Game Thread: Egypt 1-0 Nigeria FT No NGR ANC!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

globalinksnn
Egg
Egg
Re: Game Thread: Egypt 1-0 Nigeria FT No NGR ANC!

Post by globalinksnn »

It was always going to be difficult to get the better of Egyptians with their ultra defensive strategy.
they were only happy to counter attack. well it was all our fault, if we had won on friday they would have attacked us and we would have been able to capitalize on the openings.

however Ighalo is never a lead striker neva neva.

musa is neva going to be a great winger(we did not need him in the game today

we will qualify for WC, if we can start immediate preparations.

This team will beat any african team if some of the weeds in the team are removed (musa , ighalo)
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Siasia really messed up not starting Iwobi in any of the two games. He's our best AM by a mile. His movement and passing ability would have freed up Ighalo. Musa and Ighalo are really suffering in out current set up. Musa because he plays out wide and Ighalo because he gets little service.

Siasia probably likes Umar because of his workrate, which is probably the same reason Keshi liked Babatunde, and Oliseh liked Igboun. But like the aforementioned players, Umar doesn't know what to do with the ball in the final third.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Coach wrote:@Oloye, in regards to the all that going on around them, again, it comes down to mentality, winners win. Nigeria, having been crowned in 2013, sought to lose their throne at earliest opportunity and have neither the self-belief nor strength in heart to seize it back.
I hear you coach
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

olu wrote:Siasia really messed up not starting Iwobi in any of the two games. He's our best AM by a mile. His movement and passing ability would have freed up Ighalo. Musa and Ighalo are really suffering in out current set up. Musa because he plays out wide and Ighalo because he gets little service.

Siasia probably likes Umar because of his workrate, which is probably the same reason Keshi liked Babatunde, and Oliseh liked Igboun. But like the aforementioned players, Umar doesn't know what to do with the ball in the final third.
Iwobi is the best AM and yet Arsenal dey where again?

Babatunde and Umar are not in the same league, Umar is not the reason we did win today. Go and watch umar interchange play with Lawal and That other African guy
In Turkey, We r not playing this players where they can excel. We need to stop inviting them if we can't use them right.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Umar was played in the wrong position. He is best used on the right wing or probably as a striker but not as an AM. Iwobi is still better than any other options we have. Wenger starting him against Barcelona over more experienced players is a sign of how highly rated he is. Could you see a team like Arsenal showing interest in any of our other AMs?
rasak74 wrote:
olu wrote:Siasia really messed up not starting Iwobi in any of the two games. He's our best AM by a mile. His movement and passing ability would have freed up Ighalo. Musa and Ighalo are really suffering in out current set up. Musa because he plays out wide and Ighalo because he gets little service.

Babatunde and Umar are not in the same league, Umar is not the reason we did win today. Go and watch umar interchange play with Lawal and That other African guy
In Turkey, We r not playing this players where they can excel. We need to stop inviting them if we can't use them right.
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

olu wrote:Umar was played in the wrong position. He is best used on the right wing or probably as a striker but not as an AM. Iwobi is still better than any other options we have. Wenger starting him against Barcelona over more experienced players is a sign of how highly rated he is. Could you see a team like Arsenal showing interest in any of our other AMs?

rasak74 wrote:

Thank you, Umar should be played as a winger just like in his club, Musa as a striker and Iwobi as a winger....nothing more nothing less. Let dem excel in their natural position.
Last edited by rasak74 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Hindsight is always 20-20. If we believe SE then we definitely would have won this game if those who did not start were the ones who started. IMHO, that is nothing but hogwash.

If you watched the game carefully, then you would have to admit that the Egyptian team at home was no easy opponent. Respect that. Even when we controlled possession we never threatened their goal as they did at our end. It was not just because we didn't have our best player it was ALSO THE TACTICS USED BY EGYPT. They always had numbers behind the ball. It appeared that they had a sweeper back their who served as the "safety switch." They always found him when they could not go forward with possession and then we never really pressured the guy. Give credit to Egypt and their coach. One hundred Iwobis, Iheanachos, Baloguns, Ikemes, you name them may not have made the difference. Sometimes acknowledge the other team can play too and today Egypt did what IMO should have been anticipated i.e earn a point or win it. Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Enugu II wrote:Hindsight is always 20-20. If we believe SE then we definitely would have won this game if those who did not start were the ones who started. IMHO, that is nothing but hogwash.

