Frank Rijkaard, sad fall from the top

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Frank Rijkaard, sad fall from the top

Post by theYemster »

Don't know his circumstances so not speaking for him but if I have achieved all that he has both as a player and coach, I'd probably be doing exactly what he is doing right now.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

theYemster wrote:Don't know his circumstances so not speaking for him but if I have achieved all that he has both as a player and coach, I'd probably be doing exactly what he is doing right now.
Typical ibadan man, what about opening the door for others......the likes of Kluivert are trying to get into the game, typical response i see is that he has made his money.

Open doors for other black coaches
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Stereotypes and prejudicial misconceptions stalk the black man's every stride, failure in such instances propagates tidal waves of negativity. Rijkaard fell on the double edged sword of blackness and recent failings. Death was a certainty.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Coach wrote:Stereotypes and prejudicial misconceptions stalk the black man's every stride, failure in such instances propagates tidal waves of negativity. Rijkaard fell on the double edged sword of blackness and recent failings. Death was a certainty.
Thank you jare

I dont understand but glad you agree with me
Oya back to the matter
open and close
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Prince wrote:Platinum,
So you think race might not be an issue, with all the black players we have had in the game, how many are coaches, we lost Tigana, Gullit and Rijkaard. This are coaches that could bring out the next generation of black coaches,

I look at most Academy even in the third and fourth layer of any top club there are hardly black coaches involved. Why do top black coaches simply give up.

I choose not to speculate about it. The man never said that had anything to do with it. He coached one of the biggest teams in the world to a successful Euros and then coached one of the biggest clubs in the world. His name was still a hot commodity even after his failures in Turkey and Saudi Arabia. Maybe race was an issue, maybe it wasn't but like Pep Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard was the kind of guy who would make a cerebral move like that. In the 80s, this is how people said Voller racially abused him with no basis.

The thread was opened out of ignorance and the OP has admitted as much. There was no sad fall from grace, the man chose to leave when he wanted....is it unusual? yes but that's Rijkaard for you.

We've talked about this issue many times, I agree there's so much racism in the game. Rijkaard isn't an example though.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Rijkard Reminds me of Obama. I am talking about his personalities. Some people are just who they are, and we have to respect that they don't fight fire for fire. There are some people like them that will get abuses and disrespect and instead of us them firing back like we expect, they just choose to move on and not engage them stoves in unnecessary battles.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Rijkaard is fine and living life like he should, he's smoking all the weed he wants now with no distractions or real pressure.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

IF RIJKAARD IS DOING WHAT HE'S ALLEGED TO BE DOING IN FLORIDA...

...it's probably because it's what he wants to do. Forget Europe or Africa, there'd be a long line of MLS teams clamoring for his signature and willing to blow up their salary guidelines. If only for his name and stature. Even the US team, if it didn't have Klinsmann, would very likely be interested,
Bell
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

Prince wrote:
amafolas wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Samora Moises Machel wrote:I just read this great man is now doing the lowly role of player development at a Florida prep school. Now thats a sick joke for a man who has achieved what he did at Barcelona. Meanwhile people like Pulis go through the revolving door of EPL management

Rijkaard single hnadedly resurrected and made Barcelona fashionable again. Surely the the team cojldnhave created a role for him to save him this fate :cry: :cry:
Maybe that is what he wants to do? Don't you know some people enjoy being school teachers?

Without knowing his circumstances, I would speculate that the man could/can get a job coaching a top team somewhere in Europe if that is what he wants to do.

Stop crying about his fate...after all, some ex footballers are homeless, drug addicts of alcoholics (Gazza), while a former German WC winner is reportedly washing toilets for a living.
I completely agree chief. best believe it, if i was a trust fund baby, I would be in some tough inner city school right now teaching math/physics rather than doing whatever it is I am doing now.
you win the nobel prize in maths and start to teach 11 plus maths, yiu gave taught in havard , princeton and now 11 plus at feyingbole grammar school
Yes. Some people do that. They see it as a way to give back, and give children who otherwise wouldn't have one the opportunity to learn from a great.

