Oliseh's Book and his "attack" of JJ Okocha

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Oliseh's Book and his "attack" of JJ Okocha

Post by Toxicarrow »

My copy of Sunday Oliseh's book - "Audacity to Refuse" arrived at my doorstep four hours ago. In my curiosity for the "inside scoop" on what happened in Mali 2002, I went straight to the three chapters ( 16, 17 & 18) about the pre-Mali 2002 qualifying matches, Mali 2002, and 2002 WC. Oliseh tactically lambasted Jay Jay Okocha even without naming him. He called him "selfish" and "egoist" who destabilized the team for his own selfish goals. In sum, he partly blamed Okocha for the ugly episodes in Mali. Of course, Nigerian media, NFA and Sport Minister were not spared by Oliseh

However, what was quite shocking and revealing in these three chapters about Mali 2002 was Coach Amodu's poor medical condition. He wrote:
"The coaches were also unpaid and Coach Shuaibu called me up to this room for a private talk. He informed me that he had a bad feeling about the FA, and shocked me when he confided in me that he had serious health problems that no one knew about. I broke down completely and had to sit down. That explained why Coach Shuaibu was always confined to his room, only venturing out for training sessions, matches, and dinner. He implored me to keep it to myself, which I have till date" - p. 316
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oliseh's Book and his "attack" of JJ Okocha

Post by furiously frank »

Thanks Tosin. Can’t wait to read this book
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Disbanding the team was dumb and pointless.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

furiously frank wrote:Thanks Tosin. Can’t wait to read this book
The book got some serious gists...If one is not distracted by recurring subtext "I Sunday Oliseh saved the day bla bla", the book would make one to weep about the set-up of Nigerian national team. Just read the two chapters on US WC 1994 and Olympic 1996. Crazy things happened in both events in the Eagles' camp.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Say what!! Audacity to refuse ?
Of all he could have chosen for a book title ?
Tells me there’s nothing inside
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

On Westerhof and the performance at the WC, Oliseh wrote:
...he was extremely limited in his approach to success to make the team reach the top of world football outside the African continent. He had limited tactical knowledge and did not know how to read the opposition. His substitutions at ke matches and moments handicapped the team instead of improving it. This was evident at the final versus Zambia at the AFCON final, 1994 and once again versus Italy at the 1994 World Cup.

We never received any information on our opponents at the World Cup neither did we have a set tactical plan to outplay the opposition. Everything was based around our individual talents making the difference. At the World Cup level, this nothing short of suicidal." p 111
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

jette1 wrote:Say what!! Audacity to refuse ?
Do not judge a book by its cover... Read the book, with the open mind. It is a fun and easy read. I have seven chapters read so far out of 20.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Toxicarrow wrote:On Westerhof and the performance at the WC, Oliseh wrote:
...he was extremely limited in his approach to success to make the team reach the top of world football outside the African continent. He had limited tactical knowledge and did not know how to read the opposition. His substitutions at ke matches and moments handicapped the team instead of improving it. This was evident at the final versus Zambia at the AFCON final, 1994 and once again versus Italy at the 1994 World Cup.

We never received any information on our opponents at the World Cup neither did we have a set tactical plan to outplay the opposition. Everything was based around our individual talents making the difference. At the World Cup level, this nothing short of suicidal." p 111
Honestly, if we were to assign blame for the loss to Italy in the 94 World Cup, Oliseh would get 90% of the blame while the rest of the team, including coach Westerhoff, gets the remaining 10%❗️

Cheers.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Toxicarrow wrote:
Do not judge a book by its cover... Read the book, with the open mind. It is a fun and easy read. I have seven chapters read so far out of 20.
I believe this. Oliseh has a certain self righteousness that would make for interesting reading.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

kalani JR wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
I believe this. Oliseh has a certain self righteousness that would make for interesting reading.
You sound like you know the man. Yes you are on the right track. I absolutely agree with you on this. I just ordered a copy of the book.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Toxicarrow wrote:My copy of Sunday Oliseh's book - "Audacity to Refuse" arrived at my doorstep four hours ago. In my curiosity for the "inside scoop" on what happened in Mali 2002, I went straight to the three chapters ( 16, 17 & 18) about the pre-Mali 2002 qualifying matches, Mali 2002, and 2002 WC. Oliseh tactically lambasted Jay Jay Okocha even without naming him. He called him "selfish" and "egoist" who destabilized the team for his own selfish goals. In sum, he partly blamed Okocha for the ugly episodes in Mali. Of course, Nigerian media, NFA and Sport Minister were not spared by Oliseh

However, what was quite shocking and revealing in these three chapters about Mali 2002 was Coach Amodu's poor medical condition. He wrote:
"The coaches were also unpaid and Coach Shuaibu called me up to this room for a private talk. He informed me that he had a bad feeling about the FA, and shocked me when he confided in me that he had serious health problems that no one knew about. I broke down completely and had to sit down. That explained why Coach Shuaibu was always confined to his room, only venturing out for training sessions, matches, and dinner. He implored me to keep it to myself, which I have till date" - p. 316
What he said about JJ was right.