If you watched the game carefully, then you would have to admit that the Egyptian team at home was no easy opponent. Respect that. Even when we controlled possession we never threatened their goal as they did at our end. It was not just because we didn't have our best player it was ALSO THE TACTICS USED BY EGYPT. They always had numbers behind the ball. It appeared that they had a sweeper back their who served as the "safety switch." They always found him when they could not go forward with possession and then we never really pressured the guy. Give credit to Egypt and their coach. One hundred Iwobis, Iheanachos, Baloguns, Ikemes, you name them may not have made the difference. Sometimes acknowledge the other team can play too and today Egypt did what IMO should have been anticipated i.e earn a point or win it. Just my tuppence.
God bless you my broda, u sabi.
Internet gangster
Troll
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Game Thread: Egypt 0-0 Nigeria

Post by bamenda boy »

paj wrote:E get one kin' shiite wey come dey catch me now...the last time my bowels move like this we were playing Sudan away after tieing 0-0 in Lagos...we skatta dem 4-0 that day..
Pa
Jinxter
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:Hindsight is always 20-20. If we believe SE then we definitely would have won this game if those who did not start were the ones who started. IMHO, that is nothing but hogwash.

Prof., you never lied ever since I have known you.

What the NFF should do is not to make another emotional decision. What us fans should do on our part acknowledge that there's no substitute for hard work and preparation.

We are not good enough to throw players together and expect to beat a TEAM.

Once the administrators (NFF) and us fans understand that a TEAM is forged over time and is a function of continuity (understanding each other) then we can begin to expect wins. Never in my life will l plant a seed and expect divine intervention to nurture it.

I am so proud of the players for leaving everything on the field. They gave way more than we deserved.
Any other result would have made a mockery of the importance of preparation and doing so without distractions.

THANK YOU TO THE PLAYERS!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

EJIAGHA
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

GG guys, well behaved as always. If only you guys could teach the Ghanaians proper manners as well.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Cellular wrote:

Prof., you never lied ever since I have known you.

What the NFF should do is not to make another emotional decision. What us fans should do on our part acknowledge that there's no substitute for hard work and preparation.

We are not good enough to throw players together and expect to beat a TEAM.

Once the administrators (NFF) and us fans understand that a TEAM is forged over time and is a function of continuity (understanding each other) then we can begin to expect wins. Never in my life will l plant a seed and expect divine intervention to nurture it.

I am so proud of the players for leaving everything on the field. They gave way more than we deserved.
Any other result would have made a mockery of the importance of preparation and doing so without distractions.

THANK YOU TO THE PLAYERS!
Well said chief! The players did their very best, and their efforts showed.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
patrick
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by patrick »

oloye wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
But when Etebo scored he was being hailed as superstar..some of these shadowy writers are part of the rot.
SMH!!! Amuzie has played 6 games after returning from Injury. http://ca.soccerway.com/players/stanley-amuzie/435681/

Aminu is one of the best Nigerian players in Europe, won like 4 MOTMs this season and there is no way he will not be ranked among top 20 Nigerian players in Europe.

Etebo was good against Egypt in Kaduna, there is no way a sane coach will drop him after the 1st Leg.

Shehu: is a very good player, a regular player for his club and his call up to SE is justified due to his versatility. He is not a RB, I told Oliseh that against good wingers dude will be exposed.

I had an argument with Muyiwalawal before WC when he rated Uchebo ahead Imoh Ezekiel. He kept a sealed lips when Keshi invited a recuperating Gabriel Reuben and a Reserve player; Uche Nwofor. Thank God the truth is gradually coming out.
When people try to use you to gain relevance, just ignore them. It pains them even more
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:I won't miss SE not being in CAN because I won't even bother watching.
I can wager a bet you will be watching...you will get over today and life moves on. :D
True dat! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will support my second teams, CIV and anyone Ghana is playing. :thumbs:
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Disappointing result no doubt but for some reason I m not sad. I see promise in this team if we have the patience to actually let them gel instead of chop and change because of a bad result. I hope we can actually see the positives and build on it
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

