Antoine Griezmann is Racially Insensitive

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Antoine Griezmann is Racially Insensitive

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:Not personally offended by this. There are other more pernicious forms of racism which are of greater concern.
Agreed on other pernicious forms of racism. But this is an overt display of racism, it is 2017, and I cannot believe people still do not understand why the blackface is racist.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

paj wrote:
charlie wrote:Imitation is the greatest form of flatery.
People need to get over their inferiority complex and stop being so sensitive.
word....
Pa

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/ ... -offensive

Don't get what's wrong with blackface? Here's why it's so offensive.

By Jenée [email protected] Oct 29, 2014, 1:30pm EDT

A scene from the blackface minstrel show, "Yes, Sir Mr. Bones," 1951

The history of blackface

Blackface is much more than just dark makeup used to enhance a costume.

Its American origins can be traced to minstrel shows. In the mid to late nineteenth century, white actors would routinely use black grease paint on their faces when depicting plantation slaves and free blacks on stage.

To be clear, these weren't flattering representations. At all. Taking place against the backdrop of a society that systematically mistreated and dehumanized black people, they were mocking portrayals that reinforced the idea that African-Americans were inferior in every way.

The blackface caricatures that were staples of Minstrelsy (think: Mammy, Uncle Tom, Buck, and Jezebel) took a firm hold in the American imagination, and carried over into other mediums of entertainment.

Blackface has also been seen in Vaudeville Shows and on Broadway. Yes, black actors sometimes wore blackface, too, because white audiences didn't want to see them on the stage without it.

We have blackface performances to thank for some of the cartoonish, dehumanizing tropes that still manage to make their way into American culture.

Beyond that, blackface and systematic social and political repression are so inextricably linked that, according to C. Vann Woodward's history The Strange Career of Jim Crow, the very term "Jim Crow" — usually used as shorthand for rigid anti-black segregation laws in force between the end of Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Movement — derives from an 1832 blackface minstrel number by Thomas D. Rice.

There's no way around it: this particular costume choice has a terrible track record.

Contemporary blackface

No, minstrel shows don't really happen anymore, but keep in mind that it hasn't been all that long since blackface in its original form existed. And it was regularly seen on television as recently as 1978 in The Black and White Minstrel Show.

If respect for people who had to live through a time when blackface went hand-in-hand with day-to-day hateful and discriminatory treatment isn't enough to keep you from wearing it, consider this: there's a case to be made that it's tied up with some of America's worst racial dynamics.

David Leonard, chair of Washington State University's department of critical culture, gender, and race studies, explained it this way in his 2012 Huffington Post essay, "Just Say No To blackface: Neo Minstrelsy and the Power to Dehumanize":
Blackface is part of a history of dehumanization, of denied citizenship, and of efforts to excuse and justify state violence. From lynchings to mass incarceration, whites have utilized blackface (and the resulting dehumanization) as part of its moral and legal justification for violence. It is time to stop with the dismissive arguments those that describe these offensive acts as pranks, ignorance and youthful indiscretions. Blackface is never a neutral form of entertainment, but an incredibly loaded site for the production of damaging stereotypes...the same stereotypes that undergird individual and state violence, American racism, and a centuries worth of injustice.
See the connection?

He told Vox that, today, blackface reinforces the idea that black people are appropriate targets of ridicule and mockery and reminds us of stereotypes about black criminality, and danger. This, says Leonard, can serve to support implicit bias and discriminatory treatment and in areas from law enforcement to employment.

Plus, in a society that allegedly values racial integration, isn't there something unsettling about the idea that the closest thing to an actual black person at your party could be someone smeared with face paint and wearing an Afro wig? Leonard says this creates a false sense of diversity in at atmospheres that include "everything but the actual person, the community, and the culture." Does that sound like somewhere you'd be proud to be?

It makes no difference whether you feel racist in blackface

A common refrain in defense of blackface is that it is all in good fun, a joke, harmless, or not done with the intent to bother anyone. Some have even gone farther. Reason's Thaddeus Russell once wrote that the practice could be understood as a positive thing:

"We will likely never know what motivates contemporary blackface performers. But those who reject the beliefs planted in our culture by Puritans and Victorians might consider the possibility that, like the originators of the practice, they are joining a 200-year, unconscious struggle for freedom."

But here's the thing: not feeling racist when you're wearing blackface does nothing to change how it affects those who see it (and today, thanks to social media, that doesn't just mean your trick-or-treaters, or the guests at the party you attend — it means the world).

Your innermost thoughts don't change the impact blackface has on the people of all races around you, or the way it reinforces stereotypes and the idea that blackness is, at best, a joke.

"In many ways, one's intent is irrelevant," said Leonard. "The harm, whether it's harm in terms of eliciting anger, or sadness, or triggering various emotions or causing [black people to feel] both hyper-visible and invisible at the same time, is there. When someone says, 'I didn't mean it that way,' well, their real question should be not ‘Did I mean it?' but, ‘Am I causing harm?'"

Not getting what's wrong with blackface isn't an excuse

In "Just Say No to Blackface," Leonard wrote that some people feel they should have the option to live in ignorance about what's wrong with blackface. That itself, he argued, says a lot about how racism works:

"The ability to be ignorant, to be unaware of the history and consequences of racial bigotry, to simply do as one pleases, is a quintessential element of privilege. The ability to disparage, to demonize, to ridicule, and to engage in racially hurtful practices from the comfort of one's segregated neighborhoods and racially homogeneous schools reflects both privilege and power. The ability to blame others for being oversensitive, for playing the race card, or for making much ado about nothing are privileges codified structurally and culturally."

So, maybe you don't know anything about the history of minstrelsy, and maybe you don't know anything about the pain and trauma of living in a society that imagines blackness as comical or criminal.

That, according to Leonard, is the problem.

The question, to ask yourself if you claim ignorance is, he said, "Why do you not know, and what have you done to make sure that you continue to not know?"

After all, embracing the chance to mock, dehumanize, and to dismiss the feelings and demands of others, all while re-imagining history so that only things you deem wrong are wrong, is a pretty great way to perpetuate a racist society that treats black people like crap.

Finally, if you really cannot understand what's wrong with with blackface, challenge yourself to figure out what seems so right about it. Leonard suggests that blackface fans ask themselves, "Why do I derive pleasure from this? What's the investment in doing it, and what's the investment in defending it?"

If you can't answer that, but you're still set on doing something predictable and kind of embarrassing, there are plenty of ridiculous topical costumes to choose from this year: may we suggest a sexy undecided voter Ken Bone?

For those who are really want to be educated on this issue, it is all over the net.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

More...... I can go on and on. But I stop here and let you do your own research and reading.

http://black-face.com/

Jim Crow
The term Jim Crow originated in 1830 when a White minstrel show performer, Thomas "Daddy" Rice, blackened his face with burnt cork and danced a jig while singing the lyrics to the song,
"Jump Jim Crow."

Zip Coon
First performed by George Dixon in 1834, Zip Coon made a mockery of free blacks. An arrogant, ostentatious figure, he dressed in high style and spoke in a series of malaprops and puns that undermined his attempts to appear dignified.

Jim Crow and Zip Coon eventually merged into a single stereotype called simply "coon."

Mammy
Mammy is a source of earthy wisdom who is fiercely independent and brooks no backtalk. Although her image changed a little over the years, she was always a favorite of advertisers.

Uncle Tom
Toms are typically good, gentle, religious and sober. Images of Uncle Toms were another favorite of advertisers and "Uncle Ben" is still being used to sell rice.

Buck
The Buck is a large Black man who is proud, sometimes menacing, and always interested in White women.

Wench/Jezebel
The temptress. During the minstrel era, wenches were typically a male in female garb. In film, wenches were usually female mulattos.

Pickaninny
Picaninnies have bulging eyes, unkempt hair, red lips and wide mouths into which they stuff huge slices of watermelon.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Coach wrote:^He probably thought it was cool, a detached, socially unconscious id*ot like most footballers. Fortunately for Griezman, he chose the right race to play out his idiocy before. Imagine had he dressed up as a Rabbi.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats one thing I love about the jews. You mess with them and they will take you out! You will never hear any jew speak like many blacks have spoken on this thread. Blacks are the only people who will defend racism against their own kind. Others will not tolerate it.

Let me give you an example that a comedian gave some years back. i wish I could find the video and you will laugh in disbelief.

More people died as a consequence of slavery, than those who died as a consequence of the holocaust. However, you mention the word "holocaust," even in your bathroom, and a jewish person will appear and mess you up! But you mention racism against blacks in a room full of blacks, and you have multiple uncle Toms and house negroes raising their buttocks as they twerk and scream in support of the master! **massa massa massa! i shall lay my life on the floor for thee! dear massa!**"

Blacks... very disappointing.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

It's so obvious many of you still live in a bubble. ..the black face is pure racism..he better pray the American media do not pick this up
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Racially insensitive? Yes

He did apologize shortly after which is commendable

http://www.espn.com/soccer/atletico-mad ... cial-media

That says I hope he learns from this experience
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

danfo driver wrote:
Coach wrote:^He probably thought it was cool, a detached, socially unconscious id*ot like most footballers. Fortunately for Griezman, he chose the right race to play out his idiocy before. Imagine had he dressed up as a Rabbi.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats one thing I love about the jews. You mess with them and they will take you out! You will never hear any jew speak like many blacks have spoken on this thread. Blacks are the only people who will defend racism against their own kind. Others will not tolerate it.

Let me give you an example that a comedian gave some years back. i wish I could find the video and you will laugh in disbelief.

