Replicating success at the highest level beyond U-17

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sampo
Egg
Egg
Replicating success at the highest level beyond U-17

Post by Sampo »

And what it really takes - the morning-after and the koko of the matter.

Starting with "it's our birthright" by Joe Erico ... a deep and contrasting objective analysis from Ugbade, who's been there, done that!

Great, insightful stuff from our golden Boyz2Men :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

[/video]
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
opine
Egg
Egg
Re: Replicating success at the highest level beyond U-17

Post by opine »

Ugbade actually makes some sense when he isn't whining and playing the victim
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

You're not gonna replicate anything above U17 if you have petty, incompetent and corrupt coaches like Ugbade who scapegoat the players and fail to prepare for their opponents. Ugbade and Manu had the best U20 talent since 1996 and they wasted it. They selected awful defenders and a hopeless goalkeeper. Then they left talent on the bench . No game plan, no strategy, nothing!

That's why we don't win U20. Our boys can rely on speed and raw talent at U17. At U20, the opposition is strong and their so is their tactical awareness and training. The only coach to come close to that was Siasia because he prepared well and selected his players well. If he was our U20 coach this year, we would have been in the final.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Nigeria performs well at under 17 level because their skills level is always better than what other countries offer at that stage, after that, the other countries improve whiles Nigeria simply goes down hill
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Please stop the naija pastime of complaining when solution is needed. I believe we have the talent to win the world cup, at least if we plan for it starting with the Manu generation.

There are key things we need to put in place to have a realistic chance
1. Good grassroot program to spot and nurture talents
2. Good progression into senior football. That means well managed career progression with affiliation to clubs that nurture young talents.
3. Player mentality. Poverty sometimes lead to wrong choices when young guys start seeing money they only dream about.
4. Player commitment. Our players must want to be the first players and nation to win the wc. It must drive them daily.
5. The NFF must step up and actually provide enabling environment to make it happen. That includes on and off field synergy.
6. As fans we fust be patient. You don't build a formidable team by constantly changing personnel. We should stop picking the team for the manager
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...shocking to argue 'we' don't know why 'we' can't translate u-something winning to SE.

Start with assembling and camping players together for prolong time...happens at u-something level but will never happen at SE
Then have a viable and lucrative well run league at home so that some of our bright and up and coming talents don't go wasting away abroad.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Age age age
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

obaGol wrote:You're not gonna replicate anything above U17 if you have petty, incompetent and corrupt coaches like Ugbade who scapegoat the players and fail to prepare for their opponents. Ugbade and Manu had the best U20 talent since 1996 and they wasted it. They selected awful defenders and a hopeless goalkeeper. Then they left talent on the bench . No game plan, no strategy, nothing!.
Part of Nigeria's endemic corruption and general incompetence you are happily extending to our coaches is when people do not do any research whatsoever, but noisily open mouth gboa-gboa to talk absolute rubbish with the supreme confidence of Aristotle.
I am sure you have not an iota of evidence to back up your claims in a logical debate, but have said it anyway and will probably stand by your assertions to the bitter end.
That too is corruption and you are part of the problem. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Ugbade :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: This guy cracks me up :lol: :lol: He was talking like one of those comedians (i.e. Giringori, Baba Suwe, etc).
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

wale1974 wrote:Age age age
Wale, this your post na proper lazy man's analysis.

Did you watch the program?

Nduka Ugbade like many of his contemporaries understands what it takes to make it at the highest level. The sad part is that when these players make it due to personal efforts, they are saddled with a very incompetent NFF who rather devote time on prayers than staffing the national team with adequate staff and compensating them as at when due.

How can you win a WC when there hasn't been any single world cup we have participated in that is devoid of drama?

We are already at a disadvantage and we then connive to even put ourselves in more of a disadvantage.

Success at the highest level is not by accident... the amount of work and dedication it takes to win the WC is on a whole different level.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

success at U17 does not translate well to senior level...Ugbade made some very strong points. Many of the players from the U17 tournament in Nigeria (2009) are completely out of football today, and of those playing most are not playing at the top level.

Check out the Swiss team that beat Nigeria in the finals and see how they are doing :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIFA ... Cup_squads
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

nanijoe wrote:success at U17 does not translate well to senior level...Ugbade made some very strong points. Many of the players from the U17 tournament in Nigeria (2009) are completely out of football today, and of those playing most are not playing at the top level.

Check out the Swiss team that beat Nigeria in the finals and see how they are doing :

Nduka's analysis was quite impressive and compelling.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
nanijoe wrote:success at U17 does not translate well to senior level...Ugbade made some very strong points. Many of the players from the U17 tournament in Nigeria (2009) are completely out of football today, and of those playing most are not playing at the top level.

Nduka's analysis was quite impressive and compelling.
If only I had the time.
A comparative analysis of players' career progression from the U17 WC would make very interesting reading.
From the 2009 squads for example, a quick scan of Nigeria, Brazil, Argentina and Switzerland show the results to be pretty much the same for all: very few made it to the very top clubs and very few even made it to their own national teams. Of course, Brazil being Brazil happened to have Neymar and Coutinho in those squads. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I have been saying this fir years, wale isn't sharp, he posted a word 3 times as his rebuttal :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Ugbade knows his football, but communicating it clearly in English is a struggle for the man.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

U-21 Euro-21 player of the tournament.

Goes to Real Madrid

Now at Banyias , United Arab Emirates at age 28

age, age , age ..
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

amafolas wrote:Ugbade knows his football, but communicating it clearly in English is a struggle for the man.
He got his point across though.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

Cellular wrote:
Wale, this your post na proper lazy man's analysis.

Did you watch the program?

Nduka Ugbade like many of his contemporaries understands what it takes to make it at the highest level. The sad part is that when these players make it due to personal efforts, they are saddled with a very incompetent NFF who rather devote time on prayers than staffing the national team with adequate staff and compensating them as at when due.

How can you win a WC when there hasn't been any single world cup we have participated in that is devoid of drama?

We are already at a disadvantage and we then connive to even put ourselves in more of a disadvantage.

Success at the highest level is not by accident... the amount of work and dedication it takes to win the WC is on a whole different level.
I am actually quite pissed that you decided to dignify such simplistic reasoning with a response.
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

obaGol wrote:You're not gonna replicate anything above U17 if you have petty, incompetent and corrupt coaches like Ugbade who scapegoat the players and fail to prepare for their opponents. Ugbade and Manu had the best U20 talent since 1996 and they wasted it. They selected awful defenders and a hopeless goalkeeper. Then they left talent on the bench . No game plan, no strategy, nothing!

That's why we don't win U20. Our boys can rely on speed and raw talent at U17. At U20, the opposition is strong and their so is their tactical awareness and training. The only coach to come close to that was Siasia because he prepared well and selected his players well. If he was our U20 coach this year, we would have been in the final.
What stopped him from making it to the WYC finals in 2009? or AAG 2015?
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

GIN wrote:
obaGol wrote:You're not gonna replicate anything above U17 if you have petty, incompetent and corrupt coaches like Ugbade who scapegoat the players and fail to prepare for their opponents. Ugbade and Manu had the best U20 talent since 1996 and they wasted it. They selected awful defenders and a hopeless goalkeeper. Then they left talent on the bench . No game plan, no strategy, nothing!

Talent!!
I am happy
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Dammy wrote:
GIN wrote:

Talent!!
I guess the 09 FE team were a bunch of "talentless wastepipes".
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099