Oliseh's Book and his "attack" of JJ Okocha

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oliseh's Book and his "attack" of JJ Okocha

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote:
Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:My copy of Sunday Oliseh's book - "Audacity to Refuse" arrived at my doorstep four hours ago. In my curiosity for the "inside scoop" on what happened in Mali 2002, I went straight to the three chapters ( 16, 17 & 18) about the pre-Mali 2002 qualifying matches, Mali 2002, and 2002 WC. Oliseh tactically lambasted Jay Jay Okocha even without naming him. He called him "selfish" and "egoist" who destabilized the team for his own selfish goals. In sum, he partly blamed Okocha for the ugly episodes in Mali. Of course, Nigerian media, NFA and Sport Minister were not spared by Oliseh

However, what was quite shocking and revealing in these three chapters about Mali 2002 was Coach Amodu's poor medical condition. He wrote:
"The coaches were also unpaid and Coach Shuaibu called me up to this room for a private talk. He informed me that he had a bad feeling about the FA, and shocked me when he confided in me that he had serious health problems that no one knew about. I broke down completely and had to sit down. That explained why Coach Shuaibu was always confined to his room, only venturing out for training sessions, matches, and dinner. He implored me to keep it to myself, which I have till date" - p. 316
What he said about JJ was right.

JJ and Kanu now did the double on them by accepting to be part of the very team that went to the WC and gave a semblance of legitimacy to NFF/Sports Ministry shenanigans.

But what he can't explain is even after he personally suffered the ignominy at the hands of the NFF and Sports Minister he too played a bigger role in what happened to Vincent Enyeama and Mikel Obi when he took over as coach. He wanted to become the supreme leader and didn't care how he treated the very veterans that have suffered the same fate as he did when he was with the National Team.

I loved Oliseh as a player and as a Captain. I rank him second to The Big Boss when it comes to advocating for team welfare. Greatly disappointed in how he handled his assignment as National Team Coach.
Unfortunately, Enyeama thought he was bigger than the team and the country. He had to be put in his place. No coach will tolerate a player with the rotten attitude of Enyeama. Even at Lille, Bielsa banished him to the annals, far away from the first team.
This your bitterness towards Enyeama will not kee you! Enyeama reported to camp a few days after his mother's burial, so much for someone who thought he was bigger than the nation!
Bielsa sidelined senior players and not just Enyeama and he paid the price with a sacking!!!

You and I know this is not correct.

No serious coach will accept that kind of attitude from any player...
They think that we dont know the true story of what happened during that the dinner. Left to these people, they will rewrite history to completely wipe the truth! I dont blame them! All the money they have eaten from Enyeama is their motivation.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cellular wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:My copy of Sunday Oliseh's book - "Audacity to Refuse" arrived at my doorstep four hours ago. In my curiosity for the "inside scoop" on what happened in Mali 2002, I went straight to the three chapters ( 16, 17 & 18) about the pre-Mali 2002 qualifying matches, Mali 2002, and 2002 WC. Oliseh tactically lambasted Jay Jay Okocha even without naming him. He called him "selfish" and "egoist" who destabilized the team for his own selfish goals. In sum, he partly blamed Okocha for the ugly episodes in Mali. Of course, Nigerian media, NFA and Sport Minister were not spared by Oliseh

However, what was quite shocking and revealing in these three chapters about Mali 2002 was Coach Amodu's poor medical condition. He wrote:
"The coaches were also unpaid and Coach Shuaibu called me up to this room for a private talk. He informed me that he had a bad feeling about the FA, and shocked me when he confided in me that he had serious health problems that no one knew about. I broke down completely and had to sit down. That explained why Coach Shuaibu was always confined to his room, only venturing out for training sessions, matches, and dinner. He implored me to keep it to myself, which I have till date" - p. 316

JJ and Kanu now did the double on them by accepting to be part of the very team that went to the WC and gave a semblance of legitimacy to NFF/Sports Ministry shenanigans.

But what he can't explain is even after he personally suffered the ignominy at the hands of the NFF and Sports Minister he too played a bigger role in what happened to Vincent Enyeama and Mikel Obi when he took over as coach. He wanted to become the supreme leader and didn't care how he treated the very veterans that have suffered the same fate as he did when he was with the National Team.

