Nigeria keen on Tammy Abraham

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

papilo
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria keen on Tammy Abraham

Post by papilo »

txj wrote:
Zelex wrote:
oyek wrote:
papilo wrote:
heavyd wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Pinnick: Chelsea’s Abraham Is Like My Son, We’ll Get Him For Nigeria

13 OCT 2016
By Johnny Edward

The President of the Nigerian Football Federation Amaju Pinnick has dropped a hint that it will not be difficult to get Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham to switch from England and play for Nigeria in the near future, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Abraham, 19, is regarded as one of the most exciting young talents in English football and is often compared to Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford.

The tall centre forward was born to Nigerian parents but has played for England U-18s, U-19s and recently made his U-21s debut.

Abraham has scored 11 goals in his first 14 Championship and EFL Cup games for Bristol City, where he is on loan from Chelsea, and bagged a brace in his first start for England U-21s.

Pinnick revealed that he is in touch with the parents of the youngster, who was named the Championship player for the month of September.

“Tammy Abraham’s dad is my childhood friend, we grew up in the same neighbourhood in Warri,” Pinnick revealed in chat which Completesportsnigeria.com had access to.

“We speak quite often. Just finished another convo with him now. When we are ready, I am sure the NFF will not have any problem in securing his release. Tammy is like a son to me.”

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/pi ... -will-get/
The sensible thing to do would have been to pick a few of these guys and blood them in the u21 and/or u23 teams. Here they would have begun to gain an even closer affinity for Nigeria. Imagine if a couple of them were in the u23 team that went to the Olympics. With the likes of Abraham and Ejaria we may have even gotten to the final. There is no point waiting till they are on the verge of playing for England then start scrambling to change their minds. Someone nees to be courting them, asking the likes of Mikel, Iwobi and kelechi to speak to them and encourage them. We need to build these relationships and this should be done over time not at a whim.
I agree but the truth is the European international youth set up is different from Africa's. In Europe, all national teams (from senior teams to almost all youth teams) play games during the international window. Which means clubs don't have a problem releasing youth players to play for their national teams. Our under 17, 20 and 23 qualifiers in Africa do not fall within the fifa calendar. This is a problem. What the NFF could do is arrange under 23 friendly games same time with the senior national team games and probably play a day earlier. This way, we could invite some of these guys so they get a feel of what it means being a Nigeria international and they know that they are not tied which means if they don't like it, they still have an opportunity to change their minds. Inviting a player like Iorfa or Aina for the first time for a world cup qualifier won't cut it. It is a risk for both the player and even the manager. Nigeria only raises youth teams when there is a tournament or qualifier around the corner.
Very intelligent point.
Indeed. :agree:

Actually disagree.

1. The key thing here is to build relationships, not necessarily to tie players down with youth football, cus they can always change their minds! If you build the relationship early, the rest will simply fall in place.

How to do that? Use ex-players as ambassadors, in a manner that is target specific.

2. B/c of the uncertainties in youth football, you probably want to wait for players to fully emerge as real prospects before making a final move. I would suggest that the best case scenario atm would be Ejaria, Ojo, Aina and Lookman.
I think we are saying similar things except I am mistaking. Friendly games at under 23 level does not tie them down but rather builds a relationship and makes them know what it feels like playing for Nigeria or at least being in camp.
yes o
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

heavyd wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

13 OCT 2016
By Johnny Edward

The President of the Nigerian Football Federation Amaju Pinnick has dropped a hint that it will not be difficult to get Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham to switch from England and play for Nigeria in the near future, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Abraham, 19, is regarded as one of the most exciting young talents in English football and is often compared to Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford.

The tall centre forward was born to Nigerian parents but has played for England U-18s, U-19s and recently made his U-21s debut.

Abraham has scored 11 goals in his first 14 Championship and EFL Cup games for Bristol City, where he is on loan from Chelsea, and bagged a brace in his first start for England U-21s.

Pinnick revealed that he is in touch with the parents of the youngster, who was named the Championship player for the month of September.

“Tammy Abraham’s dad is my childhood friend, we grew up in the same neighbourhood in Warri,” Pinnick revealed in chat which Completesportsnigeria.com had access to.

“We speak quite often. Just finished another convo with him now. When we are ready, I am sure the NFF will not have any problem in securing his release. Tammy is like a son to me.”

