EKONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
EKONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Post by Enugu II »

Deemed too soft for Nigeria, Troost-Ekong hopes Oliseh is watching
Fisayo Dairo October 9, 2017
https://www.aclsports.com/5674-2/

When Nigeria wrapped up qualification for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia on Saturday in Uyo, centre back William Troost-Ekong achieved a statistical compliment of being the only member of the team that completed ninety minutes in each of the five group games played so far.

That, is a great achievement for a player who twenty months earlier was deemed “too soft” to represent the three-time African Champions.

The Bursaspor of Turkey defender spent some time alone with our Chief Football Writer, FISAYO DAIRO after the excitement of Saturday’s nervy victory over Zambia during which he made some interesting revelations about his international career.

Switching allegiance to Nigeria

Born to a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother some 24 years ago, William played for The Netherlands up to the Under-20s before a phone call from former Nigerian coach Stephen Keshi (late) helped him to switch allegiance to the West African nation. “Ha! Not easy o,” Ekong interjected when asked how difficult or not it was to switch to Nigeria.

He wanted it though and that was what mattered. “I wanted to play for Nigeria and as soon as Stephen Keshi called me in 2015 and asked if I was interested, yeah, it was a dream come true to play for Nigeria against Chad that time.”

Two years after his debut

Nigeria’s Nations Cup qualifying victory over Chad in Kaduna, Troost-Ekong’s maiden appearance for his fatherland came in June 2015. The defender who has since featured for the country at the Olympics and with a World Cup qualification spot in the bag feels vindicated in his decision to play for Nigeria. He also hopes to add a Nations Cup appearance to that very soon.

“Qualification for the World Cup two years after only proves that it was the right choice,” he proudly asserted.

“We’re going to be at the World Cup and hopefully this will be the beginning and we still have more to come, also to go to the AFCON and do well there. I played at the Olympics last summer so yeah it’s coming on nicely now.”

On Rio Olympics and Sunday Oliseh

Troost-Ekong has grown to be an important part of the Super Eagles since that debut two years ago. However, it has not always been rosy for the Tottenham Hotspur trainee in the national team who at a point was frozen out by the then national team handler, Sunday Ogorchukwu Oliseh.

“The Olympics was like a restart for my international career. I was part of the Super Eagles until Sunday Oliseh took me out because he said Oyibo boys are too soft. I hope he’s watching his TV now and see us going to the World Cup.”

“No ill feelings, I saw him at the Olympics last year and we spoke briefly. He didn’t believe in me then but I think Nigerians can see now what I can do.”

Partnership and friendship with Leon Balogun

After Nigeria’s sensational win over Algeria in November 2016, fans of the team coined a nom de plume to celebrate the new found defensive partnership between Ekong and Germany born Leon Balogun.

Both players have since grown in their friendship which has seen them always paired in same hotel room sometimes during national team duties. But the friendship now goes beyond the national camp.

The Super Eagles’ “Oyibo Wall” of Troost-Ekong and Balogun
“Leon is like a brother to me,” Troost said with a wink at Leon. The nice thing is that we have similar backgrounds. He’s half German and I’m half Dutch and we both chose to play for Nigeria. I think that’s the link we have and we have a good understanding. I speak to him a lot away from national camp also, so when we play together it’s very nice because we understand each other very well.”

Hopes on World Cup

Having played a pivotal role in Nigeria’s qualification for their sixth World Cup appearance, Troost-Ekong is now focusing on representing Nigeria in Russia and more so, to make an appreciable impact.

Nigeria is blessed with an big pool of talent available as more players switch allegiance from Europe countries. Troost-Ekong also believes it’s important the squad keeps fit and are kept for the global assignment.

“I’ll be hoping that I’ll be in good form and I hope that Coach Gernot Rohr will call me up for the World Cup squad and I hope other guys that are here now are in good form and fit.

“That, I think is very important and yes when you’re looking forward to a tournament like that you also want to make a mark as well so we’ll be hoping to do very well there,” he summed.

Troost-Ekong and his Nigerian teammates have one more game still to play in the qualifying series against Algeria in November but are assured of qualification.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Post by Gotti »

Nigerians! When we should be happy, we instead look for unnecessary fights...
Maybe Oliseh’s position led Ekong to “toughen” up. Either way, both seem happy where each currently is!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EKONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Post by metalalloy »

What a ridiculous statement to make if true.. smh...
“The Olympics was like a restart for my international career. I was part of the Super Eagles until Sunday Oliseh took me out because he said Oyibo boys are too soft. I hope he’s watching his TV now and see us going to the World Cup.”
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TBH, the only report that I read about this thinking was not by Oliseh but by Siasia. This is not to state that Oliseh never said those words to Ekong but simply to point to a similar report in the media. IMO, I am not sold on Ekong just yet. His passing out of defense remains subpar.

In any case, here is the story. Bear in mind this did not come directly from Siasia.
Why Siasia left out Leon Balogun, Ideye, Success - Official
https://mtnfootball.com/news/616487/Why ... s-Official

Eagles caretaker coach Samson Siasia 42-man squad list for a double-header against Egypt reflected the current form of Nigeria players, but the likes of Leon Balogun, Brown Ideye and Isaac Success were some worthy omissions with reasons too.

A top member of the NFF technical committee, who pleaded anonymity, spoke specially on these players who should have been there, but are not there.

Here are the reasons Siasia proffered for omitting these players when he defended his list before the committee.

LEON BALOGUN (DEFENDER/MAINZ, GERMANY)

Form guide: Leon is arguably, Nigeria’s most in-form defender in Europe. He has been largely used at right back in the national team, but has been deployed at the heart of Mainz defence in the Bundesliga this season.

He has made 18 appearances for Mainz in all competitions, the last being the 2-1 defeat of Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

His partnership with Stefan Bell in Mainz central defense has been largely the reason the team is in the hunt for a Champions League play-off spot.

Why he is not on the list: Our source said: “We raised this with Siasia but his reason is cogent - You don’t invite players for the fun of it. We agree that he is having a good season but this is Africa and not Europe. You can see how hot the weather is in Abuja. So imagine how it will be in Kaduna when we play Egypt.

“Leon could struggle in those situations. You remember, we had similar problems with Reuben Agboola back in the days.

“This is a crucial match where circumstances beyond the game proper could be decisive, so we need players who will be comfortable within our environment.

“Leon is still part of the team and will be invited for future games, but we had to leave him out for this one.”

ISAAC SUCCESS (STRIKER/GRANADA, SPAIN)

Form guide: Success has been an ever-present in the Granada starting 11 this season. He has played 28 times in all competitions for Granada this season scoring five goals with three assists.

He was on target in Granada’s 2-0 defeat of Sporting Gijon in Spanish La Liga this week.

Naturally a striker, he has been deployed more from the left flank this season.

Why he is not on the list: Our source further explained: “Success was equally mentioned, but the main snag is his goal conversion rate.

“His work rate is commendable but for a striker, he needs to score more goals. Against Egypt, we will need more potent strikers in front of goal. We will need strikers who will take the opportunities when they come.

“He is quite a young chap who will be very useful to the national team in future but such a crucial game might not actually be the right time to blood him. Remember he is yet to make his full international debut.

“In future, it will be interesting to see how he links up with the likes of Ighalo in the attack”.

BROWN IDEYE (STRIKER/OLYMPIACOS, GREECE)

Form guide: Brown played 28 matches in all competitions for Greek champions Olympiacos this season (20 in Greek Super League, 6 in UEFA Champions League and 2 in Europa League).

The last of these performances was against Anderlecht in the Europa league on February 25. On the whole, Olympiacos’s number 99 scored eight goals with one assist.

The move to Olympiacos saw a rejuvenation of his career after the lull at West Bromwich Albion.

Why he is not on the list: Our source; “The idea of having Ideye serve as a foil for Ighalo is appetising. We all know what Troy Deneey does for Ighalo at Watford. He will need such a player in the national team.

“But while you have to note that Brown also has a low goal conversion rate, his usefulness in a 4-4-2 situation cannot be ignored.

“But we have players like Victor Moses returning to the national team.

“Brown should return soon but not for this game. We cannot invite all the players at the same time”.

DELE AJIBOYE (GOALKEEPER/WARRI WOLVES)

Form guide: Dele’s form at Warri Wolves has caught the attention of NPFL observers. Not a few believe he is the most in-form keeper in the domestic scene.

He has started and finished all Wolves four games this season and kept three clean sheets. He was the stand-out keeper at the Super 4 and has kept a below-par Wolves side afloat this season.

Why he is not on the list: Our source; “We invited two foreign-based keepers, Carl Ikeme and Dan Akpeyi. The three home-based keepers who should open the camp are national team ‘keepers at different levels.

“Ajiboye’s form has been noted but you know that the goalkeeping career is a bit more exclusive than the out-field players, the choices are limited.

“I have no doubt that Dele will get his chance after the Egypt games. We have also noted his good form.”

