Sulaiman Folarin on Sirius XM FC talks Africa Football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sulaiman4real
Egg
Egg
Re: Sulaiman Folarin on Sirius XM FC talks Africa Football

Post by Sulaiman4real »

Thanks gentlemen,

I appreciate all the praise. 15 years of hard work and dedication in this industry finally coming to reality. All the journalism school money not wasted. Just never give up on anything you believe in. Thanks to Charles and Kizonzo (long time Cyber Eagles members), real friends who always believed I have the talent.

Sulaiman Folarin
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Sulaiman4real wrote:Thanks gentlemen,

I appreciate all the praise. 15 years of hard work and dedication in this industry finally coming to reality. All the journalism school money not wasted. Just never give up on anything you believe in. Thanks to Charles and Kizonzo (long time Cyber Eagles members), real friends who always believed I have the talent.

Sulaiman Folarin
Guy u just dey put my government name for this site oooo
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Ugbowo wrote:

Sulaiman Folarin
Keep quite Charles...Your head no dey house...How that your fine woman wey you bring come Houston for the Nigeria/Mexico match? She fine no be small... :D
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ugbowo wrote:

Sulaiman Folarin
Disman sef, if you no quote am, how we for sabi say na you bobo dey tok about? :D :taunt:

Anyway, I don handle am for you... :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Cellular wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:

Sulaiman Folarin
Disman sef, if you no quote am, how we for sabi say na you bobo dey tok about? :D :taunt:

You do well Cellular. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Robbynice wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:

Sulaiman Folarin
Keep quite Charles...Your head no dey house...How that your fine woman wey you bring come Houston for the Nigeria/Mexico match? She fine no be small... :D
RobbyAssnal,

My Madam dey o. Wedding na June next year IJN :thumbs:
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg

Post by KIZONZO »

Lol, now we know who Charlie is. :rotf: Great job Sulaiman
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Cellular wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:

Sulaiman Folarin

No mind am.. na dis kind guys dey copy person work even the persin name join during SSCE and GCE :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Robbynice wrote:
Sulaiman4real wrote:Gentlemen,

I was on Sirius XM FC last night talking African Football after all the qualifiers were concluded. Please give it a listen and have a great day.

Sulaiman Folarin
Folarin, you are doing an amazing job. I be dey brag about you to my friends say you be my guy. Like BP, I would like to hear how my name sounds on HD so during the next game, I beg incoporate my name with my trademark dem go hear wen for your commentaries. Great job my guy. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Btw what station are you on on Sirus XM? :D
Uncle, you don hear your name for UHF before wey you wonder how e go sound for HD? :roll:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Disagree with Sulaiman on a number of issues he raised here:

1. While one must commend Bradley for his efforts in Egypt, his appointment has to be said was as unlikely as any you'll ever see. Not in terms of his fit in playing philosophy; not in terms of his understanding of the Egyptian game and certainly not for his innovation..

2. True he led the pharoes at a challenging time and had to deal with a whole lot of issues beyond his control, but his handling of the game in Kummasi betrayed incredible naivety and poor understanding of the African game.

3. I insist that Ghanaian team was very vulnerable and with the right tactics, Egypt could've gotten a result...

4. The ANC in world cup years cannot be said to have had a negative impact on African representatives at the WC. The facts simply do not support that. Yes it's tricky navigating two major tournaments back to back, but Nigeria and Ghana showed in 1994 and 2000 that it can actually be a major platform for fine tuning a WC preparation.

The fact that Nigeria and CIV made the bone headed decision to fire their coaches following poor ANC tournaments is hardly a credible reason...

Just my two cents...But good job overall...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

txj wrote:Disagree with Sulaiman on a number of issues he raised here:

1. While one must commend Bradley for his efforts in Egypt, his appointment has to be said was as unlikely as any you'll ever see. Not in terms of his fit in playing philosophy; not in terms of his understanding of the Egyptian game and certainly not for his innovation..

2. True he led the pharoes at a challenging time and had to deal with a whole lot of issues beyond his control, but his handling of the game in Kummasi betrayed incredible naivety and poor understanding of the African game.

3. I insist that Ghanaian team was very vulnerable and with the right tactics, Egypt could've gotten a result...

4. The ANC in world cup years cannot be said to have had a negative impact on African representatives at the WC. The facts simply do not support that. Yes it's tricky navigating two major tournaments back to back, but Nigeria and Ghana showed in 1994 and 2000 that it can actually be a major platform for fine tuning a WC preparation.

The fact that Nigeria and CIV made the bone headed decision to fire their coaches following poor ANC tournaments is hardly a credible reason...

