Warri Wolves Sub keeper Akpeyi challenges Agbim for WC spot

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oglex30
Egg
Egg
Warri Wolves Sub keeper Akpeyi challenges Agbim for WC spot

Post by oglex30 »

Warri Wolves goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi will provide competition for Gombe United's Chigozie Agbim when Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi names his preliminary squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Keshi is scheduled to meet with the NFF Technical Committee on Tuesday in Abuja where he will present and defend his selections.

Four goalkeepers are expected to be named in that selection, and KickOffNigeria.com understands that Akpeyi, who is Okiemute Odah's deputy at Wolves, will join Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide and Agbim.

The 27 year-old former junior international has played two games in the 7-week old Nigeria Premier League, both times coming as a result of suspension to Odah.

Agbim, 29, captain of the Super Eagles B side, was widely criticized for what was considered a shaky performance at the African Nations Championship in South Africa in February.

The goalie received the backing of Keshi but will now have to fight off competition from Akpeyi to make the trip to Brazil.

http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/mobile/ne ... zie-agbim-

Keshi baffles me sometimes , how do you go invite a substitute keeper in NPL that hasn't played that many games to come and challenge Agbim? Don't we have better keepers than him if he is really serious at challenging Agbim? Even in the NPL don't we have better keepers than a substitute keeper.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Warri Wolves Sub keeper Akpeyi challenges Agbim for WC s

Post by bushboy »

My broda, make we just siddon dey look..
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

oglex30 wrote:Warri Wolves goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi will provide competition for Gombe United's Chigozie Agbim when Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi names his preliminary squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Keshi is scheduled to meet with the NFF Technical Committee on Tuesday in Abuja where he will present and defend his selections.

Four goalkeepers are expected to be named in that selection, and KickOffNigeria.com understands that Akpeyi, who is Okiemute Odah's deputy at Wolves, will join Vincent Enyeama, Austin Ejide and Agbim.

The 27 year-old former junior international has played two games in the 7-week old Nigeria Premier League, both times coming as a result of suspension to Odah.

Agbim, 29, captain of the Super Eagles B side, was widely criticized for what was considered a shaky performance at the African Nations Championship in South Africa in February.

The goalie received the backing of Keshi but will now have to fight off competition from Akpeyi to make the trip to Brazil.

Keshi baffles me sometimes , how do you go invite a substitute keeper in NPL that hasn't played that many games to come and challenge Agbim? Don't we have better keepers than him if he is really serious at challenging Agbim? Even in the NPL don't we have better keepers than a substitute keeper.

Nothing baffling here. Akpeyi has been in the national team setup under Keshi and had been Heartland's number 1 for a number of years prior to the move to Warri Wolves at the beginning of the 2014 season. I would not expect Keshi to drop him under the circumstances. Furthermore, despite the wording of the article, I do not expect Akpeyi to seriously challenge Agbim. I think that the pecking order in the Super Eagles with respect to goalkeeper is clearly established with Enyeama as the numero uno, Ejide as his backup and Agbim as the third goalkeeper. Akpeyi has consistently been the fourth guy that Keshi has kept in the mix and this order is unlikely to change until after the World Cup.

By the way, I am not saying that I necessarily agree with Keshi's pecking order (I am on record saying that Carl Ikeme should be in the mix). However, I do not find it baffling, and absent Ikeme I do not have any major qualms if these are indeed the 4 goalkeepers that are in Keshi's plans.
oglex30
Egg
Egg

Post by oglex30 »

mystic wrote:
oglex30 wrote:Warri Wolves goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi will provide competition for Gombe United's Chigozie Agbim when Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi names his preliminary squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Nothing baffling here. Akpeyi has been in the national team setup under Keshi and had been Heartland's number 1 for a number of years prior to the move to Warri Wolves at the beginning of the 2014 season. I would not expect Keshi to drop him under the circumstances. Furthermore, despite the wording of the article, I do not expect Akpeyi to seriously challenge Agbim. I think that the pecking order in the Super Eagles with respect to goalkeeper is clearly established with Enyeama as the numero uno, Ejide as his backup and Agbim as the third goalkeeper. Akpeyi has consistently been the fourth guy that Keshi has kept in the mix and this order is unlikely to change until after the World Cup.

By the way, I am not saying that I necessarily agree with Keshi's pecking order (I am on record saying that Carl Ikeme should be in the mix). However, I do not find it baffling, and absent Ikeme I do not have any major qualms if these are indeed the 4 goalkeepers that are in Keshi's plans.
That's fine, I just think if Keshi has any concerns about Agbim and he really wants to get someone to challenge him, then lets go get Carl or someone else in the NPL. I just don't believe Akpeyi is the 4th best keeper out there. Now if he is already set a the keeper position then why waste space with calling this guy when he could use that spot to try out other players in other areas of need.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

oglex30 wrote:
mystic wrote:

That's fine, I just think if Keshi has any concerns about Agbim and he really wants to get someone to challenge him, then lets go get Carl or someone else in the NPL. I just don't believe Akpeyi is the 4th best keeper out there. Now if he is already set a the keeper position then why waste space with calling this guy when he could use that spot to try out other players in other areas of need.

Agreed with You there..
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Keshi makes himself impossible to defend many times. To call up a 2nd choice goalie in the Nigerian Local League to fight for a spot for the WC leaves me with only one conclusion: He's (Keshi) is as corrupt as the rest of them.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
oglex30
Egg
Egg

Post by oglex30 »

deanotito wrote:Keshi makes himself impossible to defend many times. To call up a 2nd choice goalie in the Nigerian Local League to fight for a spot for the WC leaves me with only one conclusion: He's (Keshi) is as corrupt as the rest of them.
I won't go that far as saying corrupt but it's surprises me how he wants one to take him seriously when he pulls something like this. Me I just think it's a waste of a spot, when we have bigger needs.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

oglex30 wrote:
mystic wrote:

I agree with you about Ikeme. On another NPL goalkeeper, Keshi has given a lot of the better NPL goalkeepers a chance but for whatever reason, he has not thought that they were good enough.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I'm also very suprised that Odah, Thomas, and the pillars goalie who are recognized by most as the best goalies in the NPL have never been invited by Keshi.
patrick
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by patrick »

Keshi Set For Battle Over World Cup List
: Apr 22, 2014

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi will present and defend his provisional list for the 2014 World Cup before the Nigeria Football Federation technical committee today in Abuja.

Keshi still has until June 2 to submit his final 23-man squad to FIFA, but he is scheduled to present a list of 35 to the NFF committee today from which the final squad will be selected. The 35 will be tested during a series of warm-up friendlies.

There have been reports of a rift between Keshi and members of the committee lately and sparks are expected to fly if the former Nigeria captain includes – or excludes in some cases – certain players in his list.

One of such players is goalkeeper Chigozie Agbim, who is seen as a Keshi favourite even when technical committee members feel he is not up to national team standards.

Complete Sports learnt that the committee will reject Agbim if he is included in the list, as the Gombe United keeper has not convinced them in Super Eagles colours.

Indeed Keshi wanted to take Agbim to the friendly with Mexico in the USA, but the committee struck out the name and the coach had to settle for only Vincent Enyeama and Austin Ejike. They are ready to reject the home-based Eagles captain again.

Another player that could cause friction during the squad presentation is Schalke’s Chinedu Obasi if he is not included by Keshi. It is not clear if the coach is keen on the forward or not, but technical committee chairman Chris Green is a big admirer.

Green met with Obasi in Germany and saw him in action in a Bundesliga game in which the Beijing 2008 silver medallist was impressive. Green would like Obasi to be given a chance at least in the provisional squad.

Meanwhile, Complete Sports has gathered that Eagles outcast Osaze Odemwingie will be included in the list after his apology following an ill-advised Twitter rant. However, Villarreal striker IK Uche and West Brom striker Victor Anichebe are expected to be dropped.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ne ... d-cup-list
When people try to use you to gain relevance, just ignore them. It pains them even more
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

olu wrote:I'm also very suprised that Odah, Thomas, and the pillars goalie who are recognized by most as the best goalies in the NPL have never been invited by Keshi.

They have been invited in the past but not retained.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I have not criticized Keshi for a while now. But I have to say I don't agree with his handling of the goalkeeping position. The likes of Thomas and Daniel should be in the team over Akpeyi and Agbim. Akpeyi is a backup at his club, Agbim was let go by Rangers.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Lets call a spade a spade. The only way an Akpeyi makes the WC list is if he settled somebody
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

deanotito wrote:Lets call a spade a spade. The only way an Akpeyi makes the WC list is if he settled somebody

Hmmmmmmmmm!
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

ohenhen1 wrote:I have not criticized Keshi for a while now. But I have to say I don't agree with his handling of the goalkeeping position. The likes of Thomas and Daniel should be in the team over Akpeyi and Agbim. Akpeyi is a backup at his club, Agbim was let go by Rangers.
Exactly!
Some of Keshi's decisions are just not defendable even for his biggest worshipers.
They can ignore it but they will not be able to defend it!
Choosing a 2nd choice goalkeeper in the NPL ahead of other promising regular starter just doesn't make sense and doesn't follow any principle of merit and quality.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Chingo Bling
Egg
Egg

Post by Chingo Bling »

DAgrin wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I have not criticized Keshi for a while now. But I have to say I don't agree with his handling of the goalkeeping position. The likes of Thomas and Daniel should be in the team over Akpeyi and Agbim. Akpeyi is a backup at his club, Agbim was let go by Rangers.
Exactly!
Some of Keshi's decisions are just not defendable even for his biggest worshipers.
Choosing a 2nd choice goalkeeper in the NPL ahead of other promising regular starter just doesn't make sense and doesn't follow any principle of merit and quality.
Is it any less baffling than selecting Ameobi, 4th choice striker ahead of other promising regular starters?
Agbim is cr@p. we all saw that at CHAN. Why Keshi sticks with him only Keshi knows.
Im sure Ike and Amo are just as baffled.
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Chingo Bling wrote:
DAgrin wrote:
Exactly!
Is it any less baffling than selecting Ameobi, 4th choice striker ahead of other promising regular starters?
Agbim is cr@p. we all saw that at CHAN. Why Keshi sticks with him only Keshi knows.
Im sure Ike and Amo are just as baffled.
Ameobi has played much more games in a much more competive league.
How can you compare his situation with Agbim's.
Ameobi is experienced and still hungry to shine for the SE and has proven against world class oppositions that he can perform on the highest level unlike Agbim and Akpeyi.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

GUEST wrote:
deanotito wrote:Lets call a spade a spade. The only way an Akpeyi makes the WC list is if he settled somebody

Hmmmmmmmmm!
I love my team and I want to fully support them and Keshi, but no matter what the team achieves in the WC, if corruption in the SE gets to the level of the rest of Nigeria, our senior national team is doomed.

In football, because of the transparency having access to European football gives us, instantaneous results-driven feedback, and the relative honesty of Senior National Team coaches, we've been spared some of the more insane corrupt experiences that Nigeria undergoes. However, it takes only a determined coach to destroy those very foundations.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

DAgrin wrote:
Exactly!
Where exactly are you guys getting the information that Akpeyi is the second choice goalie at Warri Wolves? Please one would need evidence on this. Here is what I do know:

1. Akpeyi moved just a month or two or two ago to Wolves from Heartland in a disputed transfer that Heartland vowed to disallow. This of course means that a transfer fee may not have been settled for Akpeyi to start for Wolves at the beginning of the league.

2. Just last week Akpeyi was the starting goalie at Wolves and Odah was available but listed as an unused sub!

To be frank, not that the above really matters but it is important not to simply distribute false information and pass them as if unquestionably true. Some of the guys who play for the B team rarely appeared for their local clubs if involved in recent transfers because they were not duly cleared by their new clubs. That was the situation for both Agbim and Mba last year with Rangers. Would that be justification to claim that they were not starters at Rangers? I don't think so… Importantly, note that some of these players when transferred may not be registered for a particular competition and thus will not be suited up …. The claim that Femi Thomas is unquestionably Nigeria's best is in the eye of the beholder. The same Thomas was vilified and fingered as the culprit for Enyimba's elimination from the continental cup competition this year and cost a coach his job. Femi Thomas is a god goalkeeper, no bout but the claim that he is unquestionably the best is mere opinion and obviously the technical crew for the B National does not agree with that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Below is yet another Warri Wolves game with Akpeyi as starter. Lets stick to truths.
Salami’s Stunner Shatters Nembe City’s Dream First Win
http://www.lmc-ng.org/index.php/news-ce ... -first-win

Struggling Glo Premier League side, Nembe City were looking to secure their first win of the season until Home-based Super Eagle forward, Gbolahan Salami unleashed a 25 yard stunner that ended the rescheduled Match Day 2 encounter one goal apiece in Omoku, Rivers State.

It was a befitting self-gift by the former Shooting Stars player who also believed it relieved the club of the painful defeat in Akure on Sunday. The well travelled star, not known for half measures, gave the Omoku fans a slice of his act as he ran with his shirts off to celebrate the goal that came a day after his birthday. Center Referee, Nasir Ibrahim got him into the books for the indiscretion and afterwards, Salami said, "I'm so happy today, you know we lost a match last Sunday in Akure which was painful but today I'm so happy, more so, yesterday was my birthday, so I'm glad to celebrate my day with a goal".

The game played at the Krisdera Hotel Stadium got off to a lively start as hosts Nembe City got quick off the marks piling up pressure on their visitors' goalmouth. Shortly after John Eze blazed a shot over the bar after easing past two Wolves defenders,

But it was Michael Okoro who went close to giving Nembe City a dream start on the 7th minute but his difficult header from a Musa Newman cross cannoned off Daniel Akpeyi's cross bar. Moments later, the hosts went in front. Attacking from the same area, it was Newman again who broke down the right flank and measured a delightful square-pass that was diverted into his own net by Wolves right-back Goodluck Onamado under pressure from Obinna Amakor.

