10 things Nigeria needs to do before March 25

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 things Nigeria needs to do before March 25

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Once again, Nigeria is sleep walking towards another World Cup catastrophe. No one appears to be payting any notice and then all of a sudden, come the eve of the Mundial, a great panic will begin.

Simply put, if Nigeria is going to have any impact in 2006, the hard work needs to begin now. I personally believe that if most of the work is not done between now and when the qualifiers start on March 25, it will be too late and once again Nigeria will have missed the groovy train.

We all appear to have forgotten how the last minute panic that took place before the last two World Cups led to problems. In 1998 and 2002, the national team coaches were appointed just months before the tournament and began building a squad at the last minute.

I for one fear that we will be in that situation again this time around. One must give Christian Chukwu credit for actually starting the rebuilding programme in 2002. I for one duff my hat to him for bringing several newcomers into the team such as Joe Enakarhire, Seyi Olajengbesi and Seyi Olofinjana.

Other new players like Chris Obodo, Obafemi Martins, Gabriel Melkham and Ifeanyi Ekwueme have come into the team but their presence is more to do with European profiles. However, we are standing of the verge opf the precipice and all that hard work looks like it wil be undone.

We need to do the folowing immediately:

(1) Appoint an NFF seceratry general who understands the concept of raising private money to fund the organisation.
(2) Appoint a coach who is going to take us to Germany. We all know that CCC has never claimed he is up to the job
(3) Over the summer breeak, introduce a few new players into the team such as Yusuf Atanda, Solomon Okoronkwo and Mikhael Obi
(4) Begin work on finding a genuine replacement for JJ. I see him coming off towards the end of most games in Germany if we qualify
(5) Appoint a goalkeeping coach straight away. We all talk about crosses and penalties but our goalies are bad at it because they are not taught the basics.
(6) Make sure that no Fifa window is wasted between now and the World Cup
(7) Make it clear to old timers like Nwankwo Kanu and Garba Lawal that unfortunately, their services are no longer needed. We thank them for their past service but sadly, they are now past it.
(8) Instil a sense of discipline in the camp. Our boys have to be told when they cross the line. Anyone who absents himself from a friendly in future, should be suspended.
(9) Renegotiate that deal with Adidas. We are going nowhere with the current one.
(10) Initiate a marketing programme to raise funds over the long term to fund the NFF and wean it off the government.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Re: 10 things Nigeria needs to do before March 25

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

(1) Appoint an NFF seceratry general who understands the concept of raising private money to fund the organisation.
(2) Appoint a coach who is going to take us to Germany. We all know that CCC has never claimed he is up to the job
(3) Over the summer breeak, introduce a few new players into the team such as Yusuf Atanda, Solomon Okoronkwo and Mikhael Obi
(4) Begin work on finding a genuine replacement for JJ. I see him coming off towards the end of most games in Germany if we qualify
(5) Appoint a goalkeeping coach straight away. We all talk about crosses and penalties but our goalies are bad at it because they are not taught the basics.
(7) Make it clear to old timers like Nwankwo Kanu and Garba Lawal that unfortunately, their services are no longer needed. We thank them for their past service but sadly, they are now past it.
(8) Instil a sense of discipline in the camp. Our boys have to be told when they cross the line. Anyone who absents himself from a friendly in future, should be suspended.
(9) Renegotiate that deal with Adidas. We are going nowhere with the current one.
(10) Initiate a marketing programme to raise funds over the long term to fund the NFF and wean it off the government.
All these in less than 60 days. Haba, Ayo, let's be realistic !! Truly, all is not well in the glass house. But those problems can not be fixed in less than 60 days. It will take a man with vision and minimum of 2 years to resolve some of those things you mentioned.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

word Ayo. I agree with you on all fronts

funily enugh I read in a media that Garba Lawal stating his readiness to play the Gabon Match, next it will be Kanu and Ekwueme....

Pls tell those guys to rest and let's build our team.

I also noticed that many teams are rebuilding with younger guys, Argies, Germany, Holland, England, etc The Saviolas, Enze, Wright-phillips, rooney etc. and by next WC these young chaps would be so matured and confident and they'll be on fire.

It's an irony that as other countries are moving ahead, we are simpkly reversing
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

mapet wrote:word Ayo. I agree with you on all fronts

funily enugh I read in a media that Garba Lawal stating his readiness to play the Gabon Match, next it will be Kanu and Ekwueme....

Pls tell those guys to rest and let's build our team.

I also noticed that many teams are rebuilding with younger guys, Argies, Germany, Holland, England, etc The Saviolas, Enze, Wright-phillips, rooney etc. and by next WC these young chaps would be so matured and confident and they'll be on fire.

