I think it's time to ditch this wing play nonsense

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I think it's time to ditch this wing play nonsense

Post by vancity eagle »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:06 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:03 pm
nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am

= We need to revert back to 433 or 4231, meaning Iheanacho will have to start from the bench. This would enable the likes of Simon, Chukwueze, Lookman, Amoo etc attack from wide. Width would be provided by the full backs of which Aina & Sanusi have proven very competent. Iwobi is still very more needed in this team but we need more midfielders. I'll have Ndidi, Onyeka, Aribo, Nwakali, Iwobi & Nwobodo. Our team is not bad at all just needs a bit of tinkering and Eguaveon should be left to continue. I we organise ourselves we could be champions come July 2023.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

It is amazing that in 2022 we are still making elementary mistakes like playing an outdated 442 with only 2 central midfielders tasked with both creating and defending.

Did Egu not watch any of our matches under Rohr where this tactic failed ?

Did Egu not see that SE under Rohr played much better with a 4231/433 ?

The guy was just stuck on 1994. Like was he in a coma for the past 3 decades ? Old outdated coach.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I dont know whose bubble you're bursting, but its not mine...my central point still stands, regardless of the fact that we did not create enough or make the required adjustments against Tunisia.
I simply cant even stand to think of going back to the sterile version of the SE we had under Rohr
nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am Yup lets go back to Rohr days when we were guaranteed to lose to any European team we came across..Lets do our best to mimic all the latest trends in Eropean football, lets see how far that gets us
Oga I hate to burst your bubble but the team that I saw play Tunisia would chop a minimum of 2 without reply from a decent European team. Our attack is blunt against decent teams. Has been for a long time. We need a mentality change to fix this, not a coaching change.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:05 pm
Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:16 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:36 pm Not quite. We just needed accurate crossers.
Why we need Ademola Lookman.

None of our wingers can cross.

Only Aina and Nwakali are effective at crossing.
You guys just spat out rubbish sometimes - no offence intended-

Crosses for who?

Which of your strikers has scores multiple headed goals….Oshimen excluded( he is just great)

Cross the ball, cross the ball for who exactly? Iheanacho, Awoniyi maybe Ekong….

We can’t cross the ball and we don’t need ppl that cross the ball….we need wingers that will contribute to scoring goals and create them not just crossing the ball

Sorry for the rant
Um you do know Osimehn is actually pretty good in the air. Besides if the crosses are good you dont exactly have to be known for you heading ability to score. These are professional footballers, if they are open and somebody finds them with an accurate cross, they will likely score.

What you are essentially advocating is for us to limit our attacking options. Why would you want to do that.

And it isn't just crossing. A guy like lookman is much better at finding players with ON GROUND passing. Go look at his key pass statistics and compare to our culdesac wingers like Simon and Chukwueze.
I am not saying that Lookman won’t add to the squad….I am saying that problem is not because the wingers cannot cross…..

The problem is that Egu thought he will play a pure wing game that’s amateurish
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:01 pm I dont know whose bubble you're bursting, but its not mine...my central point still stands, regardless of the fact that we did not create enough or make the required adjustments against Tunisia.
I simply cant even stand to think of going back to the sterile version of the SE we had under Rohr
nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am Yup lets go back to Rohr days when we were guaranteed to lose to any European team we came across..Lets do our best to mimic all the latest trends in Eropean football, lets see how far that gets us
Oga I hate to burst your bubble but the team that I saw play Tunisia would chop a minimum of 2 without reply from a decent European team. Our attack is blunt against decent teams. Has been for a long time. We need a mentality change to fix this, not a coaching change.
That bubble. Under Rohr we beat lower ranked European teams like Iceland and Poland and lost to halfway decent European teams like Serbia (0-2), England (1-2), Czech Rep (0-2), Croatia (0-2) etc. Rohr or not, right now we are pretty much guaranteed similar results against European teams. Can't score against common Tunisia over 90+ minutes and it is European teams you want to chance. Kai! Nigerians! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:19 pm
nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:01 pm I dont know whose bubble you're bursting, but its not mine...my central point still stands, regardless of the fact that we did not create enough or make the required adjustments against Tunisia.
That bubble. Rohr or not, right now we don't have what it takes to compete against any decent European team.
Simply put…. Not with Rohr and not with Eguaveon
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:23 pm
That bubble. Rohr or not, right now we don't have what it takes to compete against any decent European team.
Might the players at our disposal have something to do with it as well? :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 pm
Might the players at our disposal have something to do with it as well? :mrgreen:
No they do not….

The players at Rohr and Eguaveon disposal should beat Cape Verde and a depleted Tunisian team respectively…

If does players are not good enough for that….why even turn up against Ghana? Pls don’t spew out that rubbish football ain’t maths

The fact that Eguaveon thinks that his mistake was failure to bring on Ejuke should tell u all u need to know

Even worse…..

Rohr thinks that we should not be on the same pitch as Algeria and Egypt,…

Nothing to do with the players….the players are good enough to beat that Tunisian team…and if u don’t think so…,SORRY

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

There is really nothing worth debating; EGU basically failed to do anything strategic against Tunisia. He was simply mentally lazy knowing fully well that everyone had seen our playbook. Men !!! This is cup of nations meeeeennn!!! Who does that ?
All these talk about the wings didn’t work is utter nonsense. The wings would have worked if they were supplemented with an attacking wing backs . EBUEHI and now fit again Awaziem or should have started the game. Nwakali and Ejuke should have started the game. These alone would have completely confused the Tunisians strategy
Last edited by jette1 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:35 pm
No they do not….

The players at Rohr and Eguaveon disposal should beat Cape Verde and a depleted Tunisian team respectively…

If does players are not good enough for that….why even turn up against Ghana? Pls don’t spew out that rubbish football ain’t maths

The fact that Eguaveon thinks that his mistake was failure to bring on Ejuke should tell u all u need to know

Even worse…..

Nothing to do with the players….the players are good enough to beat that Tunisian team…and if u don’t think so…,SORRY
Well they didn't do it on the green grass, so the bolded and underlined is just an unprovable opinion, and you know what they say about opinions ...

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

And this again is not true.

Under Rohr our team played Ukraine off the park in their own backyard.

If not for those subs at the end, we would have beat them.

It really depends how the European teams play us. In an open game like Ukraine we would issue the serious bitterness, (provided we don't miss all the chances we would create)

If the euro team sat back (like Tunisia and CAR) then yes we would likely struggle.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:49 pm
Enyi wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:35 pm

No they do not….

Even worse…..

Well they didn't do it on the green grass, so the bolded and underlined is just an unprovable opinion, and you know what they say about opinions ...
They didn’t because the coach couldn’t make use of the tools given to him…

The players are the tools btw

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 am
And this again is not true.

Under Rohr our team played Ukraine off the park in their own backyard.

If not for those subs at the end, we would have beat them.

It really depends how the European teams play us. In an open game like Ukraine we would issue the serious bitterness, (provided we don't miss all the chances we would create)

If the euro team sat back (like Tunisia and CAR) then yes we would likely struggle.
It depends on the coach to READ the game and play to counteract whatever formation he or she sees in front of them…

If a team parks the bus….u don’t play Awoniyi, I’ve the center back is slow and a high line….don’t play Ighalo….

It is common sense….

Look at Pep, Klopp, Tuchel Conte and co….

Their formation and personal shift to fit the team they are facing unless you have a talisman - in our case Oshimen….without him….

The whole Kelechi Awoniyi crap is just a punt….so u played the same team against an expressive side (Egypt). Against a defensive side….(Tunisia)

Are you expecting the players to adapt on the pitch?

So what exactly is your job?

Rohr is not it, Egu isn’t either and if he manages the team against Ghana….what happened in Brentford, England will happen again

-Martin Luther King- Jr.