Frank realized that if he left that job for Prince, those Florida kids would end up wastepipes :p

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

platinum wrote:
benteke wrote:
platinum wrote:

You're trivializing it when you cry racism at everything and especially when you pulled it out of nowhere. Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?
The man said clearly years ago that he was done, if you didn't know then that's fine but several people on this thread have shed light on the issue including providing links. If you knew anything about Frank Rijkaard, you'd understand why his leaving was no surprise at all.
Could it be racism? Sure but don't come here sounding so cocksure then turn around and say the issue is being trivialized.

dont be petty man, you understand clearly what i am saying, he never got good offers, why that is the case is what i am speculating

Dont come here trying to act like you know better, coz you are speculating that he is happy as much as i suspect lack of offers drove him to that announcement

Dont belittle me by trying to say i cry wolf , i dont think you and me will get very far in this argument
Benteke,
If you followed the news then which you didn't (and that's no slight on you), you'd know why he quit. You'd know he was still a hot name in the coaching carousel. You'd know it shocked most observers that Frank Rijkaard was walking away from it all.
Instead of admitting that you've learned a few new things, you chose to go into speculation about race and now you're saying the onus is me to show that he left because....never mind. You've gotten a piece of knowledge about how and why he quit, it's on you to go back and see what jobs he was linked with when he decided to hang the gloves up, don't expect to be spoon fed everything. After he left Saudi Arabia, he could have gone to cash money at other NT's, he could have waited for jobs to open up at big sides, he chose not to.

Lets leave the speculation to speculators and go with what we know and there's enough info there that we shouldn't have to speculate and especially not about something as serious as race. I don't know why people love bringing this up, same thing happened in the 80s with Rijkaard, let it be!
:agree: :agree: :agree:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Again, not discounting the burdensome blackness of his skin, a blight in the eyes of the imbecile, an honour in those of the educated, but beyond 2006, Franki Knuckles fast became irrelevant. The mandate was always to win at Barcelona and having gotten one of the biggest jobs in world football on the back of a far from spectacular managerial record (there were better in the field), he failed to make the grade shortly after exceeding it. Since then, Barca have done away with many in similar fashion, a consequence of their thirst for success.

Seven years since lifting La Liga's sizeable silverware to lofty heights beyond his cropped dreadlocks cum texturised Robbynicety, he stood at the threshold of irrelevance with a welcoming gesture from all inside and a cup of tea in hand. Consecutive failures at Barcelona, a stint in Turkey that fell far short of Turkish delight and absolute fiasco in Saudi Arabia, Rijkaard, through his own doing, confirmed his falling behind the times. Then comes the colouring. Only Arsene Wenger, perhaps in Europe and possibly the world, is able to stay the throne despite endemic failure. Truly one of the game's greatest illusionists.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

platinum wrote: Benteke,
If you followed the news then which you didn't (and that's no slight on you), you'd know why he quit. You'd know he was still a hot name in the coaching carousel. You'd know it shocked most observers that Frank Rijkaard was walking away from it all.
Instead of admitting that you've learned a few new things, you chose to go into speculation about race and now you're saying the onus is me to show that he left because....never mind. You've gotten a piece of knowledge about how and why he quit, it's on you to go back and see what jobs he was linked with when he decided to hang the gloves up, don't expect to be spoon fed everything. After he left Saudi Arabia, he could have gone to cash money at other NT's, he could have waited for jobs to open up at big sides, he chose not to.

Lets leave the speculation to speculators and go with what we know and there's enough info there that we shouldn't have to speculate and especially not about something as serious as race. I don't know why people love bringing this up, same thing happened in the 80s with Rijkaard, let it be!
i actually did follow the news about him before he quit, actually i used to follow news about him ever since he left Barcelona.
I am very sure of how i came to be looking at things this way, and i can assure you i stand by what i said, you will have to read again what i am saying earlier
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:I just read this great man is now doing the lowly role of player development at a Florida prep school. Now thats a sick joke for a man who has achieved what he did at Barcelona. Meanwhile people like Pulis go through the revolving door of EPL management

Rijkaard single hnadedly resurrected and made Barcelona fashionable again. Surely the the team cojldnhave created a role for him to save him this fate :cry: :cry:
Here I was thinking that the whole point in life is to have the option of doing what you want to do when you want to do it...

You need to google the CEO or high earning folks who have decided to chose the simpler life.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:

Here I was thinking that the whole point in life is to have the option of doing what you want to do when you want to do it...