I loved Oliseh as a player and as a Captain. I rank him second to The Big Boss when it comes to advocating for team welfare. Greatly disappointed in how he handled his assignment as National Team Coach.
I believe his time as a player informed his style as a coach wrt his players and the NFF.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote:
txj wrote:
Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Unfortunately, Enyeama thought he was bigger than the team and the country. He had to be put in his place. No coach will tolerate a player with the rotten attitude of Enyeama. Even at Lille, Bielsa banished him to the annals, far away from the first team.
This your bitterness towards Enyeama will not kee you! Enyeama reported to camp a few days after his mother's burial, so much for someone who thought he was bigger than the nation!
Bielsa sidelined senior players and not just Enyeama and he paid the price with a sacking!!!

They think that we dont know the true story of what happened during that the dinner. Left to these people, they will rewrite history to completely wipe the truth! I dont blame them! All the money they have eaten from Enyeama is their motivation.
Vincent Enyeama MON, 2013 AFCON winner, first centurion in caps for Nigeria, 3 times World Cup player, voted best goalkeeper in France and Africa and recently acknowledged as Nigeria's best ever goalkeeper. CAPTAIN, LEADER and LEGEND!!
No revisionist will rewrite your story!! :taunt: :taunt:
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote:
txj wrote:
Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Eyah, now I understand your bitterness. Enyeama refused to drop abi? Pele o! :lol: :lol:
I am happy
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Dammy wrote:Vincent Enyeama MON, 2013 AFCON winner, first centurion in caps for Nigeria, 3 times World Cup player, voted best goalkeeper in France and Africa and recently acknowledged as Nigeria's best ever goalkeeper. CAPTAIN, LEADER and LEGEND!!
It is like you have forgotten that he is also a two-time winner of the African Champion Clubs Cup (by whatever name) .... which ended our drought in that competition, and marked the only times we've won it so far (alas) .... as well as a three-time winner of the Nigerian domestic league. His curriculum vitae is singular and exceptional in the history of Nigerian goalkeepers.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote: Vincent Enyeama MON, 2013 AFCON winner, first centurion in caps for Nigeria, 3 times World Cup player, voted best goalkeeper in France and Africa and recently acknowledged as Nigeria's best ever goalkeeper. CAPTAIN, LEADER and LEGEND!!

The guy dey use taunt emoji :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I dont think you know who you are chatting with. I :lol: :lol: :lol: I told you guys that I would make sure Enyeama does not go to the world cup and I will end his career! I did that in 2018! My revenge was complete. And I know it hurt Enyeama and it hurt you and the likes of Obong Itatex that your benefactor did not go to that world cup and his career ended! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Anything else na your shelenge be that! I got my revenge :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote: Eyah, now I understand your bitterness. Enyeama refused to drop abi? Pele o! :lol: :lol:
Actually, he was dropped and his career ended! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote:
Dammy wrote: Vincent Enyeama MON, 2013 AFCON winner, first centurion in caps for Nigeria, 3 times World Cup player, voted best goalkeeper in France and Africa and recently acknowledged as Nigeria's best ever goalkeeper. CAPTAIN, LEADER and LEGEND!!

The guy dey use taunt emoji :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I dont think you know who you are chatting with. I :lol: :lol: :lol: I told you guys that I would make sure Enyeama does not go to the world cup and I will end his career! I did that in 2018! My revenge was complete. And I know it hurt Enyeama and it hurt you and the likes of Obong Itatex that your benefactor did not go to that world cup and his career ended! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Anything else na your shelenge be that! I got my revenge :lol: :lol:
See serious delusion! :taunt: :taunt:
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

See serious delusion! :taunt: :taunt:
Career over! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote:
txj wrote:
Dammy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Why is it with you guys that anyone that takes a stance on something is doing it for money?

Is your 'hatred' for Enyeama also over money?