JJ and Kanu now did the double on them by accepting to be part of the very team that went to the WC and gave a semblance of legitimacy to NFF/Sports Ministry shenanigans.

But what he can't explain is even after he personally suffered the ignominy at the hands of the NFF and Sports Minister he too played a bigger role in what happened to Vincent Enyeama and Mikel Obi when he took over as coach. He wanted to become the supreme leader and didn't care how he treated the very veterans that have suffered the same fate as he did when he was with the National Team.

I loved Oliseh as a player and as a Captain. I rank him second to The Big Boss when it comes to advocating for team welfare. Greatly disappointed in how he handled his assignment as National Team Coach.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

kalani JR wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
Kpom!

Those of you who would read the book abeg, help us know why he also had problems relating with people outside Naijaria.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:

Honestly, if we were to assign blame for the loss to Italy in the 94 World Cup, Oliseh would get 90% of the blame while the rest of the team, including coach Westerhoff, gets the remaining 10%❗️

Cheers.
You are being too kind honestly, 99% of it goes to him. His mistake was too elementary
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cheers.

You dont know much about football. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:My copy of Sunday Oliseh's book - "Audacity to Refuse" arrived at my doorstep four hours ago. In my curiosity for the "inside scoop" on what happened in Mali 2002, I went straight to the three chapters ( 16, 17 & 18) about the pre-Mali 2002 qualifying matches, Mali 2002, and 2002 WC. Oliseh tactically lambasted Jay Jay Okocha even without naming him. He called him "selfish" and "egoist" who destabilized the team for his own selfish goals. In sum, he partly blamed Okocha for the ugly episodes in Mali. Of course, Nigerian media, NFA and Sport Minister were not spared by Oliseh

JJ and Kanu now did the double on them by accepting to be part of the very team that went to the WC and gave a semblance of legitimacy to NFF/Sports Ministry shenanigans.

But what he can't explain is even after he personally suffered the ignominy at the hands of the NFF and Sports Minister he too played a bigger role in what happened to Vincent Enyeama and Mikel Obi when he took over as coach. He wanted to become the supreme leader and didn't care how he treated the very veterans that have suffered the same fate as he did when he was with the National Team.

I loved Oliseh as a player and as a Captain. I rank him second to The Big Boss when it comes to advocating for team welfare. Greatly disappointed in how he handled his assignment as National Team Coach.
Unfortunately, Enyeama thought he was bigger than the team and the country. He had to be put in his place. No coach will tolerate a player with the rotten attitude of Enyeama. Even at Lille, Bielsa banished him to the annals, far away from the first team.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Unfortunately, Enyeama thought he was bigger than the team and the country. He had to be put in his place. No coach will tolerate a player with the rotten attitude of Enyeama. Even at Lille, Bielsa banished him to the annals, far away from the first team.
This your bitterness towards Enyeama will not kee you! Enyeama reported to camp a few days after his mother's burial, so much for someone who thought he was bigger than the nation!
Bielsa sidelined senior players and not just Enyeama and he paid the price with a sacking!!!
I am happy
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

furiously frank wrote:Thanks Tosin. Can’t wait to read this book

who be Tosin?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:

I support this post with a sack of garri.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:

talking about 2002....not sure Toxic remembers this, nut not just JJ and Kanu took deals to go to the WC...Oliseh also reportedly cut a deal. His ego got the better of him and scuttled the deal when Pa Oni leaked....
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

This your bitterness towards Enyeama will not kee you!
Enyeama reported to camp a few days after his mother's burial, so much for someone who thought he was bigger than the nation!
Bielsa sidelined senior players and not just Enyeama and he paid the price with a sacking!!!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nuff said.
Nor be today. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote:

Cheers.

You dont know much about football. :oops:

KPOM!!!

Nothing else to add.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

This your bitterness towards Enyeama will not kee you! Enyeama reported to camp a few days after his mother's burial, so much for someone who thought he was bigger than the nation!

You and I know this is not correct.

No serious coach will accept that kind of attitude from any player...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

You are right. But it might kee you!

Enyeama was disgraced out of the national team and that is his legacy! We will also never forget how he paid a lot of shameless people to try to force him into our world cup team to revive his finished career! Tufia!