You need to google the CEO or high earning folks who have decided to chose the simpler life.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some folks, especially Princess. The man decided he wanted to coach children, rather than be in the limelight and chop money from cable TV and stadium tickets paid for by the likes of Prince and Tendai, but they decided to moan about him taking their potential job.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some folks, especially Princess. The man decided he wanted to coach children, rather than be in the limelight and chop money from cable TV and stadium tickets paid for by the likes of Prince and Tendai, but they decided to moan about him taking their potential job.
Cheif why dont you go and teach 2 year old pottie training, thats the equivalent of what Rijkaard is doing.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Actually if we are keeping this all a buck then the credit for those Barça teams should go to ten Cate not Rijkaard.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Prince wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Cheif why dont you go and teach 2 year old pottie training, thats the equivalent of what Rijkaard is doing.
If I had as much money, I would go to my village and teach primary school kids!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Prince wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

If I had as much money, I would go to my village and teach primary school kids!
\Cheif you are not a nobel laurette in terms of education, the man is the ultimate in terms of his profession, There arent many like him in the who world, am afraid teaching football at a Prep School for rich kids is just sad. If it was inner city kids then I wont question him
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Prince wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Prince wrote:
theYemster wrote:Don't know his circumstances so not speaking for him but if I have achieved all that he has both as a player and coach, I'd probably be doing exactly what he is doing right now.
Typical ibadan man, what about opening the door for others......the likes of Kluivert are trying to get into the game, typical response i see is that he has made his money.

lol. How does what he is doing negatively affect the opportunities of other minorities?

While I have no issue with anyone who prefers doing something else, the reasoning behind many peoples criticism of Rijkaard's choice is something I find disturbing. I don't consider a life of service to teaching and developing kids a bad thing or a fall from grace. I've always had a personal dream and ambition to develop a foundation to help the less fortunate, orphans, sick kids and talent discovery and nurturing be it educationally or athletically. If and when I achieve what Rijkaard has professionally and am as financially comfortable, I will likely pursue that personal ambition. There is a lot of joy and satisfaction from helping the less fortunate. And I am not just talking about giving a handout but actually helping them develop and achieve their full potential in life.

So by your standards Bill Gates is what...closing doors for others as well?

It may not be for you or everyone but don't knock others for doing it.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Wouldn't have taken the Palace job last season and certainly would've steered his ship clear of West Bromwich. A doubt in one's self assessment perhaps. Of all these managerial maestros, how many venture into the desert with no water? How many fall to all fours and growl with the relegation dogfight?

Ladies and Gentleman, the Professional Professor has placed himself once more in the raging heats of the crucible to show the purity of his brilliance. Ordinary Saudi Arabia and Rijkaard had squandered all the wishes of Aladdin's lamp before half-time. Nonsense.
Last edited by Coach on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Coach wrote:Wouldn't have taken the Palace job last season and certainly would've steered his ship clear of West Bromwich. A doubt in one's self assessment perhaps. Of all these managerial maestros, how many venture into the dessert with no water? How many fall to all fours and growl with the relegation dogfight?

Ladies and Gentleman, the Professional Professor has placed himself once more in the raging heats of the crucible to show the purity of his brilliance. Ordinary Saudi Arabia and Rijkaard had squandered all the wishes of Aladdin's lamp before half-time. Nonsense.
Coachito
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

theYemster wrote:
Prince wrote:

lol. How does what he is doing negatively affect the opportunities of other minorities?

While I have no issue with anyone who prefers doing something else, the reasoning behind many peoples criticism of Rijkaard's choice is something I find disturbing. I don't consider a life of service to teaching and developing kids a bad thing or a fall from grace. I've always had a personal dream and ambition to develop a foundation to help the less fortunate, orphans, sick kids and talent discovery and nurturing be it educationally or athletically. If and when I achieve what Rijkaard has professionally and am as financially comfortable, I will likely pursue that personal ambition. There is a lot of joy and satisfaction from helping the less fortunate. And I am not just talking about giving a handout but actually helping them develop and achieve their full potential in life.

So by your standards Bill Gates is what...closing doors for others as well?

It may not be for you or everyone but don't knock others for doing it.
Rich kids who really have no need for it as they can afford to get a grade 3 coach to train their kids, is disturbing. try submitting your cv for the post against Rijkaard even Amodu will struggle
Oya back to the matter
open and close