Hmmm. Rumour - Agbim, Egwuekwe and Kwambe to be axed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Hmmm. Rumour - Agbim, Egwuekwe and Kwambe to be axed

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Except a miracle happens, CHAN Eagles’ skipper, Chigozie Agbim may not be on the plane to Brazil when the Super Eagles fly out for football’s biggest showpiece, FIFA World Cup finals and this is authoritative.

An impeccable source in the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, confided in Pilot Sports yesterday key members of the technical committee are unanimous that the trio of Agbim, Solomon Kwande and Azubuike Egwekwe are not good enough for the Mundial and therefore should be dropped from list of home-based players being considered by Stephen Keshi.

Agbim who overcame a shaky start at the recently concluded African Championship finals where he let in two goals in Nigeria’s opening match against Mali to lead the country to a third-placed finish has remained Keshi’s number three goalkeeper.

Our correspondent gathered that if Keshi present Agbim for the World Cup, it would out rightly be rejected by the committee going by popular opinion by the country’s football followers.

Whereas the NFF believes the Super Eagles need a capable number three, Keshi is said to be sticking with Agbim for Brazil 2014.

Only this week, Agbim was released from his contract by club side Enugu Rangers who failed to include him in their programme for the year after he was declared surplus to requirements at the end of his one-year contract came to an end.

Agbim moved from Warri Wolves to the Flying Antelopes on loan last year after the Africa Cup of Nations.
Kwambe is on trial with MLS team Vancouver Whitecaps FC while Egwekwe is presently on trial with South African club, Bidvest Wits

Similarly, Lukman Haruna and Ikechukwu Uche are to be recalled to the Super Eagles ahead of the World Cup in Brazil, according to MTNFootball.

And both players could well get their chance as early as next month’s pre-World Cup friendly against Mexico in the USA.

Dynamo Kiev midfielder Haruna has been superb for his Ukrainian club after a recent injury setback, while Villarreal striker Uche has scored 12 goals in La Liga.

However, it is left to be seen whether a hamstring injury suffered by Uche last week may not stop him from the Mexico match.

Haruna last played for Nigeria at the 2010 World Cup, while Uche has not been involved with the national team since he bombed at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.

The Eagles are due to resume training camp by the end of the month ahead of the friendly against Mexico on March 5.

- See more at: http://nigerianpilot.com/nff-axes-agbim ... u1BWf.dpuf
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Hmmm. Rumour - Agbim, Egwuekwe and Kwambe to be axed

Post by Lolly »

I still think that Agbim and Egwueke need to be given a few more opportunities between now and the final list. Akpeyi, Thomas, Odunami still need to play friendlies before we can dump th others.

I won't cry over Kwanbe. Once he joins the foreign legion, then mission accomplished. No more need for him in SE for now.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
yannick
Egg
Egg

Post by yannick »

Lolly wrote:I still think that Agbim and Egwueke need to be given a few more opportunities between now and the final list. Akpeyi, Thomas, Odunami still need to play friendlies before we can dump th others.

I won't cry over Kwanbe. Once he joins the foreign legion, then mission accomplished. No more need for him in SE for now.
unfortunately Odunlami seems to have edged Egwueke out of the equation...the CHAN more or less exposed the many weaknesses in Azubuike.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Still not sure what Egwueke did wrong in CHAN, and I'll take this with a teaspoon of salt until Keshi is directly quoted on this.

I'll shed no tears for Agbim. He has never looked steady between the sticks for the Eagles, and matter just came to a head in CHAN.

Kwambe was poor in CHAN, but until the possible replacements (Otigba, Balogun etc) come in and prove to be capable, I think Keshi would still keep him around as Efe's backup.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Not surprising..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

truetalk wrote:Still not sure what Egwueke did wrong in CHAN, and I'll take this with a teaspoon of salt until Keshi is directly quoted on this.
I'm not sure why the verdict on Egwu is so polarised. Half say he did very well, the other half say he was a let down. I don't know what to think cos I saw little or nothing of the tournament.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
truetalk wrote:Still not sure what Egwueke did wrong in CHAN, and I'll take this with a teaspoon of salt until Keshi is directly quoted on this.
I'm not sure why the verdict on Egwu is so polarised. Half say he did very well, the other half say he was a let down. I don't know what to think cos I saw little or nothing of the tournament.
...money talks and moves things in Nigeria even when the evidence is out in the open.
Egwueke was "a okay" at CHAN and should be considered not dumped thru rumors.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Not surprised about azubike. I haven't been impressed. The game vs Spain, Ethopia and Italy.hopefully, quality replaces all 3
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Journalist at it Again...No Rumor here Kinfe

Egwueke will make that Team to Brazil..

Not a Fan of Agbim...Club Footballing will determine his Fate..
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

Agbim and Egwuekwe are absolutely junk players.
As for Egwuekwe, he's too slow-footed to contend with the likes of Messi, Aguero or even Bosnian striker (Edin Dzeko) at the world cup. He will be left for dead on a counter attack.
Agbim? The less said, the better.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

I'll shed no tears for Agbim. He has never looked steady between the sticks for the Eagles, and matter just came to a head in CHAN.

