MY FINAL ANALYSIS OF KESHI’s TEAM AT THE 2014 WC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

JACKAL
Egg
Egg
Re: MY FINAL ANALYSIS OF KESHI’s TEAM AT THE 2014 WC

Post by JACKAL »

Damunk wrote:I gats to say Solowe has made a very compelling argument in this thread.
It seems the main issue is that expectations are far higher in 2014 than they were in '94. 'Success' and perceived 'quality' is a function of expectation.

I need to watch that '94 game of Nig v Arg again, but will not be surprised to find that, like all normal people, my memories have been tainted by nostalgia.

Thanks Solowe! I don remove you from my ignore list on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and every other Sunday. :taunt:
sharapp dia Damunk.... You know you hang on to my every word and cant wait to read what next I am going to write :mrgreen:

Some people were just too happy to see us in the world cup in 1994 that they forgave that team in their collective nostalgia for what ever issues they may have had on the field.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

I don't need game tape to tell me what I saw live. Their is no amount of tape you're going to show me that will prove that Musa is close to Finidi or Amuneke and the list goes on. I saw these guys live. It's not even close. You can say this team is better coached than 94, that's debatable. This team is better defensively. BUT the players, got outta here. :taunt:
Damunk wrote:I gats to say Solowe has made a very compelling argument in this thread.
It seems the main issue is that expectations are far higher in 2014 than they were in '94. 'Success' and perceived 'quality' is a function of expectation.

I need to watch that '94 game of Nig v Arg again, but will not be surprised to find that, like all normal people, my memories have been tainted by nostalgia.

Thanks Solowe! I don remove you from my ignore list on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and every other Sunday. :taunt:
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

JMObi wrote:Three things Nigeria has to learn in every aspect of national life in order to succeed is patience, organization and trusting and investing in expertise.

No country builds a world beating national team in 2 years and Keshi has done well to put together a team that plays functionally as a unit (even with flaws) and that has been able to compete effectively against top ranked teams.

The next stage is building on a decent (not great) showing at the World Cup by strengthening areas where we are weak (midfield), setplays, attacking repetoire so that by the next World Cup we have a team that can not just compete but will be one of the top 10 strongest teams in the world.

I would retain Keshi for several reasons. One is that he is one of the few coaches that combines experience with an understanding of the Nigerian mentality. He got Nigeria to play like Nigeria again albeit with less experienced players than in the last 10 years. Two is that when you are coaching the senior team you have between 5-10 games a year which is not that many to build true team understanding. Better to stick with Keshi for at least 5 years who by year 4 should have racked up at least 40 games under his belt (which is like 1 season for a club coach) and can then gain consistency in his results.

The 2014 World Cup has shown that talent and coaching has converged across the footballing world. Chile, Colombia, USA, Mexico could have easily been in the final with a little more luck. The top African teams that impressed - Nigeria and Ghana played close games with the two finalists (Germany and Argentina) and with better defending may have won those games. Now instead of going back to the drawing board, Nigeria really needs to consolidate and build on its experience.

:clap: :clap:
Mike Ditka quote :
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Solowe wrote:
lagos777 wrote:
Solowe wrote:
THE FUTURE
Personally, I think we are on our way to greatness. I like what Nigerian football is today. We are at least 10 years ahead of our African counterparts and at the precipice's of breaking into the Elite club.
The opportunities that these new generation of players are getting is very encouraging and I see a few superstars in our horizon.

I see as dominating the African scene for the next 10 years
I see us dominating the U-17's for another 10 years
I see us winning the U-20's & Olympic titles inside of the next 2 editions
I see spectacular results in our run for the World cup in 2018 and 2022

Best of Luck to Nigeria
Our future is not different than it was 20 yrs ago. Bunch of young talented players coming through to be sent to European clubs that have absolutely no interest in the future of the SE. They will be trained to do things that suit those clubs. most of em will fall by the wayside. Majority will turn to ordinary players. The NFF will still be sheet and we will all blame the next coach when he doesn't win the ANC. He will get fired and Keshi will be called back and the merry go round will continue.
Wow, you have a pretty gloomy outlook on the future. 20 years ago even European football isn't what it is today. globalization and Mass communication has changed everything and our prospects. We have youth programs , national U-14 -U-16 teams, academies more and more qualified coaches, access to information is at everyone's finger tips. We may not have Germanys money and Organization, but we do have some organization and we do have the desire for success. Even with all our problems we still manage to win several international tournament's and compete favorably against nations who are funded 100 limes better than us. We don't have to everything perfect to win... Don't underestimate the fight in this dog :biggrin: .
Shehu Abdullahi just turned down Sporting for Qatar. Smh.
This is the kinda ish I'm talking about. If this kid is German, he's training with Bayern and being thought how to read the flow, cross the damn ball, tackle and shoot. He freakn goes to Qatar. :atc: :atc:
Mike Ditka quote :
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

lagos777 wrote:[
Our future is not different than it was 20 yrs ago. Bunch of young talented players coming through to be sent to European clubs that have absolutely no interest in the future of the SE. They will be trained to do things that suit those clubs. most of em will fall by the wayside. Majority will turn to ordinary players. The NFF will still be sheet and we will all blame the next coach when he doesn't win the ANC. He will get fired and Keshi will be called back and the merry go round will continue.

Shehu Abdullahi just turned down Sporting for Qatar. Smh.
This is the kinda ish I'm talking about. If this kid is German, he's training with Bayern and being thought how to read the flow, cross the damn ball, tackle and shoot. He freakn goes to Qatar. :atc: :atc:[/quote]
Shehu made the right decision.

Why does he need to go Portugal to make peanuts when the Kuwaitis are rolling out the red carpet for him. How much do you guys seriously think they are going to pay this kid in Portugal... ?? At best he makes $50K.. The Kuwaitis probably threw $300K a year at him. How many of you would turn that down ?

He could be in Europe for the next 10 years and not make that money. Not everyone is getting Ronaldo money
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Solowe wrote:Shehu made the right decision.

Why does he need to go Portugal to make peanuts when the Kuwaitis are rolling out the red carpet for him. How much do you guys seriously think they are going to pay this kid in Portugal... ?? At best he makes $50K.. The Kuwaitis probably threw $300K a year at him. How many of you would turn that down ?

He could be in Europe for the next 10 years and not make that money. Not everyone is getting Ronaldo money
[/color]
Thinking like that is why we are not what you think we are. His mates are gonna be in top clubs learning their trade. He's in Qatar making 300k. :boo:
Last edited by lagos777 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Ditka quote :
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

lagos777 wrote:
Solowe wrote:Shehu made the right decision.

[/color]
Thinking like that is why I we are not what you think we are. His mates are gonna be in top clubs learning their trade. He's in Qatar making 300k. :boo:
What do you think is the shelf Life of these footballers ? They play at the top level for like 10 years if they are lucky. This kid could be in Portugal for 4 of those 10 years, making $50k a year. That's $200k in 4 years. He gets to earn $330,000 in 1 year in Kuwait ( According to http://www.nigeriafootball.com/article, ... for-Qadsia) He would have to be insane to turn It down. If he is lucky they re-new his contract for $5 years and he would have earned about $2,000,000 In six years. That sounds like a good career move to me.

What if he doesn't make it in Europe ? What if he gets Injured ? What if after all that great "development" in Portugal all he ends up making in his big club is $300K. How much do you think they pay this guys ? Not every body is getting Messi or Ronaldo money !! 80% football players playing for the top sides in Europe's top clubs make less than $500k.

What you are suggesting he do is the irrational choice. The boy is making the right decision. You choice for him is a selfish one. He needs to take care of him first.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Solowe wrote: What do you think is the shelf Life of these footballers ? They play at the top level for like 10 years if they are lucky. This kid could be in Portugal for 4 of those 10 years, making $50k a year. That's $200k in 4 years. He gets to earn $330,000 in 1 year in Kuwait ( According to http://www.nigeriafootball.com/article, ... for-Qadsia) He would have to be insane to turn It down. If he is lucky they re-new his contract for $5 years and he would have earned about $2,000,000 In six years. That sounds like a good career move to me.

What if he doesn't make it in Europe ? What if he gets Injured ? What if after all that great "development" in Portugal all he ends up making in his big club is $300K. How much do you think they pay this guys ? Not every body is getting Messi or Ronaldo money !! 80% football players playing for the top sides in Europe's top clubs make less than $500k.

What you are suggesting he do is the irrational choice. The boy is making the right decision. You choice for him is a selfish one. He needs to take care of him first.
What if , what if , what if. It's called self development. You sound like the pre med student that settled for the biologist job because it pays him " now ", instead of putting in the work to go through med school. Your rational is understood, it's just flawed in my opinion. You won't see the German, French, Brazilian kids going to Qatar for a quick buck. Five years from now you will wonder why we can't get past the 2nd round of the world cup and blame the coach. It's a vicious cycle.
Mike Ditka quote :
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

lagos777 wrote:
Solowe wrote: What do you think is the shelf Life of these footballers ? They play at the top level for like 10 years if they are lucky. This kid could be in Portugal for 4 of those 10 years, making $50k a year. That's $200k in 4 years. He gets to earn $330,000 in 1 year in Kuwait ( According to http://www.nigeriafootball.com/article, ... for-Qadsia) He would have to be insane to turn It down. If he is lucky they re-new his contract for $5 years and he would have earned about $2,000,000 In six years. That sounds like a good career move to me.

What if , what if , what if. It's called self development. You sound like the pre med student that settled for the biologist job because it pays him " now ", instead of putting in the work to go through med school. Your rational is understood, it's just flawed in my opinion. You won't see the German, French, Brazilian kids going to Qatar for a quick buck. Five years from now you will wonder why we can't get past the 2nd round of the world cup and blame the coach. It's a vicious cycle.
Your Medical student analogy does not jive at all... This guy is already 21 and is considered an adult/senior level player in World football terms.. if he were 17 then a development deal would be appropriate. Besides A doctor earns doctor money for life,,, a footballer is only good for 10 years... He cant afford to waste 3 or 4 of those in Portugal being used as cannon fodder by the Portuguese to develop their own players. ... There are many Brazilian players in Qatar and all over the world, some in Nigeria sef... 5 years from now, the cream will rise to the top and we will pick who we will pick.
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

Lagos 777, it's unfair to compere the opportunities for Europeans in Germany, England or Spain with those in Africa. Why should a Shehu contemporary in Europe go to Qatar when the technology and professional management are available in their home contries. They live in the upper middle class.
The only way guys like Shehu can make the best of their football careers is to look after number one first, as their is no hope at home. How Sad !!!.
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg
Re: MY FINAL ANALYSIS OF KESHI’s TEAM AT THE 2014 WP

Post by HAWKEYE »

Lagos 777, it's unfair to compere the opportunities for Europeans in Germany, England or Spain with those in Africa. Why should a Shehu contemporary in Europe go to Qatar when the technology and professional management are available in their home contries. They live in the upper middle class.
The only way guys like Shehu can make the best of their football careers is to look after number one first, as their is no hope at home. How Sad !!!.
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

."p
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

HAWKEYE wrote:Lagos 777, it's unfair to compere the opportunities for Europeans in Germany, England or Spain with those in Africa. Why should a Shehu contemporary in Europe go to Qatar when the technology and professional management are available in their home contries. They live in the upper middle class.
I'm not comparing opportunities for African kids with Europeans. I'm saying Shehu made the wrong choice by by chosing Qatar over Sportn. Shehu was given an opportunity that most kids in Portugal will jump at, he turned it down for a quick buck. Sportn was the club that developed Ronaldo. They diagnosed and fixed his heart condition there. He was not a upper middle class kid, infact he lived in poverty when he went to through sportn academy. He put in the work.

Looking at number one first is best served by going and learning your trade at the best place available to you. Until the mindset of quick buck is conquered, our boys are gonna end up in back water leagues like Qatar and India and we will be left with people crying age cheats as the reason.
Mike Ditka quote :
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Solowe wrote:Your Medical student analogy does not jive at all... This guy is already 21 and is considered an adult/senior level player in World football terms.. if he were 17 then a development deal would be appropriate. Besides A doctor earns doctor money for life,,, a footballer is only good for 10 years... He cant afford to waste 3 or 4 of those in Portugal being used as cannon fodder by the Portuguese to develop their own players. ... There are many Brazilian players in Qatar and all over the world, some in Nigeria sef... 5 years from now, the cream will rise to the top and we will pick who we will pick.

The only good thing about the deal is he signed a one year deal. :blink:

You say 5yrs from now the cream will rise to the top, probably. But that's not based on talent only. Infact talent is probably the lesser factor. Their are lots of talented players coming through all over the world. What separates these players is luck, tutelage, discipline, sacrifice, competition, exposure, and dedication to self improvement. Shehu is already steps behind his peers at the better clubs in all this based on this Qatar move.
Mike Ditka quote :
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

lagos777 wrote:

Lagos, its called quick wins for small gain. A typical mentality that has shaped Nigeria for the worst, from corrupt politician to limited footballers.