FIFA Officials Arrested; Face Extradition to US

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FIFA Officials Arrested; Face Extradition to US

Post by toyin133 »

YUJAM wrote:Big move by the USA but I am not sure if I like it. The whole issue is way too political for me and I am not sure this move will endear the USA to the rest of the world
Do you think this is a major consideration for the DOJ when they decide to pursue individuals using US banks for money laundering?
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
Ghanaba
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghanaba »

YUJAM wrote:Big move by the USA but I am not sure if I like it. The whole issue is way too political for me and I am not sure this move will endear the USA to the rest of the world
YUJAM, I love it.
The corruption in almost all facets of FIFA has been going on for far too long. And, it has seeped to all of its member federations. Thank God someone is standing up to attempt to arrest this nonsense.

Bàtà orí àkìtàn náà ròde ìyàwò rí
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.
The corruption in almost all facets of FIFA has been going on for far too long. And, it has seeped to all of its member federations. Thank God someone is standing up to attempt to arrest this nonsense.

There's nothing wrong with standing up for something. When you do that, make sure your own fingers don't stink of $hit though. Those pointing fingers now are not clean....not even close. It' like the west accusing others of terrorism etc etc (I'd rather not get political but it's one almighty joke)
We'll see how it all shakes out. Business as usual will be a thing of the past hopefully but the US and the Western powers should understand that there're over 200 member nations of FIFA and their votes all count equally. The loss of that WC bid pain them well well but I for one don't have an issue with the tournament being hosted by countries outside the usual suspects. No be only them dey this world.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Agreed. But the US vs THEM mentality is firmly implanted in FIFA's culture. Blatter is running on that platform and given that the arrests have been individuals from poorer countries, I suspect the whole action may create a backlash which may have negative consequences on the richer nations
Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

What USA needs to really do is arrest all the corrupt police in this country and judges. They can cry foul over this but remain very corrupt in their own country,very stupid stuff and I find it extremely dumb anybody would actually applaud this crap
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Ghanaba
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghanaba »

YUJAM wrote:Agreed. But the US vs THEM mentality is firmly implanted in FIFA's culture. Blatter is running on that platform and given that the arrests have been individuals from poorer countries, I suspect the whole action may create a backlash which may have negative consequences on the richer nations
Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.
The fact that the Swiss have also initiated their own independent investigation into FIFA's conduct over the years is equally refreshing. If at the end of it all, FIFA's reflexive wagon encircling tactic, that Blatter has mastered, is even merely dented it will be a good start for the clean up at Fifa.

Bàtà orí àkìtàn náà ròde ìyàwò rí
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

This has the potential to create a siege mentality and rally FIFA foes against the meddling US or it might actually help clean up FIFA in a way. There's the feeling that the corruption has become so bad that the bidding process is no longer about football and the fans.

The Qatar debacle is a prime example. While it would be nice to take football across the globe, they are now trying to revise the start date due to extreme weather that can be potentially harmful to players and fans.

The bidding process is now so ridiculously expensive it's pointless encouraging some federations to bid if you know the next edition should be held in a specific continent
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

pajimoh wrote:This has the potential to create a siege mentality and rally FIFA foes against the meddling US or it might actually help clean up FIFA in a way. There's the feeling that the corruption has become so bad that the bidding process is no longer about football and the fans.

The Qatar debacle is a prime example. While it would be nice to take football across the globe, they are now trying to revise the start date due to extreme weather that can be potentially harmful to players and fans.

The bidding process is now so ridiculously expensive it's pointless encouraging some federations to bid if you know the next edition should be held in a specific continent

I wager it'll do both. No way FIFA does biz as usual. UNLESS they get way smarter about how they do their rackets.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ghanaba wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I posted here sometime ago that FIFA messed up the USA by awarding WC to Qatar instead of the USA. I said, America will make them pay, many argued I was talking bull.

We now know the Swiss authorities are working with the Americans and things are getting hot. I am saddened by all of this because we do not want hypocrisy. Those Europeans officials who accepted Qater and Russian money must all be exposed.
The USA can only go after those who committed crimes (or part of the crime) within US territory, hence the reason why most of those arrested are from Concacaf/South America region.

