessadvisor.com website. Thanks and please bookmark.
Preparing for Competition at Altitude

How can athletes who live at sea level prepare for a competition at altitude?
One approach is to compete within 24 hours of arrival at altitude. Not much acclimatization will have taken place but most of the classical symptoms of altitude sickness will not have had time to manifest. After the intial 24 hours, dehydration and sleep disturbances become more prominent.

An alternative option is to train at a higher altitude for at least 2 weeks prior to competition. Although full acclimatization to altitude takes 4 to 6 weeks, many of the physiological adaptations occur in the first 2 weeks and the more severe disturbancs should have settled. It is important to remember that during the intial days at altitude work capacity is reduced, so athletes should train at 60-70% of sea level VO2 max and build up gradually over 10-14 days.

A third approach is to devote a greater percentage of training time at sea level to endurance training several weeks prior to competition. This is a strategy often adopted within many team sports, helping to raise players' VO2 max to a peak so that they can perform at a lower relative intensity without significant loss in performance.

Sleeping in altitude tents and hypobaric chambers may be able to adequately simulate the effects of altitude but these tend to be very expensive. Unfortunately, there is no evidence to suggest that spending 1-2 hours per day breathing hypobaric gases at sea level results in the same adaptations as living at altitude.

Can altitude training improve sea level performance? See the altitude training article for more details.
You do know that NFL teams have Oxygen tanks on the sidelines to deal with the High altitude, they also seat down to recover every series. The Denver Nuggets, had 38 wins and 3 losses at home. the road record was like 19 wins and 22 losses. Go watch a NBA game in Denver, the opposition team is spent in the 2nd half of most games, gasping for air. The 24 hou r rule or 48 rule is a stupid idea. The right approach is to train at high altitude for about 2 or 3 weeks. In fact we need to have a sports complex at high altitude for our Olympic team.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:You do know that NFL teams have Oxygen tanks on the sidelines to deal with the High altitude, they also seat down to recover every series. The Denver Nuggets, had 38 wins and 3 losses at home. the road record was like 19 wins and 22 losses. Go watch a NBA game in Denver, the opposition team is spent in the 2nd half of most games, gasping for air. The 24 hou r rule or 48 rule is a stupid idea. The right approach is to train at high altitude for about 2 or 3 weeks. In fact we need to have a sports complex at high altitude for our Olympic team.
And in 2003, the Nuggets had a 13-28 home record...
What happened? Was the high altitude removed in 2002-03?!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Babafad wrote:The question of why didn't the SE leave Houston on Friday night, immediately after the game still hasn't been answered. That would have given them an extra 24hrs rest in Germany.

What about the issue of jet lag? Surely, that would be a factor. In the lead up to the match, they would have traveled across quite a few time zones. In any case, I wish them well.
how can the se leave Houston on friday night.... when the game finished at 10pm....haba.. they probably got to their hotel around 11pm12pm..smh... they left for Germany Saturday
This question is ridiculous. we've got to stop typing up crap and calling other people out for things we know nothing about. Do you realize that these players are fellow human beings, and not machines you pack in and out of bags? I left the stadium at about 11.30pm, and the players were still undressing, showering, and freshening up.
The traffic leaving Reliant Stadium was so bad that they couldn't have gotten to their hotel at The Galleria anytime earlier than 1am. Maybe Babafad would have rented a private jet to ferry them to their hotel.