akamoke wrote:Disappointing result no doubt but for some reason I m not sad. I see promise in this team if we have the patience to actually let them gel instead of chop and change because of a bad result. I hope we can actually see the positives and build on it
you see promise in a team that couldn't attempt a decent attack till the 80th minute? lol you are part of the problem of Nigerian football
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote:
oscar52 wrote:The players on the field were just not good enough period. During the half time they showed the Cameroon and SA game and the quality gulf was just too evident. Those guys were mobile and strong while both Nigeria and Eqypt looked like they were sleep walking. The game could have gone on for two more days and NGR would still not have scored.
And the fact that we were chaotic in our preparations does not factor? All the rubbish going on around the team that led to the loss of our best keeper does not factor? Hiring 3 coaches in the spate of two years each trying to rebuild does not factor?

This is the problem with us as a nation ,we down play the importance of adequate preparation and stability while demanding excellence. It is the reason for the ills in our society,seriously my good friend.

In order to make a proper comparison, you need to go all the way..as they say better soup,na money make am! We were effectively out before today,but since we are eternal optimist as a nation we kept on believing we could nick it even when stats kept screaming at us you are out!
KPOM!!!
Nuff said.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:get rid of pinnick, mikel, the 'old players' .....because they don't play to instruction and sia1......very dubious selection bordering on cluelessness with a hint of spivving
Typical.
Replace Mikel with whom? Etebo? Onazi? Tell me one player we have that plays one touch football apart from maybe Iwobi.
Mention one player with such a high pass completion rate.
Becos he is not rushing around like a headless chicken does not subtract the fact that his ball retention is unmatched.

YOU CANNOT SCORE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE BALL, DUH!!!!

Typical misdiagnosis with knee-jerk reaction. How are you any different from all the clueless NFF and even some of the coaches?
Remove Mikel nah, make we see who you wan take replace am. :roll:
You have to admit that when we are chasing a game, Mikel offers nothing. There was a time VM fed him just infront of the 18, another player whould have driven on and shot but he just slowed the game down. Also the time he miskicked the ball in the first half. For a WC player he has the worst offensive ability I have seen. We need to at least re-appraise his role in that team or surround him with players that make up for his shortcomings.

That short man that came in displayed more offensive nuance in 15 minutes than Mikel in the whole game.
Its like saying when you are chasing a game, take off all your defenders and even your 'Keeper, paapa. Replace them with strikers.
It doesn't work that way. I know the very incident you are referring to and I was equally infuriated. But what Mikel gives to the team (midfield stability) is by far, far in excess of what he detracts from it (offensive pace). Its a no brainer.
Mikel's game is not JJ Okocha's game. It is not Onazi's game. His primary role is to stabilise the midfield and by so doing stabilise the team. What percentage of his playing time should he be 'chasing' the game?

Watching yesterday, any time Mikel had the ball, I was confident we were truly in possession, the ball would go to another NIGERIAN player, and NOBODY would take that ball off him.
When he was available - which he always was - I was sure that if need be, his one-touch pass would STILL find a Nigerian player. Just get the ball to him. Finish.
That is his role in the centre of the park and yet again it is those simple things he does so effortlessly that makes people underappreciate the crucial role he plays. Right now,there is NOBODY that has that commanding presence in midfield that we have as a replacement. Nobody. Maybe give Kelechi Nwakali a few years, but right now there are no guarantees.

For that clever pass in the final third, you need an Iwobi or an Iheanacho. Getting Mikel to go offensive up there is risking far too much. Beating defenders one-on-one is not his strong point. He doesn't have pace for one. The chances taken by making him offensively take on defenders will drastically drop his ball retention rate and what's worse, that midfield develops a hole into which the opponents will flood. It happened a few times yesterday when he was caught upfield.

Our offensive problems are not Mikel related. I am no Bigporkey-type 'Mikelmaniac', but this predictable knee-jerk misdiagnosis and reaction to Mikel's role is like that of a harried doctor deciding in his blind panic to amputate your left leg after a minor stroke.