I was one of those who was in complete support of Enyeama being considered for the 2018 WC. I am one of legacy and backstory. And the goalkeeping department was an area of need heading into the World Cup. It would have made for a storybook ending for one of the greatest footballers we have produced. And arguably the greatest Keeper. I am not a fan of how we unceremoniously drop our superstars. The circumstances surrounding his drop have been rehashed. The thing folks like you also refuse to acknowledge was why was Mikel given the same treatment by Oliseh? And as for Enyeama reporting late after his Mother's death, I repeat that Oliseh handled it poorly. The death and the mourning process for a mother is something that hits people differently. Oliseh exhibited a total lack of empathy... him exerting his authority was more important than showing empathy especially towards a player that is no ordinary player. Enyeama has sacrificed as much if not more than Oliseh and he deserved more respect.

Westerhoff did it for Keshi. Keshi did it for Yobo... they understand tradition. And rewarding players who carried the team.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Cellular, don't mind him jare! his understanding of football issues is limited. He should tell us what the REVENGE is all about, is it because Enyeama refused to drop money for him?
He has taken delusion to another level claiming his comments led to Enyeama not going to the 2018 WC! Most of us on this forum know that our comments are just our opinions and is not binding on the NFF, Rohr or Enyeama. That is the reality most of us live in but there is an unhinged minority who take themselves too seriously and believe their comments influence footballing decisions! :shock: :shock:
The fact that Oliseh ignored the episode that led to Enyeama's retirement from the SE in his book reveals that with the benefit of hindsight, he may have realised that he handled the incident wrongly.
I am happy
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:Why is it with you guys that anyone that takes a stance on something is doing it for money?

I was one of those who was in complete support of Enyeama being considered for the 2018 WC. I am one of legacy and backstory. And the goalkeeping department was an area of need heading into the World Cup. It would have made for a storybook ending for one of the greatest footballers we have produced. And arguably the greatest Keeper. I am not a fan of how we unceremoniously drop our superstars. The circumstances surrounding his drop have been rehashed. The thing folks like you also refuse to acknowledge was why was Mikel given the same treatment by Oliseh? And as for Enyeama reporting late after his Mother's death, I repeat that Oliseh handled it poorly. The death and the mourning process for a mother is something that hits people differently. Oliseh exhibited a total lack of empathy... him exerting his authority was more important than showing empathy especially towards a player that is no ordinary player. Enyeama has sacrificed as much if not more than Oliseh and he deserved more respect.

Westerhoff did it for Keshi. Keshi did it for Yobo... they understand tradition. And rewarding players who carried the team.

You are not telling yourself the truth.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:Why is it with you guys that anyone that takes a stance on something is doing it for money?

You are not telling yourself the truth.
Can you tell me what the truth is?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Uncle,

It seems obvious to me that you are concentrating too much on Oliseh! Are you telling me that you have forgotten what Enyeama did to other Super Eagles coaches before Oliseh? Wait, am I dreaming this thing? Why is everyone forgetting what we all know! Why is everyone pretending like the first time Enyeama tried to destroy our team was that night at the dinner?

Na wa o.
Cellular wrote: Why is it with you guys that anyone that takes a stance on something is doing it for money?

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

talking about 2002....not sure Toxic remembers this, nut not just JJ and Kanu took deals to go to the WC...Oliseh also reportedly cut a deal. His ego got the better of him and scuttled the deal when Pa Oni leaked....
Chief Ogbunigwe: Everything seems like yesterday. He referenced his chat with Pa Oni in few words (one paragraph). Here is what he wrote:
"Eventually, some weeks later, I got a phone call from Mr. Onigbinde Festus with regard to his intention to have me on the World Cup team. I told him that I loved my country and feared my God too much to betray others by joining him. Furthermore, most of the players who gave their blood, sweat, and tears to qualify Nigeria to the World Cup 2002 were being dropped by Onigbinde for players who did not play a minute of the qualification rounds. I wished him well and bid him goodbye. The next day, Mr. Onigbinde went public to falsely tell Nigerians that I had abandoned the country" - p. 323.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Cellular wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
jette1 wrote:Say what!! Audacity to refuse ?
Of all he could have chosen for a book title ?
Tells me there’s nothing inside
Do not judge a book by its cover... Read the book, with the open mind. It is a fun and easy read. I have seven chapters read so far out of 20.
I believe this. Oliseh has a certain self righteousness that would make for interesting reading.
Kpom!