Let's keep some perspective as we cast aspersions at others jare.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:You do know that NFL teams have Oxygen tanks on the sidelines to deal with the High altitude, they also seat down to recover every series. The Denver Nuggets, had 38 wins and 3 losses at home. the road record was like 19 wins and 22 losses. Go watch a NBA game in Denver, the opposition team is spent in the 2nd half of most games, gasping for air. The 24 hou r rule or 48 rule is a stupid idea. The right approach is to train at high altitude for about 2 or 3 weeks. In fact we need to have a sports complex at high altitude for our Olympic team.
Btw, I notice that you conveniently failed to mention that in the same sport (soccer) the Colorado Rapids had won only 2 of their 5 home games (with 2 losses and a draw). Perhaps, some dealer was slipping visiting teams some Oxygen under the table...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

Cally wrote:This question is ridiculous. we've got to stop typing up crap and calling other people out for things we know nothing about. Do you realize that these players are fellow human beings, and not machines you pack in and out of bags? I left the stadium at about 11.30pm, and the players were still undressing, showering, and freshening up.
The traffic leaving Reliant Stadium was so bad that they couldn't have gotten to their hotel at The Galleria anytime earlier than 1am. Maybe Babafad would have rented a private jet to ferry them to their hotel.

The players may be "fellow human beings", but they are also PROFESSIONAL footballers. So they are not mere mortals, like you and me.

Whilst I do admit that I am not in the slightest, familiar with the specifics of what the conditions were on the day, but if one plans and prepares, most things will be possible.

You say the players are not machines.......ok. Check this out - the NFF have flown the SE 6,000 miles from Houston to Germany across 7 TIME ZONES :roll: . I haven't even mentioned the trip from Germany to Houston. They arrived in Germany yesterday....Sunday. They leave Germany today and will fly over 8,000 miles to Addis Ababa, across another 3 TIME ZONES. Then on to the final leg towards Nairobi.

So, I use your own words on you "do you realize that these players are fellow human beings, and not machines"???

We do expect them to beat Kenya........without fail. But are we being realistic, considering what the NFF have put the SE through.......logistics wise??? :roll:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

cally, the thing weak me oooooo, i was so pissed off after the game because of traffic, don't know why the cops weren't there to move those El Tri fans partying none stop. i didn't move for like 40 mins before i begin drive through the parking (say make man cut corners) lot to cut corners,
Cally wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Babafad wrote:The question of why didn't the SE leave Houston on Friday night, immediately after the game still hasn't been answered. That would have given them an extra 24hrs rest in Germany.

What about the issue of jet lag? Surely, that would be a factor. In the lead up to the match, they would have traveled across quite a few time zones. In any case, I wish them well.
how can the se leave Houston on friday night.... when the game finished at 10pm....haba.. they probably got to their hotel around 11pm12pm..smh... they left for Germany Saturday
This question is ridiculous. we've got to stop typing up crap and calling other people out for things we know nothing about. Do you realize that these players are fellow human beings, and not machines you pack in and out of bags? I left the stadium at about 11.30pm, and the players were still undressing, showering, and freshening up.

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:
Btw, I notice that you conveniently failed to mention that in the same sport (soccer) the Colorado Rapids had won only 2 of their 5 home games (with 2 losses and a draw). Perhaps, some dealer was slipping visiting teams some Oxygen under the table...
Wow you are actually trying to defend the NFF, unbelievable. Obviously the Nuggets teams in 2003 was bad, but if you take away the high altitude advantage, they would have lost more games.

I am not a fan of uninformed discussion that is prevalent in NFF circles. I have science on my side.

How bad could it be? If you rapidly ascend to an elevation of 4300m, there’s an 80% chance you’ll get sick, and the endurance deficit can be 60% or greater! 1 Ouch!

Pre-Acclimatization Strategies

You could always just go right to the top and suck it up. Typically, it only takes a few days to get over the sickness, and a few weeks to improve your endurance. Of course, most athletes only have a weekend to travel to events, often competing on the same day!