It was Nembe City’s first league goal of the season after 270 minutes of football and it brought a huge relief seen in the visage of the players, officials and fans, though in fortuitous circumstance.

Warri Wolves shook off the initial lethargy and slowly settled into the game but the hosts held onto their slim advantage going into the break. At the restart, Warri Wolves Coach Paul Aigbogun introduced Austine Amutu for an out-of-sorts Josiah Maduabuchi. Amutu's entrance galvanized Wolves and in the 55th minute, Joseph Osadiaye produced a moment of breathtaking football as he skillfully went past three Nembe City players but his pass failed to connect any of his teammates.

From that point, there was no going back again for Wolves as they put the hosts' fans on the edge of their seats with a sporadic wave of attacks and were to be rewarded for their perseverance when in the 71st minute, Salami controlled a loose aerial ball with his chest and on the turn unleashed a ferocious left-foot volley from 25 yards which sailed over a hapless Sule Muhammed and into the bottom left corner. Salami went wild in celebrating his third goal in 2 starts and it mattered little to him when centre referee Ibrahim booked him. The bolt from Salami’s boot left Nembe City shell-shocked and they didn't come off it till the final whistle with both sides unable to create any threatening chances at goal.

The spoils were shared and though apart from recording their first goal and point of the season as well as staying unbeaten against Wolves in their three league meetings, Nembe City Coach Gabriel Samuel was visibly sad at the final whistle. But he would somehow manage to utter a few words when asked his take on the outcome.

"I really don't know what to say. It is sad, perhaps, a bad result. We had expected to get the 3 points but at the end of the day, we didn't. We look forward to the next match with the same optimism." said Samuel.

Aigbogun of Wolves was however pleased with his team's show of character at getting a point in the game.

" It's good when you get a point away from home, this is a team that lost last weekend, so obviously they're very determined having to go behind and then come back shows a good character, so we're pleased with the point."

Nembe City will next travel to Katsina-Ala for a date with Lobi Stars who have collected maximum points from their three home games, keeping clean sheets in the process while Wolves return home to host Enugu Rangers in Sunday's big game in Warri.

MATCH STATS:
NEMBE CITY Squad List
12. Sule Muhammed (Ifeanyi Agu 73') 5, Job Ayuba (Emmanuel Egesi 68'),3. Anthony Michael 11. Essien Joseph, 2. Kola Awe, 6.Samson Gbadebo 32, Obinna Amakor 30, Otene Johnson 9. Musa Newman(Ejiro About 59')20. Michael Okoro 27. John Eze
Unused Subs: 31. Efebo Inabia, 8. Zuzu Benjamin, 19. Pere Anderson, 15. Israel Kagu
BOOKED: Kola Awe, Otene Johnson
GOAL: Goodluck Onamado o-g 9'

WARRI WOLVES:
34. Daniel Akpeyi 24. Goodluck Onamado 3. Joseph Eyimofe 17. Uche Ossai 32. Oke Ogagatewho 15. Azubuike Egwuekwe 22. Joshua Obaje (Stanley Dimgba 59') 31. Josiah Maduabuchi (Austine Amutu 50') 20. Gbolahan Salami 27. Ewenike Achibi (Ichull Lordson 90') 11. Joseph Osadiaye.
Unused Subs: 21. Rhiogbere Tejiri 16. Ojo Mine 13. Efe Yarhere 8. Daddy Bazuaye
BOOKED: Josiah Maduabuchi, Gbolahan Salami.

Other Stats
Nembe - Warri Wolves
Shots on target: 7
On Target: 2 -2
Corners: 2 - 4
Fouls: 15 - 17
Offside: 0 - 10
Bookings: 2 - 2
Sending Off: 0 - 0
Goals: 1-1.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Starting a game doesn't mean Akpeyi is the starter for Warri Wolves. Odah is a good goalkeeper. I just don't understand how Agbim is even in the picture.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Me i have given up scratching my head about Keshi's selection, all i am waiting for is the WC to come and go. If he like let him Rufai out from retirement , all i am waiting for is for the WC to come and go. Many things don't make sense to me anymore. He is the coach, it is his tenure let him do as he deems fit. If he succeeds kudos to him , i will laud his as a geniuse , if he fails i will also be here to tear him to pieces.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

CHANN was his Time to show his Class but fell Flat.

It doesn't matter whether this Guy is the 3rd Choice GK--What matter is , Does he Belong in that Team?

If others have been given a Chance as some has said and AGBIM kept beating them out, Then GK's

in OUR League got serious Problems.. How a Guy whom only Played 2 League matches for Rangers last season

and consistently kept his spot in our National Team just Baffled me. No matter whom is selected, I intend to Support the Team.