The sensible thing to do would have been to pick a few of these guys and blood them in the u21 and/or u23 teams. Here they would have begun to gain an even closer affinity for Nigeria. Imagine if a couple of them were in the u23 team that went to the Olympics. With the likes of Abraham and Ejaria we may have even gotten to the final. There is no point waiting till they are on the verge of playing for England then start scrambling to change their minds. Someone nees to be courting them, asking the likes of Mikel, Iwobi and kelechi to speak to them and encourage them. We need to build these relationships and this should be done over time not at a whim.
Remember the botched U20 managed by Amunike had intended to incorporate some of them into the team before their sudden demise.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

^^
My broda, don't waste your time with TJ's ex. He just comes on CE seeking attention. What he wrote is not different from the point you made. He just saw that several people agreed and couldn't resist the chance to be a voice od dissent. It's getting old.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Zelex wrote:
oyek wrote:
papilo wrote:
heavyd wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

13 OCT 2016
By Johnny Edward

I agree but the truth is the European international youth set up is different from Africa's. In Europe, all national teams (from senior teams to almost all youth teams) play games during the international window. Which means clubs don't have a problem releasing youth players to play for their national teams. Our under 17, 20 and 23 qualifiers in Africa do not fall within the fifa calendar. This is a problem. What the NFF could do is arrange under 23 friendly games same time with the senior national team games and probably play a day earlier. This way, we could invite some of these guys so they get a feel of what it means being a Nigeria international and they know that they are not tied which means if they don't like it, they still have an opportunity to change their minds. Inviting a player like Iorfa or Aina for the first time for a world cup qualifier won't cut it. It is a risk for both the player and even the manager. Nigeria only raises youth teams when there is a tournament or qualifier around the corner.
Very intelligent point.

Actually disagree.

1. The key thing here is to build relationships, not necessarily to tie players down with youth football, cus they can always change their minds! If you build the relationship early, the rest will simply fall in place.

How to do that? Use ex-players as ambassadors, in a manner that is target specific.

2. B/c of the uncertainties in youth football, you probably want to wait for players to fully emerge as real prospects before making a final move. I would suggest that the best case scenario atm would be Ejaria, Ojo, Aina and Lookman.
I KPOM this post. :thumb:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Damunk wrote:
papilo wrote:It looks like if you are born abroad but want to play for Nigeria, all you have to do is don't say you want to play for Nigeria. Ovie Ejaria and Kenny Otigba openly 'pledged allegiance' to Nigeria and no word from the NFF meanwhile there are reports all over the internet about them approaching Tammy Abraham. Incredible.
I'm pretty sure you are stretching the truth here.
When did Ejaria make this 'open pledge' you refer to?
:source:
Seyi Ojo nko?
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:
Zelex wrote:
oyek wrote:
papilo wrote:
heavyd wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

13 OCT 2016
By Johnny Edward

Very intelligent point.

Actually disagree.

Oh geez, now that's a surprise :roll:

So NFF is now competent at using Ex players as "ambassadors" in a manner that is "target specific".
Target specific eh? Ori e ope. You've been watching too many espionage films

The "KEY" thing is to build relationship eh? Key ko, padlock ni. mssshhheewww. What do you think the English are doing by training these kids, using them in their u15, u17, u19, u21 teams?

So you want them to have a relationship with these kids right through age group, but in the mean time Picnic should send some of our "ambassadors" to sit with them and just keep talking to them until we think they are actually good as a senior footballers, then carry them by force come play for naija, sorry, I mean sweet talk them to come and play for naija?

Good people of CE, I've found Carlton Banks yawl :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

pajimoh wrote:Mouth, mouth. Secure the boy first before the English know what is going on.
We like to broadcast our intentions

Mannn!!!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Lol...you dey mind txj? Build relationships but wait till they are established at senior club level before making a move? What a joke!
This is akin to the the father who lets another man raise his child, pay his school fees, buy him clothes all the way from childhood to adulthood. Then show up the day the kid graduates college to say "hey son! Time to come home!"
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Abraham scored 2 in England's U21 5-0 victory over Bosnia a few days ago. His 2nd was particularly delightful. In that match, England featured Josh Onomah, Dominic Iorfa and Tammy Abraham and they were all excellent. Onomah also scored. It will be a big battle to get England to give these boys to Nigeria.
The question that needs to be put to these boys is "how many of you are realistically going to fit into the England team?" :idea:

There are so many of them and they are all the same age bracket.

England will never field a team full of Nigerians. Its just not going to happen. Imagine an England team full of Nigerian strikers, midfielders and defenders. You can easily field a strong England U-21 team full of top quality Naija boys today. There's even a 19-yr old Naija keeper rising fast that I was reading about just yesterday. Dem too many sef.

So these boys better see the bigger picture.

Same question could and should be asked with regard to the Nigerian team. I can understand for areas where we are woefully deficient like all across the Defense and perhaps in some aspects of the midfield, but a striker is coming into a pretty crowded field.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Damunk wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Abraham scored 2 in England's U21 5-0 victory over Bosnia a few days ago. His 2nd was particularly delightful. In that match, England featured Josh Onomah, Dominic Iorfa and Tammy Abraham and they were all excellent. Onomah also scored. It will be a big battle to get England to give these boys to Nigeria.
The question that needs to be put to these boys is "how many of you are realistically going to fit into the England team?" :idea:
:clap: :clap:

Kelechi (the Englishman) would have made the Euros team.