It's an irony that as other countries are moving ahead, we are simpkly reversing
If the coach keeps inviting them, why not.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Mr. 10 pointer baba! :lol:
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Why do we still think the match is on March 25? Am I missing something here? The date CAF has on their website is wrong imho. I believe BBC has the right one....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 300721.stm

Our match agains Gabon will be on Saturday March 26, 2005.
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Let's be honest here, the only thing the NFA will do is sit on their lazy asses and do nothing until 1 or 2 weeks to the WCQ.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Ayo,may I take the liberty of adding an 11th point?

11.This time,Ayo Akinfe is right on all points! :)
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Toxic, please tell me which of these is not implentable over the next 60 days. Please tell me why it should take two years to appoint a new coach! Haba, Toxic!!!
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Toxic, please tell me which of these is not implentable over the next 60 days. Please tell me why it should take two years to appoint a new coach! Haba, Toxic!!!
If time permits, I will break it down for you. But not tonight !
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Toxicarrow wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Toxic, please tell me which of these is not implentable over the next 60 days. Please tell me why it should take two years to appoint a new coach! Haba, Toxic!!!
Take your time my broda but I hope it will not take you two years o!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...name Odegbami as coach...he needs the money bad...
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

( Instil a sense of discipline in the camp. Our boys have to be told when they cross the line. Anyone who absents himself from a friendly in future, should be suspended.
Hopefully you will not come here defending any your SE friends that get suspend for absenting themselves from friendlies.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

azuka wrote:
( Instil a sense of discipline in the camp. Our boys have to be told when they cross the line. Anyone who absents himself from a friendly in future, should be suspended.
Hopefully you will not come here defending any your SE friends that get suspend for absenting themselves from friendlies.
We have to ask ourselves why this is happening. No other African country has this problem at the moment.
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Make una leave Kanu alone! Your posts ain't gonna help any cause! CCC doesn't read your posts!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

lowzeewee wrote:Make una leave Kanu alone! Your posts ain't gonna help any cause! CCC doesn't read your posts!
Those in power do not take heed of all what we write about the effects of corruption either. Maybe we should stop mentioning that too.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Once again, Nigeria is sleep walking towards another World Cup catastrophe. No one appears to be payting any notice and then all of a sudden, come the eve of the Mundial, a great panic will begin.

Simply put, if Nigeria is going to have any impact in 2006, the hard work needs to begin now. I personally believe that if most of the work is not done between now and when the qualifiers start on March 25, it will be too late and once again Nigeria will have missed the groovy train.

We all appear to have forgotten how the last minute panic that took place before the last two World Cups led to problems. In 1998 and 2002, the national team coaches were appointed just months before the tournament and began building a squad at the last minute.

I for one fear that we will be in that situation again this time around. One must give Christian Chukwu credit for actually starting the rebuilding programme in 2002. I for one duff my hat to him for bringing several newcomers into the team such as Joe Enakarhire, Seyi Olajengbesi and Seyi Olofinjana.

Other new players like Chris Obodo, Obafemi Martins, Gabriel Melkham and Ifeanyi Ekwueme have come into the team but their presence is more to do with European profiles. However, we are standing of the verge opf the precipice and all that hard work looks like it wil be undone.

..for a change..I gree wiff U...and thanks for not tossing an Anti-Yak memorandum in there :P

Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Ayo, it is one thing to appoint a SG that understands the concept of raising private money to fund the organization. It is another thing for him to be able to raise the funds. What if the private organizations and individuals are not willing to throw their money on the NFA? Does that mean that the SG lacked the expertise to do so? More so, you can raise the fund, but if the funds are not used for proper soccer development; then we are back in the same circle. Let's call a spade a spade...every SG that has appointed in the last 20 years or more knows the concept of raising private funds. But the basic problem is that the funds received from private groups, FIFA, CAF and federal government are chanelled to 'private pockets' and other areas that failed to yield dividends. In addition, the structure in which SG and other staffs of NFA currently operate does provide an avenue for 'mismanagement' and etal. So bringing in the man with marketing skill will not solve the problem fully....The whole NFA working environment needs total overhaul...and a leadership with vision and interests of Nigerian football at heart.
Granted CCC has not fully stamped his authority on the job (and has also publicly admitted to play a second-fiddle role if any FC is hired), this does not necessarily indicate that a new coach that we hire between now and Germany 2006 might make a significant difference. Right now, all is about probability (if I might take it to the extreme length , it is essentially 'gambling'). Examples/Lessons from the past in this area include: (1) Bora joined the SE for the France 98. But the results were not too good. Nigeria's worst defeats in the WC matches was recorded in France 98 under Bora (4-1 lost to Denmark), (2) After Onigbinde successfully brought back Eagles to the soccer map and a silver medal in 84 ANC, he was replaced with the late Chris Udemezue and Patrick Ekeji who were to lead Eagles through Mexico 86 WC and ANC 86 qualifiers....You know what happenned. The team failed woefully and missed those tournaments (3) Changes made three month to the WC 2002 also was not successful. (4) Ikhana's taking over Olympic team from Musa at the last stage of qualifying sseries did not materialize Olympic ticket (5) Amodu took over Esu's job at Shooting in the semi-final of 1996 Champions Cup brought tears and sorrow to Oluyole Warriors and Nigerian fans. Once again, Zamalek 'stole' the cup from us again !
There is no problem with that.
I agree !
While this is vital, will the ego of our players allow them to listen to the coach? Note, Westerhof hired a goalkeeper's trainer in ANC 94 and WC 94...But was there an improvement in that area in those two tournaments? Go check the tapes and draw your own conclusions....
okay !
I reserve my comment on this one till further notice.
No doubt about that !
So true....but you have to remember that some Nigerians (and possibly one or two of them are actually here in our midst-- don't ask me who are they. I leave that for you to figure out) have gotten their 'own cuts' out of the deal. God have mercy on us if we are free from the shackles of ADIDAS and our 'chop-I-chop my own shares of the national cake' !
No problem with this......But it does not happen overnight ! Given the history and past experiences, it will take time to build trust and confidence in such marketing programme.
Last edited by Toxicarrow on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
Take your time my broda but I hope it will not take you two years o!
You got the response now...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ayo, it is one thing to appoint a SG that understands the concept of raising private money to fund the organization. it is another thing for him to be able to raise the funds. What if the private organizations and individuals are not willing to throw their money on the NFA? Does that mean that the SG lacked the expertise to do so? More so, you can raise the fund, but if the funds are not used for proper soccer development; then we are back in the same circle. That's call a spade a spade...every SG that has appointed in the last 20 years or more knows the concept of raising private funds.

Please tell me you are joking. This is comical.

Let me make it crystal clear to you. Our NFA relies totally on the sports ministry for funds. Over the last 20 years, every secretary general has seen the ministry as his source of revenue and believes that any extra cash that comes in from Fifa or private bodies is just a bonus for them to chop.

Did you not notice that when the Falcons rebelled in South Africa, the excuse given was that the ministry did not release funds? Have you ever heard an NFA secretary general say they cannot afford a project because they cannmot raise enough private capital or because they have failed to attract sponsors.

I can tell you now that the NFA has not chased up the option of finding private sponsors. In the cases of Globalcom, Dangote, Coca Cola, MTN etc, it has been these companies that have approached the NFA and not the other way round.

When we were due to fly to Gabon and the ministry did not give Ogunjobi any money, he flew to Port Harcourt to beg Peter Odili to sponsor the team. Take it or leave it but our NFA is totally reliant on the government.

The concept of raising private funds is totally alien to them. Ogunjobi went on AIT during the NFF debate to publicly say that Nigerian football cannot survive without government funding. Believe you me, the option of private funds has never been pursued.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Let me make it crystal clear to you. Our NFA relies totally on the sports ministry for funds. Over the last 20 years, every secretary general has seen the ministry as his source of revenue and believes that [/b]any extra cash that comes in from Fifa or private bodies is just a bonus for them to chop.[/b]
You are now talking ! NFA is tied to the apron of the Sport Ministry. As a result, the NFA SGs (whether they skilled in marketing or not ) do not have to source for external fund. Note, in 1994, Chief Femi Olukanmi and segun Odegbami did their best to the marketing department get off the ground and become viable. But the structure in which they work never allow that dream to come true. In honesty, the marketing skills of SG will be seen when NFA becomes an independent body (free from absolute government control).
Did you not notice that when the Falcons rebelled in South Africa, the excuse given was that the ministry did not release funds? Have you ever heard an NFA secretary general say they cannot afford a project because they cannmot raise enough private capital or because they have failed to attract sponsors.
They can't raise private fund in this case because of their past records. That's the fact. Ask the likes of Femi Olukanmi, Chief N.O. idowu and others how much NFA and the sport ministry owe them?

I
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Toxic, NONE of our SG's over the last 20 years understands the concept of private marketing. Private sponsors want to know what bankroling the NFA gives them.

Do you think the NFA has a maerketing guide as to what if offers private sponsors? I wait to see who is apppointed SG before getting more involved in this.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Toxic, NONE of our SG's over the last 20 years understands the concept of private marketing. Private sponsors want to know what bankroling the NFA gives them.

Do you think the NFA has a maerketing guide as to what if offers private sponsors? I wait to see who is apppointed SG before getting more involved in this.

AYO: Does that mean that Ogunjobi got straight 'Fs' in all the business/marketing courses that he took at Howard University (or whatever school in America he attended) for his MBA?

Anyways, that apart, I will repeat this: it is not that NFA SGs that we have had in the last 20 years or more lack(ed) marketing skills. It is just that the environment in which they work does not require them to apply their business and marketing skills to full core. Na so so 'FG funding' that they depended on. Remember, in principle, NFA is technically a government parastal. Henceforth, they are mere dancing to the tune to their bosses in the political corridor. Likewise, 'mago mago' and 'egunje' also are factors that they have rendered things useless !

That being said, why not spend time to research the tenure of Sunny Dakaro and his 'one-man' show at NFA?
Last edited by Toxicarrow on Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.