Having the ANC in a World Cup year has always been a two sided coin for African teams. On the one hand, having a major tournament before the World Cup can be a positive in terms of using it as a dress rehearsal for the main event. But on the other hand African teams have quite often overreacted to results at the ANC - leading to some poor decisions taken ahead of the World Cup.
brigadoon
Egg
Egg

Post by brigadoon »

Top notch commentary. Well done! :thumb:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mystic wrote:

Having the ANC in a World Cup year has always been a two sided coin for African teams. On the one hand, having a major tournament before the World Cup can be a positive in terms of using it as a dress rehearsal for the main event. But on the other hand African teams have quite often overreacted to results at the ANC - leading to some poor decisions taken ahead of the World Cup.

Overreaction by African FAs to ANC results in WC years is not a factor of the tournament but rather a manifestation of the serial mismanagement of African football by its associations.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sulaiman4real
Egg
Egg

Post by Sulaiman4real »

Did you really hear the interview?

If you listened and understood the narrative, it is FA's in Africa have no excuse to fire their coaches because there is no AFCON in World Cup year going forward. 1994 is ONE example. The excuse for Togo, Nigeria and Ivory Coast in 2006 and 2010 was because their coaches performed poorly at the AFCON that year. Two of the coaches were Nigerians (Keshi and Amodu) so they brought in foreigners too close to the World Cup and none of those teams advanced beyond the first round. If that's not a valid point, then you're just typing just to say anything.

I have insider information of what Bob Bradley was doing in Egypt (I spoke with him for a while before I interviewed him) - and you're not a coach so you have no idea what he was doing in Kumasi all you have done is speculate again - plus Ghana was way deeper where it mattered. The Egyptian league was out of session. Foreigners have left Africa (European coaches left Egyptian clubs) for less excuses so give him some credit. I questioned why they hired him in the first place, but you cannot say staying does not count for anything. Plus you didn't talk to Bradley or people in Egypt; I did.

Bradley's players were out of game shape for months. His strength was also his biggest achilles; he was coaching a country with the best league in Africa, but was out of session, no excuse but a player without any football action?

Read my Bob Bradley article on Al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/football ... 10582.html
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sulaiman4real wrote:

Did you really hear the interview?

If you listened and understood the narrative, it is FA's in Africa have no excuse to fire their coaches because there is no AFCON in World Cup year going forward. 1994 is ONE example. The excuse for Togo, Nigeria and Ivory Coast in 2006 and 2010 was because their coaches performed poorly at the AFCON that year. Two of the coaches were Nigerians (Keshi and Amodu) so they brought in foreigners too close to the World Cup and none of those teams advanced beyond the first round. If that's not a valid point, then you're just typing just to say anything.

I have insider information of what Bob Bradley was doing in Egypt (I spoke with him for a while before I interviewed him) - and you're not a coach so you have no idea what he was doing in Kumasi all you have done is speculate again - plus Ghana was way deeper where it mattered. The Egyptian league was out of session. Foreigners have left Africa (European coaches left Egyptian clubs) for less excuses so give him some credit. I questioned why they hired him in the first place, but you cannot say staying does not count for anything. Plus you didn't talk to Bradley or people in Egypt; I did.

Bradley's players were out of game shape for months. His strength was also his biggest achilles; he was coaching a country with the best league in Africa, but was out of session, no excuse but a player without any football action?

Read my Bob Bradley article on Al Jazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/football ... 10582.html

I listened to the interview on SiriusXM and afterwards thru the link provided.

Your point is that AFCON in a WC year has the consequence of leading to the firing of coaches, if their teams perform poorly. True.

But its not a result of AFCON per se, but the incompetence of the FAs in question and their inability to carry out proper root cause analysis.

My point is that they are two separate issues...

On Bob Bradely, I don't have to be a coach to figure out what he was doing in Kumasi. It was on live TV thanks to you an the folks at BEIN!!!!

I gave Bradley credit in my commentary; I still do given the circumstances surrounding his stay in Egypt.

But, his was an unlikely appointment. TRUE

Yes Ghana is deeper than Egypt, but that's only the personnel side of it.

What about the team organization side of it? That is the realm of coaching and I think he failed on that side....

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj, hush....you're just typing just to say anything.you are irrelevant, and you continue to abuse yourself...please start reading the book of proverbs, it will do you a whole lot good... it is not every post your got to reply to. /folarin really don wound you , your response is very weak..go to bed
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Bigpokey24 wrote:txj, hush....you're just typing just to say anything.you are irrelevant, and you continue to abuse yourself...please start reading the book of proverbs, it will do you a whole lot good... it is not every post your got to reply to. /folarin really don wound you , your response is very weak..go to bed
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
1bakana
Egg
Egg

Post by 1bakana »

TXJ, in as much as I get where you're coming from, you're nitpicking! It doesn't matter why those coaches/managers were fired, no Afcon, no excuse end o story.btw congrats Sulaiman.
Last edited by 1bakana on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Congratulations, I have been told that I should try doing football analysis/commentary but as I get older I actually find my interest in such decreasing. Nice to have someone actually step up and deliver. It is a great one for the CE community - Congrats once more.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

1bakana wrote:TXJ, in as much as I get where you're coming from, you're nitpicking! It doesn't matter why those coaches/managers were fired, no Afcon, no excuse end o story.btw congrats Sulaiman.
I happen to think that facts matter...

The managers of Cameroon and Egypt were not fired in spite of poor ANC records in WC years, 1998 specifically for the IL.

I like the AFCON in a WC year cus I believe the positives outweigh the negatives...

Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Sule

You sabi book. You know what you are talking about. The knowledge and enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air.
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
1bakana wrote:TXJ, in as much as I get where you're coming from, you're nitpicking! It doesn't matter why those coaches/managers were fired, no Afcon, no excuse end o story.btw congrats Sulaiman.
I happen to think that facts matter...

The managers of Cameroon and Egypt were not fired in spite of poor ANC records in WC years, 1998 specifically for the IL.

I like the AFCON in a WC year cus I believe the positives outweigh the negatives...
Txj,

Actually CAF has long considered changing to odd years and for similar reasons as Folarin mentioned. In addition, the re were other reasons as mentioned in this write up below culled from CNN.

African football seeks new era to end old problems
By Piers Edwards, CNN
updated 2:14 PM EDT, Fri October 12, 2012

(CNN) -- The opening ceremony of the 1998 Africa Cup of Nations was unforgettable -- not so much for the color and performers that enlivened Burkina Faso's national stadium, more for the unexpected events that unfolded in front of the watching FIFA president.

With Burkina Faso's team side nicknamed the Stallions, Sepp Blatter watched a rag of horses dance across a naked pitch as an unfortunate local traipsed behind them, using his hands and a cardboard box to clear the dung falling on a surface that would be staging an international match just moments later.

The scenario was one that could have endangered any player's well-being but very little was made of it -- for this was a tournament where things have been, and always will be, a little different.

How Zambia overcame the odds
In years gone by, a variety of bizarre incidents have often fed the western media's desire to pour scorn on an ever improving tournament -- as accusations of witchcraft have overshadowed matches (see Nigeria vs. Senegal in 2000), players have been sent off for assaulting medical staff and organizers have taken to painting bald turf green to make pitches look better on television.

That is not to mention the wild defending, tackling and haircuts that have long decorated Africa's biggest sporting event in years gone by nor, more seriously, the terrible gun attack on the Togo team bus that killed two delegation members in Angola two years ago.

Somewhat unusually though, the 2012 finals will be remembered for all the right reasons -- namely, the fairytale triumph of unfancied Zambia in Gabon, a land where 18 members of the national team had died in a 1993 plane crash.

World Cup motivation
On Sunday, the line up for the next tournament will be complete once 15 teams successfully negotiate a variety of tense playoffs and join hosts South Africa in the finals.

Premier League managers will again warm their larynges prior to their habitual howl about the event taking place in the middle of the European season -- but for once, the timing of the next tournament really is key.
Read: Vieira questions young players' 'lack of love' for England team

For the decision by the Confederation of African Football to move the Nations Cup to an odd-ending year means it will end its reign as the only continental championship to stage its final just four months before the World Cup.
Given that the last Nations Cup to take place in an odd year pre-dated the 1966 World Cup, which Africa boycotted in protest at its meagre allocation of half a qualifying berth given they were required to face an Asian country in a playoff, the decision to move the biennial tournament is long overdue.

The primary reason was of course to assist Africa's teams at the World Cup, with a variety of players, coaches and conditioning experts having long opined that it is near impossible for international footballers to peak -- both physically and performance wise -- at two major tournaments so close together.

African football in shock over riots
Then there was the issue of how poor Nations Cup displays by World Cup bound sides could lead to the firing of coaches with just weeks to go before football's greatest showpiece got underway, as has happened repeatedly down the years.

However, Africa's continuing failure to triumph at a World Cup lay at the heart of the decision, with the continent having never reached the semifinals -- gallingly failing to emulate Asia's breakthrough when hosting in 2002 despite the last finals taking place on African soil.

Yes, Cameroon, Senegal and Ghana may have all reached the last eight (in 1990, 2002 and 2010 respectively) but a more revealing statistic is that no World Cup has ever found more than one African side in the knock-out stages.
This is despite the African tally having gone up to two in 1982, increased to three in 1994 before reaching today's tally of five in 1998 -- while South Africa's World Cup staging allowed for a record six African teams in 2010.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kai txj continues to suffer :rotf: :CEs court jester
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved