UEFA Prez Considers Salary Cap as Gulf btw Rich & Poor Grows

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
UEFA Prez Considers Salary Cap as Gulf btw Rich & Poor Grows

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: UEFA Prez Considers Salary Cap as Gulf btw Rich & Poor G

Post by txj »

Was inevitable really...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:Was inevitable really...
Agreed. For me, two things were increasingly dangerous:

1. The gulf was clearly anti-competition almost creating a farm system for the extremely rich clubs.

2. Without action, clubs may go bankrupt (Several already in the red) as competition to pay bloated wages escalates uncontrollably.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:

1. The gulf was clearly anti-competition almost creating a farm system for the extremely rich clubs.

2. Without action, clubs may go bankrupt (Several already in the red) as competition to pay bloated wages escalates uncontrollably.

There will be resistance to this idea, esp in England. But this will be limited by the fact of American owners. I know John Henry at Liverpool has been pushing this from Day 1.

On ur 2nd point, without salary cap, I expect a similar collapse as the mortgage crisis in the US, a point I had made here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232817&start=575

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

There will be resistance to this idea, esp in England. But this will be limited by the fact of American owners. I know John Henry at Liverpool has been pushing this from Day 1.

On ur 2nd point, without salary cap, I expect a similar collapse as the mortgage crisis in the US, a point I had made here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232817&start=575

Definitely. There will be resistance but Ceferin has stated from the start that his position is to represent the have-nots and he has the numbers although the powerful clubs often push through with the ECA under Rummenigge's leadership. It will be interesting but it is an idea that should hep everyone and create a more level playing field.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Definitely. There will be resistance but Ceferin has stated from the start that his position is to represent the have-nots and he has the numbers although the powerful clubs often push through with the ECA under Rummenigge's leadership. It will be interesting but it is an idea that should hep everyone and create a more level playing field.
Whatever powers he thinks he has only relate to European competitions and if he tries to take away the advantages enjoyed by the bigger clubs, those clubs will leave his competition and go form their own. I have no doubt that Ceferin knows this better than anyone and he's just playing to the gallery.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

I am sure Barca will be delighted to pay the same wages as Levante.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
Danny Blanchflower
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

toyin133 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Whatever powers he thinks he has only relate to European competitions and if he tries to take away the advantages enjoyed by the bigger clubs, those clubs will leave his competition and go form their own. I have no doubt that Ceferin knows this better than anyone and he's just playing to the gallery.
If he gets the backing of govts and the EU then he can make it work. Clubs will have to abide by those laws just like tax laws so even if they create their own leagues they'd still be bound by the same laws as long as they hope to play in Europe. For the past few months I've been following the NBA off season trying to figure out how my Celtics can pull off blockbuster trades and it's nerve-racking. Just making the numbers work even if you have the money, you have to let go of good players to offset the addition of great ones. A team like Real Madrid will have to shed a lot of big contracts just to meet cap.

I'd so love to see it happen. The parity world make the league ultra competitive and that much more interesting.

As high as the quality of the la liga and bundesliga are I can't bear watching either cos of the imbalance and lack of parity. One season Bayern won the league by around Christmas by like a gazillion points. It's Bayern and the rest. As soon as a quality player pops up in a rival team they pounce and strip them bare. It's barely better in Spain where it's either Barca or Real...with the occasional Atleti. I can't handle that. It's why I still find the EPL they most interesting of the lot cos there's at least four or five possibilities for the title...by far the most of any of the top leagues.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

theYemster wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

If he gets the backing of govts and the EU then he can make it work. Clubs will have to abide by those laws just like tax laws so even if they create their own leagues they'd still be bound by the same laws as long as they hope to play in Europe. For the past few months I've been following the NBA off season trying to figure out how my Celtics can pull off blockbuster trades and it's nerve-racking. Just making the numbers work even if you have the money, you have to let go of good players to offset the addition of great ones. A team like Real Madrid will have to shed a lot of big contracts just to meet cap.

I'd so love to see it happen. The parity world make the league ultra competitive and that much more interesting.

As high as the quality of the la liga and bundesliga are I can't bear watching either cos of the imbalance and lack of parity. One season Bayern won the league by around Christmas by like a gazillion points. It's Bayern and the rest. As soon as a quality player pops up in a rival team they pounce and strip them bare. It's barely better in Spain where it's either Barca or Real...with the occasional Atleti. I can't handle that. It's why I still find the EPL they most interesting of the lot cos there's at least four or five possibilities for the title...by far the most of any of the top leagues.
The EU is committed to open competition and free movement so I think it is over optimistic to believe that it will go against the principles it has espoused for the past 50 years because of football.
UEFA has no say in how the Bundesliga or La Liga is run.
Danny Blanchflower
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Clearly you have no idea how the salary cap system works, understandable cus its a largely American thing.