Can go as far as they like, with Swiss law enforcement onside FBI can work hand and hand with local authorities or on a much larger scale Interpol.
I have noted with keen interest they have mentioned the WCs scheduled for Russia and Qatar as key in the investigations. They do not seem to be focusing on previous bids. Strange :roll: :roll: :roll:
Have you listened to the new U.S. Attorney General? She's going back all the way to the early 1990s. And, already, two entities in the US and Brazil have pleaded guilty. Things are getting interesting indeed.
I have just read the full text of her submissions and it looks really damning indeed. However, I noted they focused on things like TV Rights and not the bid process itself. They have also not gone back to the time the USA bid for the USA WC. Also, they have mentioned South Africa, conveniently ignoring the Germany bid process which opened the way for the rampant corruption that marred the bid process for the 2018 and 2022 bids in Russia and Qatar. Yes, I commend the Americans for trying to snuff out organised corruption but I insist, it must be a fair and equal process for all involved. I am highly suspicious of what seems to me to be a selective process in targeting certain activities, individuals and countries.

Like I said earlier, we have another IOC situation here and if it changes FIFA for good insofar as it minimises corruption, (for it can never be eradicated) I am all for it. However, the USA have not acted altruistically and for the good of all, they are getting their revenge for Qatar and they have been given a opening by the corrupt FIFA executives.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Waffiman wrote:
Ghanaba wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I posted here sometime ago that FIFA messed up the USA by awarding WC to Qatar instead of the USA. I said, America will make them pay, many argued I was talking bull.

We now know the Swiss authorities are working with the Americans and things are getting hot. I am saddened by all of this because we do not want hypocrisy. Those Europeans officials who accepted Qater and Russian money must all be exposed.
The USA can only go after those who committed crimes (or part of the crime) within US territory, hence the reason why most of those arrested are from Concacaf/South America region.

Can go as far as they like, with Swiss law enforcement onside FBI can work hand and hand with local authorities or on a much larger scale Interpol.
I have noted with keen interest they have mentioned the WCs scheduled for Russia and Qatar as key in the investigations. They do not seem to be focusing on previous bids. Strange :roll: :roll: :roll:
Have you listened to the new U.S. Attorney General? She's going back all the way to the early 1990s. And, already, two entities in the US and Brazil have pleaded guilty. Things are getting interesting indeed.
I have just read the full text of her submissions and it looks really damning indeed. Like I said earlier, we have another IOC situation here and if it changes FIFA for good insofar as it minimises corruption, I am all for it. However, the USA have not acted altruistically, they are getting their revenge and they have been given a opening by the corrupt FIFA executives.
Then I would expect the US not to smell the WC for a very long time unless hosting right becomes part of the bargaining tool - Another corruption
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Agreed. But the US vs THEM mentality is firmly implanted in FIFA's culture. Blatter is running on that platform and given that the arrests have been individuals from poorer countries, I suspect the whole action may create a backlash which may have negative consequences on the richer nations
Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.
The fact that the Swiss have also initiated their own independent investigation into FIFA's conduct over the years is equally refreshing. If at the end of it all, FIFA's reflexive wagon encircling tactic, that Blatter has mastered, is even merely dented it will be a good start for the clean up at Fifa.
This I welcome, however the scope of the Swiss investigation is limited to the Qatar and Russia bid process. This is highly suspicious and it stinks. We all know the German WC bid process was the 1st free for all highly organised corrupt process which in effect set the precedent for the disgrace of the 2018 and 2022 bids processes.

I do not ever imagine the Swiss investigating Germans, do you? Do you ask a wife to investigate her husband? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Waffiman wrote:
Ghanaba wrote:
Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.
This I welcome, however the scope of the Swiss investigation is limited to the Qatar and Russia bid process. This is highly suspicious and it stinks. We all know the German WC bid process was the 1st free for all highly organised corrupt process which in effect set the precedent for the disgrace of the 2018 and 2022 bids processes.

I do not ever imagine the Swiss investigating Germans, do you? Do you ask a wife to investigate her husband? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Depends, if she intends leaving him for another man :sneaky: :twisted:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

pajimoh wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Ghanaba wrote:
Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.