By Clement Nwankpa Jnr
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Gotti wrote:Nigerians! When we should be happy, we instead look for unnecessary fights...
Maybe Oliseh’s position led Ekong to “toughen” up. Either way, both seem happy where each currently is!
:clap: :clap:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:TBH, the only report that I read about this thinking was not by Oliseh but by Siasia. This is not to state that Oliseh never said those words to Ekong but simply to point to a similar report in the media. IMO, I am not sold on Ekong just yet. His passing out of defense remains subpar.

In any case, here is the story. Bear in mind this did not come directly from Siasia.

Eagles caretaker coach Samson Siasia 42-man squad list for a double-header against Egypt reflected the current form of Nigeria players, but the likes of Leon Balogun, Brown Ideye and Isaac Success were some worthy omissions with reasons too.

A top member of the NFF technical committee, who pleaded anonymity, spoke specially on these players who should have been there, but are not there.

Here are the reasons Siasia proffered for omitting these players when he defended his list before the committee.

Form guide: Leon is arguably, Nigeria’s most in-form defender in Europe. He has been largely used at right back in the national team, but has been deployed at the heart of Mainz defence in the Bundesliga this season.

He has made 18 appearances for Mainz in all competitions, the last being the 2-1 defeat of Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

His partnership with Stefan Bell in Mainz central defense has been largely the reason the team is in the hunt for a Champions League play-off spot.

Why he is not on the list: Our source said: “We raised this with Siasia but his reason is cogent - You don’t invite players for the fun of it. We agree that he is having a good season but this is Africa and not Europe. You can see how hot the weather is in Abuja. So imagine how it will be in Kaduna when we play Egypt.

“Leon could struggle in those situations. You remember, we had similar problems with Reuben Agboola back in the days.

“This is a crucial match where circumstances beyond the game proper could be decisive, so we need players who will be comfortable within our environment.

“Leon is still part of the team and will be invited for future games, but we had to leave him out for this one.”

Form guide: Success has been an ever-present in the Granada starting 11 this season. He has played 28 times in all competitions for Granada this season scoring five goals with three assists.

He was on target in Granada’s 2-0 defeat of Sporting Gijon in Spanish La Liga this week.

Why he is not on the list: Our source further explained: “Success was equally mentioned, but the main snag is his goal conversion rate.

“His work rate is commendable but for a striker, he needs to score more goals. Against Egypt, we will need more potent strikers in front of goal. We will need strikers who will take the opportunities when they come.

“He is quite a young chap who will be very useful to the national team in future but such a crucial game might not actually be the right time to blood him. Remember he is yet to make his full international debut.

“In future, it will be interesting to see how he links up with the likes of Ighalo in the attack”.

Form guide: Brown played 28 matches in all competitions for Greek champions Olympiacos this season (20 in Greek Super League, 6 in UEFA Champions League and 2 in Europa League).

The last of these performances was against Anderlecht in the Europa league on February 25. On the whole, Olympiacos’s number 99 scored eight goals with one assist.

The move to Olympiacos saw a rejuvenation of his career after the lull at West Bromwich Albion.

Why he is not on the list: Our source; “The idea of having Ideye serve as a foil for Ighalo is appetising. We all know what Troy Deneey does for Ighalo at Watford. He will need such a player in the national team.

“But while you have to note that Brown also has a low goal conversion rate, his usefulness in a 4-4-2 situation cannot be ignored.

“Brown should return soon but not for this game. We cannot invite all the players at the same time”.

Form guide: Dele’s form at Warri Wolves has caught the attention of NPFL observers. Not a few believe he is the most in-form keeper in the domestic scene.

He has started and finished all Wolves four games this season and kept three clean sheets. He was the stand-out keeper at the Super 4 and has kept a below-par Wolves side afloat this season.

Why he is not on the list: Our source; “We invited two foreign-based keepers, Carl Ikeme and Dan Akpeyi. The three home-based keepers who should open the camp are national team ‘keepers at different levels.

“Ajiboye’s form has been noted but you know that the goalkeeping career is a bit more exclusive than the out-field players, the choices are limited.

“I have no doubt that Dele will get his chance after the Egypt games. We have also noted his good form.”

By Clement Nwankpa Jnr
We take this 'passing out of defense' thing too far sometimes to be honest. Yes he is not the most technical footballer neither is he the best passer of the ball but he is very good at his job which is to defend. I also think if you play with 2 center backs, they should compliment each other and not be too similar. Like the '5 & 6' of old. Balogun is better on the ball and brings the ball out from the back well while Ekong is good in the air, tackles hard and is hardly beaten 1 v 1.
yes o
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

papilo wrote:
We take this 'passing out of defense' thing too far sometimes to be honest. Yes he is not the most technical footballer neither is he the best passer of the ball but he is very good at his job which is to defend. I also think if you play with 2 center backs, they should compliment each other and not be too similar. Like the '5 & 6' of old. Balogun is better on the ball and brings the ball out from the back well while Ekong is good in the air, tackles hard and is hardly beaten 1 v 1.
Actually, passing out of the defense is VERY VERY important. Defenders should have far more passing accuracy than midfielders because they not only have less pressure but they also have far more space. As your position advances, the less the passing percentage you would encounter. For instance, the goalkeeper should have 100% passing accuracy. Ekong definitely has a problem with the passing and one of those in the Zambian game nearly cost Nigeria a goal and it was largely unforced.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