Salary caps operate at the upper limit and are set yearly.

NFL salary cap for 2017 season set at $167 million

The NFL salary cap for the 2017 league year has been set at $167 million, a league official told NFL Network's Judy Battista on Wednesday.

The figure represents a more than $12 million raise over last year's cap figure on $155.27 million. Since 2012, the cap has been increased by about $47 million. It marks the fourth straight year the cap has gone up by more than $10 million over the previous year.

Most NFL teams are heading into free agency with ample cap space. With free agency set to begin March 9, there could be plenty of big deals for a free agency group that isn't as packed with as much star power as in seasons past.

Here's a look at the available salary-cap space for each NFL team, according to Overthecap.com (as of March 1):

Browns: $102,346,421

49ers: $76,963,264

Jaguars: $70,979,709

Buccaneers: $66,136,718

Titans: $61,389,464

Patriots: $59,667,426

Colts: $53,238,812

Bears: $51,366,002

Raiders: $42,931,487

Broncos: $42,064,799

Bengals: $41,995,339

Dolphins: $41,050,292

Packers: $39,995,981

Vikings: $37,949,218

Panthers: $36,588,761

Rams: $36,394,280

Redskins: $34,477,921

Lions: $31,797,575

Saints: $27,347,284

Jets: $26,278,320

Seahawks: $25,931,999

Steelers: $23,615,733

Texans: $23,396,261

Bills: $18,185,833

Falcons: $17,870,046

Cardinals: $17,065,989

Ravens: $13,810,289

Giants: $13,282,686

Chiefs: $9,592,207

Eagles: $8,692,349

Chargers: $5,190,314

Cowboys: $3,311,937

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 67-million

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

toyin133 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

The EU is committed to open competition and free movement so I think it is over optimistic to believe that it will go against the principles it has espoused for the past 50 years because of football.

It has nothing to do with free movement. The statutes that establish UEFA and FIFA allow both to make rules to govern the game.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

It has nothing to do with free movement. The statutes that establish UEFA and FIFA allow both to make rules to govern the game.
Pls tell me what statutes allow UEFA to make rules regarding a salary cap.
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Clearly you have no idea how the salary cap system works, understandable cus its a largely American thing.

The NFL salary cap for the 2017 league year has been set at $167 million, a league official told NFL Network's Judy Battista on Wednesday.

The figure represents a more than $12 million raise over last year's cap figure on $155.27 million. Since 2012, the cap has been increased by about $47 million. It marks the fourth straight year the cap has gone up by more than $10 million over the previous year.

Most NFL teams are heading into free agency with ample cap space. With free agency set to begin March 9, there could be plenty of big deals for a free agency group that isn't as packed with as much star power as in seasons past.

Here's a look at the available salary-cap space for each NFL team, according to Overthecap.com (as of March 1):

What does this have to do with anything?
Henry is in favour of a salary cap because keeping down wages enables the owners to make greater profits.
Danny Blanchflower
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

The NBA reduced there's by a couple of millions to about $99m.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Henry is in favour of a salary cap because keeping down wages enables the owners to make greater profits.

Everything, including the profits you referenced. But its not so much a case of keeping down wages as setting budget limits. NFL and NBA salaries are pretty competitive....

From a football perspective, it promotes parity and competitiveness. I imagine that teams that are able to build from within academy systems will have an advantage.

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

You need to go understand how it works. It has a lot to do.

Salary cap DOESN'T reduce individual player's wages, it regulates the team's total combined wage bill. It ensures structuring. The only way your wages reduce is if you accept a pay cut to stay in a particular team. But your quality, stats, years of service etc already puts you in a preset pay scale regardless of team the team you play for. For a team to accommodate you they have to shed other salaries to keep the team under cap then go the team with other (presumably lesser) players whose salaries can fit into your remaining cap space. Now those players who dont fit in your cap space based on their own projected pay scale will fit into another team with available cap space that can accommodate their salary and also had need for the player's services. So what it does is it ensures a wider spread of talent pool. For that reason a Real Madrid cannot have Ronaldo, Bale, Ramos, Messi, Neymar and Suarez on the same team even if they can afford the money. Their salaries alone will take them over the cap that they won't be able to accommodate (even if they have the physical cash in the bank to pay) the salaries of the remaining players on the squad. And since slavery has been abolished, they can't play for free.
Last edited by theYemster on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

And how is this supposed to work? Bayern, Real and Chelsea subject to the same salary cap as Steaua Bukarest? I think that Bayern is spending more than twice as much on wages than Dortmund, I don't even want to mention the smaller teams (HSV roughly 1/5). Also what are clubs like Bayern supposed to do with the money? Barca, Real and most German clubs don't have owners who take out the money.