To avoid the effects described above, there are a number of strategies that you can use to acclimatize yourself before you reach your destination.

http://www.bboyscience.com/altitude/

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Wow you are actually trying to defend the NFF, unbelievable. Obviously the Nuggets teams in 2003 was bad, but if you take away the high altitude advantage, they would have lost more games.
Wow! So talent has something to do with after all?
Btw, the Heat had a 37-4 home record playing at sea-level Miami. :mrgreen:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:I am not a fan of uninformed discussion that is prevalent in NFF circles. I have science on my side.
Dude, sorry but you cannot cut-and-paste an understanding of science...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I am not a fan of uninformed discussion that is prevalent in NFF circles. I have science on my side.
Gbosa........ :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:
It is called providing references to support a claim. I know you and your NFF cohorts don't believe in supporting claims, you make your owns. Just look at the Rivers states FA dressing up coaches to be replacement refs for the state FA cup. Lawlessness is not what I believe in. I can go technical if that is what you want. Explain every thing down to what happens to Hemoglobin and etc.

Lager-back
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lager-back »

now there are issues with accomodation according to latest reports!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

ohenhen1 wrote:

This issue has been discussed so many times on this site. The NFF plan is the a viable option. There are two other options. Doing anything else would have been a very poor option. Please see this culled from sportsfitnessadvisor.com website. Thanks and please bookmark.

One approach is to compete within 24 hours of arrival at altitude. Not much acclimatization will have taken place but most of the classical symptoms of altitude sickness will not have had time to manifest. After the intial 24 hours, dehydration and sleep disturbances become more prominent.

An alternative option is to train at a higher altitude for at least 2 weeks prior to competition. Although full acclimatization to altitude takes 4 to 6 weeks, many of the physiological adaptations occur in the first 2 weeks and the more severe disturbancs should have settled. It is important to remember that during the intial days at altitude work capacity is reduced, so athletes should train at 60-70% of sea level VO2 max and build up gradually over 10-14 days.

A third approach is to devote a greater percentage of training time at sea level to endurance training several weeks prior to competition. This is a strategy often adopted within many team sports, helping to raise players' VO2 max to a peak so that they can perform at a lower relative intensity without significant loss in performance.

Sleeping in altitude tents and hypobaric chambers may be able to adequately simulate the effects of altitude but these tend to be very expensive. Unfortunately, there is no evidence to suggest that spending 1-2 hours per day breathing hypobaric gases at sea level results in the same adaptations as living at altitude.

Can altitude training improve sea level performance? See the altitude training article for more details.
You do know that NFL teams have Oxygen tanks on the sidelines to deal with the High altitude, they also seat down to recover every series. The Denver Nuggets, had 38 wins and 3 losses at home. the road record was like 19 wins and 22 losses. Go watch a NBA game in Denver, the opposition team is spent in the 2nd half of most games, gasping for air. The 24 hou r rule or 48 rule is a stupid idea. The right approach is to train at high altitude for about 2 or 3 weeks. In fact we need to have a sports complex at high altitude for our Olympic team.

Common dude, it one thing to ignorantly throw out terms like "acclimatization" without really knowing the biologic basis. It doubly actually unfathomably wrong to keep arguing when a logical postion has been posited. How in the world would the Eagles starting team most of who just played there last games this Sunday train at high altitude for 2-3 weeks. Given the circumstances the approach the NFF used is actually best. No one says the home team that trains at high altitude does not have an advantage, the issue is how you limit that edge if you are visiting. Simple: You get there, do what you have to do and get the hell out.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

kawawa wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Common dude, it one thing to ignorantly throw out terms like "acclimatization" without really knowing the biologic basis. It doubly actually unfathomably wrong to keep arguing when a logical postion has been posited. How in the world would the Eagles starting team most of who just played there last games this Sunday train at high altitude for 2-3 weeks. Given the circumstances the approach the NFF used is actually best. No one says the home team that trains at high altitude does not have an advantage, the issue is how you limit that edge if you are visiting. Simple: You get there, do what you have to do and get the hell out.
You obviously don't know Ohenhehehe? :?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Cellular wrote:
kawawa wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Common dude, it one thing to ignorantly throw out terms like "acclimatization" without really knowing the biologic basis. It doubly actually unfathomably wrong to keep arguing when a logical postion has been posited. How in the world would the Eagles starting team most of who just played there last games this Sunday train at high altitude for 2-3 weeks. Given the circumstances the approach the NFF used is actually best. No one says the home team that trains at high altitude does not have an advantage, the issue is how you limit that edge if yo :twisted: u are visiting. Simple: You get there, do what you have to do and get the hell out.
You obviously don't know Ohenhehehe? :?
I was just thinking the same thing...No let Ohenhen make you blow fuse trying to make sense with am...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
WINNERMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by WINNERMAN »