While Troost, Leon, Victor Moses, Ola Aina et al have made the right decision Jordon Ibe is still trying to cross River Jordan somewhere.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:
papilo wrote:
Actually, passing out of the defense is VERY VERY important. Defenders should have far more passing accuracy than midfielders because they not only have less pressure but they also have far more space. As your position advances, the less the passing percentage you would encounter. For instance, the goalkeeper should have 100% passing accuracy. Ekong definitely has a problem with the passing and one of those in the Zambian game nearly cost Nigeria a goal and it was largely unforced.
It is good to have a defender who can pass out from the back but that should not be the criteria for determining how good a center back is. A center back should be able to defend first. It also depends on how you want your team to play. There was very little passing going on in the Zambia game on Saturday because the pitch was not in very good shape. Different conditions (pitch, opposition) e.t.c determine how a team play.
yes o
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Oliseh and siasia are both clowns, simple and plain
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Depends on what the coaches want to implement...no biggie here,but Oliseh house no dey head. It can be said that Troost was challenged by what Oliseh said to him. But saying oyinbos are not strong..dat one na crase talk..as Fela put am..na animal talk be that!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

oloye wrote:Depends on what the coaches want to implement...no biggie here,but Oliseh house no dey head. It can be said that Troost was challenged by what Oliseh said to him. But saying oyinbos are not strong..dat one na crase talk..as Fela put am..na animal talk be that!
Oloye, even Balogun has apprehensions about playing SE... according to my sauce... He said something along the lines of "you know sey, I be oyinbo" so I don't know, if they would accept me. The sauce encouraged him to become part of the "boys" and I believe Keshi helped in assimilate into the team.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Gotti wrote:Nigerians! When we should be happy, we instead look for unnecessary fights...
...I politely disagree.. Oliseh has been known to be a d**k both as player and coach..na so so fight he dey fight people anywhere he go....for some other player he for don kill him intl career..see how many players left the SE since Oliseh enter..
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Enugu II wrote:TBH, the only report that I read about this thinking was not by Oliseh but by Siasia. This is not to state that Oliseh never said those words to Ekong but simply to point to a similar report in the media. IMO, I am not sold on Ekong just yet. His passing out of defense remains subpar.

By Clement Nwankpa Jnr
For one Mazi Enugu II, I think the logic behind Siasia was based on a one-off crucial situation....he eventually took the Oyibos to Brazil which has proven valuable for Naija... ...
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

9jaMan wrote:Oliseh and siasia are both clowns, simple and plain
dude..the clown took him to Brasil where he won us a medal...
Pa
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Ironic that Ekong is going to the World Cup with Nigeria whilst the Netherlands are not going to qualify :lol:
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do you think they want Enyeama back? Nigerians are cursed! Peace, tranquility and happiness makes us uncomfortable.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

paj wrote:
...I politely disagree.. Oliseh has been known to be a d**k both as player and coach..na so so fight he dey fight people anywhere he go....for some other player he for don kill him intl career..see how many players left the SE since Oliseh enter..
Pa
LOL? Pa Jeun ko ku! Keep disagreeing there.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

True Oliseh's opinion could've been a motivating factor. However he should've been more PC. Why not just say he "Ekong" is too soft instead of generalizing? After all the last three world cups 2006, 2010 and 2014 were won by "oyinbos"; aside from Brazil, they've won the world cup more often than not so they're definitely not soft. The dude who beat him (Oliseh) to score the equalizer during the Italy game in 94 was oyinbo.

It was a silly comment that one could say had a racist undertone.
Last edited by theYemster on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Understand what you are saying but sometimes things need to be said!
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

danfo driver wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do you think they want Enyeama back? Nigerians are cursed! Peace, tranquility and happiness makes us uncomfortable.
This is just wrong on all levels. Harsh on Enyeama and wrong on every other level.
yes o
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
papilo wrote:
That was not entirely his fault. Ndidi was open and started checked towards the ball, and then changed his mind and stopped for a second and then ran back when he saw the Zambian rush to intercept it. Look at min 1.30

[/video]
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thanks Chief Gotti, very well said. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.