Better forms of distribution would be better (CL and Europa League price money, compensation fee etc), maybe implement a "tax" on transfers exceeding a certain amount and distribute it to smaller teams.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Everything, including the profits you referenced. But its not so much a case of keeping down wages as setting budget limits. NFL and NBA salaries are pretty competitive....

From a football perspective, it promotes parity and competitiveness. I imagine that teams that are able to build from within academy systems will have an advantage.
You don't understand my point. The NBA/NFL are franchises operating in a restricted marketplace. They cannot be relegated and they do not produce their own players. How can you seriously compare that marketplace with football in Europe?
Danny Blanchflower
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

theYemster wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

You need to go understand how it works. It has a lot to do.

Salary cap DOESN'T reduce individual player's wages, it reduces the team's total combined wage bill. It allows structuring. The only way your wages reduce is if you accept a pay cut to stay in a particular team. But your quality, stats, years of service etc already puts you in a preset pay scale regardless of team the team you play for. For that team to accommodate you they have to shed other salaries to keep the team under cap. Now those players who dont fit in your cap space based on their own projected pay scale will fit into another team with available cap space that can accommodate your salary and needs your services. So eBay it does is out ensures a wider spread of talent.

and how does it work withot redistribution of money? Will Levante be able to afford Benzema, because Real Madrid has to get rid of him? They still could not afford him unless he takes a paycut.

If a salary cap reduces a team's combined wage bill, average salary for players will only stay the same if another team's combined wage bill increases. But smaller teams don't have more money to spend, will they?
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

toyin133 wrote:Pls tell me what statutes allow UEFA to make rules regarding a salary cap.

First of all the FFP is a salary cap of sorts- a 'soft' salary cap, so legally there is precedence already.

Articles 1 and 2 already deal with such issues and in any case, UEFA can always impose standards for participation in its competitions.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

theYemster wrote: You need to go understand how it works. It has a lot to do.

Salary cap DOESN'T reduce individual player's wages, it reduces the team's total combined wage bill. It allows structuring. The only way your wages reduce is if you accept a pay cut to stay in a particular team. But your quality, stats, years of service etc already puts you in a preset pay scale regardless of team the team you play for. For that team to accommodate you they have to shed other salaries to keep the team under cap. Now those players who dont fit in your cap space based on their own projected pay scale will fit into another team with available cap space that can accommodate your salary and needs your services. So eBay it does is out ensures a wider spread of talent.
If the league sets out how much all the clubs can pay in wages then the league has created an artificial market. This means that the players are competing against each other for a team's scarce resources rather than the more natural state of affairs where the employers compete against each other to acquire the best talent.
Danny Blanchflower
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

toyin133 wrote: You don't understand my point. The NBA/NFL are franchises operating in a restricted marketplace. They cannot be relegated and they do not produce their own players. How can you seriously compare that marketplace with football in Europe?
Toyin133,

A salary cap can be instituted in Europe. Note that there are certain restrictions in Europe already. For instance, there are transfer rules in place that restrict player recruitment in Europe. There are sanctions that guide this when violations occur, as you are aware. Also, there are rules in the EPL for teams to compete at the premier league level. The point here is that clubs are not just free to do whatever they want. Thus, it is quite possible to introduce additional rules. While such rules may not be exactly like those in the USA, they can be introduced in adapted forms.

The point though is that such rules are becoming necessary and inevitable. The danger of no rules is that clubs may doom themselves in the current escalation of wages. Further, as TheYemster mentioned, it is no fun watching LaLiga, for instance, when it is clear that just two clubs have realistic chance of winning the championship every year. Imagine a Laliga where 8-9 clubs have opportunity each year to win? Would that not be far more exciting?
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
txj wrote:Clearly you have no idea how the salary cap system works, understandable cus its a largely American thing.

You don't understand my point. The NBA/NFL are franchises operating in a restricted marketplace. They cannot be relegated and they do not produce their own players. How can you seriously compare that marketplace with football in Europe?

The structures of the sports are different. But that's not the issue here. Its about competitiveness which is a common denominator, irrespective of the differing nature of the sports market...