What do WE think of this from the lads?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
What do WE think of this from the lads?

Post by cic old boy »

I caught a bit of the half-time “analysis” during the West Brom v Villa match yesterday. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher were claiming that many of the defensive errors that led to goals in the EPL this season were due to many managers trying to get their teams to “play football”. Defenders and goalies were trying to keep possession by not hoofing it as far upfield as possible, as they were used to doing. They said coaches/players see teams like Barca and Spain and want to play like them, but may not have the technique to pull it off. They felt trying to “play football” was the way forward and kick and rush - even though “exciting” for fans - was a backward step, and fans have to accept that errors will be made until the players get used to this brave new world of playing footie the right way.
http://www.naijiant.com/
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: What do WE think of this from the lads?

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:I caught a bit of the half-time “analysis” during the West Brom v Villa match yesterday. .
:lol: :lol:

you just happened to catch the half-time analysis, right?

lemme guess, you did not watch the game because it was the usual dross...but you managed to watch the half-time show.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Thicko, if you are really that interested in my life and not the points made by the lads, half-time was while I was eating supper and we have a telly in the dining room.
http://www.naijiant.com/
grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

I think their point was interesting but Gary also specified hoofing the ball forward from kick off especially if it is away from howm and from a titled rival. Whilst in play, he didn't think Spurs full backs needed to be as far forward as they were as it unnecesaarily exposed their CB's.

I agree with him and alos don't understand why players pass the ball back to their GK if he his just going to hoof it forward....I note though that United De Gea do this too but in De Gea's case he mostly always tries to find the farthest foward full back or winger not just kiack and hope for the best.
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

cic old boy wrote:I caught a bit of the half-time “analysis” during the West Brom v Villa match yesterday. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher were claiming that many of the defensive errors that led to goals in the EPL this season were due to many managers trying to get their teams to “play football”. Defenders and goalies were trying to keep possession by not hoofing it as far upfield as possible, as they were used to doing. They said coaches/players see teams like Barca and Spain and want to play like them, but may not have the technique to pull it off. They felt trying to “play football” was the way forward and kick and rush - even though “exciting” for fans - was a backward step, and fans have to accept that errors will be made until the players get used to this brave new world of playing footie the right way.
They have a point if the keeper has the ball skills of the likes of Boruc and Hugo Iloris. They have a point if the defenders cannot pass their way out of hell. There is no need trying to make a carpenter paint the image of Mona lisa. There is no point trying to make a butcher carry out a delicate eye surgery, they would botch it. Seeing Boruc turn around like a barber's chair while pretending to be playing the ball was frustrating, if he was a kid, you would clip him around the ear, that was so dumb.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

Saw this very thing when Cardiff gave up the first goal to ManU. Defender was forcing a left foot pass to the the left fullback when a hoof would have been safer
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

opine wrote:Saw this very thing when Cardiff gave up the first goal to ManU. Defender was forcing a left foot pass to the the left fullback when a hoof would have been safer
Or even a simple back pass to the keeper! Nor be by force to play, not everyone can be Franz Beckenbauer or Baresi...hoof the damn thing away like Terry Butcher if you are not sure :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

grandverve wrote:I think their point was interesting but Gary also specified hoofing the ball forward from kick off especially if it is away from howm and from a titled rival. Whilst in play, he didn't think Spurs full backs needed to be as far forward as they were as it unnecesaarily exposed their CB's.

I agree with him and alos don't understand why players pass the ball back to their GK if he his just going to hoof it forward....I note though that United De Gea do this too but in De Gea's case he mostly always tries to find the farthest foward full back or winger not just kiack and hope for the best.

The defender is usually facing his own goal with an opponent bearing down on him. It is easier to pass it to the keeper facing the opponents goal to kick it out. Some keepers are very accurate with their kicks so can be as effective as a long pass
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16