The team should be retained with minor reinforcements here and there, with Mikel as bona fide captain.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

I honestly don't get the complaints from some of you. I can't believe you actually thought Nigeria was really going to qualify after all the backroom drama. Nigeria frustrates me like most of you and I'm no Siasia fan but expecting him to qualify for the ANC with such lousy preparation (mostly not his fault) is pretty asinine. However, what I watched when Iwobi came on was a spectacle I haven't witnessed in the SE in a very long time so it gives me a bit of hope that when the backroom drama gets less political the future of the SE is bright.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

Damunk wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:get rid of pinnick, mikel, the 'old players' .....because they don't play to instruction and sia1......very dubious selection bordering on cluelessness with a hint of spivving
Typical.
Replace Mikel with whom? Etebo? Onazi? Tell me one player we have that plays one touch football apart from maybe Iwobi.
Mention one player with such a high pass completion rate.
Becos he is not rushing around like a headless chicken does not subtract the fact that his ball retention is unmatched.

YOU CANNOT SCORE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE BALL, DUH!!!!

Typical misdiagnosis with knee-jerk reaction. How are you any different from all the clueless NFF and even some of the coaches?
Remove Mikel nah, make we see who you wan take replace am. :roll:
You have to admit that when we are chasing a game, Mikel offers nothing. There was a time VM fed him just infront of the 18, another player whould have driven on and shot but he just slowed the game down. Also the time he miskicked the ball in the first half. For a WC player he has the worst offensive ability I have seen. We need to at least re-appraise his role in that team or surround him with players that make up for his shortcomings.

That short man that came in displayed more offensive nuance in 15 minutes than Mikel in the whole game.
Its like saying when you are chasing a game, take off all your defenders and even your 'Keeper, paapa. Replace them with strikers.
It doesn't work that way. I know the very incident you are referring to and I was equally infuriated. But what Mikel gives to the team (midfield stability) is by far, far in excess of what he detracts from it (offensive pace). Its a no brainer.
Mikel's game is not JJ Okocha's game. It is not Onazi's game. His primary role is to stabilise the midfield and by so doing stabilise the team. What percentage of his playing time should he be 'chasing' the game?

Watching yesterday, any time Mikel had the ball, I was confident we were truly in possession, the ball would go to another NIGERIAN player, and NOBODY would take that ball off him.
When he was available - which he always was - I was sure that if need be, his one-touch pass would STILL find a Nigerian player. Just get the ball to him. Finish.
That is his role in the centre of the park and yet again it is those simple things he does so effortlessly that makes people underappreciate the crucial role he plays. Right now,there is NOBODY that has that commanding presence in midfield that we have as a replacement. Nobody. Maybe give Kelechi Nwakali a few years, but right now there are no guarantees.

For that clever pass in the final third, you need an Iwobi or an Iheanacho. Getting Mikel to go offensive up there is risking far too much. Beating defenders one-on-one is not his strong point. He doesn't have pace for one. The chances taken by making him offensively take on defenders will drastically drop his ball retention rate and what's worse, that midfield develops a hole into which the opponents will flood. It happened a few times yesterday when he was caught upfield.

Our offensive problems are not Mikel related. I am no Bigporkey-type 'Mikelmanic', but this predictable knee-jerk misdiagnosis and reaction to Mikel's role is like that of a harried doctor deciding in his blind panic to amputate your left leg after a minor stroke.

The team should be retained with minor reinforcements here and there, with Mikel as bona fide captain.
NO, the team should be disbanded, what more can the likes of Mikel, Onazi, Echejilie, Efe etc offer us at this point Damunk? for once be truthful to yourself...our players are glorified dead weights! lets salvage the few positives from this team- Iwobi, Ihenacho, Vic Moses,and Simon and maybe Musa...inject younger players from the Olympic crop to form the new Super Eagles team ahead of the world cup.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Hector Cuper is not a slouch!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

oloye wrote:
Gotti wrote:
oloye wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
But when Etebo scored he was being hailed as superstar..some of these shadowy writers are part of the rot.
So we are calling muyiwalawal a "shadowy writer" these days... :lol:
Frankly, I have no qualms with Etebo (and Amuzie) on the team, and we know Shehu is a result of circumstance.
He has always been :D ...i was waiting for him to out himself.
Funny how Muyiwa never, ever called Keshi out like that.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"