Depends, if she intends leaving him for another man :sneaky: :twisted:
This marriage has no divorce, if it has, the wife will be swallowed up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Russia don speak
Russia: US acted 'illegally'
Posted at 17:38

Russia has accused the US of acting illegally in its indictment of Fifa officials.

It was "another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law", according to Russian Foreign Ministry, who urged Washington to "stop trying to set itself up as a judge far outside its borders".
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

This is all politics and money so if your primary interest is in football then there is nothing here for you.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

2006 must be investigated if we are to take this seriously.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

juventuss wrote:2006 must be investigated if we are to take this seriously.
It did Juventus got relegated.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

joplass wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:LOL @ Cellular and "better pipuls".

I wasn't following the events leading to '94 WC...care to enlighten us?
Those guys are confusing the chain of events. Lobbying without payments for something is not wrong but paying voters before the vote is corruption. Clinton never paid anybody for the US to get the '94 WC.
Nna, if you want an education I fit provide am for you...

1994 Fifa World cup was awarded to the USA I believe in 1988... and they used all manners of inducement to take it away from Morocco and Brazil. The same 'lobbying' tactics was used for the 1996 Olympics.

The USA would still have won the most recent bid if not for changes in US laws regarding 'lobbying' foreign governments and entities.

But you can believe what you want to believe.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I am a bit mixed about the USA wading into the world of soccer politics (and possibly corruption). I don't believe the government understands the way the soccer world works. FIFA is one of the few big organizations in the world where each country has one vote for all or most issues . Blatter has exploited this to claim that he has the interests of the poor countries at heart and thus they should vote for him in a bloc to keep him in power. My fear is this foray into the world of soccer may be seen as an attempt to upset this balance where the poorer countries in the world have an equal say, at least at the voting table.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
anointed wrote:
Cellular wrote:
anointed wrote:It's been long that we've talking about the fifa corruption but unfortunately some people thought it was an English thing.
So when folks don't tow the British/Eurocentric way of voting then they must have been induced?

If it was amongst Africans it will be tribalism...
That's not the point.

Peeps who were defending fifa here used to say that it was the English that was sponsoring the corruption allegations cos of fifa 'taking' the WC from them.
No mind dem. I have bumped the threads for those interested. :D

The British ARE SORE LOSERS!

They were beat in the own game by folks who don't have to go to parliament to request for funding for clandestine operations... It is like folks losing elections in Naijaria and accusing the other guy of cheating. News flash: THEY ALL CHEAT!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

platinum wrote:
Ghanaba wrote:
YUJAM, I love it.

There's nothing wrong with standing up for something. When you do that, make sure your own fingers don't stink of $hit though. Those pointing fingers now are not clean....not even close. It' like the west accusing others of terrorism etc etc (I'd rather not get political but it's one almighty joke)
We'll see how it all shakes out. Business as usual will be a thing of the past hopefully but the US and the Western powers should understand that there're over 200 member nations of FIFA and their votes all count equally. The loss of that WC bid pain them well well but I for one don't have an issue with the tournament being hosted by countries outside the usual suspects. No be only them dey this world.
...do you know how many member nations dey for the UN? Yet the Americans sponsor and win votes for that place.
Last edited by mcal on Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

pajimoh wrote:Russia don speak
Russia: US acted 'illegally'
Posted at 17:38

Russia has accused the US of acting illegally in its indictment of Fifa officials.

It was "another case of illegal exterritorial use of US law", according to Russian Foreign Ministry, who urged Washington to "stop trying to set itself up as a judge far outside its borders".
You saw that coming, didn't you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

YUJAM wrote:I am a bit mixed about the USA wading into the world of soccer politics (and possibly corruption). I don't believe the government understands the way the soccer world works. FIFA is one of the few big organizations in the world where each country has one vote for all or most issues . Blatter has exploited this to claim that he has the interests of the poor countries at heart and thus they should vote for him in a bloc to keep him in power. My fear is this foray into the world of soccer may be seen as an attempt to upset this balance where the poorer countries in the world have an equal say, at least at the voting table.
The USA understands the politics of soccer the same way they understand diving in soccer or soccer players feigning injury.

Be it Olympics bidding or FIFA soccer bidding... corruption boku.

Darn, there's even corruption in bidding to host the Superbowl!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...