Possibility for SE to take part in Copa America this summer

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Possibility for SE to take part in Copa America this summer

Post by vancity eagle »

The 2021 Copa America starts June 11 this summer with a new 12 team format. They had 2 guest teams in Qatar and Australia, who have withdrawn because of rescheduled WCQ to take place in summer.

European teams will be busy with Euro 2021 and concacaf teams with the Gold Cup.

African WCQ are to be scheduled between May 31 and June 15.

We could play our 2 matches early and compete in the Copa as a guest team, would be great experience to test our depth and build a strong team for Qatar.

Whoever is in the know should forward this info to Pinnick.

Unless of course Conembol decides to go back to an earlier format without the guest teams.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Possibility for SE to take part in Copa America this sum

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:The 2021 Copa America starts June 11 this summer with a new 12 team format. They had 2 guest teams in Qatar and Australia, who have withdrawn because of rescheduled WCQ to take place in summer.

European teams will be busy with Euro 2021 and concacaf teams with the Gold Cup.

We could play our 2 matches early and compete in the Copa as a guest team, would be great experience to test our depth and build a strong team for Qatar.

Unless of course Conembol decides to go back to an earlier format without the guest teams.
That would be absolutely fantastic.
Are the two teams invited from a list of applicants or do they (CONMEBOL) just offer an invitation to whomsoever they choose?

It makes sense if they offer invites to relatively weak teams though. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damunk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:The 2021 Copa America starts June 11 this summer with a new 12 team format. They had 2 guest teams in Qatar and Australia, who have withdrawn because of rescheduled WCQ to take place in summer.

That would be absolutely fantastic.
Are the two teams invited from a list of applicants or do they (CONMEBOL) just offer an invitation to whomsoever they choose?

It makes sense if they offer invites to relatively weak teams though. :rotf:
They invited Australia and Qatar as the past 2 Asian champions. In 2019 they invited Qatar and Japan.

If they want to invite anybody it would have to be from CAF, or a European side that did not qualify for Euros.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Lovely idea.
Although, I think by right if there are 2 places they should go to Algeria and Senegal, the winners and runners up of the last ANC. Plus they have higher profile super-stars than us in Mahrez and Mane.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

So how does this invitation format work in competition?
What if....? :lol:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I've been asking as far back as 1999 when Japan were invited to take part as the first team outside the Americas whether Nigeria would ever be invited to participate.

It's not every tournament where they invite a country outside the Americas to participate; and they've never invited a team with a good chance of winning the thing.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:So how does this invitation format work in competition?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is too risky, is like chasing a woman and taking another single man with you.
Yeah, they should stick w/ countries like Australia and Qatar; perhaps South Africa and Ghana :sneaky:
Last edited by ANC on Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ANC wrote:
Damunk wrote:So how does this invitation format work in competition?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is too risk, is like chasing a woman and taking another single man with you.
Yeah they stick w/ countries like Australia and Qatar; perhaps South Africa and Ghana :sneaky:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Man it would be nice to get an invite. Pinnick needs to lobby hard for it. I know the North Africans would too.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Nigerians and delusions of grandeur. Who's going to pay for it? :laugh: Abi you expect Brazil to pay for it? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Put yourself in the position of Conmebol. Would you like to invite a guest team to your flagship tournament and then they embarrass you by winning it?

Also bear in mind that this presents legal complications as the winner automatically qualifies for the Confederations Cup. How can you have Nigeria representing South America in the Confederations Cup.

It is no surprise that no African teams have been invited so far. Even if Conmebol decide to invite an African team, the candidates will include Kenya, Ghana, Togo, Benin Republic, Zambia, etc.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Put yourself in the position of Conmebol. Would you like to invite a guest team to your flagship tournament and then they embarrass you by winning it?

Also bear in mind that this presents legal complications as the winner automatically qualifies for the Confederations Cup. How can you have Nigeria representing South America in the Confederations Cup.

It is no surprise that no African teams have been invited so far. Even if Conmebol decide to invite an African team, the candidates will include Kenya, Ghana, Togo, Benin Republic, Zambia, etc.
So you SE can win it? I thought the coach was useless. No? Wouldnt it make sense to invite SE knowing the coach has no chance?.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Put yourself in the position of Conmebol. Would you like to invite a guest team to your flagship tournament and then they embarrass you by winning it?

So you SE can win it? I thought the coach was useless. No? Wouldnt it make sense to invite SE knowing the coach has no chance?.
Abi o?????? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

There is no confederation cup anymore.

And you really think they are scared of an African team winning ?

They've invited Japan, USA, and Mexico in the past. These teams have all pretty much accomplished just as much, if not more than African teams on the international stage.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The only downside I see from this is if we do poorly and go down in FIFA rankings and lose our top 5 seed for the WCQ playoffs.

I dont know of these matches will be given the full tournament weight for a guest team. It may even count as friendly matches for the rankings.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

If i was Nigeria, I would apply to attend but I'll use the CHAN team. Get the local boys some experience.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

copa will never invite african teams
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

There is zero benefit in participating in the tournament even if we win it.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:

There is no confederation cup anymore.

And you really think they are scared of an African team winning ?

They've invited Japan, USA, and Mexico in the past. These teams have all pretty much accomplished just as much, if not more than African teams on the international stage.
You are minding Ayo...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1naija wrote:There is zero benefit in participating in the tournament even if we win it.
Winning it is most unlikely but that is not even the point.
However for African teams that rarely get to play South American opposition, playing against them is a major advantage for all sorts of reasons.
Off the top of my head:
1. Top quality opposition - 6 of the top 25 FIFA ranked countries are CONMEBOL. Africa's top nation is Senegal at 20th. Any top athlete wants to compete with the best in the world if only to rate self or be rated by others.
2. Familiarity - with which come 'learning', confidence and demystification
3. Official FIFA ratings - self explanatory
4. Exposure & Networking opportunities - players, football admin officials, club contacts, govt contacts
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...will never happen, SE that is.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo,

Na real waa for you? So you really think Nigeria's SE, as presently constituted, can beat the top South American teams in a competitive game? Dream on. Nigeria did not look remotely close to beating either Algeria or Senegal in Africa, bros. Think again.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:

Ayo,

Na real waa for you? So you really think Nigeria's SE, as presently constituted, can beat the top South American teams in a competitive game? Dream on. Nigeria did not look remotely close to beating either Algeria or Senegal in Africa, bros. Think again.
Algeria on current form will whip most of those south American teams.

Remember they beat Colombia 3-0 and they were outplaying Mexico with 10 men for half of the game

Algeria is a very good team.

Absolutely no shame to lose to them in the last second of the match.

I think Nigeria would do ok in a tournament like this with a full complement of players.