Kwambe was poor in CHAN, but until the possible replacements (Otigba, Balogun etc) come in and prove to be capable, I think Keshi would still keep him around as Efe's backup.
:agree: i thought he was ok at the CHAN
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Azubuike Egwuekwe will be in Brazil.
yeye
Egg
Egg

Post by yeye »

Mudi E wrote:Agbim and Egwuekwe are absolutely junk players.
As for Egwuekwe, he's too slow-footed to contend with the likes of Messi, Aguero or even Bosnian striker (Edin Dzeko) at the world cup. He will be left for dead on a counter attack.
I wouldn't go as far as calling hardworking professionals "junk" but you are correct that Messi and Aguero will run circles around Zuby. I still have scary flashes of Balotelli turning a statuesque SE CB inside out like a recycled polythene bag in the Italy friendly.

Scouting opposition players and exploiting their weaknesses is a major aspect of the international game, and the Eagles are just coming around to the concept of "help" defense.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

None of these players are good enough

Props to the NFF

There are still others who need to be permanently discarded

Oduamadi, Mba, Francis
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

agents at work :boo:
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

yeye wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as calling hardworking professionals "junk" but you are correct that Messi and Aguero will run circles around Zuby. I still have scary flashes of Balotelli turning a statuesque SE CB inside out like a recycled polythene bag in the Italy friendly.

Scouting opposition players and exploiting their weaknesses is a major aspect of the international game, and the Eagles are just coming around to the concept of "help" defense.
Abegi! you people just tend to blow up rubbish. Egwuekwe gambled and over commited in going for that tackle and Balotelli spun around him. It was a simple mistake! How do you judge the kid's abilities based on one move against a world class stiker who has scored against defenders more experienced than him? Did canavarro become a useless player after Ike Uche ghosted past him against Madrid a few years back? As for this brouhaha over his lack of pace, the strength of a CB has more to do with positioning timing and accurately reading angles and trajectories and not pace. How many of the world class CB are fast? how fast is John Terry? Mertersacker etc? Egwuekwe is 2 times faster than both of them. Egwuekwe albeit a bit raw, is a solid defender, he is solid in the air and will make a good back up CB for us.

Mschewwww abegi!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Goldleaf wrote:Azubuike Egwuekwe will be in Brazil.
Solomon Kwambe, Emeka Eze, Gambo Mohammed, Agbim were in the Confed Cup squad.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Except a miracle happens, CHAN Eagles’ skipper, Chigozie Agbim may not be on the plane to Brazil

Agbim has remained Keshi’s number three goalkeeper.

if Keshi present Agbim for the World Cup, it would out rightly be rejected by the committee

Keshi is said to be sticking with Agbim for Brazil 2014
CONJECTURES
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Godfather wrote:agents at work :boo:
The guys didn't do themselves any favours with their performances. Agents will definitely exploiting this. They themselves were most likely pushed in by agents.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Goldleaf wrote:Azubuike Egwuekwe will be in Brazil.
:agree:

valachi
Egg
Egg

Post by valachi »

Azubuike Egwuekwe is a good player that is not good enough for the Eagles at the present time, I watched all his SE games prior to CHAN and all of the CHAN matches. He is very slow for a central defender that will have to cover down on full back, his position is awful , Odunlami did all the dirty work for him. But to be fair, marmoth presence is intimidating and his air poweress is awesome. BUt for a world Cup defender, Aguero will make him cry if we make that mistake. Anyone go back and watch Omeruo, very quick even though he is still lerning as well, but he covers well for his full back and has a great understanding with his partner in crime.
IN SIAONE WE TRUST. BONAFIDE SE COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
brigadoon
Egg
Egg

Post by brigadoon »

Egwueke will be on the plane to Brazil. Who is the NFF technical committee to tell Keshi who he can and cannot pick for the World Cup? Abi them go resign if the team they pick for him don't perform at the World Cup? Nonsense naija journalists and their rumor mongering.
yeye
Egg
Egg

Post by yeye »

metalalloy wrote:
yeye wrote:

Abegi! you people just tend to blow up rubbish. Egwuekwe gambled and over commited in going for that tackle and Balotelli spun around him. It was a simple mistake! How do you judge the kid's abilities based on one move against a world class stiker who has scored against defenders more experienced than him? Did canavarro become a useless player after Ike Uche ghosted past him against Madrid a few years back? As for this brouhaha over his lack of pace, the strength of a CB has more to do with positioning timing and accurately reading angles and trajectories and not pace. How many of the world class CB are fast? how fast is John Terry? Mertersacker etc? Egwuekwe is 2 times faster than both of them. Egwuekwe albeit a bit raw, is a solid defender, he is solid in the air and will make a good back up CB for us.

Mschewwww abegi!
Not judging him based on a single mistake, I said the image of him getting turned remains in my mind. I certainly acknowledge that these guys are working hard to get better everyday ( a lesson we all try to teach our kids). I can list all the positives that I have observed in Zuby's game but that is not the thrust of this particular thread. Skillful players will drive directly at him with varying degrees of success.

My point is nobody is perfect and the opposition will exploit any "perceived" weaknesses unless we are able to tactically mask them. In my limited knowledge of football tactics, you may be able to mask lack of speed with help defense.