But would he have gotten any game time?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

bushboy wrote:Lol...you dey mind txj? Build relationships but wait till they are established at senior club level before making a move? What a joke!
This is akin to the the father who lets another man raise his child, pay his school fees, buy him clothes all the way from childhood to adulthood. Then show up the day the kid graduates college to say "hey son! Time to come home!"
But the father would have been building a relationship on the side so he's not just turning up at the graduate college on a whim, is he...?

I think what txj is saying is to open dialogue and build and maintain a relationship from an early stage, and when they're on the cusp of the senior team then make the formal approach.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

heavyd wrote:The sensible thing to do would have been to pick a few of these guys and blood them in the u21 and/or u23 teams. Here they would have begun to gain an even closer affinity for Nigeria. Imagine if a couple of them were in the u23 team that went to the Olympics. With the likes of Abraham and Ejaria we may have even gotten to the final. There is no point waiting till they are on the verge of playing for England then start scrambling to change their minds. Someone nees to be courting them, asking the likes of Mikel, Iwobi and kelechi to speak to them and encourage them. We need to build these relationships and this should be done over time not at a whim.
None of the good prospects would have been released by their clubs for the Olympics...
Only someone like Nathan Oduwa, who was on the outs at Spurs, could have made it to Rio.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Are we even looking for young players in Nigeria anymore?
OCCUPY NFF!!
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Zelex wrote:
oyek wrote:
papilo wrote:
heavyd wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

13 OCT 2016
By Johnny Edward

Very intelligent point.
Good idea, except NFF is broke

How would they pay for the flight for the U23, even if it takes place in Europe. Would it be all Euro based U23 ?

Would they pay the players bonuses ?

It is a good idea all the same and should be looked at it. Something I've often thought about as well
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...it's a slippery slope to come play for SE from a well fed comfy of the west.
A child born with silver spoon go come mess around with backward thieves. e no easy o!
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Tammy is good but there is nothing special about him to warrant SE call up.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

Hey, I have just thought of this great idea to tie these young players such as Ejaria, Tammy et al, with excellent potential to Nigeria. Let's find a competitive international game where the result is totally meaningless and then....oh wait a minute!!!
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

kbt wrote:Hey, I have just thought of this great idea to tie these young players such as Ejaria, Tammy et al, with excellent potential to Nigeria. Let's find a competitive international game where the result is totally meaningless and then....oh wait a minute!!!
What about young kids in Naija?
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
kbt
Egg
Egg

Post by kbt »

rasak74 wrote:
kbt wrote:Hey, I have just thought of this great idea to tie these young players such as Ejaria, Tammy et al, with excellent potential to Nigeria. Let's find a competitive international game where the result is totally meaningless and then....oh wait a minute!!!
What about young kids in Naija?

Their eligibility to play for another country is not in play
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote:
bushboy wrote:Lol...you dey mind txj? Build relationships but wait till they are established at senior club level before making a move? What a joke!
But the father would have been building a relationship on the side so he's not just turning up at the graduate college on a whim, is he...?

I think what txj is saying is to open dialogue and build and maintain a relationship from an early stage, and when they're on the cusp of the senior team then make the formal approach.

You'll think this was obvious wouldn't you :blush:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There is another young Nigerian kid that left the Spurs academy and moved to the Bundesliga. Not sure he is yet on the English FA's radar
Damunk wrote:

There are so many of them and they are all the same age bracket.

England will never field a team full of Nigerians. Its just not going to happen. Imagine an England team full of Nigerian strikers, midfielders and defenders. You can easily field a strong England U-21 team full of top quality Naija boys today. There's even a 19-yr old Naija keeper rising fast that I was reading about just yesterday. Dem too many sef.

So these boys better see the bigger picture.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

papilo wrote:
Damunk wrote:
papilo wrote:It looks like if you are born abroad but want to play for Nigeria, all you have to do is don't say you want to play for Nigeria. Ovie Ejaria and Kenny Otigba openly 'pledged allegiance' to Nigeria and no word from the NFF meanwhile there are reports all over the internet about them approaching Tammy Abraham. Incredible.
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ ... nd-4020804

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/09/ov ... llegiance/

Happy?
But of course! :thumb:
Never seen either of the two reports before...we just dey hear am.
Thanks.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
papilo wrote:
Damunk wrote:
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ ... nd-4020804

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/09/ov ... llegiance/

Happy?
But of course! :thumb:
Never seen either of the two reports before...we just dey hear am.
Thanks.
if it's true Ejaria wants in, the question should be why has Pinnick not arrange a picnic with the boy?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!