SAns live in similar altitudes AS Ethiopia.

lt is correct science to arrive the day of or day before a match if you dont have adequate time to acclamatise. However, one must prepare the players against the effects of long distance travel. Otherwise jetlag will catch up with them Australia did thi by ferrying the players in oxygen tents and having them undergo specific physio and diet a few weeks before the day, Australian players ended up being stronger than Uruguans in their own nation.

We should not forget that the ANC ticket under SS was lost becos of this poor planning and under CW, our players ran out of breath against SA.
As for me and my house we will serve the LORD.-----JOSHUA 24 VS 15.

Life in Christ is not a change,it is an exchange. Your ashes for his beauty,your weakness for his strenght ,your destiny assured and a bonus of a victorious life on earth. lt is an irrestitible exchange.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:It is called providing references to support a claim. I know you and your NFF cohorts don't believe in supporting claims, you make your owns. Just look at the Rivers states FA dressing up coaches to be replacement refs for the state FA cup. Lawlessness is not what I believe in. I can go technical if that is what you want. Explain every thing down to what happens to Hemoglobin and etc.
Like using the National Enquirer to support a claim of Alien invasion?
Dude, a cut-and-paste gobbledygook cannot substitute for a holistic grasp of any subject matter.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

Have you ever played professional sports before? Or even amateur sports? Stepping into a 6 hour fight after playing is not good for the recovery of your muscles, it makes no sense.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:It is called providing references to support a claim. I know you and your NFF cohorts don't believe in supporting claims, you make your owns. Just look at the Rivers states FA dressing up coaches to be replacement refs for the state FA cup. Lawlessness is not what I believe in. I can go technical if that is what you want. Explain every thing down to what happens to Hemoglobin and etc.
Like using the National Enquirer to support a claim of Alien invasion?
Dude, a cut-and-paste gobbledygook cannot substitute for a holistic grasp of any subject matter.
There are plenty of references available at your local library for free. Do you also considers those the National enquirer?

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

WINNERMAN wrote:SAns live in similar altitudes AS Ethiopia.

lt is correct science to arrive the day of or day before a match if you dont have adequate time to acclamatise. However, one must prepare the players against the effects of long distance travel. Otherwise jetlag will catch up with them Australia did thi by ferrying the players in oxygen tents and having them undergo specific physio and diet a few weeks before the day, Australian players ended up being stronger than Uruguans in their own nation.

We should not forget that the ANC ticket under SS was lost becos of this poor planning and under CW, our players ran out of breath against SA.
I can only speak from my own experience. The first time I ran in High altitude, it was not difficult the first 30 to 45 minutes but after a while I started feeling it, grasping for air. My fear is towards the final 15 minutes of the game, after the long season most players have to endure, after the jet lag of the last minute travel,how much will our boys have left. The right approach was to camp early in high altitude near Kenya. Avoid the effects of Jet lag. But instead those officials only care about money, played the Mexico friendly, risking our chances of qualifying for the World cup.

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Lager-back wrote:now there are issues with accomodation according to latest reports!
So the NFF officials that were in Nairobi 4 days ahead of the game couldn't find a suitable accommodation for the squad?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Why are they in Ethiopia again? Addis Ababa is 7,546 feet (2,300 metres) while Nairobi is 5,500ft. The Germany stopover might probably has something to do with Adidas.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu