This AFCON we failed to win were due to finishing

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
This AFCON we failed to win were due to finishing

Post by Bigpokey24 »

yes we lost to a Tunisia playing 0ver 38 mins with 10 men... we missed this man

may the good lord make this boy healthy and in serious form ...this was the main reason we didn't win the cup .. i have spoken . We have no player that takes the game like VIC at the moment .. chei i hope he is back to his best ooo
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This AFCON we failed to win were due to finishing

Post by bret- hart »

Man if we had Osimhen and Dennis we would have laid waste to every other team in this AFCON. Kai!
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

bret- hart wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:15 am Man if we had Osimhen and Dennis we would have laid waste to every other team in this AFCON. Kai!
Really? With that basket case **** in goal???????????

Edit by mod: Please refrain from racial baiting.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Just like with Rohr we barely created any chances vs Tunisia.

Finishing was not the problem.

I'd you haven't noticed. Osimehn has struggled with SE since we dropped the 3 man midfield and started to play 442.

Egu did the same so Osimehn wouldn't have helped much.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

That is not true Vancity.

There were at least three goal scoring opportunities against Tunisia. I would say that all three were easier chances to score than the goal the Tunisians scored!

We would definitely have beaten Tunisia with better finishers. Aribo, Sadiq should have scored. Even Ndidi should have done better.

Ndidi was well placed for so many opportunities of late, he didn't fail to score because the opportunities were difficult but mostly because of poor technique. He makes the same mistake that I make in my neighbourhood park.

He drags the ball wide....but at least I only do that when I tried to curve it and don't get it right. Strangely Ndidi drags the ball wide when simply going for a pure hit. They don't teach many of these guys how to strike the ball.

Even Iwobi doesn't know how to strike the ball. He doesn't put his laces through it when going for power. He only knows how to sidefoot.

Iheanacho's left foot and Osimhen are the only trustworthy options that we have currently. Dennis and the others that are yet to established themselves or be called up, may also prove trustworthy potentially.

If you can only score with an open net, then you do not know how to strike the ball.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

How can we fail to win sometime we were not even in contention to win? Comoros did better than SE.
Rubbish talk.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbite wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:37 pm That is not true Vancity.

There were at least three goal scoring opportunities against Tunisia. I would say that all three were easier chances to score than the goal the Tunisians scored!

We would definitely have beaten Tunisia with better finishers. Aribo, Sadiq should have scored. Even Ndidi should have done better.

Ndidi was well placed for so many opportunities of late, he didn't fail to score because the opportunities were difficult but mostly because of poor technique. He makes the same mistake that I make in my neighbourhood park.

He drags the ball wide....but at least I only do that when I tried to curve it and don't get it right. Strangely Ndidi drags the ball wide when simply going for a pure hit. They don't teach many of these guys how to strike the ball.

Even Iwobi doesn't know how to strike the ball. He doesn't put his laces through it when going for power. He only knows how to sidefoot.

Iheanacho's left foot and Osimhen are the only trustworthy options that we have currently. Dennis and the others that are yet to established themselves or be called up, may also prove trustworthy potentially.

If you can only score with an open net, then you do not know how to strike the ball.
You need to be creating more than 3 HALF CHANCES a game.

What do you think the conversion rate of most teams is ?

Most teams will maybe convert one of six or seven half chances and one of three CLEAR chances.

Your numbers of chances needs to be high and it simply wasn't.

Creation of chances was a much bigger problem than finishing.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:28 pm

Most teams will maybe convert one of six or seven half chances and one of three CLEAR chances.

But they weren't just half chances, Simon's was point blank 1 v 1 with the goalie, so too was Sadiq's 1 v 1 with the goalie out and he rolled the ball wide of goal. The half chances were the ones that fell to Aribo and Ndidi.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Ndidi was well placed for so many opportunities of late, he didn't fail to score because the opportunities were difficult but mostly because of poor technique.
He makes the same mistake that I make in my neighbourhood park.

Very True all you have written.
I knew we would create a lot of scoring opportunities against any opponents but my fear was always Finishing ( scoring )
In close games we may only have 3 good opportunities like the one Simon Moses missed.
Also teams may purposely injure Osimhen, what happens then ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm

But they weren't just half chances, Simon's was point blank 1 v 1 with the goalie, so too was Sadiq's 1 v 1 with the goalie out and he rolled the ball wide of goal. The half chances were the ones that fell to Aribo and Ndidi.
Sadiq had a wide angle it wasn't really a clear chance.

Which Simon one ? The one after he miscontrolled the cross from Olayinka ? That was not a clear chance.

Clear chance is one that should more often than not result in a goal.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

blueangel wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:26 pm

Ndidi was well placed for so many opportunities of late, he didn't fail to score because the opportunities were difficult but mostly because of poor technique.
He makes the same mistake that I make in my neighbourhood park.

Very True all you have written.
I knew we would create a lot of scoring opportunities against any opponents but my fear was always Finishing ( scoring )
In close games we may only have 3 good opportunities like the one Simon Moses missed.
Also teams may purposely injure Osimhen, what happens then ?
We did not create "A LOT" of chances vs Tunisia, that is simply a LIE.

We did create a lot of chances vs Egypt. But there it wasn't really finishing being the culprit, but poor decision making.

We must really evaluate "clear chances" and what that means.

For me messing up a 3 on 1 because of poor passing or decision making is more of a clear chance than Sadiq who was at such a wide angle being through on goal.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Undertaker wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:12 am
bret- hart wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:15 am Man if we had Osimhen and Dennis we would have laid waste to every other team in this AFCON. Kai!
Really? With that basket case Oyinbo in goal???????????
My broda na the only weakness we get. If Uzoho was the number 1 we would have been set.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:31 am Just like with Rohr we barely created any chances vs Tunisia.

Finishing was not the problem.

I'd you haven't noticed. Osimehn has struggled with SE since we dropped the 3 man midfield and started to play 442.

Egu did the same so Osimehn wouldn't have helped much.
FACT
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:14 pm
maceo4 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm

Sadiq had a wide angle it wasn't really a clear chance.

Which Simon one ? The one after he miscontrolled the cross from Olayinka ? That was not a clear chance.

Clear chance is one that should more often than not result in a goal.
See the video below, cross completely took out the defense and he was one on one with the keeper. He didn’t even have to control or do what he did, a first time shot could have been taken, a bike or other options that a top finisher would take. So finishing was definitely a problem as they barely had any such clear chances but beat us from a speculative half chance, a whole Tunisia o not no CAR…

Whether Sadiqs chance was wide or not the keeper was out and he was behind the defense one on one with a clear angle to score, this second video is an even harder chance out wide that Osimhen scored like a confident finisher who didn’t even have to think twice. Plus we are talking about the same Osimhen that creates chances for himself on top of the little service he gets and you think we wouldn’t have had more scoring opportunities with a fully fit Vic? That would be shocking to say the least…

Anyways we played them in 3rd place last time out and you can see how little ‘clear chances’ we created with a full 11 players and scored from an opportunistic mistake. Just like they capitalized from our goalies mistake to win this time around…

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

When the replacement strikers were named some of us mentioned that both Taiwo and Sadiq were not good enough at this level and suggested that Dressers should have been selected because he is more clinical then both of the strikers taken to the tournament. Apart from being more clinical Dressers is faster than both and would have been ideal on the fast break. I remember in one of the group stage matches a fast break and Sadiq could not keep up with play and was missing in the box.

Both Taiwo and Sadiq have proven that Nigeria will never win a tournament with them leading the line; they don’t provide enough fire power and this is the reason why taking Nacho out of the Tunisian game didn’t make any sense. Some argued that he was having a poor game. How many times have great player had poor games then come alive all of a sudden. Baggio against Nigeria was having a poor game until he scored. I have seen Harry Kane have a poor game them suddenly scores. The unspoken rule is never take off your only goal threat. I expected the removal of Chukweze who was a passenger in the first half. In boxing you use different types of punches to execute a fight for example a fighter can use jabs, upper cuts, hook shots, over hand, body shots or big knockout punches. In Nigeria’s case removing Nacho translated to removing the only Knockout punch threat and relying on executing the fight with Jabs (Olayinka, Iwobi,Sadiq & Musa) None of whom posed a clinical threat and require several chances to score a single goal. A Dressers would have provided another knock punch in the squad and even that may not have been enough but would have preferred it to no threat. Furthermore if the game came down to penalties who would have taken ours ? And which goalkeeper would have helped us in such a situation? Okoye? We would have lost. From the starting line up my five pen takers would have been Nacho, Simon, Aribo, Chuks, Awoniyi, being subbed would replace with Sadiq & if Chuks was subbed replaced by Musa

Our game plan should always include varying the attack ie go through the middle, wings & on occasion go long. But I agree the team was let down by the strikers
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

He drags the ball wide....but at least I only do that when I tried to curve it
and don't get it right. Strangely Ndidi drags the ball wide when simply going for a pure hit. They don't teach many of these guys how to strike the ball.

Maybe Egu needs to call you up as Ndidi’s replacement.
:idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Flex Swift wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:02 am When the replacement strikers were named some of us mentioned that both Taiwo and Sadiq were not good enough at this level and suggested that Dressers should have been selected because he is more clinical then both of the strikers taken to the tournament. Apart from being more clinical Dressers is faster than both and would have been ideal on the fast break. I remember in one of the group stage matches a fast break and Sadiq could not keep up with play and was missing in the box.

Both Taiwo and Sadiq have proven that Nigeria will never win a tournament with them leading the line; they don’t provide enough fire power and this is the reason why taking Nacho out of the Tunisian game didn’t make any sense. Some argued that he was having a poor game. How many times have great player had poor games then come alive all of a sudden. Baggio against Nigeria was having a poor game until he scored. I have seen Harry Kane have a poor game them suddenly scores. The unspoken rule is never take off your only goal threat. I expected the removal of Chukweze who was a passenger in the first half. In boxing you use different types of punches to execute a fight for example a fighter can use jabs, upper cuts, hook shots, over hand, body shots or big knockout punches. In Nigeria’s case removing Nacho translated to removing the only Knockout punch threat and relying on executing the fight with Jabs (Olayinka, Iwobi,Sadiq & Musa) None of whom posed a clinical threat and require several chances to score a single goal. A Dressers would have provided another knock punch in the squad and even that may not have been enough but would have preferred it to no threat. Furthermore if the game came down to penalties who would have taken ours ? And which goalkeeper would have helped us in such a situation? Okoye? We would have lost. From the starting line up my five pen takers would have been Nacho, Simon, Aribo, Chuks, Awoniyi, being subbed would replace with Sadiq & if Chuks was subbed replaced by Musa

Our game plan should always include varying the attack ie go through the middle, wings & on occasion go long. But I agree the team was let down by the strikers
Your conclusions are so extreme based on so little evidence.
The summation of all you’ve written is that Egu is a terrible coach who made all the wrong decisions.

You should be applying for the job from your analysis, since you seem to know everything that Egu needed to have done right, but didn’t.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:28 am

He drags the ball wide....but at least I only do that when I tried to curve it
and don't get it right. Strangely Ndidi drags the ball wide when simply going for a pure hit. They don't teach many of these guys how to strike the ball.

Maybe Egu needs to call you up as Ndidi’s replacement.
:idea:
This guy. I know what you are doing (but I will pretend that I do not know for the sake of it).

Obviously my comment is partly tongue in cheek, but the mechanics of sports is not rocket science. The mechanics of sports is not the realm of GOATs.

A professional athlete is NOT somebody who is able to understand the mechanics of sports. This is a huge fallacy. ANYBODY can understand the mechanics of sports. That is why there are youtubers that can do certain sporting feats BETTER than professional athletes. What a professional athlete is, is someone who is conditioned at a high level and tailors an arsenal of repetitive drills for GAMEPLAY. Being a professional athlete is NOT about being the best at everything, but about being productive for gameplay.

There are so many freestylers that have better technical ability than professional footballers, but their abilities are not conditioned for gameplay.

So what the professionals do is separate to what any of us do, it is the realm of knowing when and where to be useful, not just flair for the sake of it. That is why two of our best players in the past 15 years, Ndidi and Mikel cannot shoot the ball, within the realm of their usefulness, they didn't need to.

BUT all of this does not mean that they could not have done better in finishing, and all of this doesn't mean that a non-professional cannot identify their mechanical errors. I watch Ndidi enough to know that how he drags the ball is poor mechanics. I am sorry but this is just the facts. He could win the Ballon d'or and it wouldn't change this fact.

Ndidi CANNOT shoot the ball. Professional or not. And YES there are many non-professionals that can shoot the ball better than Ndidi. This does not mean that they will succeed. They will fail for a number of reasons. It could be their fitness, it could be their mentality, it could be their attitude etc. but this is all beside the point. Neither here nor there.

I am not insulting the man, I probably have more respect for him than you do! You do not identify a player's trait unless you watch that player A LOT. I am either a psychopath that wastes his time hoping for someone to fail, OR I am a huge fan of the guy who deeply respects him. I am just a straight shooter, which is something you think does not exist.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Now I also watch Ndidi enough to know that in the past, he has cleanly hit the ball from long range.

So that presents an enigmatic situation. But I also noticed that he is less speculative in club football than he was in the past. He mostly contributes offensively when they are chasing the game or for corner kicks etc.

So confidence could be another element at play. Anyway, regardless of the WHY, observation simply shows that in recent years, he drags most of his shots wide, for club AND country, so this is definitely a pattern and not just randomness.

One need not invoke tbite into the discussion (I did so only to show that I understand the basic mechanics of shooting). Let me make a funnier suggestion, would Schmeichel hit the ball cleaner than Ndidi today? hmmmmm, the Dane actually has outfield ability! I do not know, but it is possible! I kid you not.
Last edited by Tbite on Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationsCup
Egg
Egg

Post by NationsCup »

[quote=Damunk post_id=5740315 time=1644053721 user_id=146]
[quote="Flex Swift" post_id=5740301 time=1644040928 user_id=1333]
When the replacement strikers were named some of us mentioned that both Taiwo and Sadiq were not good enough at this level and suggested that Dressers should have been selected because he is more clinical then both of the strikers taken to the tournament. Apart from being more clinical Dressers is faster than both and would have been ideal on the fast break. I remember in one of the group stage matches a fast break and Sadiq could not keep up with play and was missing in the box.

[/quote]
Your conclusions are so extreme based on so little evidence.
The summation of all you’ve written is that Egu is a terrible coach who made all the wrong decisions.

You should be applying for the job from your analysis, since you seem to know everything that Egu needed to have done right, but didn’t.
[/quote]

Its an opinion. Nothing wrong with it.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

And if anybody knows Ndidi personally, ask him. I bet you he will agree with me that he cannot shoot!

Here is a tweet of a snap from Iwobi admitting that he can't shoot from distance, though he claims that he rectified the issue.

[tweet][/tweet]
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Plain and Simple.....Bigpokey don get sense.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley