Let us discuss the Super Eagles centreback conundrum

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Let us discuss the Super Eagles centreback conundrum

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] During the Confederation Cup, I remember Efan Ekoku saying that Nigeria has never produced two world class centrebacks at the same time
[2] He is kind of right as we never had say a combination like Chukwu/Keshi; Keshi/Taribo orTaribo/Yobo
[3] Given that both centrebacks have to think like one person, chemistry is also important and not just quality
[4] Before the Nations Cup, I am sure most forumers here would have chosen a centreback pairing of Yobo and Shittu
[5] No one really believed Omeruo and Oboabona were up to the job
[6] However, both are not yet world class but can get there if they have brilliant World Cups
[7] It is obvious the two of them will go to the world Cup, but who should be the other two to go with them
[8] Efe Ambrose, Kenny Otigba, Azubuike Egwuekwe and now Kunle Odunlami are now into the mix
[9] Experience-wise, Ambrose is actually the most exposed. I am still perplexed as to why Keshi has not used him as a centreback in at least one friendly
[10] For now, Keshi has two questions to answer - Which two does he start; which four does he take?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let us discuss the Super Eagles centreback conundrum

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

When will we discuss the conundrum in your head?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] During the Confederation Cup, I remember Efan Ekoku saying that Nigeria has never produced two world class centrebacks at the same time
[2] He is kind of right as we never had say a combination like Chukwu/Keshi; Keshi/Taribo orTaribo/Yobo
[3] Given that both centrebacks have to think like one person, chemistry is also important and not just quality
[4] Before the Nations Cup, I am sure most forumers here would have chosen a centreback pairing of Yobo and Shittu
[6] However, both are not yet world class but can get there if they have brilliant World Cups
[7] It is obvious the two of them will go to the world Cup, but who should be the other two to go with them
[8] Efe Ambrose, Kenny Otigba, Azubuike Egwuekwe and now Kunle Odunlami are now into the mix
[9] Experience-wise, Ambrose is actually the most exposed. I am still perplexed as to why Keshi has not used him as a centreback in at least one friendly
[10] For now, Keshi has two questions to answer - Which two does he start; which four does he take?
Ambrose Efe should Never be Consider as CD IN our National Team..A risk not worth Taken.. Keshi is Using Efe where the Player

Best Suit his Team---RB...

These are My Four Going to the WC..

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

Joseph Yobo have served the Nation very well and wishing him the Best in his Club Career..
Time for Keshi and His Team to move forward without this Player...Please don't sell me Experience here..
Play Kunle in one of our Friendly before the WC and see what he bring to the Team..
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

For the purposes of the Super Eagles in Brazil, Ambrose Efe will be our right back, so he does not figure into the centreback discussion. Now as for our centrebacks, I don't know what Keshi will ultimately decide in terms of who he takes to the World Cup but Keshi certainly has options:

1. Kenneth Omeruo - Needs to be playing week in and week out for Middlesbrough to put himself in pole position to grab a starting shirt in Brazil but likely going to the World Cup, regardless, based on his encouraging play for Nigeria last year, his growing partnership with Oboabona and his ability to provide cover at Right Back.

2. Godfrey Oboabona - Nigeria's best and most consistent defender in 2014. Has remained in excellent form in Turkey and is a shoo-in to start our opening game vs Iran.

3. Azubuike Egwuekwe - Has been ever present in Stephen Keshi's setup, so I expect that to continue. Has tons of natural footballing talent, but is let down by his lack of pace and occasional clumsy play. He is a capable reserve and one always gets the sense that he is only beginning to scratch the surface of his ability. But how much longer will we be saying that? His spot on the final 23 is not yet nailed down, but he has the inside track.

4. Joseph Yobo - His World Cup chances have been given a lifeline with his January return to the English Premiership. At this point in his career, he is injury prone and looked like a shadow of himself in 2014. All the same, given the relative inexperience of our centrebacks, his years of exposure to the international game could be of great value. Everything now depends on his form at Norwich.

5. Kenneth Otigba - Word is that things are being set into motion for Otigba to make the international switch from Hungary (whom he represented at age grade level) to Nigeria. I'm not sure if this will happen in time for the World Cup, but Otigba will be an important capture for Nigeria in any event. A very good player for the present and an excellent prospect for the future. However, for the time being, Keshi has no decision to make until the switch officially comes through.

6. Gbenga Arokoyo - Has been overlooked since moving to Sweden, particularly as Keshi has kept faith with the trio of Omeruo, Oboabona & Egwuekwe. For my money, he is the best Nigerian central defender not named Omeruo or Oboabona; and much like Otigba, he brings significant qualities to the table today while offering additional potential for the future. Lacks international experience and still needs that bit of polish to his game that will come as he continues to grow in his career. But definately among Nigeria's best.

7. James Okwuosa - The former Enugu Rangers captain has been in the picture since the friendly with South Africa last summer, but has not made enough appearances for the squad to leave us with an accurate impression of what he brings to the table. Still, Stephen Keshi must see something in his game to have kept him in the picture. Thus, he must not be ruled out of being among the centrebacks that Keshi has in mind as he focuses on his final preparations for Brazil.

8. Ebenezer Odunlami - Stephen Keshi has been grooming him in the antechamber of the Super Eagles for about a year now before his coming out party at the ongoing CHAN competition. And based on what we've seen so far, the year spent understudying those that were ahead of him in the pecking order has not been wasted. Indeed, despite the veteran presence of Egwuekwe (who has played well at CHAN) Odunlami has been our best defender. Hard to see how Keshi doesn't give him strong consideration.

9. Onyekachi Apam - Apam is the wildcard in this whole equation. We know that Keshi likes him. And he would add much needed experience to the team - not to mention that he could solve the Right Back problem as adequate cover for Ambrose. However, since returning from a potential career ending injury 2 years ago, Apam has only teased with his once sought after ability. And there are simply too many questions for any sane person to rely on him for the World Cup. Nonetheless, if Apam get's it together and is playing good football week in and week out heading into the Mundial, then Keshi might be tempted to take a look.

10. Dele Adeleye - Adeleye has been out of the picture since Keshi dropped him after the Super Eagles first set of friendlies under his charge (vs Botswana & Zambia). At the time, Keshi was unhappy with the performance of our centreback group (Yobo, Ambrose, Adeleye, Ukah, Ayila) and considering that poor defensive play was the bugaboo of Samson Siasia's Eagles, it was no surprise. Having said that, if we are talking about current form, Adeleye has been super consistent with Russian side Anzhi, and I expect that to continue in Greece (where he has moved to during the January transfer window). Now has he done enough to play his way back into reckoning? I suspect that he hasn't, but he has a few more months to convince Keshi otherwise.

11. Gege Soriola - Has not been heard from with respect to the national team since being called up for The Mandela Cup last summer. At the time, James Okwuosa was preferred over him and he seems to have fallen way down the pecking order. He is still well thought of, but appears to be firmly on the outside looking in.

12. Papa Idris - Has reportedly signed with Gombe United and for me his return to the Nigerian League is a positive development. Bad luck seems to have trailed him over the past year and a half, but his troubles may be at an end. It would seem to be too late in the day to be making a push for Brazil now, but if he gets his career back on track, it is likely that he will be called upon again at some point if Keshi remains in charge of the Super Eagles.

My picks: Omeruo, Oboabona, Otigba, Arokoyo, Egwuekwe, Odunlami.

Let these 6 players fight it out and may the best 4 go to Brazil.

Wild Cards: Yobo, Apam

If either of these two players hits form, Keshi will have a decision to make, but as of now my sense is that we should look to the future.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

mystic wrote:For the purposes of the Super Eagles in Brazil, Ambrose Efe will be our right back, so he does not figure into the centreback discussion. Now as for our centrebacks, I don't know what Keshi will ultimately decide in terms of who he takes to the World Cup but Keshi certainly has options:

1. Kenneth Omeruo - Needs to be playing week in and week out for Middlesbrough to put himself in pole position to grab a starting shirt in Brazil but likely going to the World Cup, regardless, based on his encouraging play for Nigeria last year, his growing partnership with Oboabona and his ability to provide cover at Right Back.

2. Godfrey Oboabona - Nigeria's best and most consistent defender in 2014. Has remained in excellent form in Turkey and is a shoo-in to start our opening game vs Iran.

3. Azubuike Egwuekwe - Has been ever present in Stephen Keshi's setup, so I expect that to continue. Has tons of natural footballing talent, but is let down by his lack of pace and occasional clumsy play. He is a capable reserve and one always gets the sense that he is only beginning to scratch the surface of his ability. But how much longer will we be saying that? His spot on the final 23 is not yet nailed down, but he has the inside track.

4. Joseph Yobo - His World Cup chances have been given a lifeline with his January return to the English Premiership. At this point in his career, he is injury prone and looked like a shadow of himself in 2014. All the same, given the relative inexperience of our centrebacks, his years of exposure to the international game could be of great value. Everything now depends on his form at Norwich.

5. Kenneth Otigba - Word is that things are being set into motion for Otigba to make the international switch from Hungary (whom he represented at age grade level) to Nigeria. I'm not sure if this will happen in time for the World Cup, but Otigba will be an important capture for Nigeria in any event. A very good player for the present and an excellent prospect for the future. However, for the time being, Keshi has no decision to make until the switch officially comes through.

6. Gbenga Arokoyo - Has been overlooked since moving to Sweden, particularly as Keshi has kept faith with the trio of Omeruo, Oboabona & Egwuekwe. For my money, he is the best Nigerian central defender not named Omeruo or Oboabona; and much like Otigba, he brings significant qualities to the table today while offering additional potential for the future. Lacks international experience and still needs that bit of polish to his game that will come as he continues to grow in his career. But definately among Nigeria's best.

7. James Okwuosa - The former Enugu Rangers captain has been in the picture since the friendly with South Africa last summer, but has not made enough appearances for the squad to leave us with an accurate impression of what he brings to the table. Still, Stephen Keshi must see something in his game to have kept him in the picture. Thus, he must not be ruled out of being among the centrebacks that Keshi has in mind as he focuses on his final preparations for Brazil.

8. Ebenezer Odunlami - Stephen Keshi has been grooming him in the antechamber of the Super Eagles for about a year now before his coming out party at the ongoing CHAN competition. And based on what we've seen so far, the year spent understudying those that were ahead of him in the pecking order has not been wasted. Indeed, despite the veteran presence of Egwuekwe (who has played well at CHAN) Odunlami has been our best defender. Hard to see how Keshi doesn't give him strong consideration.

9. Onyekachi Apam - Apam is the wildcard in this whole equation. We know that Keshi likes him. And he would add much needed experience to the team - not to mention that he could solve the Right Back problem as adequate cover for Ambrose. However, since returning from a potential career ending injury 2 years ago, Apam has only teased with his once sought after ability. And there are simply too many questions for any sane person to rely on him for the World Cup. Nonetheless, if Apam get's it together and is playing good football week in and week out heading into the Mundial, then Keshi might be tempted to take a look.

10. Dele Adeleye - Adeleye has been out of the picture since Keshi dropped him after the Super Eagles first set of friendlies under his charge (vs Botswana & Zambia). At the time, Keshi was unhappy with the performance of our centreback group (Yobo, Ambrose, Adeleye, Ukah, Ayila) and considering that poor defensive play was the bugaboo of Samson Siasia's Eagles, it was no surprise. Having said that, if we are talking about current form, Adeleye has been super consistent with Russian side Anzhi, and I expect that to continue in Greece (where he has moved to during the January transfer window). Now has he done enough to play his way back into reckoning? I suspect that he hasn't, but he has a few more months to convince Keshi otherwise.

11. Gege Soriola - Has not been heard from with respect to the national team since being called up for The Mandela Cup last summer. At the time, James Okwuosa was preferred over him and he seems to have fallen way down the pecking order. He is still well thought of, but appears to be firmly on the outside looking in.

12. Papa Idris - Has reportedly signed with Gombe United and for me his return to the Nigerian League is a positive development. Bad luck seems to have trailed him over the past year and a half, but his troubles may be at an end. It would seem to be too late in the day to be making a push for Brazil now, but if he gets his career back on track, it is likely that he will be called upon again at some point if Keshi remains in charge of the Super Eagles.

My picks: Omeruo, Oboabona, Otigba, Arokoyo, Egwuekwe, Odunlami.

Let these 6 players fight it out and may the best 4 go to Brazil.

Wild Cards: Yobo, Apam

If either of these two players hits form, Keshi will have a decision to make, but as of now my sense is that we should look to the future.
Well Written Piece Mystic...

REGARDING Your Wild Card Selection:

Apam: Just Hope this Player can get his Career Back on Track. Regarding Our National Team, Apam has done nothing in 2 yrs to even be consider for anything..

Yobo: After watching this player couple of times for Club, Yobo has got nothing on those been Picked at the Moment for the Nationat Team..Keshi in my Opinion has Created a Delima Only him can resolve regarding Yobo.. Just can't wait to see How all these Turns out....
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Odunlami and Oboabona have played together for three years. I believe they understand each other perfectly. Even exert is phenomenal at set pieces. Go to youtube and see how his header buries Enyimba.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

nzeogwu wrote:Odunlami and Oboabona have played together for three years. I believe they understand each other perfectly. Even exert is phenomenal at set pieces. Go to youtube and see how his header buries Enyimba.
Hmmmmmmm. Why is Kunle still playing in Naija?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

nzeogwu wrote:Odunlami and Oboabona have played together for three years. I believe they understand each other perfectly. Even exert is phenomenal at set pieces. Go to youtube and see how his header buries Enyimba.
Bros,
Odunlami has only been at Sunshine Stars for one season, not sure where you got that info from....
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Ayo, few nations can attest to having produced "world class" centre-halves, frankly put, till Nigeria takes ownership of the development of its talents, it will get no more than the graduates from a eurocentric curriculum that looks cautiously at the African, seeing more brawn than brain and seldom leadership.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

I have always liked Apam. Solid defender but sadly plagued by injuries
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Coach wrote:@Ayo, few nations can attest to having produced "world class" centre-halves, frankly put, till Nigeria takes ownership of the development of its talents, it will get no more than the graduates from a eurocentric curriculum that looks cautiously at the African, seeing more brawn than brain and seldom leadership.