Those of you who would read the book abeg, help us know why he also had problems relating with people outside Naijaria.
Oga Cellular: hmmm...It appears you read the book already?
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Cellular wrote: And as for Enyeama reporting late after his Mother's death, I repeat that Oliseh handled it poorly. The death and the mourning process for a mother is something that hits people differently. Oliseh exhibited a total lack of empathy... him exerting his authority was more important than showing empathy especially towards a player that is no ordinary player. Enyeama has sacrificed as much if not more than Oliseh and he deserved more respect.

FYI, Oliseh called out his coach at VFL Bochum, Bert van Marwijk, for "total lack of empathy" for players. He illustrated this with the examples of how the coach treated Ghanaian player named Otto Addo and Ahmed Mahdounni (French Algerian player) who "lost his father to cancer." Oliseh wrote: Mahdounni was "distraught and inconsolable. Coach van Marwijk was not even sensitive enough to offer his condolences or support to the player. On the contrary, he incessantly yelled out words, bullying the poor fella on a constant basis and verbally abusing him for errors as little as a failed pass" (p. 341).
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Cellular wrote:

Chief , I beg to differ ..
Enyeama had already indicated a willingness to retire from the SE before Oliseh took over . Oliseh sought Enyeama's commitment but Enyeama wouldnt sufficiently commit to plans going forward so Oliseh moved forward with Ahmed Musa as captain (JMO and Vic Moses likewise didn't provide sufficient commitment) . Only for Enyeama to stroll into camp expecting to continue as Captain and upon being told that Musa was now Captain proceeded to throw the mother of all tantrums claiming it was because his mother died .

Note gain that Oliseh didnt boot him from the NT . He only handed the captaincy to someone he felt was more committed to the cause. A cause that Enyeama himself had previously publicly expressed his uncertainty WRT further involvement.

i understand that people may react differently to death of parents but I dont think that's an excuse for grown men not to exhibit professionalism. When my own father died in one hospital while my son was on life support in another, the first thing I did was send email to my employers to say abeg these projects I am overseeing oh will likely be impacted
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

talking about 2002....not sure Toxic remembers this, nut not just JJ and Kanu took deals to go to the WC...Oliseh also reportedly cut a deal. His ego got the better of him and scuttled the deal when Pa Oni leaked....
I done forget the terms and conditions of the deal. Abeg, talk am :)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

wanaj0 wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cellular wrote:

I done forget the terms and conditions of the deal. Abeg, talk am :)
Taiwo Ogunjobi, the NFF secretary-general at that time overruled Onigbinde, that was why the likes of Oliseh, Finidi, Babangida, Agali etc missed the world cup.
I am happy
Gboye7777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye7777 »

BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Enyeama had already indicated a willingness to retire from the SE before Oliseh took over . Oliseh sought Enyeama's commitment but Enyeama wouldnt sufficiently commit to plans going forward so Oliseh moved forward with Ahmed Musa as captain (JMO and Vic Moses likewise didn't provide sufficient commitment) . Only for Enyeama to stroll into camp expecting to continue as Captain and upon being told that Musa was now Captain proceeded to throw the mother of all tantrums claiming it was because his mother died .

Note gain that Oliseh didnt boot him from the NT . He only handed the captaincy to someone he felt was more committed to the cause. A cause that Enyeama himself had previously publicly expressed his uncertainty WRT further involvement.

i understand that people may react differently to death of parents but I dont think that's an excuse for grown men not to exhibit professionalism. When my own father died in one hospital while my son was on life support in another, the first thing I did was send email to my employers to say abeg these projects I am overseeing oh will likely be impacted

Sorry to hear this. I hope your son made it.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Gboye7777 wrote:
BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Sorry to hear this. I hope your son made it.
BA P: Damn so sorry to read the above. Hope your son made it and all is well....
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

I bought the book. I have almost finished... just a few pages of the final chapter.

Indeed it does have a "I am a golden child" vibe to it but it's his own biography, so of course it'll be like that.
I like how the books does talk about things behind the scenes... disappointing but not surprising. The NFA really showed dem pepper, both players and coaching staff. Jo Bonfrère was very patient.

One part of the book did surprise me a bit: after NIGERIA vs CONGO in AFCON 2000 in lagos, angry fans stoned the bus and almost seriously injured some players.
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.