More people died as a consequence of slavery, than those who died as a consequence of the holocaust. However, you mention the word "holocaust," even in your bathroom, and a jewish person will appear and mess you up! But you mention racism against blacks in a room full of blacks, and you have multiple uncle Toms and house negroes raising their buttocks as they twerk and scream in support of the master! **massa massa massa! i shall lay my life on the floor for thee! dear massa!**"

Amen.

I think it was coach who said the negro is his own worst enemy.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

King Futcha wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Amen.

I think it was coach who said the negro is his own worst enemy.
One of the greatest shock that some here have no clue. If people are not clued onto something like this, how would they recognize systemic or institutional racism?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

He has no real friends,if you are black and say you see nothing wrong with this,then you might not love the color of your skin. This is disgusting knowing this will cause so much attention...5 thumbs down
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I'm fully ware of the history of black face minstrelsy and understand why people are upset / angry / outraged (tick whichever applies) but for me personally I'm not getting triggered over a silly footballer doing something silly.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

This act is racist when taken in isolation. But I don't think the case here is that of racism rather that of gross idiocy bundled with cluelessness. His initial reactions points to not really knowing the magnitude of this.

Does that make it ok? Nah. Am I overly twisted about it? Nah! I hope he learns from this.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Cito wrote:This act is racist when taken in isolation. But I don't think the case here is that of racism rather that of gross idiocy bundled with cluelessness. His initial reactions points to not really knowing the magnitude of this.

Does that make it ok? Nah. Am I overly twisted about it? Nah! I hope he learns from this.

Bingo. I don't think Griezmann is racist but he is very stupid and racially insensitive. I have had friends who have done stupid crap like that and I pulled them aside and explained to them the issues with such things.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

And he still got Matuidi‘s sisters number!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

TheHitman47 wrote:
Cito wrote:This act is racist when taken in isolation. But I don't think the case here is that of racism rather that of gross idiocy bundled with cluelessness. His initial reactions points to not really knowing the magnitude of this.

Bingo. I don't think Griezmann is racist but he is very stupid and racially insensitive. I have had friends who have done stupid crap like that and I pulled them aside and explained to them the issues with such things.
hmmm.. you know Griezmann personally? You have met him multiples times? Or you just cant believe the "massa will do you like that?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, no one has called Griezmann racist. In fact, i specifically said "racially insensitive" on the topic for a reason. I cant judge Griezmann as a person, as I have never met him. So, I judged his sensitivity based on his action. Lets stick to his action, and keep his "person" out of it. None of us know him personally, unless you'd like to correct me on that? :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Africans are a hopeless bunch. Defending this imbecile because he may play for your favorite club team next season. Fuuk Greezman overrated piece of garbage. They will give him a pass cos he is white but where were his enablers when Anelka's football carrier was destroyed because of his quenelle celebrations. He dare not do anything to offend Jews but he can wear black face all day and Africans will bend over back wards to defend him. Like i said earlier we owe his overrated team a beatdown in Russia next summer. Lets just take care of our group 1st.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Now you know why no one plays with any other race except for the black race because we don’t respect ourselves,if he dressed like a mock Jew,Chinaman or Arab they’ll bring him down but blacks just consume and worship the gods of their conquers,I had to go in like this.*(&^$ Gresyman,we didn’t even complain for the elbow Giroud dashed Mikel in Brazil!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Greizman might be a Frenchman, but more or less has been in Spain since his teens, so that would explain a lot. I am sure if he was playing in France or England he would not have done this.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote:
One of the greatest shock that some here have no clue. If people are not clued onto something like this, how would they recognize systemic or institutional racism?
...and one of the greatest shock is the Griezmann guy who probably thought it is a fashion thing. Just like many in Nigeria will use derogatory words freely.
I have noticed in the English football players use the f-word openly, here in America it will attract a huge fine and/or ban.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

YUJAM wrote:Racially insensitive? Yes

His initial response was 'whatever' when he was harangued about the picture. His PR team must have acted fast as they deleted the comment and then later sent out the usual PR apology.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

platinum wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Racially insensitive? Yes

His initial response was 'whatever' when he was harangued about the picture. His PR team must have acted fast as they deleted the comment and then later sent out the usual PR apology.
I am surprised he didnt demand an apology from the supportive negroes. :D
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

airwolex wrote:Greizman might be a Frenchman, but more or less has been in Spain since his teens, so that would explain a lot. I am sure if he was playing in France or England he would not have done this.
You think the French care about what black People think?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
airwolex wrote:Greizman might be a Frenchman, but more or less has been in Spain since his teens, so that would explain a lot. I am sure if he was playing in France or England he would not have done this.
You think the French care about what black People think?
I think they are a lot more clued on than the Spanish, who seem to delight in making fun of other races

kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

There is nothing derogatory in griezemanns costume. He looks like a member of the harlem globetrotters. For those reading too much into it take a chill pill. There is trump and his boys to worry about not a french player clowning around.