Will increase in referees' indemnities improve our League?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Will increase in referees' indemnities improve our Leagu

Post by oloye »

You cannot satisfy greed and corruption, if they do not have integrity, no amount of pay hike would rid them of the corruption. The more they earn they more they crave for finer things of life. What we should be talking about is the system is that is in place to check their excesses. Refereeing job is meant to be a hobby, or am i missing something here. These guys are supposed to have a normal job and only do the ref job as part time. If earning extran 100k on top of your normal salary is not enough, adding whatever amount you want to add will never satisfy them.

It is about good training, integrity coupled with the right cheacks and balances. Anything outside of this is just fuelling greed.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Oloye, I grew up knowing referees to be normal every daypeople who had good jobs. I remember a former registrar of s university in Western Nigeria being a referee and an Army Colonel too.
These days i see the referees we have,especially those in Port Harcourt and they look very hungry
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

The fact this isn't considered a top priority in the nation's top sport is a scandal in itself.

Heck my friend who is one of the trustees for the Taekwondo association in Nigeria recently led them to adopting indemnity for all the Nigerian Taekwondo sportsmen. It is now a prerequisite for all chapters to implement this and to be reviewed periodically.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

ikwerreman wrote:Oloye, I grew up knowing referees to be normal every daypeople who had good jobs. I remember a former registrar of s university in Western Nigeria being a referee and an Army Colonel too.
These days i see the referees we have,especially those in Port Harcourt and they look very hungry
That is why i said there should be checks and balances..looks like people now see it as a means of being fully employed. In a country where the minimum wage is 18k, being paid 60k / match is still about right. If they are good they can do about 2-3 matches in a month. Even in the days that you mentioned some of these guys still collect bribe, hence i made mention of greed and corruption. If corruption is the problem , the first question would be may be it is time to review the checks and balances.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

By the way they might want to do the EPL model, whereby some refs are employed permanently and on a good salary. But what is good salary in the Naija context and will it stop the corrupts ones among them? I think it is time we begin to review the checks and balances we have in place while resisting the urge to feel we can always throw money at everything.

Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

No it won't, a corrupt official will always seek an avenue to make money. The focus should be on those Club officials and state FA people who are the ones that offer the bribe in the first place. No offer, no need to compromise the game.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Colin Udoh, a Nigerian journalist, tells a couple of heuristic stories. The funny one is of a keeper being begged by his teammates to let the home side score after the official allowed three minutes of injury time to continue into a 15th minute. The not-funny one is that of a young ref who was handed a relatively important match to officiate. Beforehand he was visited by parties from both the home and visiting teams who tried to influence him on what was to happen. He decided he would simply officiate the match honestly, which he did. After the match, fans of the away team accused him of having been "settled" by the home side, and fans of the home side accused him of the opposite. So he ended up taking a physical beating from both sets of fans. After that he officiated according to convention.

Says Udoh, "Violent elements of club support routinely threaten match officials, verbally and physically assaulting them, with little protection from the police."
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... in-nigeria
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
oluphemmie007
Egg
Egg

Post by oluphemmie007 »

like oloye, i believe it is about instituting proper checks and balances, and by that i mean there should be clearly spelled punishments for erring referees. like in every sector of the nation, corruption cannot be fought by 'ordinary eyes'. someone has got to put his feet down, make scapegoats of as many as needed, and watch the others fall in line.

i was part of a popular 5-a-side tourney,and what i heard from the refs ehn!, na fire. what we need is a sanitization of the system, not throw more pays at people who will not be satisfied.
Manchester United: Trophies Yesterday, Today and Forever

This is Cybereagles...expect anything.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

oluphemmie007 wrote:like oloye, i believe it is about instituting proper checks and balances, and by that i mean there should be clearly spelled punishments for erring referees. like in every sector of the nation, corruption cannot be fought by 'ordinary eyes'. someone has got to put his feet down, make scapegoats of as many as needed, and watch the others fall in line.

i was part of a popular 5-a-side tourney,and what i heard from the refs ehn!, na fire. what we need is a sanitization of the system, not throw more pays at people who will not be satisfied.
Referees will rather take the official punishment for "erring" than face unofficial, life-threatening beatings from home fans in stadia lacking effective and impartial security.

PS: I blame people like Oloye's ex-teammate Dominic Iorfa. No vex Oloye, but when clubs are looking for men like that to appoint to high-level administrative positions, you know what they intend to do to "win" :roll: their matches.

PPS: I wonder if this is why Mutiu Adepoju was forced out at 3SC?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

ikwerreman wrote:Oloye, I grew up knowing referees to be normal every daypeople who had good jobs. I remember a former registrar of s university in Western Nigeria being a referee and an Army Colonel too.
Those who want to can be brought and also there would be those who can't then watch as those who are easily brought assigned to particular matches or requested often.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?