Do we have the coaches to properly train them? You need proper coaches at youth academies to teach them things before bad habits develop.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The capital is there, as is the callousness, crookery and countless ashewo! 'Are'? Nonsense. Nigeria has no interest in the means of production, ever a consumer.
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] During the Confederation Cup, I remember Efan Ekoku saying that Nigeria has never produced two world class centrebacks at the same time

Ayo, u are my guy and a smart one at that, but what kills you atime is trying to make everything a 10 pointer. I mean u have 5/6 points that make sense, then you just throw some extra 5/4 points that don't make sense, or are continoius sentences or points. That withstanding I think we have the CBs on lock down, just a matter to picking the four we need and making their partnership blend
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

GUEST wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] ?
Ambrose Efe should Never be Consider as CD IN our National Team..A risk not worth Taken.. Keshi is Using Efe where the Player

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

Joseph Yobo have served the Nation very well and wishing him the Best in his Club Career..
Time for Keshi and His Team to move forward without this Player...Please don't sell me Experience here..
Play Kunle in one of our Friendly before the WC and see what he bring to the Team..
Thank you very much, my brother! At least, we still have some sensible fans in this forum.

Sometimes I wonder what Ayo been smoking. Did he not see what disaster Efe was when he played CB during Siasia's era :???: :roll:
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

Agents at work :rotf:
amos09
Egg
Egg

Post by amos09 »

Super Eagle wrote:
GUEST wrote:

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

Thank you very much, my brother! At least, we still have some sensible fans in this forum.

Sometimes I wonder what Ayo been smoking. Did he not see what disaster Efe was when he played CB during Siasia's era :???: :roll:
I did not see the disaster Efe was during Siasia era and I never knew Siasia was planning to drop him. It is just a figment of people's imagination. Efe is a super player for both club and country and WILL play ALL GAMES in Brazil barring any serious injury. Some of the so called fans must live with this!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Super Eagle wrote:
GUEST wrote:

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

I guess Celtic are mad for playing him as a centreback then? Some of self na real wa!

Ask yourself why Ashdod and Celtic have signed Efe, yet the likes of Odunlami and Egwuekwe are still plying their trade in the NFL. It is just jme but the likes of Omeruo, Oboabona and Ambrose have been snapped up by European clubs for a reason.
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

amos09 wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:
GUEST wrote:

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

I did not see the disaster Efe was during Siasia era and I never knew Siasia was planning to drop him. It is just a figment of people's imagination. Efe is a super player for both club and country and WILL play ALL GAMES in Brazil barring any serious injury. Some of the so called fans must live with this!
As a RB, Efe is well above average (sometimes even world class - like during the AFCON finals). Having said that, Efe can be a disaster as a CB....and I mean both for club and country! Go watch all his games in that position.

If you think that Yobo has problems with lack of concentration, then wait until you watch Efe play :taunt:
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:
GUEST wrote:

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

I guess Celtic are mad for playing him as a centreback then? Some of self na real wa!

Ask yourself why Ashdod and Celtic have signed Efe, yet the likes of Odunlami and Egwuekwe are still plying their trade in the NFL. It is just jme but the likes of Omeruo, Oboabona and Ambrose have been snapped up by European clubs for a reason.
Celtics has no other options. how many goals have Celtics conceeded because of his lack of concentration?

Again, Efe is not a bad player. But he occassionally gets carried away. I wouldn't wanna see him as a center back in the Super Eagles....RB is his best position.

O pari
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Hmmmmmmm. Why is Kunle still playing in Naija?
sometimes it all luck and exposure l, we never knew how good he was until now. thanks to CHAN and Keshi - now we can start the hype of getting him into Europe
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Super Eagle wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:
GUEST wrote:

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

Celtics has no other options. how many goals have Celtics conceeded because of his lack of concentration?

Again, Efe is not a bad player. But he occassionally gets carried away. I wouldn't wanna see him as a center back in the Super Eagles....RB is his best position.

O pari
Could you do me a favor and provide the stats on this bold claim. I am a fan of Efe and have seen him go from the MOM to DOM and back to MOM all in a space of a single game. He needs consistency but a bad CB he is not.
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

Considering time factor, including submissions above, there are realistically only six CBs - Omeruo, Oboabona, Odunlami, Ekwueke, Yobo and Adeleye, in contention for Keshi to choose from.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Super Eagle wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:
GUEST wrote:

1. Goffrey Oboabona..
2. Kenneth Omeruo..
3. Azuibuiike Egwueke.
4. Kunle Odunlami..

O pari

What do you mean by Celtic has no other options? All they have to do is delve into the transfer market.